Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VIII

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Feb 11, 1999

In the eighth numbered Final Fantasy title, Squall and his band of mercenaries fight to save their world from conquest and destruction. It introduced several new concepts to the franchise, including a subplot with an alternate main character, level-scaling enemies, and the Junction system.

Can I just move on with my life now?

TepiDDeatH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By TepiDDeatH

I'm ready to give up on FF8 . This is like the fourth playthrough, over like a fifteen year span, and I have yet to finish it. This last time, i'm at Ultimicia(sp?) and the boss after her, Griever, just one hit kills my party. No damage is shown, just dead. My question; "Can I just consider myself finished?"About 200 hours over the years. Is it finally time to say; "Well, I had a good run."

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By sagesebas
    @TepiDDeatH: I got to the very last boss in FFVII and couldn't beat it, so I stopped trying, it doesn't bother me, if you care about the story maybe watch a video.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

It's been a long time since I've played the game, but he is beatable. If I remember correctly, once you've beaten him, you should be set, since the boss after that is pretty damn easy.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By toowalrus

You can move on, if you can deal with the fact that you're just not good enough to beat a video game. CAN you deal with that?

TepiDDeatH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TepiDDeatH

That's just it, I know I " could". I could just try over and over and over and hope Phenix rebirth kicks in, but what's the chances of that happening? Mabey I'll try again on PS5, cause you know they'll still sell it in some form :)

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I got to seifer and gave up after getting stuck.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Evilsbane

Yes you should move on from the FF series in general it had a good run much like yourself.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By vidiot
    @TepiDDeatH said:
    "   I'm ready to give up on FF8 . This is like the fourth playthrough, over like a fifteen year span,
    Nitpick: Game was released in 1999, but I get what you're saying.

I remember spamming a bunch of GF abilities during the final fights, including Recover which fills everyone's HP, or something.
    That system is very exploitable. If you know what you're doing it can become the easiest in the series.
    dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By dtat
    @vidiot said:
    " @TepiDDeatH said:
    "   I'm ready to give up on FF8 . This is like the fourth playthrough, over like a fifteen year span,
    Nitpick: Game was released in 1999, but I get what you're saying. I remember spamming a bunch of GF abilities during the final fights, including Recover which fills everyone's HP, or something. That system is very exploitable. If you know what you're doing it can become the easiest in the series. "
    Unless you use Knights of the Round and kill the Final Bosses in VII in one hit. haha
    htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By htr10

honestly man, you've invested too much time and you're too close to give up now.  power through!   sounds like griever maybe got you with his pulsar shockwave.  you can either keep fighting and hope for a phoenix revive or you can try to beef up your characters HP some more.  iirc, pulsar shockwave can do as much as 6000 or 7000, but can also do considerably less than that.  you can do it.  there's like 13 years of FAQ info for FFVIII in case you can't figure it out.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11  Edited By JasonR86
    @TepiDDeatH:

FF8 is not worth a single play-through let alone your four attempts. 
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By vidiot
    @Dtat said:
    " @vidiot said:
    " @TepiDDeatH said:
    Nitpick: Game was released in 1999, but I get what you're saying. I remember spamming a bunch of GF abilities during the final fights, including Recover which fills everyone's HP, or something. That system is very exploitable. If you know what you're doing it can become the easiest in the series. "
    Unless you use Knights of the Round and kill the Final Bosses in VII in one hit. haha "
    Well, yeah. I would argue the amount of time getting Knights of the Round takes more time, than exploiting basic aspects of the Junction system.
    I remember finishing the first disk with like, over 6000 HP for my characters or something.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By napalm

The topic of this title made me laugh, haha.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dtat
    @vidiot said:
    " @Dtat said:
    " @vidiot said:
    " @TepiDDeatH said:
    Unless you use Knights of the Round and kill the Final Bosses in VII in one hit. haha "
    Well, yeah. I would argue the amount of time getting Knights of the Round takes more time, than exploiting basic aspects of the Junction system.I remember finishing the first disk with like, over 6000 HP for my characters or something. "
    That's true. I just think it's hilarious how easy the end of the game is when you get that summon!
    TheLeamenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheLeamenator
    @JasonR86: I BEG TO DIFFER! In my personal opinion, Final Fantasy VIII is THE BEST of the FF series... Unless, of course, you just don't like Final Fantasy at all, then your statement would have no relevance.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Milkman

Sure, you can quit now...you quitter.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By JasonR86
    @TheLeamenator said:
    @JasonR86: I BEG TO DIFFER! In my personal opinion, Final Fantasy VIII is THE BEST of the FF series... Unless, of course, you just don't like Final Fantasy at all, then your statement would have no relevance.
    Yep, don't like Final Fantasy at all.  I'm just a contrarian that hates people and all things JRPG.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Yeah something like that did happen, I was doing well then died like in a few hits from a boss and considered it cheap. I don't even know what happens thoughout the story or the end either.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By dichemstys

I just finished it. It was brutal.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By kingzetta

no, not for at least 8 more years.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NegativeCero

Even if you say you quit now, I still think you will go back to it eventually, so I say try to finish it. I would be pissed not to have finished the game after 15 years. Then again, I skipped VIII and jumped into IX.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GoofyGoober

Shit I gave up on disc 2 when your ship was getting invaded, so don't feel bad.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dichemstys
    @NegativeCero said:
    Even if you say you quit now, I still think you will go back to it eventually, so I say try to finish it. I would be pissed not to have finished the game after 15 years. Then again, I skipped VIII and jumped into IX.
    I skipped IX (though I have it) and jumped into X.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SlasherMan
    @birdflu777 said:
    @NegativeCero said:
    You, sir, missed THE best Final Fantasy every made.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By shirogane

Don't feel bad, i've never finished a single FF game. I've pretty much done what you did, get to the final boss and then never beaten it.

THough most of the time it was cause i didn't want to beat it and wanted to do everything else first, then just never got around to it.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By TehFlan

You can beat it man. I BELIEVE IN YOU!

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By themangalist

Ya, unless it's stressing you, don't give up! Have you looked up the internet for "hints"? Asked fellow GBers? You deserve to cheat a little for spending a decade playing that game!!

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dichemstys
    @SlasherMan said:
    @birdflu777 said:
    @NegativeCero said:
    You, sir, missed THE best Final Fantasy every made.
    I'm like, two hours into it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.