• 54 results
Avatar image for digitaldiatribe
digitaldiatribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I'm using Downcast for iOS and today I'm having issues getting podcasts from the premium feed. I have a yearly sub and confirmed my password is indeed working. I removed and re-added the feed in the app and reapplied my login details but still comes up as with an authentication failure.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By rorie

@digitaldiatribe: I'm not familiar with Downcast; do you subscribe to any other authenticated feeds on it? Do they work? Some apps work poorly with authenticated feeds.

digitaldiatribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By digitaldiatribe

@rorie Just GB's Premium Feeds. It's worked just fine for the last couple of months getting the Untitled Giant Bomb Movie Podcast/Box Office Bomb and Power Bombcast. It just happened to stop working as of today. Box Office Bomb Episode 8 was the last episode it accessed and downloaded a podcast.

The app tries to refresh feeds whenever the app opens or I request a manual refresh and it worked just fine up until today and app hasn't been updated since it's last update on August 28th.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I had the same issue today so it isn't just you.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@digitaldiatribe: The dirty little secret is that we didn't have authentication on that RSS feed until the last couple of days; it was unprotected. So this still might be an issue with the app

I had the same issue today so it isn't just you.

Which app are you using?

ltsquigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If you use an incognito window, does the authentication work here (should prompt you for login if your incognito): http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/

digitaldiatribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By digitaldiatribe

@ltsquigs: Nope, it does not work. The login window just reappears after entering my login info.

@rorie: You sure? I couldn't access it on the app when I added it back then because it asked me for a login for that and didn't work until I put it in.

ltsquigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@digitaldiatribe: Yeah I just bought Downcast and tested it works fine, so it's not the program. Do you log in to the site through Twitter/Facebook? Or do you have a regular account.

digitaldiatribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltsquigs: I'm using the umbrella account that was originally used during the Whiskey Media days where the one login provided access to all sites. I still use it to login into GB and ComicVine which is a different username that what I'm using here.

ltsquigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can use words, you can't use your email account you need to use your username.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rorie

@digitaldiatribe: I suspect this might be because there's an email mismatch in two of our databases for you. Can you email me at support@giantbomb.com and I can see about fixing this for you?

digitaldiatribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Yep, just sent it to you.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The same message popped up for me today. I changed my login credentials, in the Downcast app, to my username instead of my email address and now it's working fine. You might want to try that!

This ended up working for me too. Thanks

digitaldiatribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yeah, @helmetbunny, thanks for the suggestion, but I never used my email address in Downcast, strictly username.

ElJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By ElJosh

@rorie @ltsquigs

hi guys, as i mentioned in the premium podcasts comments, is it supposed to be prompting for creds on every refresh or should it be able to cache? it successfully refreshes but is annoying with the prompts this probably isnt for you guys but thought it was worth asking....thanks

update, sorry i am using Instacast on IOS

josh

Swiftopian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Swiftopian

I am having the same trouble with Downcast as of today. I use my username. I don't care as much about the ads, at least for now, but I do care about getting the other premium podcasts. Actually mine doesn't say denied, just shows no episodes.

stresspanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like Apple's official Podcast app on iOS doesn't support authentication at all, so it's not seeing anything.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stresspanda: This might be a workaround, but I can't speak to any of it, not using Macs or iPhones.

Loading Video...

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Swiftopian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Swiftopian

I got Downcast to work somehow. I had deleted the feed from the iOS version, but when I went on the Mac OSX version it was still there and said it could not authenticate. Entered my username and password and success. It synced to my iOS version and now I'm good.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I subscribed to premium podcasts using itunes by pasting in the RSS url to subscribe and I'm getting the same thing today.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eljosh: Does Instacast support authenticated RSS feeds?

digitaldiatribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie@ltsquigs I changed the username from my master account to my GB account and it seems to be working now?

ElJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: i have sent a tweet to the vidmedio feed, hopefully will hear something back, and it does work, just makes me re-enter on every refresh of the feed..... if i hear anything ill post it up........... thanks for the assistance

jchenderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am new to this RSS feed premium subscription stuff could anyone link me to a page that has step by step guide to just be able to subscribe to premium bombcast and movie cast. Have spent half an hour copying this and that into downcast with no fucing idea what I am doing.

digitaldiatribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jchenderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jchenderson

@digitaldiatribe said:

@jchenderson: You have to add the feed manually, paste http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/ into the add manually section and enter your GB login credentials and you should be good to go in Downcast.

Cheers, I think I may be missing the xml part of that address. Much appreciated.

edit- It was definitely the -xml part that made the difference. Thanks again for the support works a treat now.

Swiftopian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jchenderson: Try this:

1. Open Downcast

2. Press Add on the bottom bar

3. Press Add Podcast Manually

4. In the Feed field type: http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/

5. Input your username and password below that

weavminas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as Pocketcasts goes, password protected podcasts are currently not supported (support page). Until it gets added we're supposed to ask if encoding the user credentials is possible in the feed url.

