A generation that doesn't know how to hold a controller...

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Edited By kraznor

Okay, I work in video game retail and we constantly have demo machines running some of the more recent games. Nintendo has recently provided us with some titles that play very traditionally, namely Punch Out! and New Super Mario Bros Wii. Several times a day I end up having to explain to kids that no, you don't aim the remote at the screen, you hold it sideways, you know, like an NES controller. This often results in bewildered stares and kids awkwardly shifting their hands around the thing, sometimes holding it in completely nonsensical positions as they struggle to comprehend this concept. Thats what struck me, they literally have no frame of reference for what I'm talking about. The Wii remote is what games are to them, they have no knowledge of what came before and cannot understand this old-fashioned way of playing games.

Literally feel like Marty McFly just having endured the burn "you have to use your hands? That's like a babies toy!" This future is closer than we think, by 2015 it may in fact be that way.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kraznor

Okay, I work in video game retail and we constantly have demo machines running some of the more recent games. Nintendo has recently provided us with some titles that play very traditionally, namely Punch Out! and New Super Mario Bros Wii. Several times a day I end up having to explain to kids that no, you don't aim the remote at the screen, you hold it sideways, you know, like an NES controller. This often results in bewildered stares and kids awkwardly shifting their hands around the thing, sometimes holding it in completely nonsensical positions as they struggle to comprehend this concept. Thats what struck me, they literally have no frame of reference for what I'm talking about. The Wii remote is what games are to them, they have no knowledge of what came before and cannot understand this old-fashioned way of playing games.

Literally feel like Marty McFly just having endured the burn "you have to use your hands? That's like a babies toy!" This future is closer than we think, by 2015 it may in fact be that way.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Kraznor said:
" by 2015 it may in fact be that way. "
No, never.
Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Nekroskop

Can't wait for hoverboards, man
Donkey_Kong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Donkey_Kong

Oh dude, thats not even the worst. Those 10 year old kids you are talking about (which my little brother is one of) dont have clue one about how to use a computer in general, or how to play a game on the PC. Controller is one thing, but the inability to play a game with the mouse and keyboard is startling. Its not just them either, but console tards who's first experience with videogaming was with the Xbox 1 and then the 360. 

<oldtimerrant.> Why when I was a youngen, the first computer I ever owned DID NOT HAVE A CD-ROM DRIVE! Later I would get a computer with a drive and have to boot into DOS to play a lot of my games, SOME OF THEM CAME ON FLOPPY DISK. My brother can't even install a game on XP, hell he can barely type. Then the internet happened, and I couldn't use the phone when i was on the internet. <oldtimerant>

I realize what i just described is nothing special for those of us in my age bracket, its just how things were back then. But it does worry me when a generation grows up not understanding what goes on within the computer, i guess that's what happens when everything streamlines.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

Still, it's good enough that they know to hold the controller. Don't know what I mean? Go to YouTube and search "Wii Broken TV."

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By VisariLoyalist

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Emilio

Oddly, I noticed this when I started up New Super Mario Bros. for two of my younger relatives. 

But of course they knew how to play Xbox 360.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By CowMuffins
@Emilio said:
" Oddly, I noticed this when I started up New Super Mario Bros. for two of my younger relatives.  But of course they knew how to play Xbox 360. "
I pointed it at the screen. I honestly had no clue what the menu was going to be like. I knew you could play it sideways, but I thought Nintendo might pull a SSB: Brawl and put multiple control schemes in there.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By zombie2011

The worst was the N64 controller, most my friends could not understand you have to hold the middle stick while playing Goldeneye.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kraznor
@zombie2011 said:
" The worst was the N64 controller, most my friends could not understand you have to hold the middle stick while playing Goldeneye. "
I apparently always held the N64 controller in an irregular fashion, especially given how small my hands were at the time.
71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 71Ranchero

If they ever make motion control the standard I will stop buying new games.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Whisperkill

Yeah it sucks...

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Jams

I know exactly what you all are talking about. But to be fair, not every ones first game was Metal Gear on the PC. Hit the turbo button to make it go from 35Mhz to 77Mhz! Etc. I also got lucky and got to play the C64 that my grandparents had. All that trouble trying to enter the commands to start the games. I wouldn't trade those experience for any new game. Oh yeah, Ski Free CHiPS challenge Alone in the dark Speed racer TMNT (some weird PC version) X-Men (weird side scroller) Good times.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
@CowMuffins said:
" @Emilio said:
" Oddly, I noticed this when I started up New Super Mario Bros. for two of my younger relatives.  But of course they knew how to play Xbox 360. "
I pointed it at the screen. I honestly had no clue what the menu was going to be like. I knew you could play it sideways, but I thought Nintendo might pull a SSB: Brawl and put multiple control schemes in there. "
Sweet Jesus... 

