Can we talk about how good this show is?

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Death_Unicorn

This show is amazing. I'm rewatching it piece by piece as I come home from work, and man, it is just beautifully put together. I'm sitting here listening to the song letting the feels hit me wave by wave drinking a corona with lime in it.

I can put up a case that Iroh may be one of the greatest characters in a television show. I'm a bit biased -- he is my favorite.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Love this show! It has a great mixture of comedy, seriousness, and action.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen too much of Korra.

Other Western cartoons of note though:
- Samurai Jack
- Adventure Time

Maybe Adventure time is cliche, but it is a perfect balance of charm and seriousness.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Best series finale ever. Azula/Zuko fight was amazing.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Honestly Zuko and Katara should've gotten together.

Aang and Katara was just built so much around more of a mother/son relationship I just feel weird at the thought of them getting together at the end.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Easily among my top 10 favourite shows.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By TruthTellah

Yeah, The Last Airbender is quite good. I wish they would make a good game based on it. It has all the pieces. Fun characters, cool powers, interesting locations. And learning new techniques actually makes sense with the story.

One of my favorites.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I haven't seen too much of Korra.

Other Western cartoons of note though:

- Samurai Jack

- Adventure Time

Maybe Adventure time is cliche, but it is a perfect balance of charm and seriousness.

Hunh. I didn't know Adventure Time had any seriousness to it.

Love Samurai Jack too. The Clone Wars cartoons Tartakovsky did were also great.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Death_Unicorn

@theht: Yeah, the recent episodes were pretty heavy. There's also some interesting back stories of the characters that are really fleshed out as well.

Adventure Time spoilers ahead:

Spoilers: Finn lost his arm recently.

@truthtellah: The question is how do you translate all the various bending techniques to a controller/keyboard. Tedious button combos?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@death_unicorn: I think a Xenogears-like system could perhaps work. You could select the style and then use combos for different attacks.

They could go the beat-em-up route, but a RPG seems more appropriate to me.

Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yes, we can.

It is great.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: It would also be cool if it were like a Skyrim open world, and your class determines the bending you will be limited to.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leaves from a vine, falling so slow.
Like fragile, tiny shells; drifting in the foam.
Little soldier boy, come marching home.
Brave soldier boy, come marching home.

</3

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@death_unicorn: I could dig that.

If only the movie hadn't been terrible, perhaps big companies might have invested in more Avatar games... :\

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Curse you M. Shylamamamananan

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 splodge  Online

It is fantastic. I had the pleasure of being able to watch teh entire run from beginning to end. SO GOD DAMN GOOD.

If anyone has not seen it, you have to watch it. The first season is pretty good, but it goes up about 50 notches when it really gets rolling.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

I'm a Kairoh shipper.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King

Curse you M. Shylamamamananan

I love that your post reminded me of this:

They weren't far off, you know.
They weren't far off, you know.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: I feel like the past few years, Penny Arcade is even deeper into a bunch of non-game stuff that I don't connect with (miniatures, Twitter, being dads, etc.), but their stuff in the 2000s was some of the best, and that comic you linked is a great example. Just nailed the whole issue. Too many liberties taken.

On the other hand, any book/TV show about a long journey full of gradual personal growth tends to suck when it is condensed down into a 2-hour film (Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Golden Compass, other examples I'm too lazy to think of).

Party

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Party

Agreed that it's pretty much the best western cartoon out there. And I think Korra is pretty great too.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

that comic you linked is a great example. Just nailed the whole issue. Too many liberties taken.

The best part is that it was made before the movie was released.

That excuse holds a little less water when you remember that the movie was only covering one part of that journey. It was still a huge part, but still not the whole journey.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's one of my favorite cartoons of all time. I love how it portrays Prince Zuko's story of personal growth and his uncle trying his best to guide him. When the villains are just as well developed as the good guys, you know you've found something special.

I really like Korra too but I can understand that it's not as good as the original.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

@death_unicorn: Maybe something like how Styles were handled with Dante in Devil May Cry 4, which was one of the few things I really liked about that game. Four cardinal elements, four D-Pad directions, each element has its own combos 'n shit. It wouldn't be that hard to pull off, conceptually, but it could be screwed up pretty easily in execution, I guess. Especially since licensed stuff tends to get the shovelware treatment.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

It's the best western cartoon I've seen. Sad that Korra is such a disappointment.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was disappointed in The Legend of Korra.

But yeah, Avatar: The Last Airbender was a fantastic show.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

It is the best. Korra is pretty good too and I cant wait for more.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Loading Video...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

It's the best western cartoon I've seen. Sad that Korra is such a disappointment.

You're crazy. Absolutely certified. Korra is fucking amazing and pretty much on par with TLAB. This is coming from the perspective of someone who thinks that those two shows slot in as my second favorite shows of all time.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king said:

@bisonhero said:

that comic you linked is a great example. Just nailed the whole issue. Too many liberties taken.

The best part is that it was made before the movie was released.

