What is the best numbered final fantasy game?

• 89 results
TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Poll What is the best numbered final fantasy game? (218 votes)

Final Fantasy I (or any of it's remakes) 0%
Final Fantasy II (or any of it's remakes) 0%
Final Fantasy III (or any of it's remakes) 1%
Final Fantasy IV (or any of it's remakes) 3%
Final Fantasy V (or any of it's remakes) 3%
Final Fantasy VI (or any of it's remakes) 24%
Final Fantasy VII 12%
Final Fantasy VIII 6%
Final Fantasy VIIII 14%
Final Fantasy X (or X-2) 14%
Final Fantasy XI 2%
Final Fantasy XII 5%
Final Fantasy XIII (or XIII-2) 1%
Final Fantasy XIV (or it's newest expansion) 0%
"I would like to see the results without casting a vote on any game" (*note that you only get one vote) 7%
*this space was intentionally left blank 2%
*this space was intentionally left blank 4%

So first of I would like to say I don't want to start a flame war, so please keep it civil.

I wanted to know what the GB community thought the bestfinal fantasy game is. Now I did purposefully choose the word best over favorite, because I want to know what the consensus is on the best ff game.

So when I say best I do mean the one that currently holds up the best. not the most impactful when it released; not necessarily your favorite; but the one that best blends game mechanics, story, and to some extent graphics into a complete package that still holds up.So if you wanted a more firm criteria for "best" I guess that is one that I would give.

Like I said I would like it if this didn't degenerate into a flame war so please remember that we're all real cool cats here of GB.

• 
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#51  Edited By Justin258

Why can't I vote for IX?

That tripped me up for a second as well. He's got IX marked as VIIII (V with four I's).

Anyway,

@animasta said:

@shinboy630 said:

I am really happy that X (a good video game) currently has more votes than XII (a bad video game). That being said, I voted VI. That game is all around fantastic.

hahaha, you wanna go?

XII is a way better video game that's more open, more interesting, less dumb, and has upwards of 3 good main characters. The only character in X that's not terrible is Auron

I voted XII as well, mostly because I've gotten the furthest in it.

I probably talk more in Final Fantasy threads than I should because I've tried a lot of them, but never got past the ten hour mark of any of them. I found I really grindy and boring, VI and VII really interesting but kind of old and simplistic at this point (though, again, didn't get very far), IX genuinely funny and charming, X had a good plot setup but delivered it through questionable dialogue and the absolute worst costume design in Final Fantasy so far (a great and terrible achievement), XII very interesting and well thought-out in most terms except for the main character, XIII had great combat but its potentially good story was buried beneath a shit-ton of baggage, and XIV ARR was a very pretty but very slow MMO (I played the beta).

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#52  Edited By Video_Game_King

@hailinel said:

That evil ginger in the second Care Bears movie had better characterization than him.

.............You're expecting people to understand that reference? Weird.

(I would've cast my vote for VI if doing so wouldn't support a democratic ideal.)

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By iceman228433

I go with 6 for sure that game was so mind blowing at the time and still holds up very well.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Tactics has a much better story than any out of the numbered series and there's a fairly decent argument to be made that Tactics is the best Final Fantasy.

Couldn't agree more. Which is why it's a shame they've never done a real successor. Best combat and best story.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we get this thread once every couple of months or so, and the objectively correct answer is always VI.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

My favorite is ten, but I think objectively, nine is the best game in the series.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

When asked the question "What Final Fantasy game do you think has the best and most effective blend of gameplay, story, and graphics, that are smart, fun, and still hold up in a modern way" my answer will always be Final Fantasy X. The graphics are still among the better of the Ps2 games, despite it coming out very early in its life, the story and universe are deep, well thought out, and deceptively macabre, and the battle system, by emphasizing speed, team work, and elemental weaknesses more than it's predecessors, is among the most in-depth and strategic systems the series has to offer, and in my opinion tops them all.

That being said, I can see why most of the games in the series have their defenders and detractors, and there's a compelling argument to be made by the majority of the games in the series, even if some of them are used for the wrong reasons. There's really only a few of the games in the series that I look at and simply cannot possibly see any rational argument in favor of being the best, those being II, VIII, and XIII.

