Star Wars Battlefront II is a team-based third-person shooter developed by Pandemic Studios. The game aims to recreate large-scale battles in the Star Wars universe, featuring several different classes and controllable vehicles. Both Battlefront I and II take most of their gameplay cues from the Battlefield series.
Star Wars Battlefront II has a story mode where the player takes a place within the ranks of the 501st Legion also known as Vader's Fist. The player first fights for the Republic and as the story progresses, the Empire. The story mode is told through the Journal of the 501st and encompasses plot points from Episode II through IV. In addition to the story mode players can also choose any of the maps in the game to play, featuring various modes such as Team Deathmatch, Capture The Flag, and Conquest. Conquest is not available for Space Battles. Star Wars Battlefront II is unique in that allows players to play all of the battles in space, and to choose which side to fight for. Space battles include destroying enemy attack ships, Capital ships, and disabling the larger assault ships.
There is also a Galactic Conquest mode that lets the player choose the side of the Empire, Rebels, Republic, or the Confederacy. In the Galactic Conquest mode the player fights against the appropriate opposing force for their era depending on what side they chose. The goal in Galactic Conquest mode is to capture all of the planets in the galaxy in order to defeat the opposing side. Galactic Conquest can also be played in a split-screen mode.
The PSP version lacks a traditional story mode but does include some challenges and a smaller version of the Conquest mode.
Players can choose from several different classes which are altered slightly from faction to faction. All classes carry a blaster pistol and thermal detonators in addition to their main weapon, with the exception of the engineer.
- The soldier class is skilled at killing other infantry units and carries a blaster rifle.
- The assault class carries a powerful anti-tank weapon which can be used to destroy tanks or large groups as well as groups of infantry.
- The sniper class carries an extremely long range rifle which can kill with a single shot to the head as well as an auto-turret.
- The engineer class can repair/hijack vehicles and turrets with his fusion cutter, this takes the place of the traditional blaster pistol. He also has the ability to despense ammo and health and carries a shotgun for close quarter combat.
In addition to the four basic land classes players also have access to two classes accessible only during space battles. These classes, like the land classes, are altered slightly upon changing factions.
- The pilot class is best served in the command seat of a starfighter as they automatically repair whatever vehicle they. The pilot carries a fusion cutter, blaster pistol and time bombs.
- The marine class is the space variant of the soldier and is adept at boarding enemy ships. The marine carries a blaster rifle, portable rocket launcher and thermal detonators.
Each faction also has two special classes to choose from. It requires 10 points to unlock the first character and 12 points to unlock the second, these points are earned in battle by killing enemies and capturing control points. The special classes are listed below under there respective teams:
- Clone Commander- The Clone Commander carries a very powerful rapid-firing chain-gun, a blaster pistol, a temporary resistance to damage boost, and a recon droid.
- Jet Trooper- The Jet Trooper have an agility advantage seeing as the have a jet pack that allows them to fly long distances in a short period of time. This special trooper carries a EMP launcher, a blaster pistol, and several thermal detonators.
- IG-100 Magnaguard- The Magnaguards carry a Bulldog RLR (missile launcher), radiation launcher, Neuro Poison (when activated all nearby enemies health starts to drop), and a recon droid.
- Droideka- The Droidekas have very powerful repeating blasters and a shield. These units are slow when deployed in walking mode but they have the ability to roll up into a ball and traverse the field very quickly.
- Bothan Spy- These spy units have the ability to become invisible for a short period of time and carry an incinerator rifle, time bombs, and a health regeneration boost for nearby allies.
- Wookiee Warrior- These Wookiees have the more stamina than all other units and carry a bowcaster. grenade launcher, thermal detonators, and a recon droid.
- Imperial Officer- Imperial officers carry a sonic blaster, grenade launcher, a recon droid, and a rage boost which increases the damage dealt by all nearby ally units.
- Dark Trooper- These special troopers have a jet pack, an arc caster which shoots electrical bolts, a commando pistol, and some thermal detonators.
Heroes & Villains
Both campaign and online play give player the opportunity to play as a hero. To get a hero you will have to complete the objective you have set in the Hero Options screen. (E. G. Get 10 or more points in one life) Heroes have a time bar which will slowly drain, if enemies hit you, you lose more time than usual, and if you kill enemies, you get more time.
There is also one mode, Assault, on the level Mos Eisley which allows the user to have a normal battle but instead of having regular infantry troops it is the hero and villains against one another. In this mode there are no time constraints like other battles with heroes and villains instead they have a traditional health bar.
In Star Wars Battlefront 2 allows the player to play any of the maps in Single player online in any variety of game types. The most popular being Conquest and Team Deathmatch. The game supports 24, 32, or 64 players on the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and PC platforms, respectively.
- Death Star
- Jabba's Palace
- Mos Eisley
- Polis Massa
- Space Felucia
- Space Hoth
- Space Kashyyyk
- Space Mygeeto
- Space Tatooine
- Space Yavin
- Tantive IV
- Yavin 4
Xbox Live DLC
- Rhen Var: Citadel
- Rhen Var: Harbor
- Yavin 4: Arena
- OS: Windows 2000, XP or Vista
- Processor: Intel Pentium 4 1.5 GHz or Athlon XP 1500+
- Memory: 256 MB
- Graphics: 64MB 3d Graphics card with Vertex Shader and Pixel Shader (VS/PS) Capability
- DirectX®: 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 4.3 GB
- Sound: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible Sound Card
- Multiplayer: GameSpy account required