Yeah, it was one of those times where from the instant the casting was announced, you could tell the whole thing was going to be a train wreck. If you can't get a multicultural, predominantly Asian cast for a movie rooted in a pastiche of Asian culture and mythology, clearly many things are going wrong.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Yeah, it's pretty good. I binge watched it a few years ago and couldn't believe how well done the whole show was. The characters were funny and endearing, the lore was well thought out and the story was incredibly satisfying to see through to the end. I remember thinking throughout the show that the final encounter between Aang and the Fire lord could never be as great as I had worked up in my mind, but oh boy did it.

I've not watched Korra yet, as I'm waiting for the show to finish, so I can binge watch it as well. It's been sad to hear it's not as great as the original, but then again that's a pretty high bar to surpass. I'd still like to watch it for myself.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@aegon said:

Amen to both of those statements. I haven't seen Korra season 2, but season 1 was complete ass in just about every way outside of the action. Korra was a complete asshole the entire time, but then she cries and, boom, she wins. They set up Amon damn near perfectly to be a really interesting antagonist, but noooooooope, he turned into to cookie-cutter badguy #587923689193 by the end of the series. Also, that fucking love triangle. I don't even...

Goddammit, that show makes me so angry ahaha

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Airbender is awesome and Korra is pretty great. That's my two cents on the subject.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

Amen to both of those statements. I haven't seen Korra season 2, but season 1 was complete ass in just about every way outside of the action. Korra was a complete asshole the entire time, but then she cries and, boom, she wins. They set up Amon damn near perfectly to be a really interesting antagonist, but noooooooope, he turned into to cookie-cutter badguy #587923689193 by the end of the series. Also, that fucking love triangle. I don't even...

I like season 1, not nearly as much as the original series, but well enough. That said, season 2 is much better. The relationship stuff was handled much better, Korra's character matures a lot, and it has what I consider one of the top 3 episodes in the entire franchise.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo said:
@aegon said:

I like season 1, not nearly as much as the original series, but well enough. That said, season 2 is much better. The relationship stuff was handled much better, Korra's character matures a lot, and it has what I consider one of the top 3 episodes in the entire franchise.

I actually quit watching season 2 because Korra was siding with the so-obvious-it's-painful bad guy of the season. I know Avatar has never really been subtle when it came to who the villains were, but that just annoyed me to no end. I think I stopped around episode 4 or something, when Korra was claiming that the Northern Water Tribe invading the Southern Tribe was a GOOD thing... Ugh... I know she'll eventually realize that she is in the wrong, but god damn it's painful to watch her being such a naive child.

Dragon_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By Dragon_Fire

Yes that show was Fucking Amazing, Really like the characters and World. Hell it was good enough that both my parents watched it.

I was just kinda sad when it ended. I wanted more!

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@babychoochoo said:
@aegon said:

I actually quit watching season 2 because Korra was siding with the so-obvious-it's-painful bad guy of the season. I know Avatar has never really been subtle when it came to who the villains were, but that just annoyed me to no end. I think I stopped around episode 4 or something, when Korra was claiming that the Northern Water Tribe invading the Southern Tribe was a GOOD thing... Ugh... I know she'll eventually realize that she is in the wrong, but god damn it's painful to watch her being such a naive child.

Whether or not you like Korra as a character or The Legend of Korra in general, every fan of the Avatar universe owes it to themselves to watch the episode "Beginnings: Part 1 and 2", which is in the middle of season 2.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@babychoochoo said:
@aegon said:

Whether or not you like Korra as a character or The Legend of Korra in general, every fan of the Avatar universe owes it to themselves to watch the episode "Beginnings: Part 1 and 2", which is in the middle of season 2.

"Beginnings: Part 1 and 2" was incredible!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

@aegon said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was disappointed in The Legend of Korra.

But yeah, Avatar: The Last Airbender was a fantastic show.

it's a pretty common opinion. frankly myself i quite dig Korra as well, mostly book 1 though (told a tight, more adult story that didn't have to involve saving the world). 2nd book is worth it alone though for the story of the first avatar. Man I could have used a whole season just based on that.

i do agree that A:TLA is the better show, but the dogpile of hate that Korra gets is pretty damn unfair.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ripelivejam

Yes that show was Fucking Amazing, Really like the characters and World. Hell it was good enough that both my parents watched it.

I was just kinda sad when it ended. I wanted more!

it doesn't have toend you know

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love a prequel to the series revolving around the Fire Nation and their conquests. Probably too dark for a kid's show but seeing Iroh at the walls of Ba Sing Se and having him lose his son would have awesome potential for storytelling.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really is fantastic. All the characters are so well created and the animation really brings them to life.

I've actually started watching the whole series properly recently. Previously I had just randomly caught episodes when they were airing on TV.

I haven't seen any of Korra but I'm glad they are continuing with the series.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th: Same, summer truly is the season to binge-watch things.

It doesn't help that I live in a humid state, and me and humidity don't get along too well.