Delete: Emergent Gameplay?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By StarFoxA
This seems more like marketing lingo than a legitimate concept to me. What do you guys think? Maybe it's that it's 2:00am, and I'm not really understanding exactly what the concept is, but it doesn't seem too well-defined either.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Nope. It's just secret marketing code for "We think this game we're pimping has some form of dynamicism". I would say dump it. Hard to define.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I say that until we get a solid definition of what it actually is, it should probably be gone.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By DystopiaX

Agreed with opinions stated here, emergent gameplay isn't a concept as much as it is a buzzword, and therefore not worthy of a page.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By tebbit
@BeachThunder said:
" Agree. I was actually just thinking this before.

It could perhaps be substituted for slightly more specific things like:
sandbox
open world
physics manipulation "
But none of those things really describe emergent gameplay, they are just common elements of it. I don't think there is any other word to describe emergent gameplay other than by describing it. So I reckon it should stay.

There are plenty of games that don't have emergent gameplay, and some that do. Why should it be deleted?
Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Kyle

Sure, it's a buzzword, but I think the description for the concept on the page makes a pretty solid case for defining emergent gameplay. It's the principle of letting players choose the way they interact with a scenario of objects or systems with their own sets of defined rules rather than predetermining how players will interact with the game. It's like the polar opposite of scripted events

A lot of times emergent gameplay leads to the player creating "meta-games:" "Let's see how quickly I can kill my Sim by trapping him in a sealed room" or maybe "I wonder how high I can make this warthog jump by launching a rocket at these grenades."

While I agree that emergent gameplay often involves open worlds and physics, I think it's unfair to limit it to these things. There's plenty of ways to have emergent gameplay without either.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By monetarydread

Emergent game play is a concept that is worth being on the site. 

Think of project gotham and the tag mode. It originally started online when there was an unwritten rule that you needed to bump the driver ahead of you before  you were allowed to pass. This game mode grew in popularity to the point where the next game in the series had that mode built in as a feature.  

The rocket jump in quake is another great example of emergent gameplay (featured in the article so I won't go into it). Or GTA III multiplayer, where one person goes on a rampage until he dies / gets arrested, then passes the controller to the next guy.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Alexander

I feel the Wikipedia article on the term covers it pretty extensively and it describes something definite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergent_gameplay

As a marketing buzzword I think the term, if to be taken away, should be from the likes of Scribblenauts - the player is supposed to use any of the 10,000 objects to complete a level, its intentional where the term emergent suggests unintentional (imo). An example of unintentional is Cat & Mouse from PGR2.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#10  Edited By BeachThunder
@Tebbit said:
Why should it be deleted? "
Because it's a completely nebulous term. *All* games have some kind of rules, and given the interactive nature of games, even in the most linear of games, could turn out to be "unpredictable". 

Take the idea of teabagging; if the rules of a game allow you to crouch, then you more or less have the ability to teabag, right? The ability to crouch specifically over someone else's corpse, wasn't necessarily programmed into the game, it's just something that can happen. Should we consider that emergent? Where would/should a line be drawn?  I can perhaps see the case for some of the games on that list (Scribblenauts, Minecraft), but the page should at least provide more clarity if it's to become a useful concept. At the moment, it just comes across as awkwardly trying to define a confusing buzzword.

tl;dr: what do Mirror's Edge and Scribblenauts have in common? Emergent Gameplay, of course! Wait...what? =/
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By tebbit
@BeachThunder: Good point.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By iamjohn
@BeachThunder: Exactamundo.  The problem with this concept is that it's so non-specific that it can be applied to anything.  One of the ways I always play Smash Bros. is that I'll randomly decide to play as Jigglypuff, play on Final Destination, and then force everyone to dodge me as I constantly perform rollouts from one side of the stage to another.  Is that emergent gameplay?  Saints Row 2 had all those bizarre things you could do like skydiving, car surfing and streaking that you could turn into score-whore games if you so wanted.  Is that emergent gameplay? 

