Is anyone else nervous about how Fallout 4 will turn out?

• 120 results
Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

I'm nervous about whatever open world game Bethesda make. Yes they are brilliant at what they do but technically their games are a mess.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

These games are so formulaic at this point I think they'd struggle to mess it up. Even if the new additions they've made fall flat the tried and tested aspects of the game should still be solid.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I am very nervous about writing , characters and main quest and side quest from writing perspective. I want characters that are interesting and relatable , there should be arcs for them. But knowing previous Bethesda games boy I am worried. And for all this I fault Witcher 3, it just set the bar for this so high.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it'll be fine, but people that are acting like this will be the best thing to come out so far this generation might be disappointed. I haven't seen people this excited for a game all year. That usually leads to people being disappointed when they realize it's just another janky/ugly Bethesda game (which is fine, but people forget what these things are like out of the box). People will say that the game was overhyped, when really they overhyped it for themselves. Hype is a personal thing. It'll be New Vegas with a few more features and more color. That's all I expect, and I'm looking forward to it. I think the talking main character is whack. I can't get over that, but I'll probably still enjoy most of the game. Bethesda games are about exploration. I expect the combat to still be terrible like every thing else they've ever put out. And that's okay. I just hope exploration and discovery didn't take a back seat while they tried to work on other things.

And why are there still loading screens when going between indoors and outdoors? I need to free up some space on the SSD for this to minimize that annoying bit. I speak negatively about some aspects of the game because I like Fallout so much. I think FO4 deserved a new engine.

dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Fallout 3 is one of my top 5 favorite games of all time, sooooo... Nope... This game looks like it's exactly what I want. More Fallout 3.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@xseanzx said:

@rafaelfc: So basically you are saying that your opinion of the game being great or not is going to be formed from other people?

I wait for people I trust (like the bombcrew) to talk about the game, and get a general sense whether is something I should play immediately or not.

So, yes in a sense. Such is life when you can't afford every 60$ game at launch.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Hype is a personal thing. It'll be New Vegas with a few more features and more color. That's all I expect, and I'm looking forward to it."

Yes. Look at it almost like a content expansion, released several years later, based on the same engine with some extra bells and whistles (extra lighting/PBR).

I think this and eventual DLC will be the last game we'll see Bethesda do with this specific game engine. I think the next Elder Scrolls game, 4-5 years from now, will be in an entirely different engine.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@yates: they'll mess it up by leaving it formulaic instead of innovating the formula. I mean maybe they won't but who knows - Bethesda is pretty formulaic.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Bethesda just makes Fallout 3 in Boston with the customization stuff in the trailers, i'm into it for a hundred hours.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Fallout 4 might be a letdown for those who didn't play Fallout 3 or those who expect too much. The Fallout and Elder Scrolls games all had their quirks (particularly on console) in the previous generation and that may be off putting to those who didn't experience them.

Let's face it those games never have the best graphics, the combat systems are kind of weird and a lot of strange bugs exist within them so if you go in expecting a perfect game you may be disappointed. Fallout 3 was close to my favourite game of the last generation despite it's quirks so I have no fears regarding how much I will love Fallout 4.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything I've seen from the game has pretty much let me know it's a game I'll enjoy, even with the flaws it'll have big or small. There are still things I'm concerned about, for instance I'm still not 100 percent on board with the voiced protagonist thing, Bethesda writing in a moment to moment sense is usually not that great. They set up some pretty great lore for their Elder Scrolls games but when it comes to interacting with people in that world and some quest chains it's just not up to snuff and since I'm generally all about that Fallout lore, it's really hard for Bethesda to match up with the high quality writing we saw in the old Fallout games and in New Vegas.

