Should a page be created for Anakin Skywalker?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By natetodamax

I've noticed that Anakin Skywalker does not have a page on Giant Bomb. Typing the name into the search bar brings up Darth Vader because it is an alias. However, many Star Wars games have Anakin as a character before he transformed into Darth Vader. Such a page could cover his exploits before he became evil. What do you think? Putting Anakin's entire backstory into the Darth Vader page wouldn't make much sense because he wasn't Darth Vader when he was a child, for example.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Bones8677

Technically, he's the same character, so no.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Same guy. So no. 

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Hamz

Alias feature is there for this exact situation.  

The page is there to catalogue Vader/Anakin's appearances and exploits in video games. Feel free to edit the page to represent and catalogue this info.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By natetodamax

Hmm, I remain unconvinced. In Star Wars Episode III, you specifically play as Anakin Skywalker. They don't call him Darth Vader. Sure, they may be the same person, but..... I dunno.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@natetodamax said:
" Hmm, I remain unconvinced. In Star Wars Episode III, you specifically play as Anakin Skywalker. They don't call him Darth Vader. Sure, they may be the same person, but..... I dunno. "
That is just one game. He is the same guy and does not need two pages. 
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By TheHT
@Bones8677 said:
" Technically, he's the same character, so no. "
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" Same guy. So no.  "
George Lucas seems to think otherwise. D:
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By natetodamax
@The_Laughing_Man said:

" @natetodamax said:

" Hmm, I remain unconvinced. In Star Wars Episode III, you specifically play as Anakin Skywalker. They don't call him Darth Vader. Sure, they may be the same person, but..... I dunno. "

That is just one game. He is the same guy and does not need two pages.  "
Star Wars Battlefront II and Star Wars Episode 1 Racer both have Anakin Skywalker as a playable character, and the latter of which is the child form. And if I'm not mistaken, when you do a Jedi battle in Battlefront II the evil team has Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader as two separate characters.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@TheHT said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" Technically, he's the same character, so no. "
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" Same guy. So no.  "
George Lucas seems to think otherwise. D: "
He also thinks we need 3 more star wars movies. 
alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By alexl86

An argument could be made for renaming the page to Anakin Skywalker, but Darth Vader is a much more common name for the character, even if it is technically more akin to a title.

Also, doesn't parts of that game take place after Anakin turns to the dark side(at which point he is Darth Vader)?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew

@Jeff said:

" I really like the discussion here, and thanks for really exploring both sides of the issue.
Keep in mind that there's no reason why the text on the page can't cover both sides of this guy's life, with an "As Vader" and "As Anakin" split, if you so desire.

Ultimately, it comes down to this: the dude is one dude. We don't have separate pages for every version of Link, we don't have pages for every version of Mega Man (like MegaMan.EXE, and so on), and ideally, this will let us have one really good Darth/Anakin page, instead of two shorter pages that reference each other.

Think of this page as the ultimate resource for Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalkier in games. Tell his life story as a bio, referencing the different games he's appeared in over the years to support the article.

Also, for the record, we went with Darth Vader as the main title because he came "first" in the real world sense. The search alias is already in place.
"

Of course, everyone kind of ignored the Mega Man comparison and after 22 months we still have four Mega Man character pages. Nevertheless, it is what he said.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Hamz

Again let me reiterate that Anakin/Vader are the same person. Anakin is the name he went by during the younger years of his life and Vader the latter years. 

There is no logical reason for creating two pages to catalogue information about one character during different phases of his life. 

This is why we ask that people create and fill in sections on a character page to explain and catalogue info about that character's appearances in different games.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By mike
@Hamz:  Sorry to unlock & reply again...but I found the topic that previously discussed this. It was a couple of years ago.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/delete-combine-requests/34/combine-anakin-skywalkerdarth-vader/18960/?page=2

Post by Jeff (654 posts)
I really like the discussion here, and thanks for really exploring both sides of the issue.
Keep in mind that there's no reason why the text on the page can't cover both sides of this guy's life, with an "As Vader" and "As Anakin" split, if you so desire.

Ultimately, it comes down to this: the dude is one dude. We don't have separate pages for every version of Link, we don't have pages for every version of Mega Man (like MegaMan.EXE, and so on), and ideally, this will let us have one really good Darth/Anakin page, instead of two shorter pages that reference each other.

Think of this page as the ultimate resource for Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalkier in games. Tell his life story as a bio, referencing the different games he's appeared in over the years to support the article.

Also, for the record, we went with Darth Vader as the main title because he came "first" in the real world sense. The search alias is already in place.