Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

ZP: Yahtzee reviews Final Fantasy XIII. 5 whole hours of it.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By uniform

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1569-Final-Fantasy-XIII

Not his best work, but it's the first I've watched his review of a game I'm currently playing at the time of the review, so it got a few chuckles out of me.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OmegaPirate

Well thats certainly more than he plays of most games...

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @OmegaPirate said:
    " Well thats certainly more than he plays of most games... "
    Oh snap. 

Anyway, for the first time in I think ever he seemed light on humor and more serious and some of his points (you know, those not flicked away by factual evidence) I actually agree with early on. Though I have numerous questions and complaints I actually liked that episode.
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By FirePrince

Ah yes,Yahtzee never dissapoints.
    Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lawrens

I don't really find the guy funny, but still a good watch nonetheless, and I agree with a lot of his points, except I actually enjoy the tedious parts of the game at the beginning, for the cutscenes at least, and when the combat was still fresh to me while it opens up, even though it opens up very freaking slowly.

Edit: Though I'd love to see him do another review after he play 40 more hours of it and see if it really does get "better" for him =P 

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By thatfrood
    Link

I think it's an interesting one, certainly a different tone from most of his others.
    And please people, don't come in here and throw around the argument "he isn't a real reviewer". It's tired and old.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ThatFrood said:
    " Link  I think it's an interesting one, certainly a different tone from most of his others. And please people, don't come in here and throw around the argument "he isn't a real reviewer". It's tired and old. "
    Hes not...hes a CRITIC! Case closed. Its his job to find the faults in a game...
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

He addresses the whole "but guys it gets great 20 hours in" copout response, before anyone thinks of whipping that out.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel
    @ryanwho said:
    " He addresses the whole "but guys it gets great 20 hours in" copout response, before anyone thinks of whipping that out. "
    Except I found that the game was great much earlier in.

Like, from the start.
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By asurastrike

I'm 8 hours into Final Fantasy XIII and I don't know if I will ever return to it. I don't care if it gets good at 20 hours, that's another half a day wasted playing the boring parts.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ApertureSilence
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @ThatFrood said:
    " Link  I think it's an interesting one, certainly a different tone from most of his others. And please people, don't come in here and throw around the argument "he isn't a real reviewer". It's tired and old. "
    Hes not...hes a CRITIC! Case closed. Its his job to find the faults in a game... "
    That's not what "critic" means, it's not even what being "critical" means. Analyzing something critically is NOT about finding fault, but merely a detailed evaluation - positive or negative.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mcfart
    @ryanwho said:
    " He addresses the whole "but guys it gets great 20 hours in" copout response, before anyone thinks of whipping that out. "
    Yup, his reasoning is that you "adapt" to the awfulness.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

There are games you could be playing where you don't have to make excuses for them every 5 minutes. That's all I'm saying, before people start flipping out over a satirist's experience with the game.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Nictel

His view on the first few hours was pretty accurate. Though he should have obviously played the ps3 version, for the cutscenes that is.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @MurderByDeath said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @ThatFrood said:
    Hes not...hes a CRITIC! Case closed. Its his job to find the faults in a game... "
    That's not what "critic" means, it's not even what being "critical" means. Analyzing something critically is NOT about finding fault, but merely a detailed evaluation - positive or negative. "
    If you watch his videos then you would get the joke.
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ApertureSilence
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @MurderByDeath said:

" @ThatFrood said:
    That's not what "critic" means, it's not even what being "critical" means. Analyzing something critically is NOT about finding fault, but merely a detailed evaluation - positive or negative. "
    If you watch his videos then you would get the joke. "
     Just because Yahtzee said it doesn't make it right (or funny). In fact, all it does is perpetuate a common, and extremely irritating, misapprehension.    
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17  Edited By Symphony
    @ryanwho said:
    " There are games you could be playing where you don't have to make excuses for them every 5 minutes. That's all I'm saying, before people start flipping out over a satirist's experience with the game. "
    This but at the same time there are plenty of people who will enjoy it from the start and don't need to use a copout "it gets good after 20 hours" excuse. I consider myself one of those people. *shrugs* Different strokes for different folks and to those who don't enjoy the pace of the early game I say move on to greener pastures.  