I'm expecting the main story will probably not be very great but like Fallout 3 it will have some interesting side quests despite itself. As long as I don't see anything on the level of the Broken Steel retcon story wise (the way the game gives you a backhanded slap to the face if you decide to have Charon/Fawkes go into the room and activate project purity still rubs me the wrong way after all these years) I think I'll just have to make peace with that and enjoy everything else. I like the way the game looks, shooting looks to be really improved and the overhauled weapon and armor customization and crafting looks up my alley. The way perks do now is pretty interesting from the onset (but will most likely become overpowered and samey as you approach the late game) and I'm just sorta down for exploring a nice looking wasteland. For me, the Elder Scrolls games are very hit or miss, Oblivion and Skyrim never fully clicked with me despite giving them multiple tries so I'm glad Bethesda has something like Fallout so I can enjoy their brand of open world RPG with a setting I can actually get into.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No, because I'm pretty confident that I'll enjoy it despite not sharing the collective hype around it.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By BradBrains

people are really freaking out because of the slight change the way the dialogue trees are now huh?

(not in this thread but ive read elsewhere)

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradbrains: I love that change, now I don't have to read 6 sentences and then choose one of them. Just choose from "No", "Yes", "Don't know" or "Fuck off" and get going again!

RagingFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradbrains: Nothing about a video game is really worth "freaking out about", but this was one of the things as a fan of the old games I was concerned about. The fact that people were able to pull from the limited E3 footage a "pattern" to what disposition is mapped to each button (B for asshole response, Y for 'tell me more about this thing') really made it feel like "RP'ing for Dummies". There's also concerns for modding. What are they going to do with this voiced main character? Have him suddenly go silent? Recycle lines? Suddenly every quest-based mod takes a dip in quality.

I agree with other people that this marketing campaign shows confidence in their product. Interestingly enough, right after I posted this it was brought up on the podcast. I guess I just expected to know a little bit more about what we're going to be doing in this game, as iirc I had a pretty good idea of what I was going to be in for with Skyrim.

Considering the price of this game up here in Canada, I can't actually afford to buy this game new, so i'm going to have plenty of time to think about getting this game after it comes out. I wish it the best of luck regardless, a landmark Bethesda title would be a great way to cap off an already great year.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#66  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

There's been a lot of pessimism building up in some pockets of the internet over the past few weeks, but I'm still fully on board with Fallout 4. I haven't seen anything that looks like it'll be so different from Bethesda's previous Fallout and Elder Scrolls games that it's making me considering bailing out.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By mordukai

@reasonableman: From the fallout bible that you get off of GoG, it looks like a lot of ideas and areas that were supposed to be in Van Buren ended up in New Vegas. No surprise there since Obsidian was founded by people that worked on Van Buren.

Anyways. Bethesda games remind me of a wedding cake. They are always big, impressive, full of frosting, and meticulously build, but ultimately taste like plastic and dry. I fully agree with on your comment that they haven't done anything impressive since Morrowind but I can how people can lose themselves in their games. Maybe I would have liked their games more if they had better writing.

I probably won't buy or play Fallout 4 since I never really stuck with Fallout 3 as I found the game to be utterly boring but a lot of people liked it and that's fine. Fallout 4 won't be any different then any other game Bethesda made.

Dooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Dooley

I am sure that I will find it very enjoyable but from the videos posted it looks like shit and also appears that they did not innovate on anything other that the crafting system.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

I actually like, and prefer, the minimal marketing for Fallout 4. They had a long E3 presentation (the longest I've seen for a single game in a while) that showed off the new features for the game, to go along with the basics of the game and how it works. They also showed combat footage at QuakeCon and GamesCom, while not public, plenty of websites wrote extensively about it.

We already know what the main aspects of a Fallout game, and they made sure to show off enough of the new and re-tweaked features. I trust Bethesda enough to not need anymore than that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

It wouldn't be a Bethesda game if it didn't come out of the gate filled with game crashing bugs. Gameplay and storywise I am being cautiously optimistic that it is at least on par with New Vegas.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

No. Not even a little bit.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

Not one bit .

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually like, and prefer, the minimal marketing for Fallout 4. They had a long E3 presentation (the longest I've seen for a single game in a while) that showed off the new features for the game, to go along with the basics of the game and how it works. They also showed combat footage at QuakeCon and GamesCom, while not public, plenty of websites wrote extensively about it.

We already know what the main aspects of a Fallout game, and they made sure to show off enough of the new and re-tweaked features. I trust Bethesda enough to not need anymore than that.

