coopdegra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By coopdegra
No Caption Provided

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but yeah the font on the bar on the wiki pages is real fuzzy and weird looking, Win 8 Chrome 24

Forderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Forderz
No Caption Provided

Sorry about the delay, the site crashed and then I decided to go running.

doublezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but yeah the font on the bar on the wiki pages is real fuzzy and weird looking, Win 8 Chrome 24

Wow. Chrome has always had awful font rendering, but that looks particularly bad.

It seems like the font decisions were made on a Mac, and if they were checked on PC, it was using GDI (old style rendering) rather than DirectWrite. (normal ClearType rendering)

coopdegra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@00: Interesting, I never knew this was a problem with chrome, So is this something that can be fixed, should I just learn to love the fuzz, or go back to firefox.

doublezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By doublezero

@coopdegra

said:

@00: Interesting, I never knew this was a problem with chrome, So is this something that can be fixed, should I just learn to love the fuzz, or go back to firefox.

Chrome does a number of stupid things for the sake of “speed”. The reality is that Chrome has become bloated and really isn’t much faster than Firefox these days. I also don’t trust my browsing data to an advertising company (that’s where Google makes its money) that has proven many times over that they do not care about user privacy, or privacy laws.

Firefox is focused on rendering quality—whether that’s font rendering, colour management, or image scaling. Memory management is often brought up in relation to Firefox, but the reality is that it was “fixed” around version 5 or 6 (fixed implies that it was broken) when browsers like Chrome are actually memory hogs that obfuscate it over several processes.

It’s too bad that Safari for Windows development seems to have ended. While it was not without issues, it brought the OS X style font rendering options over, and is a WebKit browser that doesn’t sacrifice quality for speed. (though its colour management and image scaling is not as good as Firefox)

What I will say though, is that a lot of things are hidden settings in Firefox without an easy to use config, such as the advanced font rendering options. (but the defaults should be better than Chrome/IE anyway, as long as you leave hardware acceleration enabled)

coopdegra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@00 Thanks, very informative, yeah i had stopped using Firefox probably around 4. I'll guess it's back to firefox.

alexisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@00: Good post. Yeah I have mentioned this in a few other posts across the site. Chrome's failure on Windows to use DirectWrite is a huge pain point right now. I've actually got a test just for ChromeWindows to take off the bold on certain elements. I am slowly going through and adjusting individually bad spots.