Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

FFXIII grinds to a halt...

ayarti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By ayarti

So, i picked up FFXIII on release. I had read a lot about peoples criticisms leading up to the release, and none of what people were pointing out as design flaws really bothered me (the linearity, combat system, etc.). Once i started playing, i was immediately drawn into the story and found the combat to be fantastic. After a few hours of play, i noticed a bit of a formula developing: You control a party of two, run down a corridor, clearing all the enemies, then watch a cut scene at the end. Eventually, you'll take control of a different set of 2 characters who are in a different locale and pretty much do the same thing you just did. While i was conscious of this, it really didn't bother me after a while. I really liked the cut scenes, i thought the combat was challenging and fun for the most part, and overall i was really enjoying pushing forward and moving on with the story, as linear as that may be!

I am now 25 - 30 hours in, where the game has opened up a bit, and at least for the moment, the linearity is gone, and i have to say that i feel a little lost! I haven't played the game in about 2 weeks and i'm not sure when i'll put it in and continue on... What i've found with a lot of the FF games i've played is that I get a bit torn between playing through the story and doing side quests. In the other FF games, the linearity has been somewhat masked by the overworld maps and towns, so when it comes to plodding through the story and hunting out a side quest boss, there isn't as much of a stark contrast as what i've come to experience in FF13. Its like i've been lead down a corridor for 25 hours, then out of nowhere dropped into the middle of a vast sprawling field. It all feels a bit overwhelming.

I'm curious if anyone else had an experience like this? I will certainly get back into it soon, and figure out if i want to push the story forward or do a bit of side questing, but at least for the moment my drive to play it has totally gone.

ayarti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ayarti

So, i picked up FFXIII on release. I had read a lot about peoples criticisms leading up to the release, and none of what people were pointing out as design flaws really bothered me (the linearity, combat system, etc.). Once i started playing, i was immediately drawn into the story and found the combat to be fantastic. After a few hours of play, i noticed a bit of a formula developing: You control a party of two, run down a corridor, clearing all the enemies, then watch a cut scene at the end. Eventually, you'll take control of a different set of 2 characters who are in a different locale and pretty much do the same thing you just did. While i was conscious of this, it really didn't bother me after a while. I really liked the cut scenes, i thought the combat was challenging and fun for the most part, and overall i was really enjoying pushing forward and moving on with the story, as linear as that may be!

I am now 25 - 30 hours in, where the game has opened up a bit, and at least for the moment, the linearity is gone, and i have to say that i feel a little lost! I haven't played the game in about 2 weeks and i'm not sure when i'll put it in and continue on... What i've found with a lot of the FF games i've played is that I get a bit torn between playing through the story and doing side quests. In the other FF games, the linearity has been somewhat masked by the overworld maps and towns, so when it comes to plodding through the story and hunting out a side quest boss, there isn't as much of a stark contrast as what i've come to experience in FF13. Its like i've been lead down a corridor for 25 hours, then out of nowhere dropped into the middle of a vast sprawling field. It all feels a bit overwhelming.

I'm curious if anyone else had an experience like this? I will certainly get back into it soon, and figure out if i want to push the story forward or do a bit of side questing, but at least for the moment my drive to play it has totally gone.

Void_Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Void_Wizard

I did feel kind of lost but I enjoy exploring the massive landscape and I did some quests when I got to that part. I heard after you beat the game you can go back and do more sidequests(aka missions) if you wish which is what I plan on doing.

spursfan20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By spursfan20

i had that same feeling of not being sure what to do next. after finishing all the d rank missions, i did stop playing for about two weeks, but once i got back to playing, the combat pulled me back in. right now i'm focused on finishing the game while doing only the missions that take me in the same direction as the way point.
    ayarti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ayarti
    @Void_Wizard:  Yeah i heard that too. I've had a bit of a Final Fantasy curse, where i'll get to the end of the game, then just not finish it... For example, I've got to the end of 7, 9 and 10, but then just stopped playing them... Only recently when i bought FF7 on the PSN store did i actually go and finish the game. I think my problem has stemmed from my experience in playing FF8. That was the first FF i played, and damn did i play that game! I did everything in it, grinded all my characters up to level 100, had the best weapons, etc etc. So when it came to the other FF games, i'd get to the end, and realise i had all this grinding and side questing to do if i wanted to extend the game further, and i just kind of lost interest!

I don't expect this to happen with FF13, I will definitely put it back in and play on, just for now i don't have the biggest urge to do so.

@Spursfan20: That sounds like a good way to do it... I went down some ridiculously long pathway, the complete opposite direction from the objective, to go after one of the D rank quests... I'm glad they have the teleport things, because i was dreading having to retrace my steps when i was ready to go back to the objectives.
    Chefskippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chefskippy

I had completed a few mission quests but proceded to continue the story.  Honestly the creatures in this area were kicking me down.  I beat  a few, but any odd combonation of creatures usallly sent me to game over.  Of course, after the story was finished I returned and now kick them all over the place.  Also, easily get the 5star rating for the first few MISSION quest.  I believe a 5star rating for all 60+ missions is an achievment.....  for which I plan to complete by X-mas of 2012.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xyzygy

Yeah I got past that whole linearity thing too. It honestly didn't bother me at all. I mean if I wasn't doing the story, what the hell else should I be doing? There are plenty of missions in the game (64 to be precise) but using the excuse that you don't get to start them until like 30 hours in is a lazy argument, for those people who do argue that. I just really find that people dig too deep to find this game's flaws. 

