Delete or Rename: Austin Powers Golf Cart

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel
Austin Powers Golf Cart appears to be about a specific action that can occur during multiplayer shooters, but is this really worth a concept?  And even if it is a worthy concept, its name is too obtuse to be acceptable.  This concept should either be deleted or renamed.
Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#2  Edited By Marino  Staff

I approved it in the queue but it was definitely borderline.  The original name was just "Austin Powers" but clearly people wouldn't think of a car getting stuck if that was the only name, so I changed it slightly before hitting Approve. 

i'm not saying its validity (or the name) shouldn't be debated though.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By tmthomsen

This concept is rather stupid since it can be applied to every game containing cars and narrow passages.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

Interesting concept, but Austin Powers wasn't driving a golf cart when he got stuck in the movie.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Karl_Boss

I actually like the concept and name....it should stay

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hailinel
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
" I actually like the concept and name....it should stay "
Explain to me how I'm supposed to derive what the concept is for from the name of it.
Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Marino  Staff
@Hailinel: If you've seen the movie, you would know.   Again, I'm not really defending it, but it is a thing that happens.
Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Not_Rage
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hailinel
@Marino said:
" @Hailinel: If you've seen the movie, you would know.   Again, I'm not really defending it, but it is a thing that happens. "
Yes, I've seen the scene as linked by Not_Rage, and it still seems absurd that the concept is named as such because it's not a reference that everyone would immediately get, and as others have noted, that's not a golf cart.
Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Marino  Staff
@Hailinel: Yeah, I realize it's not a golf cart now.  I hadn't seen the movie in 10 years.  But it was better than just leaving it as "Austin Powers" alone.  And I did immediately realize what he was talking about, which is why I approved it.  Of course I expected it to come up for debate.
falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#11  Edited By falconer

Not gonna lie, that's totally happened to me before. Halo 3, rocket race. And you can bet I saved the film.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hailinel
@Marino said:
" @Hailinel: Yeah, I realize it's not a golf cart now.  I hadn't seen the movie in 10 years.  But it was better than just leaving it as "Austin Powers" alone.  And I did immediately realize what he was talking about, which is why I approved it.  Of course I expected it to come up for debate. "
You approved it because you yourself got the reference even though you had no idea how widespread knowledge of the reference was and that you knew it would come up for debate?  That's shaky reasoning for approving the concept.  I've seen Austin Powers before, a long time ago, and I completely forgot about that bit of the movie before that Youtube clip was posted.  I'm sure that I'm not the only person that would react the same way.  Is there honestly no better name that you could think of that did not depend on the Austin Powers reference?
Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Deusoma

I'm just gonna throw this out there, but I distinctly remembering hearing "Oh jeez, I Austin Powers-ed it" on a recent Quick Look when this exact thing happened.

>_> Now if only I could remember which one it was.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By shirogane

I'm going to agree the name is pretty bad in terms of describing what it is. 

I think the reason it got submitted was cause someone in a quick look said something along the lines of 'Austin Powering' while this was happening. 
Also, does there really need to be a concept for this?
jakeroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jakeroc

I rewrote is so...it...makes sense. I also added some games. Halo 3 for the warthog and Half Life 2 for the air bike (god damn it to Hell)

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Marino  Staff
@Hailinel: Please forgive me.  In the future I will exclude you all from process and make decisions on borderline pages regardless of what anyone else thinks.  /sarcasm 

Seriously, as I said before, I thought it was borderline, so I gave it the okay knowing full well that it would most likely end up here.  Essentially I was sending it to the D&C forum for review by you guys.  How is that bad?  So the guy got like 3 points for something that may get deleted.  OH NO!  And as for the name, again, yeah I fucked up by calling it a golf cart.  So let's rename it.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Marino:  This is why I think all concept should have to go through the discussion board before being excepted.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hailinel
@Marino:   You're basically saying that as submitted, the concept wasn't good enough, so you changed the title without decreasing the level of ambiguity and then posted it anyway.  You honestly couldn't think of anything better, like Environmental Vehicular Entrapment?
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Bones8677