Really, the only infuriating part of these discussions comes from, not others disliking the games of the series I like or dislike, but pure closed-mindedness ala "Oh I just hate FF7, you know, all those dumb fanboys" or "I can't really enjoy any of the non-2D FF games, when it became 3D it just lost so much creativity you know." (Imagine these sentences being spoken with a really annoying, nasally accent.)

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#59  Edited By shinboy630

@animasta said:

@shinboy630 said:

I am really happy that X (a good video game) currently has more votes than XII (a bad video game). That being said, I voted VI. That game is all around fantastic.

hahaha, you wanna go?

XII is a way better video game that's more open, more interesting, less dumb, and has upwards of 3 good main characters. The only character in X that's not terrible is Auron

yo get your shitty MMO combat out of my not-MMO

*throws down*

seriously though, I liked most of the characters in FFX (outside of wakka, fuck that guy), while the only character I really liked in FFXII was Balthier

also, SPHERE GRID 4 LYFE

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@animasta said:

@shinboy630 said:

hahaha, you wanna go?

*throws down*

seriously though, I liked most of the characters in FFX (outside of wakka, fuck that guy), while the only character I really liked in FFXII was Balthier

also, SPHERE GRID 4 LYFE

yuna was a follower of the highest order (even after she 'evolved' into not being one), tidus was colossally stupid, kimarhi was barely part of the story, Lulu was just a dour voice of reason and Riku was like 12 years old.

Ashe and Basch were great don't even go there!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#61 MattyFTM  Moderator

Which game is objectively the best? Probably VI, although I haven't played enough of all of them to be a great judge of that. But IX is by far my favourite.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@animasta said:

@shinboy630 said:

hahaha, you wanna go?

I mean I know he gets a lot of shit for talking like an idiot, but I think Wakka is pretty interesting. A character who was raised by a corrupt religion, suffering the loss of his brother for his failure to abide by it, which only reinforces his false faith. Then this character is forced to reconcile his hateful beliefs with what he's actually experiencing, like being forced to watch a race of people have their home exterminated by an organization he has always supported. Or trying to come to terms with his racism when he's forced to travel with someone he's been taught to hate, who actually isn't such a bad person. Then there's Rikku, whose grown up outside of this religion, and has watched countless members of its devoted work their whole lives for the privilege of dying for their faith. Then she has to travel with all of these people who are working towards that goal, even though it goes against everything she's ever been taught, because she cares about her cousin and she wants to be there for her. Most of the characters in that story have some compelling dilemma like that which ties heavily into the story being told.

Comparatively 12 has a terrible cast. I don't even understand why half of them are there. Balthier and Ashe are the only ones with any personality, and even what little personality Ashe has is pretty bad. Considering she's the person with the most invested in the story I think it's kinda sad that the most we can say about her personality wise is that she's a bit of a stoic bitch. Also I don't know what you'd call "more interesting" plot wise, but I certainly wouldn't say that a resistance rebelling an evil empire is the most original or fascinating plot. I'd take dumbness over blandness any day. It is more open though, however I'd argue the combat in FFX is a lot more rewarding.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#63  Edited By MormonWarrior

I say VIII because it was the one that hooked me as a ten-year-old and the first game I encountered in the series, so there's heavy nostalgia there. VII I think is hot garbage, but VI, VIII, IX, and to some degree X are really good.

I'd actually probably most like to revisit IX since the world, characters, and style are really neat. The story (or complete lack of a central plotline) disappointed me back in the day but now I can appreciate the smaller character tales.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Final Fantasy II is the best game in the series.

Ha ha!

It was a joke.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i had a really good time with FF8

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it's gotta be VII.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I never really realized there was such a strong case to be made for X.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd said:

IX. Or VIIII. (the former is the correct uh, spelling)

it is isn't it, even VIV would be less wrong than VIIII.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69  Edited By Nictel

Final Fantasy XIII (or XIII-2) (Your vote)1%

I am the 1%.

