Avatar image for brewmaster_andy
Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

As some of you know, I have been making beer for the Giant Bomb guys and other Whiskey Media friends (most recently, I made a Screened beer for Alex) for a little bit now. It started back when I decided to brew some up for PAX East, and I was happy to share those beers with the guys. I had wanted to do another Bombcast inspired beer, and after Brad's on-air suggestion of "Casually Racist Pale Ale," I decided to take it a step further and up the racism by brewing up "Vinny Caravella's Casually Racist Black IPA." For those of you that don't know, a black IPA is a newer style. Technically it's called a Cascadian Dark Ale, and it looks like a really dark brown ale - not quite the color of a stout, but damned close - but it's hopped up like an IPA. For this brew, I used all American hops, some German malts, and I added some vanilla from Mexico and some cinnamon from China, just to cover my bases. The hops I chose are spicy, so they won't overwhelm the other flavors with fruitiness like you get in a lot of IPAs. I put together some photos of the brew process so you guys can see what I do. When the brew is done fermenting I will have further pics to add to this thread, but let's get started.

I start by heating up the water for the brew, and the grain is milled then hangs out in my grain bucket. This is the other batch I brewed that day waiting in the wings.

This beer used around 8.5 lbs. of grain. Vinny's used 11.5 lbs. instead, which will produce a beer of around 7% ABV.
This beer used around 8.5 lbs. of grain. Vinny's used 11.5 lbs. instead, which will produce a beer of around 7% ABV.
  Once this water is heated, I add all of the grain to my mash tun. A mash tun is basically a holding tank with a built in filter. I made mine out of a converted Rubbermaid cooler and some stainless steel supply hose. When grain is milled, it exposes the starch inside. When that starch sits in the heated water for long enough, the starch converts to sugar and this forms the basis for beer.
Basically, it's like oatmeal.
Basically, it's like oatmeal.
    Obviously, you can't leave all this grain just sitting around until kingdom come. In fact, this barely scratches the surface of the process. After an hour, I drain all of this sugary water into my boil kettle. 
 The first thing to ask yourself when brewing a black IPA is whether it looks like motor oil or not.
 The first thing to ask yourself when brewing a black IPA is whether it looks like motor oil or not.

Yup. It does.
 Yup. It does.
Generally, the first pass takes around 15 minutes to fully drain out. While this is going on, I heat more water. This second (and third) volume of water is for a process called "sparging." It's basically a process by which you pour fresh water into the mash tun, and drain a second (and third) time - this rinses any residual sugar from the grain so that you get the most out of your beer. Eventually, you end up with 6.5 gallons of unfermented beer, or "wort." This will make around 5 gallons of finished beer, or the equivalent of two cases plus a six pack. The cost? About 30 bucks. Try getting a case of good beer for less than that - it's really hard. 

Once drained, I start to bring the beer to a boil and I put my hop strainer into the kettle. 

I love boiling motor oil.
 I love boiling motor oil.
While this is en route to boiling, I usually check my recipe and go over my hops additions. Hops are what make beer beer - without them, you just have malt liquor. Hops also perform differently depending on how long they sit in the brew. The actual boil takes anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes, with most beers boiling for 60. Hops added at 60 minutes are called "bittering hops." They give the beer its bite. Any hops added from 60 to 15 minutes add bitterness. Hops added at 15 minutes contribute flavor only, not bitterness. Hops added at 5 minutes and afterward (including "dry hopping," which are hops added after the beer ferments) contribute aroma only. These are my bittering hops, 1 oz. of Chinook (an American varietal.) 

These are pellet hops, hop flowers that have been ground and processed to be more potent.
These are pellet hops, hop flowers that have been ground and processed to be more potent.
I add the hops into the center of my hop filter. This keeps things simple to clean for later. From here, it's just a matter of time. 

And this is how I occupy that time.
 And this is how I occupy that time.
When the beer is done boiling, it has to cool. The quicker you cool it down to a temperature that yeast can survive at, the better. I use a copper immersion chiller, which hooks up to my garden hose. I run cold water through it to cool the wort down to yeast temperature (approx. 80 degrees). 
No Caption Provided
Once the beer is cool, in goes the yeast, and the whole shebang gets put into a dark basement for a few weeks. I will update this post when it's time to keg and we'll see the progress we've made! Questions and comments are more than welcome! 

KEGGING PROCESS

So, I kegged the beer today! Some of you may have actually heard me announce that to Patrick over the Big Red Phone, in fact, and it is no less true! Vinny's beer is kegged and in the kegerator carbonating! I took some photos to show the process. It isn't very exciting but I wanted to document as much as I could so people could see. Enjoy! 

