Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 22, 2010

The second MMO in the Final Fantasy series, famous for its tumultuous launch and subsequent rebirth by a new development team.

Has the mighty really fallen?

• 79 results
    Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Nekroskop
    jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jack_daniels
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

It's an MMORPG so I don't trust any review until at least 3 months after the release.

TheRemedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TheRemedy

I'm not gonna argue the score as that's pointless and it's his opinion but I'm having a lot of fun with the game. That said though he's mostly right in his review. 

I do want to argue one point in that it's not really aimless, it just has a different design philosophy. Yes getting quests in WoW or other modern mmos that tell you to kill X amount of rats is nice, but do you really need that motivation to kill those rats? If you get rewarded in experience and items just for killing the rats, is a quest absolutely necessary for you to enjoy killing said rats? The goal of the game is to follow the main story, level up and acquire new gear. It's not really that different from other mmo's in that regard you just aren't completely handheld along the way.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I was just going to post that review.

I was hoping it would be good, because I'd like to try playing an MMORPG on my PS3. But like bartok said, these types of games are never any good the first few days (or months) after release.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus

Chocobo's aren't worth a monthly fee.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By PerryVandell

One review isn't enough to say anything as fallen, much less the Final Fantasy series. Wait until more reviews come out.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hourai

I've heard nothing but bad things about this game, so a 4.0 doesn't come as much of surprise. 

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By FreakAche

It's a multiplayer Final Fantasy. What did you expect?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Milkman

Not surprised. All the news leading up to the release sounded like a total mess. Scrap the MMOs, Square. You're just not very good at it.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Burns098356GX

They've been falling for nearly 10 years. Its just nobody wanted to admit it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Dude I don't blame them, I run almost any game smoothly on my laptop (YES LAPTOP) but FFXIV eats it and shits it out sideways, I really wanted to like it but damn it's hard to when it's taken 5 steps backwards, the game is fucking impossible to play when it doesn't explain anything and how the keyboard and mouse system blows ass, the menus are set up horribly, the questing is set up horribly.

The game is bad, that's all I can say, the only way this will get better is with time but damn does it suck right now.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

They've been fading out of influence for about a decade now. I wouldn't call them "mighty" to begin with.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By ch13696

Eeeehhhhhh everyone reviews MMO's way to soon. Especially since they're only online. There will always be problems. So give it some time to get the kinks out before reviewing people.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Toxin066
    @ch13696:   In this week's episode of the Hotspot, I think it was Kevin VanOrd who was saying that it wasn't just a buggy thing, but that there were certain elements that were fundamentally unfun.  
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By vaiz

A different design philosophy does not mean a good design philosophy. Let's look at quests like hallways and goals like rooms. Traditionally, in a house, a hallway is used to get to a room which has a purpose. To sleep, eat, shit, etc. I could decide to build a house with nothing but doors and hallways. Would it be unique? Sure. Would it be liveable or at all useful? Fuck no.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy

I'm definitely not surprised. 

Also, in terms of calling the Final Fantasy series mighty and using this as an example of how it's fallen is a bit wrong. FFXI and XIV are MMOs and are not standard for FInal Fantasy games. They're usually single player roleplaying games and personally, when someone asks me how many Final Fantasies I've played, I don't even count XI (and now XIV) as an option.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rjaylee
    @Burns098356GX said:
    " They've been falling for nearly 10 years. Its just nobody wanted to admit it. "
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By vidiot

Not surprised, just about everyone I've talked to hated it. 

It seems the laundry list of failures, once again, stem from an issue of poor design. Specifically the huge cornucopia of games that not just provide better design, but at this point have perfected whatever they were trying to do. It's "towns are too hard to do in HD" all over again, this mentality of not even bothering to recognize what other people are doing. It's like the devs at Square are stuck in this shielded bubble. 

