Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

My couple of hates of the game so far...

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Blastroid

Don't get me wrong the game is great but there are a couple of things that make me cringe:

FALL DAMAGE - You can never tell if you are going to jump to your death or do a nice slide off a hill. Complete a quest now all I got to do is loot the body down the slight hill. Nope dead and have to do the mission all over again.

STEALTH MISSIONS - Objective is to kill them all. I am sorry sir you used a gun and you were supposed to use a knife only. WTF can't use my gun in a FPS game? Is this a FPK game instead.

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By living4theday258

No you cannot use your gun in an FPS game!

Jumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Jumbs

@Blastroid said:

Don't get me wrong the game is great but there are a couple of things that make me cringe:

FALL DAMAGE - You can never tell if you are going to jump to your death or do a nice slide off a hill. Complete a quest now all I got to do is loot the body down the slight hill. Nope dead and have to do the mission all over again.

STEALTH MISSIONS - Objective is to kill them all. I am sorry sir you used a gun and you were supposed to use a knife only. WTF can't use my gun in a FPS game? Is this a FPK game instead.

I agree with you on the fall damage to begin with, but I've now put enough time into the game to be able to recognise where I'm going to take fall damage and where I'm not, you'll get used to it eventually.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By ESREVER

Psssh guns! I take out enemy encampments with nothing but my knife!

I don't like how there isn't a crouch toggle off option. At least I haven't been able to find one. I'm having troubles adapting. But thats pretty much my only complaint.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Ares42

I think I figured out the problem with fall damage. It seems to be a trigger with running. As in, if you are running you can easily take fall damage from just small ledges, but if you're walking you can actually fall/slide down rather large distances.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Tennmuerti

Those missions are A. side activities, so you can completely ignore them if so desired. B. you can still use your guns on any of the enemies except the target C. are not stealth missions, the instant kill works on alerted enemies as long as they aren't looking directly at you, and the objective also completes if you kill the target by a standard knife attack, so basically you can run into those enemies guns blazing kill everyone, then run up to the target dude and take 2-3 knife swings at him

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Blastroid said:

Hmmmm, I think you are talking about the assassination missions, Just scope out the camp before hand with the camera to suss out who the leader is.

Yeah fall damage can be pretty funny though, was running through the jungle and saw a cliff to jump off into water, jumped off it and it was rocks below instead, DEAD.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kishinfoulux

Definitely agree on fall damage. There's times I can maneuver my way down a steep mountain/hillside and be okay and others I'll take a ton of damage.

Also I can not land the hang glider for the fucking life of me. I constantly eat dirt and have to heal up right away. >_>

adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By adziboy

@kishinfoulux: Press 'E' or the alternative to 'get in/out vehicle' on whatever you're playing, after dropping the hang glider. You have to be going level (holding down on the analog stick) to be able to land.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By EarlessShrimp

There was one point where I accidentally fell off a sizeable cliff, yet it continually respawned me on the edge of the cliff on some geometry that automatically slid me down the cliff and killed me. every. time. It was funny at first but then it got bothersome when I had to fast travel back to a safe house and trek back over to the camp. That's my only complain, and it's quite related to fall damage

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By plaintomato

The sliding effect for going down a steep hill is really well handled. I was surprised that it matters to me at all, but I like it a lot and will miss it now forever in games that just have you doing whatever you call that awkward way it's always been.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Adziboy said:

@kishinfoulux: Press 'E' or the alternative to 'get in/out vehicle' on whatever you're playing, after dropping the hang glider. You have to be going level (holding down on the analog stick) to be able to land.

I knew about bailing out, but I'm thinking my problem is not keeping it level enough. I'll try to pay more attention to that next time.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By BaneFireLord
    @Blastroid said:

Does using silencers get around that?
    MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikeGosot
    @BaneFireLord said:
    @Blastroid said:

Does using silencers get around that?
    I think he's talking about assassination mission. In them you can't use guns in your target.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mordukai
    @Tennmuerti said:

Those missions are A. side activities, so you can completely ignore them if so desired. B. you can still use your guns on any of the enemies except the target C. are not stealth missions, the instant kill works on alerted enemies as long as they aren't looking directly at you, and the objective also completes if you kill the target by a standard knife attack, so basically you can run into those enemies guns blazing kill everyone, then run up to the target dude and take 2-3 knife swings at him

All valid points but I think his issue is that they make it a requirement for not failing. Personally I don't mind them because I adore stealth but for people who don't it's really a nightmare. They could have just made it as a bonus thing like with clearing encampments where if you stealth them you get bonus exp. 
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ravenlight

First-Person Knifer is my new favorite genre.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Klei

@Blastroid said:

Fall damage can be negated by sliding down hills. Just hold back while sliding down. Don't jump either.