With a strong concept, we need to be able to say both what the concept is and what the concept isn't.  With emergent gameplay, we have a nebulous idea of what it is that we're poorly defining through examples of things that started off as people screwing around and then became game modes (so does that mean they're no longer emergent gameplay?), and no clear definition of what it isn't.  That's a problem.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Unpredictable or unintended effects of players interactions with a gameworld applies to all games equally, so it's too broad to be a useful concept. It's advertising language.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#14  Edited By sarahsdad
@iAmJohn said:
" @BeachThunder: Exactamundo.  The problem with this concept is that it's so non-specific that it can be applied to anything.  One of the ways I always play Smash Bros. is that I'll randomly decide to play as Jigglypuff, play on Final Destination, and then force everyone to dodge me as I constantly perform rollouts from one side of the stage to another.  Is that emergent gameplay?  Saints Row 2 had all those bizarre things you could do like skydiving, car surfing and streaking that you could turn into score-whore games if you so wanted.  Is that emergent gameplay?  With a strong concept, we need to be able to say both what the concept is and what the concept isn't.  With emergent gameplay, we have a nebulous idea of what it is that we're poorly defining through examples of things that started off as people screwing around and then became game modes (so does that mean they're no longer emergent gameplay?), and no clear definition of what it isn't.  That's a problem. "
Agreed. If we go by some of the types of "Emergent Gameplay" from the Wikipedia article, it seems like Emergent gameplay could be as simple as Mario Bros. speed runs
Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iAmJohn: Neither of your examples are emergent gameplay because they were designed consciously into the game. 

And it's not just marketing speak whoever suggested that, it's a part of game theory. 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King

This is subjective as hell. It amounts to nothing more than "unintended shit you can do in the game", maybe. Delete it.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Video_Game_King:  I was thinking the same thing this is really subjective....axe this shit.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Hailinel
@drag said:
" @iAmJohn: Neither of your examples are emergent gameplay because they were designed consciously into the game.  And it's not just marketing speak whoever suggested that, it's a part of game theory.  "
Then whoever theorized it should either do a better job of writing the page or provide a better defense for why this page should even exist.  As it is, it's almost entirely subjective and should be deleted.
Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel: I don't really understand the argument against, it's as nebulous as any other theoretical concept from which debate it likely to arise. I believe the central concept is as solid as anything else, just when looking at specific instances that disagreement might occur and when the intent of the creator comes into question then things are inevitably going to swing either way.

That said, I have no interest whether the page stays or goes. Just that if the requirement for adding any conceptual game ideas into the database in complete objective agreement on terms between theorists ... that is never going to happen.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iamjohn
@drag said:
" @Hailinel: I don't really understand the argument against, it's as nebulous as any other theoretical concept from which debate it likely to arise. I believe the central concept is as solid as anything else, just when looking at specific instances that disagreement might occur and when the intent of the creator comes into question then things are inevitably going to swing either way.

That said, I have no interest whether the page stays or goes. Just that if the requirement for adding any conceptual game ideas into the database in complete objective agreement on terms between theorists ... that is never going to happen.
"
So let me get this straight: despite the fact that you don't care whether or the page stays or not, you think the page should stay because other theoretical concepts (which you haven't given us an example of) are equally nebulous and poorly defined?  You fully understand that a good concept is defined not only by its ability to be well articulated, but by being broad enough to not just be applicable to one game while being narrow enough to not include every game under the sun, right?

So I ask you: in your own words, define this concept.  If the examples I gave earlier aren't Emergent Gameplay (and why aren't they?  They may be things we created out of messing with all the modifiers the game allows you to tweak in addition to our own in-house rules, but they aren't modes you will ever find in the game except for that we created them; how are they not valid and yet something like any of the Halo modes that came from people experimenting with Forge - Rocket Race, for example - makes the cut?), what are?  How does saying "I'm going to force myself to play a game a certain way" and maybe having a whole different experience because of it, be it playing Soul Calibur with a fishing rod controller, doing a pacifist run in Super Mario Bros. or speed running Portal, not constitute Emergent Gameplay?  Why does a developer saying "this game has emergent gameplay" make it suddenly true time and time again we've seen developers say whatever it takes to get people interested in their game, let alone not trading it back to GameStop?

But you can't, otherwise you wouldn't have defended this concept by saying that other theoretical concepts are just as questionable (while, again, not giving a single example).  And this is exactly why this concept should be deleted.
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#21  Edited By jeff

I'm with you guys on this one, this page is a little silly. One could argue that every game ever made has some sort of "emergent" quality, and the concept as it's currently written is an bad example.

Cuttin' it! MOVIN.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iamjohn

Welp, I guess we're done here!