As always I enjoyed Yahtzee's review, he raised lots of valid points... though the footsteps one was odd. o.O
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho
    @Symphony said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " There are games you could be playing where you don't have to make excuses for them every 5 minutes. That's all I'm saying, before people start flipping out over a satirist's experience with the game. "
    This but at the same time there are plenty of people who will enjoy it from the start and don't need to use a copout "it gets good after 20 hours" excuse. I consider myself one of those people. *shrugs* Different strokes for different folks and to those who don't enjoy the pace of the early game I saymove on to greener pastures.   As always I enjoyed Yahtzee's review, he raised lots of valid points... though the footsteps one was odd. o.O "
    I did. Resonance of Fate was a great pallet cleanser. Its still fun to watch people skewer the game, though.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Bones8677

I'm kind of conflicted with this video. I was certain without a doubt that he would not review Final Fantasy 13, because of his strong distaste for JRPGs. I was expecting God of War 3. 

And considering he made no attempt to actually get into the game because he knew he wouldn't be going through it all. It kinda renders the idea of a review pointless. He had valid criticisms, I have no problems with the video at all, just wondering why even do one if you weren't going to give the game, the benefit of the doubt from the very beginning. 

"Because the fans wanted it." Has to be the only explanation.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Nictel
    @Symphony said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    This but at the same time there are plenty of people who will enjoy it from the start and don't need to use a copout "it gets good after 20 hours" excuse. I consider myself one of those people. *shrugs* Different strokes for different folks and to those who don't enjoy the pace of the early game I say move on to greener pastures.   As always I enjoyed Yahtzee's review, he raised lots of valid points... though the footsteps one was odd. o.O "
     The loud deafening noise of footsteps on metal? Yeah. I was happy when they reached a non-metal surface. I tried not to notice it and blend it out. I can imagine that if you concentrate on it, it would get annoying fast.
    Avatar image for livingitlarge22
    Livingitlarge22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Livingitlarge22

I love Yahtzee's work and watch it every week, but just like any review you have to take it with a grain of salt and let your own experience dictate how you feel about the game. Everyone plays games for different reasons and with a different attitude. Some will love a game that can be compared to an excel spreadsheet (Final Fantasy) while as others may be into a game that is twitchy gunfest (Modern Warfare) or maybe some sort of mixture (Mass Effect/Bioshock)

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By emkeighcameron

The last one I watched was his BC2 review which was pathetic because he didn't talk about the multiplayer at all (ITS A GODDAMN BATTLEFIELD GAME, COME ON).

That being said, I find his reviews funny if I know nothing about the game he's reviewing, like FF 13 here. If I actually know the game, I recognize that he's full of shit and he ceases to be funny.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pwnasaurus

its how i feel about the game and you know what hes right the game is bad its corridors guys that look like girls and its everything i hate about the world yatzee sums it up great.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mcfart
    @MurderByDeath said:
    " @ThatFrood said:
    True. Although I find his FFXIII video funny and accurate, most of the other videos are trying too hard to fault good games (Heavy Rain, MW2, Bad Company 2).
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ApertureSilence
    @Bones8677 said:
    "And considering he made no attempt to actually get into the game because he knew he wouldn't be going through it all. It kinda renders the idea of a review pointless. He had valid criticisms, I have no problems with the video at all, just wondering why even do one if you weren't going to give the game, the benefit of the doubt from the very beginning.
    It sounded to me like he was absolutely trying to approach it with an open mind and give it the benefit of the doubt, but that goodwill was very quickly crushed under a plethora of bad game design choices.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