Ditto. I like their approach of announcing it six months before release and then minor advertising. There is advertising, it's on tvs, it's on buses, it's on trains. It's just not the usual that we get where we know 90% of the game before we go into it. And that's exciting.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#74 FinalDasa  Moderator

You should be skeptical of all game releases and wait for reviews to come out before buying them. That's why pre-orders don't make sense when even larger, AAA, games can release broken and unplayable.

I'm only concerned with the usual Bethesda bugs. They've been known to ship games with crashes and oddness embedded before. I really hope not to discover a save erasing bug like they did in MGS V for instance.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not nervous about it. It'll be a poorly written but very well realized virtual world with plenty of interlocking systems of communication and violence. Occasionally the locks between them will be busted as is the tendency in all games that use this engine. The dialogue scenes will be awkwardly presented, but the whole will totally satisfy all fans of former Bethesda-games like Skyrim or Fallout 3. I won't buy it as I didn't particularly enjoy either of those. When Obsidian makes Fallout 4: New Orlando though, count me in.

GalmActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By GalmActual

It looks like a (very similar) streamlined version of Fallout 3. People think that the word "streamlined" in dirty, but sometimes it makes the game better. Fallout 3 and Skyrim were janky as fuck, so any attempt to clean things up is fine by me. The leaked footage still had some of that stiffness, but I think it looked way better overall.

That dialogue system though... woof. That was rough. I'm worried we won't get the crazy speech checks and insane replies, because that would mean more VO work, and more time and money. If they can manage to pull of the variety of responses available to the player, with the voice acting, goddamn this could be a masterpiece. However, chances are we won't get the same quality of dialogue choices, and people will bitch about it, rightly so.

weazzlflink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dfsvegas said:

Fallout 3 is one of my top 5 favorite games of all time, sooooo... Nope... This game looks like it's exactly what I want. More Fallout 3.

same here

i know i´ll have 100´s of hours of fun with it

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By The_Ruiner

Honestly their track record has been as close to perfect as a game developer can get. I'm not too worried.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#79  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Some people worry about the lack of marketing but I love it. Speaks to the fact that they are confident about the game. It is similar to GTA or Rockstar in general in how they market their games. They will hit TV with ads when the game is out and for people who are online reading about games a lot there won't be that preview coverage we are used to.

That preview coverage has been detrimental to games. Having situations like Bioshock Infinite where they are faking a game for E3 before the game is anywhere close to finished is a waste of developers time and I think ultimately many fans who often seem to feel burned by marketing showing things past what end up in the final game.

I am very confident in Bethesda though. I have really enjoyed their recent games. It's cool going into a game knowing a little less about it than usual.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Honestly, it will turn out like every other Scrolls/Fallout game: broken game with fun parts that gets more passes than any other game or franchise does. I honestly don't even think the games look good, UI or graphics, as they don't really look nice until modders go into and redo everything.

That being said I still (moderately) enjoy Fallout and Scrolls games, but man...seeing people freak out over them but then whine about Witcher 3's small problems makes my head spin.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dfsvegas said:

Truthfully if they had just put out more New Vegas or Fallout 3 DLC that raised the level cap I'd be a pretty happy guy.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I'm nervous about is how little damn time I'm going to have to play it this month. : (

I love all the stuff I've heard about the game. Some of those ideas probably would have been requests of mine while playing Fallout 3, had I been asked. Base building, weapon customization, streamlining the dialogue. Can't wait!

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I start a new job the day after Fallout 4 drops. I have no idea how I will work with 0 sleep

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By SomeJerk

I have already seen it turn out dissatisfactory in the way I want my conversation choices handled and that Alpha Protocol is still THE #1 bench-goddamn-mark in the RPG part of 3D WPRG.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At worst, it will be a prettier Fallout 3. At best, they've learned a bunch since Skyrim and have fixed at least some of the issues their games typically suffer from. I feel pretty confident that we'll see something that falls somewhere in the middle of that spectrum. They seem super confident in the game, more-so than any other I can remember in a long time, so that alone gives me a good feeling about it.