It's frustrating.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Goly
    @bartok said:
    " It's an MMORPG so I don't trust any review until at least 3 months after the release. "
    this, this, THIS
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By schizogony

Seeing how Final Fantasy XIV isn't (yet) the revolution it was supposed to be, I'm kind of interested in returning to FFXI (for the 9th time in five years).  FFXI is truly epic.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Goly
    @ahaisthisourchance said:
    " http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/finalfantasy14/review.html   A 4.0 out of 10..  I've never seen a Square Enix game, let alone a Final Fantasy game,  rated that low. Is it really that monotonous and uneventful like the review says, or is the reviewer missing something?  "
    KVE-LER-TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK! ---> DRUM DRUM DRUM DRUM TUPUTUTUPUTUPUTRA
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Maybe travelling to the future with my time machine so often has gotten me mixed up, but hasn't Final Fantasy been going steadily downhill at least 5 years now? I never thought it was a series worth mentioning to begin with...

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Diamond

It'd be foolish to try to relate the failure of a MMO to any other products a company makes.  MMOs are a whole other beast and are known to crush great developers whenever said developer is stupid enough to take on the Beast genre.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By scarace360

Was it ever mighty?

TheRemedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheRemedy
    @gakon5 said:

In games like WoW, quest XP makes up the majority of your experience gain and quest rewards get you most of your good items and gear (outside of dungeons and raids).  Killing rats isn't on its own a ton of fun, which is why having quests behind the killing/collecting of items lessens the grinding aspect of the game.  A structured quest system allows you to have a story; otherwise you're just killing rats with no motivation. Also, I feel like for MMOs to evolve they need a heavier emphasis on story, and that means perhaps more guided experiences and more story that isn't reading text in a window. "

Again it's really a east versus west type of thing. Most Asian mmos you get the majority of your xp from doing things instead of from quests and this game isn't any different. I don't necessarily see that as one of the games flaws. I personally hate questing, probably for the exact reason you seem to dislike grinding in that I think it adds unnecessary tedium.  I'd rather just kill stuff all day instead of running around doing fed-ex quests. So this game feels more right for me than any of the WoW clones. 

I do completely agree with your second statement. While I'm really engaged with the story in XIV their is no excuse for it to not at least be fully voice-acted in the year 2010. 
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JJOR64

Even the Japanese players are hating the game.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lemoncookie01

FFXIII was a warning.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By niamahai

i am waiting for the Japan gaming crowd to DEFEND THY PRODUCT.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By chrissedoff
    @Jack_Daniels said:

" Ewwww... gamespot link.  Here is metacritic... 2 critic review so far... dont look that bad
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/final-fantasy-xiv-online "

i never buy a game until i've heard from gamingxp.com, your go-to site for trustworthy video game opinion writing. as long as you speak german, that is.
    seriously though, if you couldn't smell this game's stench when it was demoed at pax, you were probably too busy still playing final fantasy xi to notice.
    Sykosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sykosis

well it's very simple really, Square released this too early. It ain't like this is gonna finish them, they just made a bad decision. The thing about MMO's is that they can take some time to get OKAY to play. It sucks because WoW is such a tough act to follow, if you read a lot of the early reviews on WoW you'll find that it launched very playable. That doesn't mean it didn't have problems but above all else it was a fun game to play even in the beginning. I imagine that Square would take it's time to complete this game an optimize it for the PS3. At least that's what I would hope. 

Even then from what I've played already unless they over hall the level and quest system this game won't be able to live up to it's own set of expectations.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ryanwho

Anyway, now we get to wait for some gaudy FF15 trailer and the cycle begins again. 

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FCKSNAP

I wonder what would have happened if Sony never sold their shares in Square to Enix the second they bought them. Right after that Spirits Within fiasco, SE seems to have been grindin out the spinoffs. 

