Should the Original Soundtrack concept be deleted?

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I am talking about this page. Apparently in the past it was a page for games that had their soundtrack realeased separately (which is kind of stupid by itself) but it seems that for quite some time people have just added every game that has an original score, which is almost every game ever made. Now if we are going to have a page like that it would make more sense to make a page for games that don't have music (for example Limbo) or if you want to be more broad you can make a page for games with no original scores which will also include games like Guitar hero and Dance Central.

So I am putting this up for discussion because personally I think this page is way too broad and stupid (and not in the good way) and shouldn't exist.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Dingofighter

Why not just change the name into something which better signifies what it's about? "Original Soundtrack Albums" or something like that.  
 Then of course clearing out the games which doesn't belong.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@MaFoLu: Because it's hard to keep track of which games had their soundtrack released and what counts a a release (like does a soundtrack included with the collectors edition) also we would need to restart the page anyway because it is filled with hundreds of games that don't belong there.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By AlexW00d

You have a point, but I imagine someone will come along and shoot your idea down and that will be it.

But I personally definitely agree with you. It's kind of like having a concept page for voice acting and linking almost every modern game to it. (I bet there is one now I've said that)

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Dingofighter

Well, whether or not Collector's Edition soundtracks are allowed is just something that will have to be decided beforehand, and then written on the page itself in order to make it clearer to people. 
I feel like if you just try to make it more obvious what the page is supposed to be about, then it won't be as much of a problem, I mean "Original Soundtrack" doesn't really make it clear that it is only about games with a separate album. 

And, yeah, I guess it would be much easier to just make a whole new page, but I still feel like it is a viable page to have.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd support getting rid of it, since a concept that encompasses every game ever made probably isn't a good concept. *waits for somebody to point out major hole in logic*

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ryanwho

It would make more sense to have a page for  "licensed soundtrack" because its a much narrower field. Crazy Taxi, Tony Hawk and that kinda shit.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By CrimsonAvenger
@AlexW00d:  

Yup, there's a page for Voice Acting and it has 938 games attached to it. I haven't the faintest idea of why someone thought it was a good idea to make a page about such a broad concept like Voice Acting.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

@CrimsonAvenger said:

@AlexW00d:

Yup, there's a page for Voice Acting and it has 938 games attached to it. I haven't the faintest idea of why someone thought it was a good idea to make a page about such a broad concept like Voice Acting.

Because it's a valid concept that is easily defined.

Avatar image for favoritobandito
FavoritoBandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By FavoritoBandito
@MaFoLu said:
Why not just change the name into something which better signifies what it's about? "Original Soundtrack Albums" or something like that.   Then of course clearing out the games which doesn't belong.
Seems like the right thing to do.  The page seems misguided as it is with a name as broad as original soundtrack.
Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I'd like to hear some more opinions about this.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King
@dudeglove

That page should probably be deleted. It'd be like having a page for games that use graphics.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iamjohn

This page definitely needs to be renamed to something like "Games with Original Soundtrack Albums" or something. The idea of there being a concept for any game with an original soundtrack is ludicrous, since there's barely any games that don't have original music of some kind. Fuck, most of the Tony Hawk games, despite their licensed soundtracks, have original music in them.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#15  Edited By Marino  Staff

@Mr_Skeleton: @MaFoLu: @Video_Game_King: @Headcrab86: @iAmJohn:

I've set up a wiki task to clean up the page.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hailinel

@iAmJohn said:

This page definitely needs to be renamed to something like "Games with Original Soundtrack Albums" or something. The idea of there being a concept for any game with an original soundtrack is ludicrous, since there's barely any games that don't have original music of some kind. Fuck, most of the Tony Hawk games, despite their licensed soundtracks, have original music in them.

The thing about this argument is, particularly in Japan, you'd be hard pressed to find any game that doesn't have a soundtrack album these days.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iamjohn

@Hailinel: That's unfortunately true, which is why I started working on the task, felt like I was getting in way over my head and bailed on it (sorry Marino!). However, it looks like this is the route we're going with this concept so time to just deal. Does anyone know of a good VG soundtrack database that could help with this? Galbadia Hotel's the only one I can think of, but they don't update regularly, have almost no Western releases, and it can be hard to tell which things they have there are "official" considering they also host Game Rips.

