Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Anyone else want to play it on the 360 for the achievements?

• 82 results
    bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By bhhawks78

I have both consoles but was going to get on 360 because
    Achievements>Trophies for me (even though I BARELY give a F about achievements)
    Cross game chat, I am in party chat a ton on 360 during single player games, or at least using the friendslist.  My ps3 friendslist?  *crickets* ps3 cross game party chat....nope.

Not buying or even renting it now though, sorry shouldn't have to wade through 20-25 hours of crap to get to "the good stuff" and people I trust basically saying all that time was essentially holding up and hitting A.  Nooo thanks.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Nah ff13 doesn't even interest me enough for achievements...

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By Red

I actually do prefer playing games on my 360 because I enjoy its interface more, and it is placed better. 

And I don't even really have a good HDTV, so I think I'm going to purchase my Final Fantasy for the 360.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#54  Edited By Meowayne

The achievement design in this game is pretty bad. So far (completed disc 1 yesterday), unlocking achievements in XIII has not been very fun.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Meowayne said:

" The achievement design in this game is pretty bad. So far (completed disc 1 yesterday), unlocking achievements in XIII has not been very fun. "

This is a huge step forward considering the mess they made with Last Remnant's achievements. Really this game has fun grindy time-sink achievements, you just can't work on any of them besides like Lore Master until the end of the game. So it will probably take you the same amount of time to S rank as many other RPGs (if PS3trophies.org is to be believed) you just can't start on any of them until Pulse basically. Essentially it isn't a game that rewards you with dumb shit like kill 25 enemies! or Open 100 chests! There are only 35 achievements and you actually have to you know, achieve them.
    Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Gruff182

The ironic thing with Achievements is that you don't actually achieve anything.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Meowayne
    @Zenaxzd said:
    " @Meowayne said:

" The achievement design in this game is pretty bad. So far (completed disc 1 yesterday), unlocking achievements in XIII has not been very fun. "

This is a huge step forward considering the mess they made with Last Remnant's achievements. Really this game has fun grindy time-sink achievements, you just can't work on any of them besides like Lore Master until the end of the game. So it will probably take you the same amount of time to S rank as many other RPGs (if PS3trophies.org is to be believed) you just can't start on any of them until Pulse basically. Essentially it isn't a game that rewards you with dumb shit like kill 25 enemies! or Open 100 chests! There are only 35 achievements and you actually have to you know, achieve them. "

I don't give a damn about S-Ranks. Good achievement design, for me, is a healthy mixture of 

• A good deal of achievements with few points at the beginning to please whoever has bought your game (this could've made the dreadful first 3-4 hours of XIII a little more enjoyable)
    • Few achievements with high points for major story progression
    • A couple of achievements for doing something cool/extraordinary
    • A couple of achievements you can work on throughout the game
    • A couple of those hardcore, sadistic achievements S-rank-whores like to work on

I would have liked some small-scale achievements for getting high combat scores or rankings, for taming my first Eidolon, for winning battles under specific conditions, for beating bosses or for completing a disc. 

Instead half of the points are story progression and the other half you cannot even work on until the last third of the game.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Meowayne: It just comes down to what you want from achievements as you've described. I don't care about achievements until I've beaten a game  (as really it has always been about adding more fun things to do once I beat the game, for me) so the structure for XIII works fine. I'm a huge achievement fan but gaining easy ones for doing simple stuff has never brought me any sort of enjoyment. I play a game primarily for it's actual content, I don't need pity achievements at the start of the game to please me for my purchase.
    Metalisticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Metalisticpain
    @jNerd said:
    " I'm seriously debating which version to get just because I want achievements. I don't have many PS3 games so it'd be a great addition. But fuck trophies, I want FF achievements :P God I'm such a n00b sometimes. I know the PS3 version is prettier......  How awful is 1080i FF13? Any better then 720p @ all? "
    I bought it on PS3 for the better visuals. But will rent it later for the achieves on 360 :P
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60  Edited By Rockdalf
    @CL60 said:
    " I'm an achievement whore and even I got it on PS3. "
    Same.  I was biased because of my recent PS3 purchase though.  Was a close call, but if it makes you feel better, I picked PS3 version, which only I could play over 360 version which I and two other friends who enjoy the series could play.  To make me seem less like a dick they would probably keep it for three months, not put more than ten hours into it and say they'll play it when they quit WoW.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By CL60
    @ez123 said:
    " @CL60: Didn't say it was but it's good to look at the rest of the post and put it into context.  Assuming doesn't help anything, either. "
    The rest of the post has nothing that can put that into context...
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By xyzygy

I got it based off of achievements. The 360 version is beautiful - all those screenshots people post are just that - screen shots. Games are motion not screenshots. I play my games for the gameplay, not just the cinematics. That said, doesn't the 360 version have less framerate problems anyway?  

The difference is extremely minor and those who think that the difference is big enough to change the whole experience is just a sour Sony/FF fanboy. I'm happy with picking the 360 version over the PS3 version.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#63  Edited By Addfwyn
    @xyzygy:  
    The PS3 version has no framerate problems I am aware of at all. 
    Yes, the differences are minor enough that it'd make it silly to get a PS3 just for FXIII, I don't think anybody would argue that. 