I don't believe it to be a concept, it's just something that happens do to poor level design. I'd say it should be deleted, it's only worthy of a foot note anyway.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Marino  Staff
@Hailinel said:
" @Marino:   You're basically saying that as submitted, the concept wasn't good enough, so you changed the title without decreasing the level of ambiguity and then posted it anyway.  You honestly couldn't think of anything better, like Environmental Vehicular Entrapment? "
I'm saying the name wasn't good enough and I didn't take the time to think of a significantly better name.  Could I have taken more time on it?  Sure.  Should I have?  Maybe.  I honestly believe that no matter what I decided to name it, it was going to end up here in the D&C forum because, as I've said numerous times, I believed the concept to be borderline.  I don't know how many times I can explain my thought process on this issue.  What do you want from me?  To promise I'll do better in the future? 

@Unknown_Pleasures
said:
" @Marino:  This is why I think all concept should have to go through the discussion board before being excepted. "
While sending ALL of them is probably overkill, I agree with you in principle.  Even before I was a mod I would often monitor the "newest additions" tab on each of the categories looking for debatable submissions.  I'm sure you can see that from my previous posts in this forum.  So while having every new concept be discussed here probably isn't feasible, I think there's enough of us monitoring it to catch the extraneous stuff.
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By FireBurger
@TMThomsen: AI can be applied to every game, but it's still a concept. Not saying this concept isn't stupid, or doesn't need work, but commonality hasn't ever been a metric before.
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tmthomsen

My problem with it is that it only happens due to a bug in a game, or due to input from the player; therefore not really a game concept. We don't have a "This game crashes often" concept page either.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hailinel
@Marino:   I'm not saying you and the other moderators don't know how to use common sense or anything of that nature because you guys very often do an excellent job.  However, as a moderator, isn't it your job to prevent things from reaching the point that the issue will obviously need to be brought up in the D&C forum after it goes live?  The site already has enough concepts with vague, ludicrous names as it is, not all of which a moderator had the chance to peruse because the submitter had over 5,000 wikipoints.  There are enough items that need debate without the moderators knowingly adding more to the pile.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Karl_Boss

Hailinel does make a good point....maybe you should have brought that submission to the attention of this board before making changes to it and accepting it.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Marino  Staff
@Unknown_Pleasures: I'm not the only one working the queue.  So someone else would've either approved it, or it would've been deleted while we discussed it.  There's a mod quest for getting to 1000 wiki approvals/denials, so it wouldn't have lingered there either way.
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Seedofpower

How about calling car pancakes.

No? ok...

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Marino:  Mods have exclusive quests?
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Hailinel said:
" @Unknown_Pleasures said:
" I actually like the concept and name....it should stay "
Explain to me how I'm supposed to derive what the concept is for from the name of it. "
You got to have those creative juices flowing. ;)
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By CL60

Everybody needs to shut the hell up. Marino explained why he accepted it and changed it. But apparently you still have to fucking complain.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Marino  Staff
@Unknown_Pleasures: A few, yeah.  Don't tell nobody! =) 

Seriously though, much like some of the quests encourage people to use the site as it was intended.  The mod ones encourage us to do what we're supposed to do.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hailinel

So is it just going to be left as is, or is the name going to be changed, or will the concept be deleted?  This conversation has gotten a bit off-topic.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By alexl86

As this has happened to me on occasion, I don't see any reason to not have it here. However, it's suggested that this phenomenon is exclusive to multiplayer, which it is not. It can happen in pretty much any game with vehicular gameplay, and when it's happened to me it's mostly in games like GTA.

As for the name, it's referencing pop culture, in this case a fairly popular movie. I think the reference is fine, though the name is not.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By StarFoxA

I feel like the concept's name should be changed, as it's not really something it's referenced to commonly. In fact, this is probably covered by the "Getting Stuck in Geometry" concept, from what it looks like. It's really not all that different.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ArchScabby

It should stay.  And that's why.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ignor

What StarFoxA said.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By StarFoxA

So, what's the status on this page? Will it be deleted? Renamed?

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Marino  Staff

I'd agree with you that it's covered already by the Geometry page.  I didn't know that one existed. 

So I'd say delete it.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By mracoon

I've deleted it.