First, I fill my kegs with sanitizer. I kegged three different beers today, hence the pile of kegs! 

These are 5 gallon kegs. 
These are 5 gallon kegs. 
Once the kegs are sanitized, I bring them into my shop and use an auto-siphon to transfer the beer from its fermenting bucket to a clean keg. 

The beer starts its journey here... 
The beer starts its journey here... 

... and ends it here! Note the rad green shoes. 
... and ends it here! Note the rad green shoes. 
Once the beer is in the keg, I bring the whole thing into my bar room and hook the keg up to the CO2. The beer goes into the kegerator after the pressure is set.

No Caption Provided
After that, it's basically a waiting game as the beer carbonates. However, a good brewer always samples his brew at every stage in the process. At this point, it's beer. It tastes very close to the final product, only without any carbonation. Here's the first pour through of Vinny's beer! 

Four days from now and the beer will be carbed and ready! 
Four days from now and the beer will be carbed and ready! 
I hope you guys are enjoying these updates! 

CARBONATION UPDATE

Well, the time has come (as the Walrus is often rumored to say) to talk of many things. I started a new thread because the original was getting quite crowded and I wanted to make sure people were able to see updates as I posted them. As of this writing, Vinny Caravella's Casually Racist Black IPA is carbonated and drinkable. I had a pint with dinner and it was delicious - a nice, roast flavor with some clean hoppy bitterness. The last time I brewed a black IPA, it clocked in at 106 IBU (international bitterness units, a general measurement of how "hoppy" a beer tastes. The human tongue can't discern over 100 IBU) and was a hop bomb. This brew is much subtler, with somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 IBU and a solid malt background. It drinks like a porter or stout, but has a slight afterburn of hop flavor.

It was painful having to take this picture and not just immediately drinking it down.
It was painful having to take this picture and not just immediately drinking it down.

This thread is a separate thread because it is going to document some very different aspects of my process, namely the labeling and bottling/shipping of the beer. Enjoy the updates as they come! I will have a post this weekend when I bottle and ship this brew out to Vinny!

SHIPPING PROCESS

This evening I bottled a six pack of beer for shipment to Vinny and the guys. This is (most of) the process.

First, as with all important brewing steps, comes sanitizing everything that will come in contact with your beer. I use this stuff to sanitize:

Star San, a brewer's best friend!
Star San, a brewer's best friend!

I sanitize the bottles after they are clean, as well as the bottling wand that I use to bottle from the keg. I don't need to sanitize my beer lines separately because they are sanitized by way of being full of beer on a regular basis. I clean them between kegs and that prevents any contaminants from getting in the line.

Sanitizing the bottles...
 Sanitizing the bottles...
... and the filler. 
... and the filler. 
I don't have any pictures of the bottling process itself, since it is messy business. Basically, that bottling want goes into the mouth of a standard cobra/picnic tap connected to 10 feet of beer line. The keg is gassed up with a CO2 line. The wand goes into each bottle, and the rubber stopper creates a seal so that the bottle fills under pressure. As the pressure builds, the beer stops flowing and I release the stopper a bit to start the flow up again as some CO2 comes out of solution. Once full, I remove the wand, and put a sanitized bottle cap on top. I use a bottle capper to crimp the crown cap down onto the bottle, but before I do so, I tip the bottle and cap upside down. This causes the beer to foam and purge any oxygen from the bottle. I cap on the foam. 

Standard crown bottle capper. 
Standard crown bottle capper. 
After the bottles warm to room temperature and no longer have any condensation on them, I label them! I use Avery removable labels and print from Photoshop. 

My label sheets! Running out of black ink :( How racist of me! 
My label sheets! Running out of black ink :( How racist of me! 
The rest of the pictures are of the labeled beers ready for shipment! Thanks for reading, everyone! 

First bottle, done! 
First bottle, done! 
Finished product! Six bottles of the delicious stuff on the left! 
Finished product! Six bottles of the delicious stuff on the left! 
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ArchScabby

I've had beer before.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By adoggz
@ArchScabby said:

I've had beer before.

shit man really? what was it like?

but seriously i'm jealous. i want people to make free beer for me
Wonloong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Wonloong

@adoggz said:

@ArchScabby said:
I've had beer before.

I heard it tastes like cat piss.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Brendan

Woah.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ragdrazi

Wow. Cool chiller! My friends and I have have never seen the point of one of those though. What's the difference you're getting out of it?