Thanks for temporarily disabling the authentication. It was convenient and you guys are pretty awesome for sneaking that out there.

A workaround for Pocketcasts until updates happen. Manually download the mp3s for Premium Whiskey and place them in the Pocketcasts/custom_episodes folder. This will allow them to show up in the app for smart and custom playlists and auto delete from your phone if that's how you roll.

FadedOasis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

List of other RSS readers that I've tried that won't work:

Inoreader (browser)

Podax (Android)

Podcatcher (Android)

Simple Podcatcher (Android)

This is just getting dumb now. Nothing I try works, and I'm not going to install the bloated Windows version of iTunes just for an RSS feed of the Bombcast.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By tourgen

having the same problem with my nokia N9. worked last week, stopped working sometime around the 16th.

Chuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Chuck_

downcast on ios 6.something.

typed in username and password and it said failed

edit: problem solved. solution, entered email and password, got another fail error, then I entered my username again and it worked!

thethirdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@weavminas: does this mean the movie and wrestling podcasts will stop working now on pocket cast?

Dante_the_Jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not sure if this will work as I have not had time to try it but, maybe this will work for podcatchers that don't come up password field

Feed: http://www.test.com/podcast.xml

Username: test@email.com

Password: 12345

Feed URL with credentials: http://test%40email%2Ecom:12345@www.test.com/podcast.xml

And you would replace with your username(or email), password and add http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/

As I said not sure if that will work as I have not had time to try.

weavminas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By weavminas

@thethirdman: Yes, theyr'e in the same feed as the ad-free bombcast. Pocket Casts has said they plan on adding username and password authentication in an update. So far they've updated the app twice in the past week with other fixes so I have high hopes they'll get to this.

In the meantime, Beyond Pod on android does support authentication. For me it was my username not email. It'll give you a week of free trial to test the app and you can export the .opml from Pocket Casts so you don't have to resubscribe to everything.

Edit: Then Edited again when I found a mistake

I've found a way to encode the authentication in the podcast url that works with Pocket Casts.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/:?os_username=UUUUUUU&os_password=XXXXXXX

Put your username (or email whichever lets you sign in) in for UUUUUUU and your password in for XXXXXXX. if your password or username uses special charectes (:/#?&@%+ or spaces) use this site to replace that in your password (p@ssword becomes pa%40word)

Nevermind. It works with Zune on PC but for Pocket Casts it redirects to the standard bombcast feed. I'll keep tinkering,

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

As a premium member, I still kinda want to hear the ads. At least once, they've gotta be weird in some way, right?

Also getting the ad-free one to work with Pocket Casts sounds like a hassle I'd rather not hoff.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadedoasis: Are you using your username and password? The feed apparently doesn't work if you enter your email address.

FadedOasis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: There's nowhere to enter a username/password in any of them. Most RSS readers don't support authentication, which makes premium RSS feeds a pain in the ass.

Dante_the_Jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have found a way to get it to work with podcatcher for foobar2000 you need to have the url for the RSS feed set like this

http://username:password@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/

Replace username with your username and password with your password not need to change anything in to url code.

I would think this would work for most RSS/podcast things that don't ask for the login info, the only thing with this is it will be sending your password in plain text(as part of the url)...but I am not sure if the RSS/podcast things that do ask for info don't just to this anyway. Hope this helps everyone.

Matoyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Matoyak

Just a heads up: Zune on PC specifically asks for your email address, however you must use the site username. That's an issue on Zune's side, I'd assume (bad prompt built into the GUI, looks like), but y'all might wanna message that on y'all's end. :)

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By rorie

@matoyak: Hmm, weird. I'll be sure to mention that if anyone brings it up.

Kingpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@dante_the_jedi: Thank you sir. I use Podcast Addict and was going nuts trying to figure out how to fix this.

mikecardii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thethirdman: Yes, theyr'e in the same feed as the ad-free bombcast. Pocket Casts has said they plan on adding username and password authentication in an update. So far they've updated the app twice in the past week with other fixes so I have high hopes they'll get to this.

In the meantime, Beyond Pod on android does support authentication. For me it was my username not email. It'll give you a week of free trial to test the app and you can export the .opml from Pocket Casts so you don't have to resubscribe to everything.

What did you do to get it working on Beyond Pod? I just installed it and had no luck, the feed doesn't even prompt me for a login, it just says the feed has no content and gives me errors.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#49  Edited By Forcen

@dante_the_jedi said:

I have found a way to get it to work with podcatcher for foobar2000 you need to have the url for the RSS feed set like this

http://username:password@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/

Replace username with your username and password with your password not need to change anything in to url code.

I would think this would work for most RSS/podcast things that don't ask for the login info, the only thing with this is it will be sending your password in plain text(as part of the url)...but I am not sure if the RSS/podcast things that do ask for info don't just to this anyway. Hope this helps everyone.

Nice, now I can use VLC for watching videos without relogging in all the time.

Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having the same issue with iTunes. Very annoying.