I cried at the end of FFXIII

  • 62 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Edited by Kombat (2205 posts) -

Hey look, Giant Bomb is full of a bunch of insensitive dicks that reward someone brave enough to admit something like this with a spew of vulgarity.  Jesus Christ, this combined with the pathetic review score bitching that went on over God of War 3 has got me wishing I could go back to the early days of the site, before it became NeoGAF. 
 
@Mourne said:

" You're crying at the end of video games...?  Please, don't say this out loud, in public, or around any of your friends.  I won't fault you for tearing up at some actual melodrama, but this game missed the mark on that entirely. "
You're part of the problem.  Why is having an emotional response to a game a bad thing?  It's just as legitimate as crying at the end of a movie.  And, who are you to say that the game "missed the mark" as far as evoking tears is concerned?  Everyone consuming any type of media has their own set of circumstances, and all of them define the reaction they'll have to anything.  Please stop using yourself as the template for human emotion.  
 
And, just so everyone knows, crying when you think something is sad doesn't make your dick fall off.  I know it's a shocking prospect, but it's true.
#52 Posted by GaspoweR (2818 posts) -

The intro part of UP was a tear-jerker. Just sayin'.

#53 Posted by Egge (446 posts) -
@Zenaxzd: Sure, I guess it depends on what level of comprehension we're talking about here. FFXIII is indeed very easy to understand in terms of "these guys are the heroes because of this, that guy is evil because of that, let's go kick some ass", but for me that's just not good enough when there's so much metaphysical crap going on around the central characters and their motivations. While very basic facts about fal'Cies, Cie'ths, Coccon, Pulse etc. are conveyed (albeit in all sorts of spectacularly long-winded and impractical ways) over the course of the game, there's just not enough non-datalogged context provided to make a sane person care about the story and keep focusing on the larger picture. And in a game this long and chatty, that's a huge problem.
#54 Posted by sawfish22 (237 posts) -

Did you also cry at the end of Peggle and/or Plants vs. Zombies?

#55 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

I'm not bashful to cry during movies. I have a heart. But no game has ever gotten me there. Sometimes the music tugs at me a little, but the stories are usually too hard-boiled, pulpy, or self-conscious for me to suspend my disbelief long enough to get that open. Don't get me wrong, that's partly why I love them. None of Raimi's movies have made me cry. No comic book has ever made me cry. And I still love both of those. I'm sure games will get me there soon, though. 
#56 Posted by mrcool11 (469 posts) -
@pwnasaurus said:
" OH NOES THOSE FICTIONAL CHARACTERS THAT ARENT REAL WAT WILL YOU DO?!?!?!?!?!?!?1111one!!!!111!!? "
ROFFLE
#57 Posted by Lautaro (448 posts) -
@Kombat said:
" Hey look, Giant Bomb is full of a bunch of insensitive dicks that reward someone brave enough to admit something like this with a spew of vulgarity.  Jesus Christ, this combined with the pathetic review score bitching that went on over God of War 3 has got me wishing I could go back to the early days of the site, before it became NeoGAF. 
 
@Mourne said:
" You're crying at the end of video games...?  Please, don't say this out loud, in public, or around any of your friends.  I won't fault you for tearing up at some actual melodrama, but this game missed the mark on that entirely. "
You're part of the problem.  Why is having an emotional response to a game a bad thing?  It's just as legitimate as crying at the end of a movie.  And, who are you to say that the game "missed the mark" as far as evoking tears is concerned?  Everyone consuming any type of media has their own set of circumstances, and all of them define the reaction they'll have to anything.  Please stop using yourself as the template for human emotion.   And, just so everyone knows, crying when you think something is sad doesn't make your dick fall off.  I know it's a shocking prospect, but it's true. "
This man speaks the truth, it's crazy that people want videogames to be taken seriously then laugh at someone when they have an emotional reaction to one. I don't care if you thought the plot was TEH CHEEZY ANIMEZ LOL theres no need to laugh at the OP.
#58 Edited by Mourne (789 posts) -
@Lautaro said:

" @Kombat said:

"@Mourne said:

" You're crying at the end of video games...?  Please, don't say this out loud, in public, or around any of your friends.  I won't fault you for tearing up at some actual melodrama, but this game missed the mark on that entirely. "

You're part of the problem.  Why is having an emotional response to a game a bad thing?  It's just as legitimate as crying at the end of a movie.  And, who are you to say that the game "missed the mark" as far as evoking tears is concerned?  Everyone consuming any type of media has their own set of circumstances, and all of them define the reaction they'll have to anything.  Please stop using yourself as the template for human emotion.   And, just so everyone knows, crying when you think something is sad doesn't make your dick fall off.  I know it's a shocking prospect, but it's true. "
This man speaks the truth, it's crazy that people want videogames to be taken seriously then laugh at someone when they have an emotional reaction to one. I don't care if you thought the plot was TEH CHEEZY ANIMEZ LOL theres no need to laugh at the OP. "
No worries, I wasn't laughing at him--just openly mocking him in a  facetious fashion.  EDIT: I just took the time to actually read your post, Dr. Phil. As I stated in the original post, I have no issue with getting emotional over actual melodrama, but if this is bringing on tears, it's only because of the despair they feel from spending 40 hours in such a short span of time to be left with such an empty experience.
 