What you've described sounds like yum. I want to be Casually Racist too.

desolation15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By desolation15

Makes me want to brew beer again. But those damn plastic stem air locks keeps breaking on me. That and I don't mind drinking the cheap stuff from my class six.

Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy
@Ragdrazi: You get a better and stronger fermentation (as well as lower risk of infection) by chilling rapidly. It also helps get rid of a lot of the gunk that usually sits in the bottom of your boil kettle.

@desolation15: Rig up a blow-off tube instead! Just put some plastic tubing in the top and put the other end in sanitizer to close the system, and voila!
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Vinny_Says

I've heard multiple stories and watched multiple TV shows and movies where brewing beer results in bottles exploding and making gunshot noises in the middle of the night. I don't need that...

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By m0rdr3d

Nice!  Thanks for sharing.  This blog really makes me want to give brewin' a go. I'm looking forward to your updates.

Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy
@blacklabeldomm: Yeah, if you carbonate beer naturally in bottles it's totally possible. I keg my beer instead, so it's simply not possible.
strangone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By strangone

The possibilities are endless. Off the top of my head: 

Brad's Banana-mouth Hefeweizen 
Jeff's "You Can't Beat 100 IBUs" Double IPA 

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hatking

I am going to fantasize about being your best friend and us drinking good beer all the time for free.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Toxin066

Dude, that was an awesome blog post.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Nux

Awesome Blog Post. I can't wait to see the rest when its done.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By samfo

i would pay way too much for a screened beer, i dont even know why, i just think it would be amazing.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By SSully

Get this man on the Community Spotlight stat! This blog post is fantastic.

Question, how did you actually get into making your own beer?

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By falling_fast

@Nux said:

Awesome Blog Post. I can't wait to see the rest when its done.

RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By RTSlord

wow, thats really cool man, keep it up!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Claude

Barley Pops are the beast. Hell yeah!

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By unsolvedparadox

That's a pretty involved process, looks like a lot of fun!

Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

@SSully: I was always into beer in general, the more flavorful the better. I just decided one day to give it a whirl, and I got hooked. A lot of people start off using malt extract, which does about half of the process for you, but you don't get the same level of customization with your beers. When you brew using all grain you really control all of the flavors and it helps teach you a lot about beer as well. I started making my own recipes about a year and a half ago and never stopped. So many possibilities! Thanks for the comment!

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I love reading about and watching people make beer and learning about the science of it, but I fucking hate the stuff.  

Whatever, really cool read. 

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By avidwriter

My dad brews his own beer. It takes awhile to finish, so if you wanted to make your own, you'd have to make a lot in intervals to constantly have enough to last.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By louiedog

Looks great. I want to brew but I live in a small apartment and don't really have room to store equipment and beer. I've thought about trying to do a smaller amount, like a gallon at a time, but I don't have any cool areas to store it in. When I'm not home in the summer my apartment is really hot and in the winter I have no control over the heat and it's also pretty toasty. Maybe I could store stuff in the basement by bribing my building manager with some of the finished product.

desolation15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By desolation15
@elsux0r: I googled blow-off tubes. Exactly what I needed. I'm gonna spend this weekend pulling all my brewing stuff out of storage and rigging one of them tubes. Thanks for the advice!
sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sirdesmond

I really need to get off my butt and finally start doing this myself. I am fascinated by the process and all of the individual decisions one can make to change both the recipe and the preparation process that lead ultimately to specific changes to the end flavor.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By coakroach

BEER!

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By coaxmetal

As someone who drinks a lot of (expensive) beer, I have wanted to try brewing myself for a while. I'll have to give it a go.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Maluvin

Brewing is good fun.  My girlfriend's brother and I have done a few batches and they were great. 

If you like decent beer I recommend trying brewing a couple times.  Just be careful how much you initially invest since it's easy to go overboard IMO.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#31  Edited By Little_Socrates

Definitely read this in the Alcohol Trivia voice from Catherine, and all the comments as other assorted voices from the game sharing techniques.

Very cool blog, I have no interest in drinking beer but you made the process seem fascinating. Also, it's extremely well written, which is even better.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By coaxmetal

Black IPA's are pretty good, sippin' one right now. Stone's Sublimely Self RIghteous Ale. Good stuff.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MrKlorox

@Wonloong said:

@adoggz said:

@ArchScabby said:
I've had beer before.

I heard it tastes like cat piss.

People say that, until they try "cheesing." 5-MeO-W is one hell of a chemical.

Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

@Riboflavin: Great beer. Stone's Ruination is my favorite hop monster.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

This is pretty rad. Now I kinda wish I was Vinny.