It just makes sense to get the technically more solid port though, if you happen to have both consoles already.  The 360 port is just a nice plus for those in the US audience that don't have both.  I don't really have the option anyway, not having a 360, but I'd play on the PS3 if I did have both.  
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @xyzygy said:
    "  That said, doesn't the 360 version have less framerate problems anyway? "
    I've had similar frame rate problems with both versions (that is to say the only time it took a 2 second dip was when I tried to turn my camera and look off into the distance in chapter 2).
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By xyzygy
    @Addfwyn: Oh really? I've just read this on other forums and reviews. I don't know, I haven't played the PS3 version. I'm on disc 3 on the 360 version, which is  

on the PS3 version. There is a bit of framerate stuff there but it's nothing really.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Meowayne

The only thing the 360 does better is the filtering, i.e. less blurry textures in the distance.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Addfwyn
    @xyzygy:  
    It's possible, I haven't frantically spun the camera or something trying to reproduce one, so I haven't had any that I noticed at least.  I think we can agree the differences are overall, pretty minor.  Unless you're sitting next to a friend playing the PS3 version on a TV right next to yours or something. 

...if you are, I want to see your gaming room set up, cause that sounds pretty awesome.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#68  Edited By Fallen189

It's the same game.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Meowayne
    @xyzygy said:
    " The difference is extremely minor and those who think that the difference is big enough to change the whole experience is just a sour Sony/FF fanboy. I'm happy with picking the 360 version over the PS3 version. "
    No. While its true that the gameplay looks fine and I would never complain about the difference between 720p and 576p (though it IS very noticable), the video compression issues are BAD. I don't know what TV you're playing on, but even on my 37" 1080p display, the FMV compression definitely makes this game less enjoyable. The FMV look awful at times. It is distracting and it makes you wish more of the cutscenes were in-game. 

The diference is not "minor", especially not since it is completely unnecessary and solely due to Square-Enix's sloppyness.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By xyzygy
    @Meowayne said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " The difference is extremely minor and those who think that the difference is big enough to change the whole experience is just a sour Sony/FF fanboy. I'm happy with picking the 360 version over the PS3 version. "
    No. While its true that the gameplay looks fine and I would never complain about the difference between 720p and 576p (though it IS very noticable), the video compression issues are BAD. I don't know what TV you're playing on, but even on my 37" 1080p display, the FMV compression definitely makes this game less enjoyable. The FMV look awful at times. It is distracting and it makes you wish more of the cutscenes were in-game.   The diference is not "minor", especially not since it is completely unnecessary and solely due to Square-Enix's sloppyness. "
    Dude, I'm having a good time with the game. Get over it. It's not distracting to me.

@Fallen189 said:
    " It's the same game. "
    What this guy said.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ZenaxPure

Eh yeah it is noticeable especially in the FMV scenes but detracting from the experience? Not for me at all, seems like such a minor thing honestly.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By keyhunter

Keep in mind:
    This game is fucking boring, achievements are my only incentive to finish it.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Addfwyn
    @keyhunter:  
    Okay, while I think the TC has the right to enjoy metagaming if he wants, if the ONLY reason you are playing a game is for the points, that's kind of dumb. 

The point of games is to have fun, if you don't like it, go play a different game instead.  
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By keyhunter
    @Addfwyn: Hey, what if the gameplay, and story really pick up? I would have missed out if not for achievements.
    Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#75  Edited By Xanth93

Get the PS3 version, unless you are a real achievement whore. I am still curious about the difference between the versions, but I have heard too many times that the 360 version looks worse. And by the one picture I've seen of both versions, I can concur. PS3 version all the way.

soccerkid82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#76  Edited By soccerkid82

You should get it on Playstation because:

It's native to the playstation.  Final Fantasy (post Nintendo, of course) found a home on the Playstation.  Starting with FFVII, it's been a primarily DualShock set of games and the controller just feels right for the series.

It's MUCH better looking, both in-game and cutscene-wise. 

Finally, it has trophies!  I understand points-whores (such as myself) would rather play a multiplatform game on 360 for achievements to boost our gamerscore, but it's just as satisfying (if not moreso) to hear that trophy ping.  But, if achievements are that important, get it on 360.  As for me, I got it on playstation (for these reasons and more) and LOVE it.  I'll likely get it on 360 when it drops in price for the achievements (worth multiple playthroughs!)

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#77  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @Bigandtasty said:

" @OllyOxenFree:  Again, they're other people. How does other people playing for achievements ruin your fun if you don't care about achievements?"

Because I care about other people.  I want to express my opinions of what I think about the situation.  It's like (well this is kinda harsh) but it's like watching other parents abusing their children.  Sure they are not my children, so why should I care right?  Nothing will happen to my children so I should not care, right?
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ez123
    @CL60: Well, it didn't have any punctuation so grammar wasn't the posters first priority.
    MonkeyGekko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By MonkeyGekko

I got the PS3 version

SteveVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By SteveVice

Yo. This is stupid.....achievements. Peace out

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#81  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @OllyOxenFree: People playing video games the wrong way = child abuse? 

You're not going to change achievement whores' minds by proclaiming that they are the cancer that is killing video games. Enjoying your own games is a far better use of your time.

I'm done.
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#82  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @Bigandtasty said:
    " @OllyOxenFree: People playing video games the wrong way = child abuse?   You're not going to change achievement whores' minds by proclaiming that they are the cancer that is killing video games. Enjoying your own games is a far better use of your time. I'm done. "
    You totally missed the point of what I said.

But whatever.  I'm done as well.
    elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#83  Edited By elko84

buy it on ps3.  beat it.  rent it on 360 for achievements.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.