Care to explain how you thought motion controls would work in a Mario game, a side scrolling one that is.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By shirogane

The sideways thing always gets me for the first second, before i realise that it's one of the sideways games on wii. 

Ah, the good old days of SNES and NES controllers, and DOS commands...
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By hockeymask27
@Donkey_Kong said:
" Oh dude, thats not even the worst. Those 10 year old kids you are talking about (which my little brother is one of) dont have clue one about how to use a computer in general, or how to play a game on the PC. Controller is one thing, but the inability to play a game with the mouse and keyboard is startling. Its not just them either, but console tards who's first experience with videogaming was with the Xbox 1 and then the 360.   <oldtimerrant.> Why when I was a youngen, the first computer I ever owned DID NOT HAVE A CD-ROM DRIVE! Later I would get a computer with a drive and have to boot into DOS to play a lot of my games, SOME OF THEM CAME ON FLOPPY DISK. My brother can't even install a game on XP, hell he can barely type. Then the internet happened, and I couldn't use the phone when i was on the internet. <oldtimerant>  I realize what i just described is nothing special for those of us in my age bracket, its just how things were back then. But it does worry me when a generation grows up not understanding what goes on within the computer, i guess that's what happens when everything streamlines. "
Even though i was still between the ages 8-10 i remember the hey, got to use the phone? Do it now before I surf the Interwebs.
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By DanielJW

I love the Wii games that let me hold it horizontally. Makes me feel like I live in a simpler time. 

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bubahula
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Kraznor said:
" by 2015 it may in fact be that way. "
No, never. "
i would rather die in 2012 then play like that in 2015 lol
PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PulledaBrad

cd C:\games <enter>
dir /p/w <enter>
cd oldtimegame
dir /p/w
game.exe

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By cstrang
@PulledaBrad said:
" cd C:\games <enter> dir /p/w <enter> cd oldtimegame dir /p/w game.exe "
This looks familiar.

Face it, man.  We are the in-between generation.  The computer was introduced to our parents too late, so they didn't learn the ins-and-outs.  Kids today have their fancy-pants Windows with their nice UIs and shit, so they don't need to know the ins-and-outs.  Us? Well, we had to know DOS/Linux to get our fucking games to run.  Back in the day, getting TMNT to play on your computer was like taking a crash course in computer programing.
PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PulledaBrad

I remember the days of wrecking autoexec.bat just to get something running. Oh the good old days of explaining to dad why the computer wasnt working for the moment while I had to reinstall everything, Apparently trial-and-error is not a good enough excuse for bricking the computer. But I needed to hear Mega Mans blaster over the speakers dammit.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#22  Edited By Hailinel
@zombie2011 said:
" The worst was the N64 controller, most my friends could not understand you have to hold the middle stick while playing Goldeneye. "
And that's when you show them Sin & Punishment, and their entire frame of reference gets shattered again.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By asurastrike

I would think that it was because the Wii remote is very awkward to hold sideways. I know plenty of kids who know who to hold a 360 controller.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#24  Edited By Hailinel
@Asurastrike said:
" I would think that it was because the Wii remote is very awkward to hold sideways. I know plenty of kids who know who to hold a 360 controller. "
I don't really find it that awkward to hold, particularly with the remote jacket on.  It makes the contour of the remote feel more natural when held sideways.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Meowayne

OH NOES KIDS TODAY THEY'RE NOT IDENTICAL TO US THAT MEANS THEYRE WORSE 

You would think that after thousands of years, man would have realized by now that just because the follow-up generation is different and irritating, it doesn't make them worse. But no, for hundreds of generations, every generation the same crap. "Kids today! What a messed up generation! You wouldn't have seen such behavious in my time!"

