Gratuitous Klepek strikes again (GOTY, no spoilers)

• 191 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By abendlaender

@Incapability said:

And furthermore, who gives a shit about spoilers.

I do. But not if it is clear from the very beginning that there will be spoilers.

HulkHanson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By HulkHanson

OH IT WAS PATRICK SO I GUESS I BETTER CREATE A THREAD BECAUSE THAT'S A GREAT EXCUSE TO RAG ABOUT PATRICK.

That's all I hear man. You're crazy listening to these podcasts if you don't want something spoiled, Spec-ops has already been spoilt for me but I don't care, it's my own damn fault.

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By KittyVonDoom

@HulkHanson said:

OH IT WAS PATRICK SO I GUESS I BETTER CREATE A THREAD BECAUSE THAT'S A GREAT EXCUSE TO RAG ABOUT PATRICK.

You know it works both ways.

OH SOMEONE HAS A COMPLAINT ABOUT SOMETHING STUPID THIS GUY DID BETTER GO IN THERE AND DEFEND HIM LIKE ALWAYS

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By J12088

You guys are so stupid. You can't even tell a troll post from a serious complaint. Thanks for the giggles planetarys. Keep fighting the patrick fight brother.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

Ryan also got a lot of flak for spoiling AC3, so why shouldn't Patrick be criticized. You can spoil stories and then there is spoiling every little detail of a game to the point of being obnoxious...like Patrick did. Maybe at most 20% of the GB-community cares about his opinion on games. I respect Patrick for what he does but I really don't find his opinions interesting.

They're asking Patrick to shy away from podcasts, not uit his job. It's simple, if you think someone in any medium is boring and has roguelike opinions...they get boo'd out.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By superfriend

He kinda spoiled (well, "spoiled") the end of Dragons Dogma in the last one.

Now I want to play Dragons Dogma.

In short: Don´t be so up in arms about spoilers. Videogames are about so much more than just stories and story twists. Oh, and if you don´t want to be spoiled: You play the goddamn game DAY ONE.

Edit: They even said they would spoil stuff up front. No excuse.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#107  Edited By kagato

@TrafalgarLaw said:

Ryan also got a lot of flak for spoiling AC3, so why shouldn't Patrick be criticized. You can spoil stories and then there is spoiling every little detail of a game to the point of being obnoxious...like Patrick did. Maybe at most 20% of the GB-community cares about his opinion on games. I respect Patrick for what he does but I really don't find his opinions interesting.

They're asking Patrick to shy away from podcasts, not uit his job. It's simple, if you think someone in any medium is boring and has roguelike opinions...they get boo'd out.

Agreed, i think some of the posters are getting confused with spoilercasts and podcasts containing spoilers, with Game of the Year casts being the latter they should have spoilers when needed, but not just filled with them because Patrick feels the need to run his mouth. I generally like the dude but sometimes he just opens his mouth and lets out unfiltered rubbish pour out, hes the kind of guy who sees the word "free refills" at a restaurant and walks into the kitchen and takes the keg home. Then again, i know this going in so im not shocked or upset when he inevitably starts spoiling every major plot point in every game discussed lol.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

GOTY podcasts are spoiler territory, those who have survived the GOTY podcast's of the years past know this. Be prepared.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#109  Edited By LackingSaint

I do not in the slightest feel this ill will so many people seem to feel for Patrick. I guess the internet loves its inane hatred of anything that vaguely resembles a "hipster". Also yeah, Patrick spoiled a game in a spoilercast which said it was going to have spoilers and has had spoilers every year it has been a thing. Woop.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetary said:

Listening to GOTY day 1 podcast, best moment section. Ryan and Jeff made it clear - spoilers are fair game, when called for. But Patrick -- ONCE AGAIN, JUST LIKE LAST YEAR -- seems to think that this means that dropping and spewing them just for the sake of it is ok. God damn, man. Stop being a damn show-off!

Brad was 100% right. If a spoiler is necessary for the deliberations, fine. If not, just keep your mouth shut. Damn!

