Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

When does this game really start being final fantasy ?

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Yanngc33

I'm 15 hours in and i still cant choose my party members, the game is still teaching me how to play and the game is one big hallway. At what point does the game set me free and lets me explore and control my party like a big boy ? :p 
    Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SuperSecretAgenda
    @Yanngc33 said:
    " I'm 15 hours in and i still cant choose my party members, the game is still teaching me how to play and the game is one big hallway. At what point does the game set me free and lets me explore and control my party like a big boy ? :p  "
    Exploration? Control? 

Welcome to 2010 RPGs. Or rather, 2010 FF.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

At about the 16 hour mark, you will encounter a character named Bill. When at this point you open your menu, choose "settings", eject the game and insert Lost Odyssey, the game starts being Final Fantasy.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By MachoFantastico

Seriously though, aren't you tired of the whole Final Fantasy formula? It's looking rather old now and gaming as moved on. I've become sick of Japanese RPG's for trying to copy Final Fantasy but tagging along current generation graphics onto anything. I wanted to love Lost Odyssey, but thought the battle system was bloody awful.  

Maybe that's just me, but the industry needs to move on. I'm actually liking FF13 despite it's flaws, the combat is familiar but refreshing. 

Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lambert

The question should be:  "When does this game start being fun?" 
    Answer: Never

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By ZenaxPure

I love how this thread has 2 posts in a row of people on the opposite end of the spectrum. It blows my mind how separated people are on the whole issue. 

I think Square just needs to realize some people want to play a game with the same formula over and over and over until they die and branch off into two series: Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy Classic and just copy/paste the same mechanics into a new story/characters and ship it every 2 years or so and call it FF classic and keep the new awesome ideas like 10 through 13 rolling in for FF15 and beyond. It seems they are kind of taking this approach with 13 and Vs13 but will it become a staple, who knows.

Of course this is the internet and people still wouldn't be happy but hey maybe less people would complain.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

chapter 11 i hear is the magic number, i'm still at chapter 10

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Whisperkill

Whenever you want it to be

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By xyzygy
    @Meowayne said:
    " At about the 16 hour mark, you will encounter a character named Bill. When at this point you open your menu, choose "settings", eject the game and insert Lost Odyssey, the game starts being Final Fantasy.   "
    Haha, this. 

This game is a lot different than other FF games... and that's why so many people don't like it. 

If you haven't played Lost Odyssey however, that's where you'll find your true FF experience.
    deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deadmanforking
    @Meowayne said:
    " At about the 16 hour mark, you will encounter a character named Bill. When at this point you open your menu, choose "settings", eject the game and insert Lost Odyssey, the game starts being Final Fantasy.   "
    Yup, that seems about right.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    Haha, this.  This game is a lot different than other FF games... and that's why so many people don't like it.  If you haven't played Lost Odyssey however, that's where you'll find your true FF experience. "
    That is the funny thing though, every FF since X has been different. Hell Lost Odyssey isn't really like any of the games other than the first 3.  

I mean really, I am never going to get the argument of LO being the "real FF13". The basic mechanics of combat in that game haven't even been in a FF since #3 which didn't even come outside of Japan originally, which neither did 2 for that matter. The "FF experience" people are familiar with is fast moving battles with little bars filling up, which hell FF13 is closer than LO at achieving that. As for anything else like town exploration and airships and all that fun stuff that "make" a FF game are just simple staples of the genre. Breath of Fire had towns, a world map, turn based combat (that had you selecting all attacks for 1 turn at once), and at the end you had a giant bird to fly around on. Does that make BoF a Final Fantasy game? Exactly, it doesn't. 

This sort of logic just leads to any game post FFIX not being a Final Fantasy and some other bizarre series and games like Breath of Fire, Golden Sun, or Magical Starsign being Final Fantasy games. It really doesn't make any logical sense. LO is just a generic SNES/PS1 RPG made right and super polished for our modern times. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By xyzygy
    @Zenaxzd: Very well said, I guess I can agree with that.
    Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Wow, another thread where people say the game sucks.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Oh look, it's THIS thread again.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#15  Edited By gla55jAw

Party -Chapter 10 
    Exploring - Chapter 11

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.