REQUEST: Add Facebook (or Web App or Browser) as a Platform

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Luke

Hey guys, should we add Facebook (or Web App or Browser) as a "Platform" to Giant Bomb? 

Games like Mafia Wars have been brought over from the iPhone to Facebook, yet we cannot accurately track this kind of thing here on Giant Bomb, without the correct Platform in the Database. 

The "PC" Platform is also not correct, as Facebook and other Web Apps are Browser dependent and not Hardware/OS dependent.  These things could easily work through a Smart Phone or the PS3, as they are again, Browser dependent.  Also, who knows if these kind of games will work on the XBOX 360 when the Facebook App is released? 

Discuss/Feedback? 

EDIT: Grammar Fix 

krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By krystians

I have facebook, and I hate it, and I don't want to see it here. Idea is not bad, but I don't think facebook as a "gaming system.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Luke

I understand the reasoning of not wanting to have information on all the free random shitty browser games out there, but there are starting to be some exceptions. 

Like browser games made by established Companies or ports of games already in the Giant Bomb Database, but not having all possible "Platforms" inputted. 

zyxwvut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By zyxwvut

I agree.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By dsplayer1010
@zyxwvut said:
" I agree. "

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dsplayer1010
@SuperMooseman: The same could be said about the iPhone App Store
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

No, No, No, No, No!!!!! The majority of facebook and other browser games are trash. We don't want pages for every trash browser game out there. And if we were to only allow higher quality browser games, there would need to be a complex set of notability guidelines, which would make GB no better than wikipedia, which is a nightmare to get editing because of their pages and pages of rules regarding notability and stuff like that. GB should remain a simple, accessible wiki that is easy for people to get involved in editing because of the simplicity of the rules and guidelines.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dsplayer1010
@SuperMooseman: Fair Enough
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Pazy

Wasent it decided long ago "No Flash Games", while Facebook apps/games might not run on flash (which I dont know since I dont like Social Networking sites) I think they are essentially covered by "No Flash Games" in terms of what was originally meant by it.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Pazy said:
" Wasent it decided long ago "No Flash Games", while Facebook apps/games might not run on flash (which I dont know since I dont like Social Networking sites) I think they are essentially covered by "No Flash Games" in terms of what was originally meant by it. "
The original Jeff statement was "No browser games" which would incorporate facebook games. But Luke is suggesting a change to the rules and a platform to reflect that, so the former rule and the wording of it is largely irrelevant to this discussion.
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By mracoon
@MattyFTM said:
" @Pazy said:
" Wasent it decided long ago "No Flash Games", while Facebook apps/games might not run on flash (which I dont know since I dont like Social Networking sites) I think they are essentially covered by "No Flash Games" in terms of what was originally meant by it. "
The original Jeff statement was "No browser games" which would incorporate facebook games. But Luke is suggesting a change to the rules and a platform to reflect that, so the former rule and the wording of it is largely irrelevant to this discussion. "
Then we shouldn't have a page for Quake Live which is a browser based game.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Ineedaname
@mracoon said:
" @MattyFTM said:
" @Pazy said:
The original Jeff statement was "No browser games" which would incorporate facebook games. But Luke is suggesting a change to the rules and a platform to reflect that, so the former rule and the wording of it is largely irrelevant to this discussion. "
Then we shouldn't have a page for Quake Live which is a browser based game. "
But it involves installation, it's not purely a browser based games, but being strict, we don't allow flash based games do we?
Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
@mracoon: I think Quake Live should just be merged into the Quake 3 page, under a different sub-heading, that would avoid all this messy browser game stuff.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@mracoon said:
" Then we shouldn't have a page for Quake Live which is a browser based game. "
As I say whenever quake live is brought up in one of these browser game discussions, technically, it should be deleted. However, it could be considered a grey area, because you have to download an installer file to install it, even though it runs through the browser. So it's kind of a mix between a download game, and a browser game. We'd have to get staffer confirmation before it was deleted. Personally I feel all the info can be better summed up in the Quake 3 page, and Quake live should be deleted.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pazy
@MattyFTM said:
" @mracoon said:
As I say whenever quake live is brought up in one of these browser game discussions, technically, it should be deleted. However, it could be considered a grey area, because you have to download an installer file to install it, even though it runs through the browser. So it's kind of a mix between a download game, and a browser game. We'd have to get staffer confirmation before it was deleted. Personally I feel all the info can be better summed up in the Quake 3 page, and Quake live should be deleted. "

Perhaps the distinction should be where game is (essentially) store. For example Quake Live and Free Realms (Sonys free Family MMO) both have a seperate installer which requires all of the files to be located on your hard drive but it launches and displays in your browser (definately Quake Live does, I think Free Realms might also support being launched from the folder). Flash games are stored (though temporarely downloaded) on there servers, are launched in a browser and any saving etc. is done back to the server. The last class of "Browser Game" is probably  using a browser as a launcher like Battlefield Heroes does. Battlefield heroes installs to the hard drive and runs as its own program but requires launching from the website.

Perhaps, if the people in charge wish, they could be sub-definated to allow for some games to be in the wiki while other games not?

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By mracoon
@MattyFTM said:
" @mracoon said:
As I say whenever quake live is brought up in one of these browser game discussions, technically, it should be deleted. However, it could be considered a grey area, because you have to download an installer file to install it, even though it runs through the browser. So it's kind of a mix between a download game, and a browser game. We'd have to get staffer confirmation before it was deleted. Personally I feel all the info can be better summed up in the Quake 3 page, and Quake live should be deleted. "
All you actually download for Quake Live is a browser plug-in. I don't think that's enough to warrant it having it's own page because even flash games require you to download Adobe Flash Player before you can play them.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By OmegaPirate

Do we have a page for the pen and paper version of dungeons and dragons? 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#18  Edited By LordAndrew
@OmegaPirate: No... Why would they be?
But pinball games are within Giant Bomb's scope, if you're trying to compare browser-based games to non-video games.
Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Giantsquirrel

No thank you.