Go back to IGN, nobody wants you here.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

@planetary said:

Listening to GOTY day 1 podcast, best moment section. Ryan and Jeff made it clear - spoilers are fair game, when called for. But Patrick -- ONCE AGAIN, JUST LIKE LAST YEAR -- seems to think that this means that dropping and spewing them just for the sake of it is ok. God damn, man. Stop being a damn show-off!

Brad was 100% right. If a spoiler is necessary for the deliberations, fine. If not, just keep your mouth shut. Damn!

IF U DONT LIEK PATRICK GO TO IGN!

Maybe for the best, Greg Miller > Patrick Klepek.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TrafalgarLaw said:

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

@planetary said:

IF U DONT LIEK PATRICK GO TO IGN!

Maybe for the best, Greg Miller > Patrick Klepek.

Who was talking to you?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Lets add to the list of phrases and words Patrick uses incorrectly.

Ostensibly
Zero sum game
Asynchronous

He referred to Spaceteam and Nintendoland as 'asynchronous' when they're 'asymmetrical'. I don't expect full mastery of Greek roots but I think the 'chrono' part should hint that it relates to time.

I can't imagine what asynchronous Spaceteam would be, would you send an email that said "Flex gravlocks!" and check your phone throughout the day?

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By kinapuff

I can't wait till bitching about Patrick goes out of style.

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Rasmoss

I think everyone should learn to be accepting of someone they find a little annoying. They'll all be better persons for it.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By JZ

Your complaining that someone spoiled something after they told you they were going to spoil something. You are the worst person ever.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#118  Edited By isomeri

@Mister_V said:

It's because Patrick is young and doing a job that most of us would kill for, Jelousy is a cruel thing. I used to be like them once. Then I grew up.

I've never understood the hate for Patrick, but this makes total sense. Shit's sad.

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By KittyVonDoom

@Kinapuff said:

I can't wait till bitching about Patrick goes out of style.

How long have loud, obnoxious traits in a personality been unpleasant for? It's a thing that exists in human nature to not like it I'm afraid.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By napalm

@dennisthemennis said:

They said right off the top they would be spoiling stuff from this year.

What part of this do you people not understand?

"They said spoilers would be involved, but not SPOILERS! Gosh!"

Like, what the fuck? Seriously, people?

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Rafaelfc

If Jeff had dropped the spoilers people would be praising him. The prejudice against Klepek is the most petty, childish, stupid thing i've seen on these boards (and i've seen a lot of crap here)

Also, FUCK YOU if you are whining about spoilers. I wish they'd spoil every game in every podcast. I am here for the REAL game talk, not people shying away from discussion cause some annoying asshole has to cry out for spoilers.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#122  Edited By toowalrus

Not only did they say there were going to be spoilers, but they said that if there's any game in existence that you don't want spoiled, don't listen to the podcast. This is stupid.

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By kinapuff

@KittyVonDoom: I honestly don't see it, and Patrick has never struck me as that type of person. This is coming from someone who finds most people in general somewhat annoying/bothersome or obnoxious in some way or form.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#124  Edited By s10129107

I am so tired of these threads. Sooooo so tired.

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Patrick has quickly become my favorite member on the site. I would listen to a Giant Patrickcast every day forwards and backwards

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By AngelN7

I hope this isn't about Tokyo Jungle becuase now that I heard how it ends I want to play it more.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By MariachiMacabre

How the hell is this thread not locked yet?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Ravenlight

"There will be spoilers in the GOTY casts."

Gets pissed off at spoilers in GOTY casts.

Someone's dunked on the hunk.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By mercutio123
@MariachiMacabre said:
How the hell is this thread not locked yet?
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#130  Edited By iamjohn

@TrafalgarLaw said:

The entire point of the GotY podcasts is to be a public record of their deliberations in the interest full disclosure and less about something meant to be entertaining for people to enjoy. This is not me reading into it - Ryan and Jeff explicitly state this in the beginning of the first one. The arguments aren't for you and they shouldn't be positioned around pleasing some random jabroni listening in because the entire point is to have an audio record of their deliberation process, and they should be allowed to say whatever the hell they want to each other about any part of the games if it makes their case. If you're bitching about the spoilers and saying they should've spoiled less, guess what? You completely missed the point of these podcasts and just look really, really dumb. It has nothing to do with his opinions in any way whatsoever, and frankly the fact that you and the Patrick haters that always climb out of the woodwork for threads like this when the guy didn't do a damn thing wrong just makes you seem petty and pathetic.

