Moving threads to dead pages.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills

Sorry if this is the wrong area to put this but I've noticed something pretty annoying happening. The other day I made a thread about the new MechWarrior game being announced in General. It got a few posts in it but then a mod moved it to the mechwarrior page, a page that's virtually dead, and the thread died. A few days later someone else made a thread about the same thing and again, ended up in the MechWarrior page and died.

Isn't it be a bit silly to do this? It might as well be locked if you move it to an area no one goes too.

It happened again just recently. I made a thread about Eidos and them trying to get reviewers to give good reviews for Batman. I felt it was more about Eidos and them being dodgy, however it was moved to the Batman page and the last post there was a week ago so, again, the thread will get little to no views now until the game gets closer and the news is week/months old.

Shouldn't game forums be left for more specific things about the game? Rather than for an announcement that many people might want to hear about have them for talking about subjects such as the story, requesting help, tips, posting screenshots, or whatever?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Threads should be in the most relevant forum. It would have died just as easily i general discussion since most people just view the newest topics board anyway, which shows topics from all the boards. The forum FAQ explains all this. Being in the mechwarior forum can only be a good thing, because when someone wants to post about it again, they can easily find your already existing thread, because it is in the appropriate forum.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheGremp

The area that a thread is in doesn't change much as far as how many posts, views etc. because every thread from every forum is just compiled into one big mess of awesomeness.  In fact, it would probably improve the traffic, because not only will regular forum-viewers see it, so will people who are directly interested in the discussed game and made a point to talk in it's forums.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Hamz

Nope.

We have boards for every page within the database. We ask the community make sure they post their topics in the correct and relevant board. Dumping everything into General Discussion not only clogs up that board and makes it difficult to find specific topics discussing specific things, Eg - Batman or Mechwarrior, it also gets that many topics dumped in it that within an hour or two topics get bumped down so far people miss them.

Moving a topic from GD to a specific board atleast allows people to more easily find the topic instead of surfing through page after page after page of topics in GD and still come up with nothing. And as our Forum FAQ has always stated we want people to discuss game specific subjects in that games board.

General Discussion is and always has been for Giant Bomb website discussion and general video games discussion. Usually this relates to subject matter that perhaps doesn't have a page within the database or discussion covering multiple subjects.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By metal_mills
@MattyFTM said:
" Threads should be in the most relevant forum. It would have died just as easily i general discussion since most people just view the newest topics board anyway, which shows topics from all the boards. The forum FAQ explains all this. Being in the mechwarior forum can only be a good thing, because when someone wants to post about it again, they can easily find your already existing thread, because it is in the appropriate forum. "
Not really. General is fairly popular and both MW threads died instantly when they were moved. Shouldn't there at least be a News forum then? Maybe even with the ability to have it in multiple forums, like how you can post blogs in an area of your choice. So you can have "MW5 announced" in news and the MW page so people can see the latest stuff going on(about any game related news) but if someone goes into the Mech page later on they'll see it too. Seems kinda crap if there is a new game announced but only the people viewing the newest topics will know about it and forgotten about after a few hours.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By oldschool

My problem is that unless a thread stays popular for a reasonable time and you are on the site a lot of the time, many topics just go missing.  If there is a new topic on a game that I am unaware of, how the hell am I going to find it?  I can't find what I do not know exists.  

Take a simple case study.  Nostalgia is a game for the DS.  I have never heard of it.  Someone does a thread on a new release.  Only gets a few posts and disappears.  I am offline for a couple of days and when I log on, it is long gone.  I had no chance of ever knowing anything about it.  remember, I can't look for a thread on a game I may be interested in, but have never heard of.

If in that case study, the thread was multi-linked to the platform and the game, then I would look on the DS board and see it.  Games need multi-links to their platform at the very least.  If I am interested in news on the platform I own, be it games or hardware, then I want it all the one spot.  It is in my opinion, the biggest fault in the Giantbomb setup.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mike

Threads do not "die instantly" when moved because most people view the forums through the Newest Topics feed. If anything, having threads in the appropriate forum only prolongs their life and will get you more responses in the long run because those people looking for information or topics about Eidos or Batman aren't going to be sifting through hundreds of pages of General Discussion to find them, they will be going straight to those pages.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oldschool
@MB said:
" Threads do not "die instantly" when moved because most people view the forums through the Newest Topics feed. If anything, having threads in the appropriate forum only prolongs their life and will get you more responses in the long run because those people looking for information or topics about Eidos or Batman aren't going to be sifting through hundreds of pages of General Discussion to find them, they will be going straight to those pages. "
Can you see the validity to dual links for games to their platforms?
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Fallen189

