• 56 results
PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@branthog said:

There's also no "first/last" buttons in threads to take you to the start or end. Also (on Chrome, at least), CTRL+CLICK on a page number in a thread just opens that page in the current view-port, instead of opening it in a new window or tab, as expected.

Indeed no first/last buttons exactly, but a thread with a lot of pages does always show the number of the first and last page. Pages not opening in a new tab after ctrl/cmd clicking is a problem, though.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm on a 16:9 display and the forums are too wide, with the index to the right hand side being too wide for what it contains (a lot of blank space there) and the actual forum scrunched up to the left. It's annoying to have to turn my head to read the most important part of the page.

On displays with this form factor, the forum posts should stay more centered, even if it means to have blank space to the left. The new design has a bit of horror vacui, it's a bit too infatuated with its new tech to dynamically re-scale. Sometimes it's fine to leave blank space, guys, even if you could not have it.

Still pretty cool overall, but yeah, some fine tuning should happen over the course of next year for sure.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@branthog said:

There's also no "first/last" buttons in threads to take you to the start or end. Also (on Chrome, at least), CTRL+CLICK on a page number in a thread just opens that page in the current view-port, instead of opening it in a new window or tab, as expected.

Indeed no first/last buttons exactly, but a thread with a lot of pages does always show the number of the first and last page. Pages not opening in a new tab after ctrl/cmd clicking is a problem, though.

Cool, I hadn't realized that it included the first and last pages of every thread, no matter what (just not identified as such). I hadn't looked at an enormous thread yet that would have made that obvious to me, so I was totally unaware.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm on a 16:9 display and the forums are too wide, with the index to the right hand side being too wide for what it contains (a lot of blank space there) and the actual forum scrunched up to the left. It's annoying to have to turn my head to read the most important part of the page.

On displays with this form factor, the forum posts should stay more centered, even if it means to have blank space to the left. The new design has a bit of horror vacui, it's a bit too infatuated with its new tech to dynamically re-scale. Sometimes it's fine to leave blank space, guys, even if you could not have it.

Still pretty cool overall, but yeah, some fine tuning should happen over the course of next year for sure.

Knowing the resolution if your browser window would be more useful than your aspect ratio, but if you're displaying the site in full-screen mode on anything of a reasonable size, it's going to look funky as it clearly doesn't seem to have much of a liquid/flowing design style. However, taking up as much of the screen as possible is the right thing to do (sites that are only 600 pixels wide when you're displaying them in an 1,800 pixel wide window are fucking aggravating at the space they waste), but the blocks on the right bar certainly do have a limited amount of necessary space that they should ever take up, but it is probably set to use a percentage of the width, which sort of breaks it after an extreme amount.

I don't design an interface for full screen or extreme resolutions and I doubt most people do. At 2560x1600, I never need to have my browser take up more than 100% vertical and 50% horizontal.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The posts section aligning to the left is driving me insane. The default font type on the posts and on the Wiki is also uncontrollably annoying. Apart from that, I love every thing else.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@branthog said:

Knowing the resolution if your browser window would be more useful than your aspect ratio, but if you're displaying the site in full-screen mode on anything of a reasonable size, it's going to look funky as it clearly doesn't seem to have much of a liquid/flowing design style. However, taking up as much of the screen as possible is the right thing to do (sites that are only 600 pixels wide when you're displaying them in an 1,800 pixel wide window are fucking aggravating at the space they waste), but the blocks on the right bar certainly do have a limited amount of necessary space that they should ever take up, but it is probably set to use a percentage of the width, which sort of breaks it after an extreme amount.

I don't design an interface for full screen or extreme resolutions and I doubt most people do. At 2560x1600, I never need to have my browser take up more than 100% vertical and 50% horizontal.

I'm on straight-up 1080p on the affected monitor, although I have a secondary one that is 4:3 and is typically running video, music, a chat or other side stuff. From here on up resolution won't matter, because text size on the screen becomes more of a concern than sharpness (especially when running text clarity apps, which I am doing).

The real problem is that I run my videos on a window with "embiggen" on. That means I need more than 50% width. But even if I didn't for it, I would for Netflix if I want it on another tab and so on. The last time I kept my browser window on anything other than full maximize I was running Linux.

So yeah, going wider than a set amount of pixels is fine, but this design is meant for tablets. That's where it's the most readable. If you're expecting to match that on a PC and not look hideous, you need some air to the sides on 16:9 and 16:10 monitors, at least on pages that are mainly made up of text. Otherwise I'm either reading extremely long lines, which is uncomfortable, or having to resize my window every time I go back to a video page.