All that said:

@Brodehouse said:

He referred to Spaceteam and Nintendoland as 'asynchronous' when they're 'asymmetrical'. I don't expect full mastery of Greek roots but I think the 'chrono' part should hint that it relates to time.

I'm glad someone else noticed this because that shit was making me furious.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By planetary

Four fucking pages of people who are missing the point. Idiots. I shall spell it out for you:

- GOTY having spoilers is PERFECTLY FINE. I agree with the spirit of this, 100%. Let me say that again: I AGREE.

- Like fucking Brad, I think this should mean, "Sometimes we need to talk openly and spoilerfully to discuss a game's merits."

- Going out of your way to throw plot points around (Patrick being the biggest, but not only, offender) is actually an abuse of the rule.

Jeff and Ryan disagree. Brad is on the side of the angels, and handles the responsibility to not spoil games with thought and care. Vinny probably is too tired changing diapers to care. Patrick loves dropping knowledge with his little ironic hipster t-shirts. Fine. Perhaps I should have made this thread less about my Patrick hate and more about the Davis-Gerstmann GOTY spoiler policy being too fast and loose -- especially when there's creatures like Klepek slithering around ready to take advantage.

Go TeamBread is what I'm saying.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By planetary

Fuck. TeamBrad. Not TeamBread. Dammit.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By iamjohn

@planetary said:

Perhaps I should have made this thread less about my Patrick hate and more about the Davis-Gerstmann GOTY spoiler policy being too fast and loose -- especially when there's creatures like Klepek slithering around ready to take advantage.

Then don't listen to thing whose stated mission goal is talking explicitly and frankly about games. It's for them, not us. That's the entire point.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#134  Edited By AssInAss

@planetary said:

Four fucking pages of people who are missing the point. Idiots. I shall spell it out for you:

- GOTY having spoilers is PERFECTLY FINE. I agree with the spirit of this, 100%. Let me say that again: I AGREE.

- Like fucking Brad, I think this should mean, "Sometimes we need to talk openly and spoilerfully to discuss a game's merits."

- Going out of your way to throw plot points around (Patrick being the biggest, but not only, offender) is actually an abuse of the rule.

Jeff and Ryan disagree. Brad is on the side of the angels, and handles the responsibility to not spoil games with thought and care. Vinny probably is too tired changing diapers to care. Patrick loves dropping knowledge with his little ironic hipster t-shirts. Fine. Perhaps I should have made this thread less about my Patrick hate and more about the Davis-Gerstmann GOTY spoiler policy being too fast and loose -- especially when there's creatures like Klepek slithering around ready to take advantage.

Thanks for throwing personal insults at us.

I don't really get your point. You want them to dole out spoilers in your specific way when they said the whole podcast will be full of spoilers with no rules? Imagine an actual conversation with friends and you're gonna mention spoilers about some movie, and then someone says "BUT NOT SPOILERS IN THAT ORDER!". C'mon, you overreacted.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By NegativeCero

Yeah, its your own fault. I has my finger ready to fast forward and turn sown the volume while I listened, knowing that I would likely have things spoiled otherwise.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@planetary

Really? You say you regret making it so much about your irrational hatred of Patrick and then proceed to take two childish swipes at him in the same god damn paragraph...and everyone else is an idiot? God what a pathetic, childish thread.
fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By fRAWRst

This is stupid

you are stupid

stop listening to the bombcast, you idiot

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

@planetary said:

The spoiler policy is what it is, if that's a concern to you then don't listen to the podcasts. If any potential spoiler of a game is going to shatter your world, then avoid the clearly marked spoiler-casts. It's explained upfront that these podcasts are not specifically for the audience's enjoyment, they are all about pulling back the curtain to show the GOTY process. They wouldn't censor themselves with regards to spoilers if the mics were off, so why should they when they're on?