...ok I always wish I was Vinny...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Looks awesome. Always wanted to start brewing myself so this is interesting stuff. Were you the same guy who made the beer for PAX East?

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Seauton

Awesome post man! I am a huge beer enthusiast and have been debating brewing my own pretty recently. This was a very insightful post and has definitly piqued my interest even more. Gotta ask just for fun, who's your favorite brewer (other than yourself)?
Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

@Seauton: It kinda depends. Vinnie Cilurzo at Russian River is a good dude, but I also dig Sam Calagione from Dogfish Head - his creativity is fantastic. Discovery had a show on once called Brew Masters that followed him around, and it was super fun watching his process.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Seauton

Yeah I agree with said brewers. Speaking of awesome beer shows, have you seen the documentary "Beer Wars"? It should still be on Netflix. I loved it when I first saw it. Sam Calagione seems like an awesome dude through the whole thing and it should convince a lot of beer drinkers who stick with Miller and Coors and what not to jump ship and start ponying up for good beer. You pay for what you get anyway. (There is also a shout out to Stone from Sam in that documentary which makes me happy. Stone might be my favorite brewery but its a pain to get here in Florida.)
Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

Yeah, Stone is one of my top favorite breweries. Current top favorite brews: Green Flash West Coast IPA, Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, and Stone Ruination IPA. I do drink other styles, but IPA has always been my favorite.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By rentfn

I went on vacation in June and we went to the Dogfish Head Brewery and Brewpub. It was a blast. The tour wasn't the best I've been on because there was a lot of people and the guide didn't get very technical (which I like on tours) But being able to try all their beers on tap was amazing. I live in NH and we get a decent amount of their stuff up here but there were some interesting flavors they make.

Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

Hello fellow New Englander! Come to PAX East this year and you can try some of my brew :) I am already planning to have a batch of chocolate mint stout this year!

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I love beer, I wish I knew how to home-brew.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Seauton

Argh, I am jealous. Of both the Dogfish Brewery tour and the PAX East beer party.
rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By rentfn

@elsux0r: I read something about you having beer last year. I was there and I missed it. Very depressing. We might be moving to a new place with a basement and plenty of brewing space, so maybe I can bring some beer too. PAX East Giant Bomb Homebrewing Festival 2012...and I thought PAX couldn't get any better.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By rentfn

@elsux0r: ok here is a question for you. Is there dairy in chocolate mint stout and brews of it's kind. I'm lactose intolerant and it's always worried me so i stayed away.

Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

@rentfn: It depends how it's brewed. I use unsweetened cocoa powder in mine, so no dairy there. Some brewers use actual chocolate, some use cocoa nibs - the other risk is that often a beer like a stout will have actual lactose added after fermentation to sweeten it up just a bit. I give you my guarantee that my mint stout will not have dairy in it - just cocoa powder, peppermint, and some extra goodies!

Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

@Mr_Skeleton: There are tons of great resources out there to learn. In reality it isn't too difficult - check out http://www.howtobrew.com/ for a good resource. If you know how to make tea you can make beer - getting started isn't much different, and you won't need a ton of equipment. It's only when you switch to using all grain like me where all these other steps come into play, but you can brew great beer using malt extract and a 5 gallon pot on your stovetop.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By louiedog

@elsux0r said:

Yeah, Stone is one of my top favorite breweries. Current top favorite brews: Green Flash West Coast IPA, Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, and Stone Ruination IPA. I do drink other styles, but IPA has always been my favorite.

Racer 5 is what turned my girlfriend on to drinking IPAs. We were at Little Star* on Divisadero in San Francisco. I ordered a Racer 5 and she ordered some wheat beer thing. She wasn't super into beer at that point. She tried mine and immediately begged me to trade drinks with her. She's been on a quest to try just about every IPA brewed in the country since then and I've been happy to accompany her. It's a mighty powerful beer.

*side note: It's my favorite deep dish pizza. And yes, I've been to the must try places in Chicago.

Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

Something I forgot to mention is that I have a tumblr site for my "brewery." It was fairly recently created, but I am using it as a place to post my recipes and other beer-related stuff. If anyone is into brewing please check it out! http://columbiabrewing.tumblr.com/

I checked in on Vinny's beer and fermentation is complete. I'm going to let it sit for a week or so while I move into my new house, but once I get my new brew station set up I will do a taste test and a photo update to go with it. After that it's straight to the keg as long as my numbers are correct - generally beer gets really hazy if you keg it too early, but with a dark beer you aren't looking for clarity anyway - my guess is that it will be carbed and drinkable within two weeks.