I look at the New topics feed when I want something. It works.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hamz
@oldschool: I can understand where you're coming from in this respect. But having a topic posted in two separate boards for something like that is just seems somewhat absurd and problematic. The DS board is to do with the platform and topics about specific games for it should most definately be placed in their respective pages, and if a page doesn't exist yet then feel free to create one for it.

At the end of the day folks you may not agree with our stance on moving topics but we do ask you respect our stance on the matter.

EDIT - It would also be worth pointing out that by relocating topics to specific boards it does generate interest in the page for that game. And hopefully results in people spending more time fleshing it out, improving it and all round enjoying the database more. Instead of staying in GD and continually hitting refresh.
suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By suneku

The MW thread doesn't look too dead to me, it's on the first page of the newest threads section (ok it's not exactly your thread but it's still in the same forum and people are still using it... that's just a problem of a duplicate thread that we missed). And just because that Batman thread stopped getting replies for a couple hours doesn't mean it's dead, it was going to get buried like that whether it was in GD or Batman or Eidos's forum. I'm pretty sure if we might as well locked those threads, then they'll definitely die since people won't be able to bump them and continue the discussion.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mike
@oldschool: Sure, there is definitely room for improvement on how the forums are organized. Of course, we live in a world where it took a year for us to get the ability to even move threads, so for now this is how it's going to be.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
@Hamz said:
" @oldschool: I can understand where you're coming from in this respect. But having a topic posted in two separate boards for something like that is just seems somewhat absurd and problematic. The DS board is to do with the platform and topics about specific games for it should most definately be placed in their respective pages, and if a page doesn't exist yet then feel free to create one for it.At the end of the day folks you may not agree with our stance on moving topics but we do ask you respect our stance on the matter.EDIT - It would also be worth pointing out that by relocating topics to specific boards it does generate interest in the page for that game. And hopefully results in people spending more time fleshing it out, improving it and all round enjoying the database more. Instead of staying in GD and continually hitting refresh. "
Don't misread me on this Hamz.  I am not saying that games shouldn't be in their own board.  

I think that only the high profile games benefit from a board of their own as they have the broad recognition that can lead people to it.  All those much lesser games do not.

I don't see how it is problematic to dual link.  Technology is an amazing thing, as it allows filters to do pretty much anything you want.  Let us continue using the DS as a case study, although, the same would apply to the PSP or any other.

You go to the DS board.  There is a filter option.  You can choose Platform or Games or both.  This way, if you are interested to see what is going on in the world of games for the DS, you have a single place to see it.  If you want to filter out the games to just focus on the platform, you can also do that.  You could also filter for DS, DSi and DSiWare as that would be want you want to read about if it interests.

By having everything flung far an wide across the site, it isn't user friendly.  Giantbomb can never be my source of information for DS, Wii, PSP or 360 as long as I can't get my information in one place if I choose to.

If we are talking platform boards, then the 360 should have a board specific to hardware failure (RRoD & E74), as that makes up a big chunk of the 360 board.  The way it is done currently is counter-intuitive.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mike

You should put your suggestions in the current suggestion thread or send them to gb_community@giantbomb.com - both places where the people who make decisions about these things (and design the solutions) will see them.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
@MB said:
" You should put your suggestions in the current suggestion thread or send them to gb_community@giantbomb.com - both places where the people who make decisions about these things (and design the solutions) will see them. "
I assume that was directed at me MB?  Is there any point?  Would they really be interested in my view?  I accept that how my brain processes information is not the same as everyone else, so what seems simple and intuitive to me may not be the same for others.

I am not expecting to spur on any change, just state a personal view.  Those who conduct the site will do as they feel fit to do.  I have no beef with the moderators engaging in what they are asked to do.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mike
@oldschool: Yes it was directed at you...if you have suggestions, then suggest them in a place that they will actually get seen.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hamz
@oldschool: I can understand what you're saying. Go to a single place and filter through the content there to find what you want at the time. However the reason there is a separate board on each page within the database is to do exactly that and to provide an archive of discussion and content for that particular page and whatever it covers. It also helps to direct people to pages for games, concepts, objects etc and gain a level of interest to fill those pages out so that they better inform the community already existing here and for potential new users as well.