Will it be groundbreaking? No, I doubt it, but it will be a solid Bethesda-era Fallout game. At this point you probably know if that's your thing or not.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By brandondryrock

I'm not nervous, but I'm also not expecting it to be the greatest video game of all time, like a lot of the internet hyped it up to be before the leaks hit. If you keep your expectations in check, you find that you enjoy more games. I feel like a lot of people build games up in their head leading to release to be something that is incredibly unreasonable, and when the game comes out and doesn't live up to those made up expectations, they get super disappointed. I'm not saying to just drop all hope for video games, but keep expectations in check some times.

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Busto1299

Bethesda has proven time and time again that they can make kick-ass video games. I have the utmost faith in them to deliver a great experience in Fallout 4

clockwork5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure we all know exactly what we are getting with Fallout 4. If this is anything other than a nicer looking Fallout 3 it would be shocking.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#90  Edited By mike

I would say I am cautiously optimistic about Fallout 4, but I'm waiting. I'm just going to wait and see what kind of major bugs there are in the initial release period, and also how mod support is handled on PC. Especially since Bethesda is using their own site for mods instead of Steam Workshop, I'm not exactly confident in their ability to pull it off. Mods are an integral part of the Fallout experience for me, so hopefully that part of the game is done well.

Waiting a few weeks isn't going to kill me. It's not like I don't have other games to play.

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#91  Edited By arbayer2

Nope.

Speculations and potential spoilers ahead.

I accepted the fact that Bethesda Softworks' and 3D Fallout games' stories were all over the place a long time ago. I can appreciate both the 2D CRPG and 3D FPS/RPG games for what they are but I Here's my two cents on what little I've seen via the leaks and promotional material.

The world looks like a larger and similarly dense analog of the past two Fallouts' demonstrating new technologies, factions and architecture than the previous games. I've never been to Boston myself so I can't speak to cultural authenticity but the virtual equivalent at least looks like it has its own voice distinct from that of D.C, New Vegas and even the first Fallout games. It sounds huge as well, I just hope there's enough density in locations since I haven't seen many locations and the ones I've seen are without context.

The assets themselves have more detail because Bethesda's approach to AAA development on their main franchise tends to involve iterative improvements on that. It may not look like that's happening to some but it's something that's hard to show without high-quality screenshots or gameplay footage. The graphical complexity, UI/UX, animations and overall visuals aren't bleeding-edge but it's way closer to same considering the base of the game engine dates back to the 90s. More importantly, they're authentic to the aesthetics of the 3D franchise. The voice acting and simplified Mass Effect-esque speech system will be divisive but I enjoyed the Mass Effect approach to things. I don't think it's necessarily as appropriate to Fallout as seeing the entire line of dialogue presented but that could be fear of change. I don't dislike the choice of a voiced protagonist but I do look forward to the inevitable dialogue throwback mod for roleplaying.

I haven't seen much of the story as I don't have a review copy, so what I have seen (part of the opening prologue, a couple of other missions later, all part of leaks) seems consistent with Bethesda's writing and direction in the past, the major difference being that a lot more dialogue is being run through in real-time (including contextual voiceover narration) instead of the FO3/NV method of pausing the game and interacting only with the target of the conversation (something Skyrim also enjoyed to a less flexible extent).

Haven't seen too many awful bugs/immersion-breaking quirks (besides Dogmeat giving no fucks about gravity or being on fire) but I suspect there'll be plenty. My observation is that the Creation Engine's generally more stable than Gamebryo for me, so I presume there's probably less of the jank that plagued FO3/NV but not none. Again, mod support probably might help with stability. (A rare thing to get official developer/publisher support on in AAA, I might add.)

The music selection I'm curious about. It seems that alongside the usual classic licensed music that Bethsoft elected to have lyrical music written for the game on top of its background score. I trust in Lynda Carter's good name even though I'm not really sold on the song I've heard on SoundCloud. We'll see how well it fits the atmosphere the 3D games have usually had. I also kinda hope that Erik Todd Dellums (rumored at one point to be involved in FO4) has at least a cameo but I haven't heard much of anything about that of late.