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By scarace360

So we should just make the next generation have no controllers and they use keyboards. And that's pretty sad that kids now don't know how to use a controller. Thats something parents should teach their kids. Just dont teach them how to use a head set or how to set one up or how to plug it in.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kraznor
@Meowayne said:
" OH NOES KIDS TODAY THEY'RE NOT IDENTICAL TO US THAT MEANS THEYRE WORSE    You would think that after thousands of years, man would have realized by now that just because the follow-up generation is different and irritating, it doesn't make them worse. But no, for hundreds of generations, every generation the same crap. "Kids today! What a messed up generation! You wouldn't have seen such behavious in my time!" "
I recognize that. I'm really just saying that was my moment of realization that things have changed a great deal since I was a lad. They aren't worse, just different in ways I don't approve of.
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

And I bet those kids knew alot more about a certain subject/thing than you do.  People here are obviously interested in video games and computers, so it isn't very surprising the average user here knows more than usual when it comes to such a thing.  

Most of the people here probably have no idea their car works.  So what?

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By CandleJakk
@cstrang said:
" @PulledaBrad said:
" cd C:\games <enter> dir /p/w <enter> cd oldtimegame dir /p/w game.exe "
This looks familiar.  Face it, man.  We are the in-between generation.  The computer was introduced to our parents too late, so they didn't learn the ins-and-outs.  Kids today have their fancy-pants Windows with their nice UIs and shit, so they don't need to know the ins-and-outs.  Us? Well, we had to know DOS/Linux to get our fucking games to run.  Back in the day, getting TMNT to play on your computer was like taking a crash course in computer programing. "
I disagree with that one sentence here in particular. As far as I'm concerned, you are the starting generation of video games consumers, rather than the in between generation, which, if I'm honest I would place myself currently. You had an 'old-school' computer whereby you needed to learn the basic coding within the DOS Command Prompt etc... in order to install the games you wanted to play.   

By the time my family had a computer, PC gaming was emerging onto the CD market rather than the floppy disc, and thereby I had to learn that stuff, that you can remember years later, retrospectively. I never had a NES, Genesis, TurboGrafX, or any of that generation console. However, that tech wasn't old enough for me to have not seen or heard of it, and as a result I have a pretty good knowledge of it now, and would be perfectly happy using a NES etc... My first console was a PSOne, which I received just before the PS2 came out, though my first gaming experience was on an N64. Hell, my first 'private' PC which I owned for myself ran XP Home Edition Service Pack 2.

Likewise, I despair at the new generation of video games consumers who don't know their arse from their elbows, have no idea what an Atari 2600 is, what a Commodore 64 looks like, or even that the ZX Spectrum is one of the most influential systems ever created. They started with the PS2 on it's phasing out, the Wii, XBox original and 360, etc... so they have this spoiled silver-spoon complex going on. It's only natural that they don't know what a NES controller looks like if they're currently ten years old. They were born after Ocarina Of Time was the most technically advanced game ever.

{I hope this makes sense, but it's half six in the morning, GMT, and I haven't slept in a couple of days, yay. (If it doesn't I'm sorry)).
Donkey_Kong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Donkey_Kong

I vivdly remember when my father got an N64 for his birthday. I also remember when OoT came out and i was told it was too complicated for me, and for a little while it was sort of true.

kingkorn69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kingkorn69

Dude to each there own.  We all have grown up in different times and you are there to teach them.  Just because a 10 year old kid don't look up the history of gaming don't mean anything.  We all had to start somewhere.  So let them grow up and learn for them selves about games and stop moaning.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CowMuffins
@ADTR_ZERO said:
" @CowMuffins said:
" @Emilio said:
I pointed it at the screen. I honestly had no clue what the menu was going to be like. I knew you could play it sideways, but I thought Nintendo might pull a SSB: Brawl and put multiple control schemes in there. "
Sweet Jesus...   Care to explain how you thought motion controls would work in a Mario game, a side scrolling one that is. "
I thought you might be able to move with the nunchuk and like jumping and stuff was motion controlled. Jerk the controller up to jump, and all the other motion controls the game has already. It seems like something Nintendo would do.
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By mracoon

All my nephews and younger cousins learnt how to use controllers very quickly. My 7 year cousin is still better at games then many of my cousins in there 20s-30s.

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PulledaBrad
@kingkorn69: Good point. But can we ask them to look up proper grammar?
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By Claude

It's nothing more than a learning curve and the probability that they want to learn.

I quit playing PC games in 1992 and focused primarily on console games. I started playing PC games again in early 2000. I had no idea what WASD or DirectX was. You should have seen me trying to play games on my PC. It took a while and a willingness to learn, but I got there.

I'm 44 years old and don't own a cell phone. I couldn't text if you taught me... probably. We all live in our own little world divided by age, peers and the illusion of what's real.