Personally I much prefer the current way things are handled. I would not want to have to go into a platform board and set the filter to only show game specific topics for games on that platform. Especially if I only want to find out information about a specific game. If I want to find info on a specific game I would much rather head over to its page and read the board there to find it.

Having everything lumped under one board, no matter how many filters you add, doesn't direct people to the specific page a topic covers. That is the beauty of the current layout, it directs you to the page of a game and allows you to see the content on the page as well as read the many topics associated too it over the life of the site. Take the Steam page for example, plenty of topics have been made in its board detailing weekend deals and this provides a nice little archive of information about Steam. Something this site is all about, archiving the information like a museum.

However as MB said there is a suggestion topic for site improvements or enhancements. Fire your ideas over there. Until we get told differently by the Staff we will continue to relocate topics to specific pages and to their correct board as we have been directed. And like I said already, I understand not everyone will agree with this stance but we do ask they respect it and understand it.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool

Hamz, again, I don't disagree with separate boards for as many games as necessary, but you miss the point about finding out about games you are not aware of.  That is at the heart of my point.  In fact it is my point.  You say I can just go to the page on the game I want, but I don't know what I want until I see it.  As much time as I spend looking around the internet, I don't see everything.

With filters, we would have what you want - a clean board with a single topic.  At the same time, we would have what I want - a board with all news that is news on my platform of choice.  It would be adaptive to the individual.

But as you said, this is what we have and we have to work with it.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hamz
@oldschool: One would assume if you want to keep updated on new games coming out for the DS you would visit the DS page and check to see what games are associated too it, no? With the community here being as awesome as they are and the editing system being as open as it is, things get updated very quickly and new information is added into a page within minutes or hours of it being announced. So any new DS games would likely have their own page created quickly and attatched to the DS as the game's platform.

Then of course there is the fact Newest Topics does provide an alterior, if not entirely 100% useful, method of finding out game announcements or topics concerning them for new titles on the DS.

There is also the 'New Games' tab at the top of your screen which allows users to browse new releases each month by platform. You can also go to the 'Browse' page and select the 'Games' option and look through the database by release date, recent edit, newest addition etc.

All of these methods allow the community to find out information on new releases for games that they may never have heard of before without the need for dramatically overhauling the way the forums work. It just takes a little more time on the user's part to do some added legwork and browse around the site to find out various ways to locate new releases or additions to the database.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60

Who doesn't browse through the "New Topics" area? I assumed everybody did.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#21  Edited By LordAndrew

I use Newest Topics all the time, but it's not ideal. I'm often forced to check my favorite forums, and other individual forums that I don't have listed in my favorites. Even still I end up missing numerous interesting topics.
If games can't be talked about on the platform-specific boards, and people don't constantly check the list of new or recently-edited games, they could end up completely in the dark about games of interest. Topics about games aren't always accompanied by edits to their wiki either, so those game listings are not an effective way of using the forums.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Metal_Mills said:
" @MattyFTM said:
" Threads should be in the most relevant forum. It would have died just as easily i general discussion since most people just view the newest topics board anyway, which shows topics from all the boards. The forum FAQ explains all this. Being in the mechwarior forum can only be a good thing, because when someone wants to post about it again, they can easily find your already existing thread, because it is in the appropriate forum. "
Not really. General is fairly popular and both MW threads died instantly when they were moved. Shouldn't there at least be a News forum then? Maybe even with the ability to have it in multiple forums, like how you can post blogs in an area of your choice. So you can have "MW5 announced" in news and the MW page so people can see the latest stuff going on(about any game related news) but if someone goes into the Mech page later on they'll see it too. Seems kinda crap if there is a new game announced but only the people viewing the newest topics will know about it and forgotten about after a few hours. "
If I posted a thread about my ass hair (excuse my french) in the Fallout 3 board it would probably get more views too. The point is it dosent belong there. It probably belongs in the ass hair board. If you post a thread about a game in its correct board you may get less views but people who care about the game will see it in the board and hopefully respond. I'm sorry your thread died, but its not a contest to see who can get the most views or replies.