When Giant Bomb site loads - it is turning off audio for other apps on my phone (podcasts/music)

furiousjodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Not a gigantic deal as I've hit a few sites that do this, but I'm on an iPhone (6S) on the most current public firmware and when I open up Giant Bomb on Chrome it is interrupting playback of audio apps/etc. This isn't the only site that does this but I believe this is a new development for giantbomb.com.

This is before I've clicked on anything like a video that would otherwise be completely normal to take control of audio on my phone.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@furiousjodo: Hmm, this isn't happening for me on Android. Is it still happening for you? It might have been a temporary ad-based issue or something. Are you logged in when this is happening?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

I've also had this happen on iOS. I think it's an OS feature, where anytime you go to a Giant Bomb page that has video playback, iOS kills the audio coming from your podcast or music app because the OS knows that page is capable of playing audio.

fwiw, it doesn't do this on other Giant Bomb pages like the forums or podcasts, just the video pages. I think something might have changed on the GB site to cause this, because while it definitely seems like it's the OS that is killing the audio, I've deliberately not updated my phone OS in months and months, but the GB site killing my phone audio only started a few weeks ago. I'd guess that the video pages are tagged differently than they used to be or something. It's almost like the OS thinks those pages are autoplay, so it kills the audio from the background app, thinking that the page I just navigated to is going to immediately start playing.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I've been experiencing this issue as well. Front page only, iOS10, haven't updated as much as they want me to.

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Happens on all my iOS devices too!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Samsies! i'm also on IOS 10, I think, not the most current firmware.

Dr_Unorthadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Also happens to me when using amazon music and podcast apps

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Yeah, this has happened to me on Android before, but I was using the Adblock Browser. It does not do it on Chrome. I was listening to music using the Samsung Music App. I also tried it with Google Play Music and it's the same story.

mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By mx

It also happens with me on iOS 11. And I'm logged in when it happens. When I open my control center it briefly shows this text where my music originally would be: data:video/mp4;base64,AAAAIGZ0exB

That's all I could see. After a brief flash, the control center continues to display my music, paused. It always seems to return to my music. Even with Audible playing before opening the website.

DukeKaboom89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here if playing music or podcasts once you go to the front page it will stop the song or what have you! Not a big deal but only recently started happening must be the new iOS update.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could be they run some code to see what video formats your device supports? If that tries to play iOS will cut out any other audio.

If so, that should happen when the user tries to play a video.

Robinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

iOS 10 here, same problem on safari and chrome. as soon as I close the page my audio starts back up tho

furiousjodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Definitely still happens. I am logged in as Premium Sub so don't see ads at all.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@furiousjodo: @rorie:

If you have music playing you can swipe up to see the track info. After the main page launches, iOS removes you music data and replaces it with the info for the mp4 on top of the site. I’m assuming it’s because the video actually loads rather than just leaving a dumb thumbnail in its place.

No Caption Provided