I really liked Square's non-FF games from the SNES to the PS1 era.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mcfart

lol, anyone that defends this game is simply deluded. If Square wasn't the developer then FFXIV would follow the footsteps of APB - right back into the garbage where it belongs.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lucas_kelly

After the stupid decisions they made with Final Fantasy XIII, I'm not surprised this is so bad.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By MildMolasses
    @gakon5 said:
    " @TheRemedy said:
    " y. Yes getting quests in WoW or other modern mmos that tell you to kill X amount of rats is nice, but do you really need that motivation to kill those rats? If you get rewarded in experience and items just for killing the rats, is a quest absolutely necessary for you to enjoy killing said rats? The goal of the game is to follow the main story, level up and acquire new gear. It's not really that different from other mmo's in that regard you just aren't completely handheld along the way. "
    In games like WoW, quest XP makes up the majority of your experience gain and quest rewards get you most of your good items and gear (outside of dungeons and raids).  Killing rats isn't on its own a ton of fun, which is why having quests behind the killing/collecting of items lessens the grinding aspect of the game.  A structured quest system allows you to have a story; otherwise you're just killing rats with no motivation. Also, I feel like for MMOs to evolve they need a heavier emphasis on story, and that means perhaps more guided experiences and more story that isn't reading text in a window. "

Having never played an MMO, my opinion should come with a few hundred grains of salt, but what you describe is what would make these games appeal to me more. What they did with the Conan game (the first 10-20 levels were all single player) is something that I think a lot of these games could benefit from. Then it could allow thses types of games to get their hooks into people like me and get them to continue on. I don't want to be dropped into a world without little clue of what I should be doing, and without a good story to keep me moving forward
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Ok, since when has this series been mighty? FF13 was fun and all, but it's not really a big name. It has not been a big name since FF7.

Lev_Arris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lev_Arris

Remember when WoW was first release?  It wasn't perfect.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By fjordson

While I haven't enjoyed an FF in quite some time, I've always considered the MMO titles separate from the single-player ones. Besides, I don't think anyone will remember FF XIV once Cataclysm hits in December.

Also, I just read Blizzard's announcement about WoW reaching 12 million subscribers. How comically ironic.

Lev_Arris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lev_Arris

Plus I will add I don't trust anything gamespot says.   

FF14 is a MMO and no MMO is perfect when it's first release.  It's all base around the community, the community is was builds around the game to make it better for the player to play in later patches, (We the people are the leaders).   Give the game some time I'm sure by December after a few patches the game will do just fine.  I really don't understand also why any review site would rush a review of this game.  I mean for one the next patch will help players buy gear in towns instead of searching each player in the game, ect.  Why give the game all that bad hate when there still working on the a few tweaks?

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By ToxicFruit

I do not trust a gamespot mmo review after the original Global agenda review

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#43  Edited By Yummylee

The series has been a slow slope downhill for a while now, I've noticed. Though I am unexplainably excited for FFXIII Versus.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
    @bartok said:
    " It's an MMORPG so I don't trust any review until at least 3 months after the release. "
    I agree. Theres no way anybody can give a proper review of an MMO without having played it for several months. What people should do instead is have an on going feature where they talk about their game experience every few weeks.
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By raviolisumo

I haven't heard a single good thing about this game.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mazik765
    @ch13696 said:
    " Eeeehhhhhh everyone reviews MMO's way to soon. Especially since they're only online. There will always be problems. So give it some time to get the kinks out before reviewing people. "
    If the problems were glitches with the network or something like that, I doubt they would have marked it harshly since that kind of stuff is to be expected in an MMO launch. This sounds like the core mechanics that make the game a game are so flawed and poorly thought-out that he didn't feel they were going to be fixed anytime soon.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ryanwho

They had the fucking beta to "work the kinks out people". If its good enough for them to ship, its good enough to review. WoW was reviewed, positively, based on what it shipped as. Not what the dev notes promise, not ignoring glaring flaws assuming they'd be fixed later.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Raymayne

Well no because the online FF games are nothing to do with normal FF games. I don't even know why they insist on putting the damn numbers in them. Still...14 looks and sounds shitty from what I've seen and heard, I guess it can only get better, like pretty much any MMO, but it's a disappointing start.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#49  Edited By Legend

From what I played in the beta I'd say 4/10 is just about right..

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#50  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Toxic said:
    " I do not trust a gamespot mmo review after the original Global agenda review "
    That Global Agenda review was written by someone whose name I had never seen before and no longer remember. The FFXIV review is written by Kevin VanOrd, so I give it a lot more weight than I would give to some freelancer I've never heard of before.

Square Enix should just stop making MMOs. They clearly have no idea what they're doing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.