The reason games cannot be taken seriously is that games like Modern Warfare 2 are considered to have a plot. I've read crossword puzzles with more coherent stories.
 
While the standards are so low, we aren't going to get very far.
#59 Posted by xyzygy (9899 posts) -

Why are people bashing this guy for crying at a video game? I have done it too. It happens. Get a life.

#60 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Egge said:
" I skipped the ending cinematics entirely, that's how little I cared about the story. A fun game, but the story didn't make any sense at all. Or maybe it did, if one bothered to read the datalogs. I refused to do that; just as I refused to read the Codex in Dragon Age: Origins. If a game can't convey all the basic facts you need to know - especially a game with as many lengthy cutscenes as DA:O or FFXIII - there's something seriously wrong with the storytelling in that game... "
You say the story didn't make any sense...yet you skipped the cinematics..
#61 Posted by Lautaro (448 posts) -
@Mourne said:
" @Lautaro said:

" @Kombat said:

"@Mourne said:

" You're crying at the end of video games...?  Please, don't say this out loud, in public, or around any of your friends.  I won't fault you for tearing up at some actual melodrama, but this game missed the mark on that entirely. "

You're part of the problem.  Why is having an emotional response to a game a bad thing?  It's just as legitimate as crying at the end of a movie.  And, who are you to say that the game "missed the mark" as far as evoking tears is concerned?  Everyone consuming any type of media has their own set of circumstances, and all of them define the reaction they'll have to anything.  Please stop using yourself as the template for human emotion.   And, just so everyone knows, crying when you think something is sad doesn't make your dick fall off.  I know it's a shocking prospect, but it's true. "
This man speaks the truth, it's crazy that people want videogames to be taken seriously then laugh at someone when they have an emotional reaction to one. I don't care if you thought the plot was TEH CHEEZY ANIMEZ LOL theres no need to laugh at the OP. "
No worries, I wasn't laughing at him--just openly mocking him in a  facetious fashion.  EDIT: I just took the time to actually read your post, Dr. Phil. As I stated in the original post, I have no issue with getting emotional over actual melodrama, but if this is bringing on tears, it's only because of the despair they feel from spending 40 hours in such a short span of time to be left with such an empty experience. The reason games cannot be taken seriously is that games like Modern Warfare 2 are considered to have a plot. I've read crossword puzzles with more coherent stories. While the standards are so low, we aren't going to get very far. "
Wow way to call me Dr Phil, thats some edgy stuff man. As for the emotional reaction this person had all you're doing is laughing at them for reacting to something differently than you would. I mean why can't all humans react exactly the same to everything. Just because you think the game is shit and empty after 40 hours that doesn't mean everyone will agree with you. Also I agree that MW2 had a pretty shitty plot, but to me that game is the equivalent of an action movie (and those get away with pretty ridiculous plots).
#62 Edited by Mourne (789 posts) -
@Lautaro said:

"Wow way to call me Dr Phil, thats some edgy stuff man. As for the emotional reaction this person had all you're doing is laughing at them for reacting to something differently than you would. I mean why can't all humans react exactly the same to everything. Just because you think the game is shit and empty after 40 hours that doesn't mean everyone will agree with you. Also I agree that MW2 had a pretty shitty plot, but to me that game is the equivalent of an action movie (and those get away with pretty ridiculous plots). "

Already done talking about FF13; we disagree, but luckily you're here to console him (I'm leading you on again, yes).

Joking around aside: I do agree that MW2 is the equivalent of an action film, but we should also note that there are plenty of those with interesting and engaging stories (and it's the same for games--Modern Warfare 1 for starters). I'm up for some absurdity in my action games so long as it's presented in an even remotely believable fashion. If they don't want it to be taken that way, they should perhaps avoid approaching it with such an ultra-realistic edge. If you plan to play Splinter Cell: Conviction, you'll see what I mean about things coming in with the realism and leaving it right at the door.
 
One problem with this game's story that was also a problem with MW2 is that they don't show the gravity of events in a meaningful way. Hell, if you go by the cinematics and exploration parts of FF13 set in the general population, the whole world has a population of about one hundred and thirty-five. When you played the old FF games, you got to hear a bit of commentary from the locals as to the bigger story events. You could actually witness some development that wasn't forced on you (through idle, unconvincing conversations with the main cast).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.