Forced stealth; use rocks. Enemies are dumb as rocks, and that's a good thing too, since it allow the stealth to work properly.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By alternate

Hunting. I understand they want to make tigers and bares something to be feared but when you empty a full clip of your SMG in to the animals head, that should be enough to kill it.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Evilsbane

The way you move around the world is awesome and feels so fluid. fall damage is not an issue if you aren't trying to sprint down a mountain!

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mordukai
    @Blastroid: Seems that quite a few people think the fall damage is pretty harsh, or at least very unrefined, so I expect them to patch that in soon. As far as Assassination mission then while I don't fully agree with you I do fully understand where you are coming from. it seems they took so much care to get the player "play his own style" that it's rather odd they will make knife/stealth kills a requirement for success or faliur. They could have just made it so the knife/stealth kill is a bonus requirement for extra exp or money. 
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jozzy

@plaintomato said:

The sliding effect for going down a steep hill is really well handled. I was surprised that it matters to me at all, but I like it a lot and will miss it now forever in games that just have you doing whatever you call that awkward way it's always been.

You know what crazy thing I just freaking LOVE that is seemingly so tiny and insignificant: the skill where you slide on the ground when you press crouch while running.

It just feels so bad-ass to be running the perimeter of an outpost and see someone almost spotting you but you just slide back in the bushes, with your gun pulling backwards. This game is the best Rambo simulator ever.

ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ma_rc_01
    @Blastroid said:

I did one of those knife kill missions but then a dog killed my guy and I still won, it was pretty awesome.
    plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By plaintomato

@jozzy said:

@plaintomato said:

You know what crazy thing I just freaking LOVE that is seemingly so tiny and insignificant: the skill where you slide on the ground when you press crouch while running.

It just feels so bad-ass to be running the perimeter of an outpost and see someone almost spotting you but you just slide back in the bushes, with your gun pulling backwards. This game is the best Rambo simulator ever.

Completely agree. They really handled the feeling of mobility really well. The sliding down hills, the climbing animations, the run slide you're talking about, the way you move fast enough to not feel like they purposely made you plod around or unable to sprint more than five feet just to pad out the length of the game. I liked FC2, and this is waaaay better. I guess I'll probably hit 20 hours of gameplay before even touching a story mission, just because it's fun.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

I don't mind stealth missions where you can actually kill someone but there is a story mission where you cannot be seen and you cannot kill anyone. It's instant fail if you are seen and sometimes it doesn't even give you the warning bar to say you're close to being seen. Whoever thought this was fun, it's not, it's annoying. Fuck the guy who put this in.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By alternate

Those assassination missions are so easy to cheese. The game auto-saves as soon as you make the kill, so just identify the target and run at him. If the other soldiers kill you then it saves having to walk all the way back to camp.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Karkarov

@Tennmuerti said:

Yeap I was hoping someone already pointed this stuff out. Personally I prefer takedowns anyway just because they net the most exp. Then again where I am in the story I am sitting on 2 maybe 3 skill points and have already unlocked every skill I have access to.....

The op's cliff complaint is legit though, I have died once or twice to what looked like a safe move.

@mordukai said:

@Blastroid: Seems that quite a few people think the fall damage is pretty harsh, or at least very unrefined, so I expect them to patch that in soon. As far as Assassination mission then while I don't fully agree with you I do fully understand where you are coming from. it seems they took so much care to get the player "play his own style" that it's rather odd they will make knife/stealth kills a requirement for success or faliur. They could have just made it so the knife/stealth kill is a bonus requirement for extra exp or money.

That isn't it. The mission is a Rakkyat "Dead Man" mission. They are literally paying you to kill the target as a "true Rakkyat" would. In other words the people posting the jobs are literally telling you that they want the dude killed with a knife. Since that is what they are paying you for that is how it has to be. Every other aspect of the mission is up to you though.

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Blastroid

Well after awhile I now became a master at the mountain ski slide. Holding back while sliding down even the steepest mountain works well. I also spent a point in fall health reduction. Still not a fan of knife kills as a mandatory. Loving the sniper rifle for taking out those alarm boxes from far away. The sound of a comodo dragon gives me the creeps.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.