I got the game on launch too and didn't take it out until I got 1000/1000 on it, I had that much fun with the game. It really is one of my favorite RPGs ever, behind Lost Odyssey and Chrono Trigger. 

But I can totally understand what you mean when you say you feel a bit lost after starting up again. The only real thing to tell you where to go is a dot on the map screen and there really isn't like a story summary to say "This is what you've done last". My advice is to just explore, you'll probably find some useful items too. 

@Chefskippy: That achievement is actually not that tough, just finish all the missions first. When you finish the last one you'll get an item which helps a TON with getting 5 stars. They practically hand them to you.

ayarti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ayarti
    @Chefskippy: 
    Yeah i know what you mean... I was kicking the crap out of the Behemoths in the previous levels, but i tried to take one on when i got to Gran Pulse and lasted all but about 10 seconds... It's good to know that they let you go back after you finish the game off.

@xyzygy:
    Wow, that's dedication! Some of those achievements/trophies look pretty tough. Its not so much that i'm lost in the literal sense, i know where it is i have to go if i want the story to continue, but i'm kind of lost in the sense that i don't know what i should do next... Should i continue the story, or go exploring. This questioning of what i should do next has totally dried up my urge to play, at least for now!
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xyzygy
    @ayarti: I see what you mean. Well for me, I had the most fun after the game. You can do everything you can do now on Gran Pulse after you beat the game, but you will also want to make sure you're strong enough to handle the enemies before the boss and the boss himself. So why not just continue the story, if you're stuck do some grinding or missions, then continue on when you feel strong enough? Upgraading weapons and accessories works awesome too.
    WhytePanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WhytePanther

I agree, doing at least a few quests at the beginning is a really good idea, especially when you consider how weak you are compared to the Behemoths at the beginning of Chapter 11.  If you follow the quests in number order, you go opposite of the way the story sends you out to go, but see a few interesting cutscenes along the way, including at least one scene that I'm surprised wasn't mandatory.  I mean, how else were you supposed to figure out which way to go? (aside from a little yellow arrow on your radar...)  Plus, the enemies in that region feel a little more like the natural progression from the enemies you had faced up until then, and doing these quests opens up the teleporters, making it infinitely easier to get back here to start sidequesting again later on.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By vidiot

I'm pretty much in the same exact boat. Granted I usually bounce between a few games, but I really have lost quite a bit of interest in XIII. I will complete it, but probably after I've gotten the platinum trophy for Yakuza 3, and there's also Resonance of Fate which has been eating away a bunch of my time.

It's funny that when we hit the open area's of the game we lost our interest in it. It's not necessarily that lack of "walking forward and grinding", but I've been running to a few story points just for the game to point me the other way to the next destination. Very disorienting. 

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By StrikeALight

I don't like the fact that you can't fully upgrade your party until after the main game. The post-game felt extremely jarring to me after beating the final boss, which (IMO) should have been segued better.  

The missions are fun once you get access to the chocobos and unlock all the c'ieth transporters. I did around half of them (up to the faultwarrens) before finishing the story, which worked well for me as the challenge felt just about right . I had maxed out all lvl 4 primary roles and had acquired  tier 2 weapons at that stage, and only a couple of missions gave me some slight trouble.  

Next up is cp grinding / missions before going for my ultimate weapons.  

Spoilers >>>>>> 

The chapter 13 bosses were a complete joke, anyone else agree? The build-up in Orphan's Cradle was far more challenging. I was expecting much tougher fights after that initial slog.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Fallen189

I got up to the boss of Ch12, and after getting it to a sliver of HP, it turns to one shot my leader. Weird game.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By JCGamer
    @Spursfan20 said:
    " i had that same feeling of not being sure what to do next. after finishing all the d rank missions, i did stop playing for about two weeks, but once i got back to playing, the combat pulled me back in. right now i'm focused on finishing the game while doing only the missions that take me in the same direction as the way point. "
    I'm about at he same place.  I got to chapter 11 in about a week, then God of War III hit me and took a month break (while I played through the GoW Collection).  Now I want finish the game, but I'm a little bored and not really sure why the hell my characters want to go to this city on Pulse.  Anyway, I do enjoy the combat so hopefully the story will pick up.
    Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Junpei

I found t while I thoroughly enjoy the game, I need to take a break from it occasionally. For me the break has typically been with either NHL10 or Yakuza 3 which have sucked a good chunck of time away. I'll step away for a week or two before coming back usually. Hell, I'm at the end of chapter 12 near the end of the game and I haven't played in a week and a half or so.

Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lambert

It is a shitty excuse for a video game. One of the worst titles to come out in the last decade. Fact.

ayarti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ayarti
    @Lambert: Thanks for clarifying that for me. Here i was thinking i enjoyed the game, when in actual FACT it's one of the worst games of the decade. How silly of me.
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ricetopher
    @ayarti: Judging by your post count I'll assume your new, and use this to educate you on the flag button..its how you deal with trolls here (I've done it for you now)
    obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By obcdexter
    @ayarti: 
    Yes, how very nice of him to enlighten us.
    " It is a shitty excuse for a FORUM POST. One of the worst COMMENTS to come out in the last decade. Fact. "
    ayarti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ayarti
    @ricetopher:  Ah, i see. I have also flagged him now! 
    I have been on the site for a while, just haven't been active in the forums. I like the idea of the quest system, so i'm making more of an effort to participate in the site, rather than just listen to the bombcast and watch the QL's!
    StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By StrikeALight

Finally raised enough money to buy my final upgraded weapons and other bits. I'm sick of them bloody turtles. Just a few missions left then time to call it a day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.