Disclaimer, I have only really played XIII and as such probably shouldn't have participated on this poll. Still apart from the 20 hour tutorial I feel the battle system is good as is the portrayal of the story.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I selected 9 because you used the wrong Roman numeral. 9 is IX.

I meant to select FF8.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Video_Game_King

@animasta said:

@shinboy630 said:

@animasta said:

@shinboy630 said:

hahaha, you wanna go?

*throws down*

also, SPHERE GRID 4 LYFE

yuna was a follower of the highest order (even after she 'evolved' into not being one), tidus was colossally stupid, kimarhi was barely part of the story, Lulu was just a dour voice of reason and Riku was like 12 years old.

You still haven't addressed how FF12's most notable feature is that you don't actually play it.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By mwng

Nine, or IIIIIIIII in numerals.

Though 8 had the best ost.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#73  Edited By Animasta

@animasta said:

@shinboy630 said:

@animasta said:

@shinboy630 said:

hahaha, you wanna go?

*throws down*

also, SPHERE GRID 4 LYFE

You still haven't addressed how FF12's most notable feature is that you don't actually play it.

that's my favorite part!

It's the chillest JRPG ever made.

Spidu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My theory is that Final Fantasy works the same way as Mario Kart, the first one you play will always be your favorite, in my case it's 9.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By mosespippy

I always hated selecting the same thing from a menu every time I get in a fight with trash mobs in RPGs. Being able to automate the straight forward part of the strategy made it feel efficient.

It's a versatile system too. There is a boss whose base attack can 1 hit kill a level 99 character and has 10 million HP. I set up my automation properly and was able to kill him in 5 minutes without selecting anything. It took maybe 3 or 4 party wipes to figure out the right set up but designing a battle plan like that is very rewarding.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Video_Game_King

@video_game_king said:

I always hated selecting the same thing from a menu every time I get in a fight with trash mobs in RPGs. Being able to automate the straight forward part of the strategy made it feel efficient.

I love how just about every defense of this game's combat system begins by admitting just how unfun it is to play.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy said:

@video_game_king said:

I love how just about every defense of this game's combat system begins by admitting just how unfun it is to play.

It makes the unfun part of the previous games (grinding) more efficient.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like work.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#79  Edited By Seppli

VI obviously.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know alot of people like final fantasy VII but the second half of the game is kinda shitty. I voted for nine myself.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy said:

Like work.

to be fair people seem to hate the games that remove levels and grinding in favor of other systems ie (ffVIII)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YEAH 6 WAY TO GO YOU GUYS HANDSHAKES ALL AROUND I'VE NEVER BEEN PROUDER

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I picked X(X-2) because of the combat systems in both.
Also Auron.

If I based it on story that held up well then, I don't know, I would probably have to go with Final Fantasy XII.
But that's cheating because, well, it's just Star Wars... again.

I could write that story as well and just change the setting and characters.
Watch my master talent:

"Instead of a whiney character named Luke we shall call him.. Vaan"
See!
"Han Solo and Chewie.. Smugglers... Pirates are smugglers. Sky Pirates... Balthier and Fran!"

And so on.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@mosespippy said:

Like work.

Or he's just trying to get at the part where FFXII's gameplay comes in the managing skills and stats of a party bit (y'know, the numbers part of the RPG) instead of picking a certain skill for the umpteen billionth time?

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy VII.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

both of the spaces that where intentionally left blank have more votes than ff1 and ff2.

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By circlenine

I really like the open world structure and combat system of FF12 but I think that that license grid system was kind of boring and not very fun.

FF8 on the other hand I think is tons of fun because of the dumb stuff you can do with the junction system.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I think six gets a lot more credit then it rightly deserves. Coming from the perspective of someone who experienced/played through IV, V, VI, VII and IX only a few years back I think the only one it really outshines is V, post great disaster it just gets kind of dull. I also don't really understand the affection for what feels to me like a very basic mustache twirler.

But enough of me hating the things you like. My personal favorite is probably IV or IX. IX for the fascinating story/world and IV for the combat and its weird charm (e.g. the spoony bard scene).

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#89  Edited By pr1mus

VII.

I will also accept VI, XII and IV.

I will fight to the death any other answer.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VI, IV, or IX are the only correct answers.