The Pip-Boy's got a smaller screen size, which may be problematic UX-wise but its new features (collectable holotapes, RGB customizable UI elements, redesign for right-handed manipulation and animation and overall higher-resolution texture work) seem like a pretty great idea thus far. I don't know if it's like the new VATS in the sense that the game doesn't pause when the Pip-Boy's activated but if that's the case it should be interesting to see the ramifications of something similar to what was used in MGS V: The Phantom Pain.

The combat mechanics look vastly better than they did for Fallout 3. I understand the die-roll hit chance thing that Bethsoft was going for initially, but nowadays, I feel like there was a confict of interest between wanting to preserve the random chance of RPG combat and wanting first-person world immersion through dynamic combat. The combat here seems augmented by perks but mostly dependent on FPS ray-tracing (or whatever's used for determining successful shots these days) as opposed to FO3/NV where it was a combination of that offset by random unavoidable failure. I'm super excited for this, although it makes it seem like the game is more of an FPS with RPG elements now and that it has less in common with its predecessors.

Customization I know little about, but I'm one of those who will find themselves hopelessly lost in that meta-game between story missions, trying to make an office building and business hegemony spanning the wasteland at the first available opportunity.

TL;DR: I'm not really nervous, there's more than enough in the world and general vibe of the game to convince me it's a Fallout title while also changing up a lot of things in interesting (and hopefully beneficial) ways.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently the it takes roughly 10 minutes to run across the whole world. Being in the "The graphics don't have to be awesome because the world is going to be HUGE!" camp, this has severely bummed me out.

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something I'm thinking about: since 2011, the audience for Bethesda games, and games in general, has seen some shit. Some busted-ass games have come out, and some really major releases have been incredibly disappointing; we've seen the rise of Early Access and Kickstarter, and combined with personal growth and simply getting older, I think it's made us all a little more cautious than we used to be. Not a bad thing, in most cases, but with Fallout 4, it's showed up as a sort of nitpicky attitude, a determination to see any minor flaw as a sign that Bethesda is hiding a complete sham of a sequel behind the curtain. There's no internal precedent for that; Arena was simple, Daggerfall was a technical achievement, Morrowind was focused more on writing and graphics, Oblivion and Fallout 3 tried very hard to bring a more mainstream, cinematic quality, and Skyrim refined that structure and delivered basically everything it promised. Most likely, Fallout 4 will follow that pattern and refine Fallout 3: you'll get similar gameplay systems, improved but imperfect combat, better art direction and dungeon design, more content overall, and thanks to the generation hop, a few extra bells and whistles like settlement building and layered armor.

Basically, every other Bethesda game is looked at with the benefit of hindsight, and we're preemptively leveraging it against unreleased software. Fallout 4 will be awesome when we get to play it, and five years later it will look like garbage, like every other Bethesda-style game that isn't the one you have the most nostalgia for.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently the it takes roughly 10 minutes to run across the whole world. Being in the "The graphics don't have to be awesome because the world is going to be HUGE!" camp, this has severely bummed me out.

Apparently, or is it a fact?

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@funkydupe: There's a kotaku article that has a video link of it. It's not 100% sure if the person took the longest or the shortest path, but they did go from one end to the other in 10 minutes. So take that as you will.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if it doesn't look great, mods came out for previous fallout/elder scrolls games that up the graphics, I'm sure stuff will come out to make this look much more modern. That stuff doesn't really matter to me. Bring on the shooty, bashy, walky game!

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By AlKusanagi

@funkydupe: There's a video of a streamer doing it in 10 minutes and 40 seconds.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

I'm not nervous.

If it's great, I'll play it and have a good time for many hours

If it sucks, I'll save 60 bucks.

Either way, I win.

what if it provides a really unique and compelling experience but has some quite frustrating bugs and design choices?

(gray area ftmfw)

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ragingflower:

I think its going to be better than 3, but not as good as 2/NV. Going by recent (as in last gen) Bethesda releases, the world building will be interesting, the main story so so, there will be one or two decent lengthy side quests that people latch onto as great but it wont be terribly cohesive.

I am worried that the game looks like its losing a certain feel. The screenshots look a little too "past the wasteland period" for me.

I'm also interested to see how the new additions come out, out like the voice acted protag, settlement building, possible streamlining of RPG elements. I'm not willing to say these changes are for the worse until I try them out.