But this has nothing to do with spoilers-- instead sounds like you have an irrational dislike of Patrick based on some vague notion of him being a "hipster". Are you a part of a fighting game community or something? Maybe a proponent of "men's rights"?

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By planetary

More succinctly still: GOTY should not be an "all spoilers allowed" zone, like Jeff wants it to be. It should be a "spoilers ok where they really matter" zone, like Brad wants it to be.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#140  Edited By fox01313

Pretty much said in the first game of the year bombcast that they will just about spoil anything made in the last 2 years to defend whatever game they are talking about. You should have just shut it off after hearing that to protect yourself from spoilers which may or may not really affect you enjoying playing a video game.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By mercutio123
@fRAWRst said:

This is stupid

you are stupid

stop listening to the bombcast, you idiot

Spaceyoghurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Spaceyoghurt

Ah, another one of those childish threads of "Let's get upset about something that Klepek said/thought/did/dit not do". This has nothing to do with spoilers, the topic tells the whole story.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

@planetary said:

More succinctly still: GOTY should not be an "all spoilers allowed" zone, like Jeff wants it to be. It should be a "spoilers ok where they really matter" zone, like Brad wants it to be.

There, was that so hard?

See it's actually pretty easy to not be some childish asshole who throws meaningless insults around about people they don't know.

But still, no it shouldn't be, it should be a totally unfiltered podcast that shows us what the process is like. KEEP IT PURE GODDAMN IT

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Legion_

@rjayb89 said:

Yeah, let's beat him up.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@planetary said:

Well, it isn't that. It doesn't matter what it "should be" as these are just recordings of discussions they would have had anyway, and we have the benefit of hearing them go apeshit. You restricting them like that would also, in turn, restrict their ability to talk about these games openly or they would just make shitty 20 minute podcasts going down the list of their awards. They already have those with the videos (which are not shitty, let me be clear), so wait and watch those instead.

I just don't think you know exactly what the guys are doing here: this is editor talk that we get to hear, not a podcast designed for the listener.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Legion_

@planetary said:

Ah, of course. We must protect Patrick and his feelings. I forgot... The Patrick Police Squad around here is making me sick.

Note: I'm actually fairly conflicted about this, because Patrick has it within him to make cogent arguments. But why must he be such a loose cannon and a douche the other 50% of the time? Arrgh. Patrick, I *want* to like you, but when you're playing hipster or self-involved man-child, I simply cannot.

Best that he leave the staff -- or at least the editorial staff. Put him on news, and keep him there.

I sure do miss when the Bombcast was a four man show.

Edit:

And it's a shame that Vinny has less of a presence on Quick Looks and stuff like that. Everybody loves Vinny.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By planetary

@RockyRaccoon37 said:

But still, no it shouldn't be, it should be a totally unfiltered podcast that shows us what the process is like. KEEP IT PURE GODDAMN IT

Then please explain Brad's objections. Jeff seems to get pretty angry with him about it -- but I think Jeff's wrong on this one.

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By EnduranceFun

I think when people say they dislike Patrick, it is because of what they say - his obnoxious attitude and how he's usually uninformed but very quick to assert himself even when others in the same conversation are far more qualified. It's silly to then reply to these comments by calling them 'irrational' or 'childish' when they point out exactly what is their problem with Patrick. I don't know how it could be clearer, especially when it's on a specific issue.

On the actual subject matter, I personally don't care about the spoilers but I can imagine the gratuitousness can be be irritating if you do care. Nothing to be done.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By iamjohn

@planetary said:

How much more obtuse can you be?

Ryan: The purpose of us recording this is transparency. You present these awards for Game of the Year, and there’s always the question of: “How did they come to this decision? That seems crazy!” Even if it is crazy, at least this way they will see the craziness.

Brad: Yes. This is a podcast second and a sausage-making process first.

-GotY Podcast Day One, 3:26-3:45

Note how Brad just contradicted your entire argument of what you claim he thinks these podcasts should be.

fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By fRAWRst

@planetary said:

who the fuck are you to decide what "goty" should be?!

fuck off! stop being such a entitled bitch who thinks he can get whatever he wants.

and stop listening to a SPOILER if you do not want SPOILERS.