Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

2012 or 2013 Awards?

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Blastroid

Since Far Cry 3 launched so late in the year how do end of year releases work for awards? You can tell VGA's pick out a winner weeks if not months ahead of time in order to get all that CGI done in time. Not saying that Far Cry 3 is GOTY but Vaas would of been in the character running I would think if not for the late release. So is FC3 eligible for 2013 awards?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

I can see what you're getting at - games released in December tend to get shafted in terms of GOTY awards; but, regardless, 2012 is 2012; it doesn't make sense having games from 2012 listed as games from 2013.

The obvious solution is to have GOTY awards in January or February; but that's probably not going to happen...

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Marz

it's a 2012 game, and i don't think GB will forget about it in their GOTY awards this year, they all seem to have played it by now so they could have good discussion about it in their talks.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

The VGAs is a 2+ hour commercial for video games. Going to it for any sort of validation of quality is pointless. I tried to watch it for about 15 minutes, and couldn't get past the 100% scripted bullshit that it is.

Far Cry 3 should definitely get props for what it is, but I dunno that we should worry about what the VGAs does or doesn't do, and seeing great developers like Gearbox out there on stage making it look legit just makes me sad.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax

Geoff Keighley said on Twitter that FC3 is eligible for next year's awards.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By BlatantNinja23

I believe it wasn't up for nomination. I'm sure the vgas would let it be eligible for 2013, but like any game that comes out early, it'll be forgotten when it's time to make the list. It'll also have to go up against next gen titles, and won't stand a chance.

If Far Cry 3 isn't eligible for either... than that's kinda shitty.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Zekhariah

It would probably be eligible for the places that put December in the next calendar year. But it will have been so long off, and even more new consoles would have been potentially released, to make it a bit of a long shot for something like VGAs.

But all of the "omg this is so good" type stuff in the general enthusiast press about this game, and the relative lack of competition, should get it a decent amount of attention. It is kind of odd how media interest type items tend to get broken down into best of year type lists. Games get it a lot, but top ten lists are a definite thing on random metal music website too.....

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Hizang

2012, it's the games fault for coming out when it did not the critics.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By musubi

I think it will be eligible for all GOTY awards besides the VGAs simply because of the deadline and the production schedule for them.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

They're all games of the year if you ask me. But yeah, games, video games, I play the fuck out of them unless they bore me to tears and leave a fear of nothingness and sad games not played yet foretold upon a reason of intangibles unable to speak upon.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Justin258

@Claude said:

They're all games of the year if you ask me. But yeah, games, video games, I play the fuck out of them unless they bore me to tears and leave a fear of nothingness and sad games not played yet foretold upon a reason of intangibles unable to speak upon.

Late night posting or an attempt to adapt Gerard Manley Hopkins' poetry into prose?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Claude
    @believer258: Busted bigger than shit. I rephrase to catch a phrase of unworthiness to understand the abstract of my stand.
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By Justin258
    @Claude
    @believer258: Busted bigger than shit. I rephrase to catch a phrase of unworthiness to understand the abstract of my stand.
    I'm sure this makes perfect sense to someone.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Claude
    @believer258 said:

@Claude

I'm sure this makes perfect sense to someone.
    Believe me, I stand unobtrusive in my absolutely unintelligible unattainable intangible lingering means of prose that I throw upon the Giant Bomb faithful. I mean no harm. I usually have no meaning as well.
    SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Any awards show that wants to be taken seriously should present the awards in January or February of the next year, like any other industry. Not a week or two after the biggest games of the year come out.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By billyhoush

It's because Vaas was too bad ass for Samuel L Jackson.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By JasonR86

It came out this year so 2012.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.