He seems to have touched the same vein all the other reviewers for the game...*atleast the ones not giving it scores based on name alone* in that it really is the worst Final Fantasy to come in a long time.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

I don't even need to watch that because I'm sure it's just the same complaints that we were talking about before the game even came out.  Looking at this thread, I'm pretty sure I'm right.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bones8677
    @MurderByDeath said:
    " @Bones8677 said:
    "And considering he made no attempt to actually get into the game because he knew he wouldn't be going through it all. It kinda renders the idea of a review pointless. He had valid criticisms, I have no problems with the video at all, just wondering why even do one if you weren't going to give the game, the benefit of the doubt from the very beginning.
    It sounded to me like he was absolutely trying to approach it with an open mind and give it the benefit of the doubt, but that goodwill was very quickly crushed under a plethora of bad game design choices. "
    Coming into a game with an open mind -- that doesn't sound like Yahtzee. Sure he's tried on a couple occasions, but I seriously doubt he did that with this game. Not like it really matters, I don't watch his videos for information, just entertainment.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bones8677
    @WilliamRLBaker: You clearly have not played X-2.
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ApertureSilence
    @Bones8677 said:
    " @MurderByDeath said:
    " @Bones8677 said:
    It sounded to me like he was absolutely trying to approach it with an open mind and give it the benefit of the doubt, but that goodwill was very quickly crushed under a plethora of bad game design choices. "
    Coming into a game with an open mind -- that doesn't sound like Yahtzee. Sure he's tried on a couple occasions, but I seriously doubt he did that with this game. Not like it really matters, I don't watch his videos for information, just entertainment. "
    "I played Final Fantasy XIII because I am an unbiased critic - shut up, I AM - and must give everything a chance to surprise me, and after 5 hours the only thing that surprised me is how I managed that much without chewing off my own face." - Yahtzee.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryanwho
    @Bones8677 said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker: You clearly have not played X-2. "
    Great game. Nonelinear structure, tons of side shit, one of the best battle systems in the series. Do girls make you uncomfortable, guy? Oh guy.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Capum15

"If this was Modern Warfare, I'd of curb-checked every terrorist in the free world by now."

Also, "Shut up I am!"

I lol'd. His videos are always good for a smile, laugh or two. Even games I love that he rags on, it doesn't bother me.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By Addfwyn

Eh, I can pass on yahtzee, he can do his thing and that's fine and all.  There's just so much cynicism in the gaming community as a whole these days that I can pass on a guy who's entire shtick is being cynical.  If he floats your boat, that's fine.  Just not my thing, I prefer being open minded to cynical.  

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By Rhaknar

Gre tired of yathzee a long time ago, it stopped being funny (one could argue it was never funny) and it just sounds mean now. It basically like a professional troll. I know thats his thing, but i hate shit like this on forums, why wouldnt i hate it in video form >_>

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @MurderByDeath said:

" @MurderByDeath said:

" @ThatFrood said:
    If you watch his videos then you would get the joke. "
     Just because Yahtzee said it doesn't make it right (or funny). In fact, all it does is perpetuate a common, and extremely irritating, misapprehension.     "
    It was a joke. And I find it funny. Just because you do not find it funny does not MEAN its not funny. 
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Nictel said:
    " @Symphony said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    This but at the same time there are plenty of people who will enjoy it from the start and don't need to use a copout "it gets good after 20 hours" excuse. I consider myself one of those people. *shrugs* Different strokes for different folks and to those who don't enjoy the pace of the early game I say move on to greener pastures.   As always I enjoyed Yahtzee's review, he raised lots of valid points... though the footsteps one was odd. o.O "
     The loud deafening noise of footsteps on metal? Yeah. I was happy when they reached a non-metal surface. I tried not to notice it and blend it out. I can imagine that if you concentrate on it, it would get annoying fast. "
    And yet the footsteps in this game are no where near as annoying of those in Parasite Eve >_>. After playing PE any footstep sound in any other game just isn't annoying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.