Come to think of it, I actually have a couple questions about how we should handle this if you're out there, @Marino or any of the other mods: how are we defining soundtrack releases? Digital-only releases make sense being added to me (as that's the only way to get things like Super Meat Boy or Scott Pilgrim's soundtracks), but what about, for lack of a better term, semi-official releases? Valve's comes to mind here, since they're constantly releasing their soundtracks in weird ways. Left 4 Dead 2, for example, never got an official soundtrack release, but the songs from the game are easily accessible in the system files and are unencoded MP3s, so basically anyone who owns a copy of L4D2 on Steam has that soundtrack for free, kind of like how they threw the Portal 1 soundtrack into Audiosurf. Do these count? What about Portal 2, for which they released a bunch of the soundtrack for free online?

Also, what should we do about albums like Brink of Time, the official remix album of Chrono Trigger music?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hailinel

@iAmJohn said:

@Hailinel: That's unfortunately true, which is why I started working on the task, felt like I was getting in way over my head and bailed on it (sorry Marino!). However, it looks like this is the route we're going with this concept so time to just deal. Does anyone know of a good VG soundtrack database that could help with this? Galbadia Hotel's the only one I can think of, but they don't update regularly, have almost no Western releases, and it can be hard to tell which things they have there are "official" considering they also host Game Rips.

Come to think of it, I actually have a couple questions about how we should handle this if you're out there, @Marino or any of the other mods: how are we defining soundtrack releases? Digital-only releases make sense being added to me (as that's the only way to get things like Super Meat Boy or Scott Pilgrim's soundtracks), but what about, for lack of a better term, semi-official releases? Valve's comes to mind here, since they're constantly releasing their soundtracks in weird ways. Left 4 Dead 2, for example, never got an official soundtrack release, but the songs from the game are easily accessible in the system files and are unencoded MP3s, so basically anyone who owns a copy of L4D2 on Steam has that soundtrack for free, kind of like how they threw the Portal 1 soundtrack into Audiosurf. Do these count? What about Portal 2, for which they released a bunch of the soundtrack for free online?

Also, what should we do about albums like Brink of Time, the official remix album of Chrono Trigger music?

I think that this task is going to end up being a largely pointless exercise. Trying to catalogue even a significant portion of all of the games with soundtrack albums out there is really just too tall an order to be expected of any of us.

And even if we do follow through with this, what about limited edition soundtracks not sold commercially, like the soundtracks that Atlus tends to package with its releases? (Actually, that's a moot point, as those soundtracks are almost certainly available for commercial purchase in Japan.)

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Marino  Staff

@iAmJohn: @Hailinel: We could just nuke the whole page and start over from scratch. Adding games that qualify as we come across them.

YoshiKart64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By YoshiKart64

Surely if anyone is interested in looking for an OST release, they'll look at the page for the game itself. That's where I would think the information should go anyway.

It's much too difficult to list games that have had soundtracks released; how do you clarify ones that have been released years later as part of collections? What about digital releases? It just doesn't seem like a list would benefit the user at all.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Marino  Staff

Maybe we should alter the page to be for games that come with a soundtrack?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hailinel

@Marino: That would certainly make it more feasibly manageable.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iamjohn

@Marino said:

Maybe we should alter the page to be for games that come with a soundtrack?

How do we count games like Audiosurf or Bioshock 2 that come with a soundtrack for different games? Or the aforementioned Left 4 Dead 2 example where it doesn't come with a soundtrack, but the soundtrack is easily accessible to anyone who wants to access their Steam gamedata folders? Or something like Frozen Synapse where the soundtrack can be bought with the game on Steam? A lot of this concept strikes me as ridiculously gray area.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#24  Edited By LordAndrew
@YoshiKart64 said:

Surely if anyone is interested in looking for an OST release, they'll look at the page for the game itself. That's where I would think the information should go anyway.

The same could be said for much of what we document. Why would someone go searching for games that feature grass? At least this concept could be of use to someone with an interest in video game music.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I don't see the difference between having an Original Soundtrack page and a Jump page.

Because I looked it up and there is totally a Jump page.