Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By KaosAngel
@melcene
@Bomb said:
"when u buy alienware, u pay for the name "
Fixed.
The M11x is still second to none though.
dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By dagas

Gaming laptop is an oxymoron. I look for portability in a laptop. Why buy a massive 17" 7lb laptop? At that point you might as well get a desktop computer. Why pay at least twice as much for a laptop compared to a desktop and  which you can't upgrade when it's too big and heavy to be very portable anyway. Personally I wouldn't buy anything bigger than a 13" laptop.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#53  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Alienware is stupid overpriced though. Whatever power they may have is made up for the fact that really, you shouldn't have a laptop as your primary PC gaming device except in fairly specific circumstances.

Mechabolic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Mechabolic

"Alienware: When you have expendable money but already own a mac."

Seriously though, you can buy a comparable laptop for around half of the price of an Alienware.  Heck, I got a Dell laptop for around 800 with better specs than Alienware's mid priced laptops.  If you search around, you WILL find a better deal.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#55  Edited By Geno

Alienware is actually a subsidiary of Dell meaning their build quality is average and their value is poor. Also, lol at buying $3,000 laptops in the first place. Spending that much means you bought it for heavy lifting (gaming, editing, folding etc.), i.e. tasks not suited for on-the-go. In which case you would've gotten double to triple that power with the same amount of money on a desktop. 

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Aronman789

I couldn't stand playing games on a laptop, the screen is way too small.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By Brendan

Everyone knows that Origin is where it's at these days.  Or you can just build a desktop for half the cost.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By iam3green

i think you are just buying for something expensive name. i don't think there really are good laptop for gaming because you can't upgrade them. i think you have to pay a lot to send it back to them for them to upgrade it.it's nothing going to play everything good.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By animateria
@dagas said:
" Gaming laptop is an oxymoron. I look for portability in a laptop. Why buy a massive 17" 7lb laptop? At that point you might as well get a desktop computer. Why pay at least twice as much for a laptop compared to a desktop and  which you can't upgrade when it's too big and heavy to be very portable anyway. Personally I wouldn't buy anything bigger than a 13" laptop. "
My 15 inch Laptop seems like just the right size.

It's not too heavy nor is it too small.

It plays all the current games on the highest settings. And only cost me $1000 after tax.

It's great because when I go to my cousin's house we can play co-op/multiplayer games like TF2 or Borderlands next to each other. Or just play something else while watching TV.

Can't wait to play some Portal 2 once PSN goes up.

17 inch screens are too big though. My mom has one of those and it's way too cumbersome and heavy to carry around. And it's specs aren't great either.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By MikkaQ
@ryanwho said:
" @Yanngc33 said:

" @XII_Sniper said:

" Eh Macbooks are nicer laptops. They're ligher, cooler, and quieter, plus have nicer screens than an alienware. You're paying about the same amount too.
Gaming on laptops is retarded and macbooks do literally everything else just fine, so I'm sticking with those.
"
Try running Left 4 Dead 2 on a Macbook and get back to me on that :p you're right, laptops are built to do other things than gaming. My Mac lets me play for about 2 hours before dying making playing on trips crap "
Im back. Left 4 Dead runs fine. All Valve games run fine prettymuch maxed out. Bootcamp motherfucker. Its the OS, not the hardware. My 09 Macbook Pro can run basically everything, its just a matter of cooling the CPU. If you're going to be dumb with your money, Macbook is a better option than Alienware, but niether's a good deal for gaming. You game at a desktop. I have a macbook only because my school gave me one, I'd never spend 2300 on my own for this when I could spend half that and get a much better desktop gaming rig. "
Well it runs... okay on my 2009 Macbook Pro. It's not a gaming machine by any means, even in Boot Camp. Which I don't like using because I pay the apple premium for both the sleek hardware design and the OS. For me they are the ultimate lifestyle and artistic computers, I edit a lot of film on my macbook pro and it performs very well in that regard. 
QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By QuistisTrepe

Actually, I'm more than happy with my Asus G73JH-X1. Alienware, you mean Dellware? The Alienware brand is complete shit now that Dell bought the brand. It used to be only overpriced, now it's grossly overpriced garbage.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By DystopiaX

Alienware is overpriced...you can get much nicer quality hardware and/or better specs for the same price.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ArcLyte

cool story bro tell it again.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Agent47
@Bomb: Wow posting a comment about Alienware being good.....in the GB forums?You sir are asking for it...
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By SeriouslyNow

When you pay for Alienware, you get a Dell.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Can we please, please bring back the post requirement before new users can post their own threads?

Selftest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Selftest

To all who said gaming on laptops is shit... I concur. Unless you have a LOT of LAN parties, or travel the globe gaming... Whats the point? Doesn't one at LEAST need a mouse to really make it worth it? Gaming on a trackpad sucks major.

Anyhow, Love the original post for it's complete lack of sanity.
QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By QuistisTrepe
@Selftest said:
" To all who said gaming on laptops is shit... I concur. Unless you have a LOT of LAN parties, or travel the globe gaming... Whats the point? Doesn't one at LEAST need a mouse to really make it worth it? Gaming on a trackpad sucks major.

Anyhow, Love the original post for it's complete lack of sanity.
"
I hear they have external mice nowadays, Just sayin'.
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#69  Edited By Enigma777

I'm thinking of getting a m14x. I think it's perfect for my needs thought it is a bit pricey (the configuration I want is around $1500).

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Enigma777 said:
" I'm thinking of getting a m14x. I think it's perfect for my needs thought it is a bit pricey (the configuration I want is around $1500). "
Be wary of their suggested battery life and Nvidia's Optimus.  Neither are as good as they sound.
sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#71  Edited By sarge1445

M11x has been amazing spent 950 got myself an i5 with 8 gigs of ram and of course the 335m 1 gig and a 500 gig HDD its small the screen is great and the machine is gorgeous

ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#72  Edited By ApolloJ85

Nothing wrong with a gaming laptop. I've got an Alienware M11x, take it to work, to my girlfriend's place. It's perfect for my lifestyle really. Plus its really small so I can fit it in most bags without trouble. Pack a HDMI cable in and I can rig it up to a TV if I want a larger screen.

if i'm at home I'll use my 360 or the Wii, I don't have any need for a desktop rig - they're just too cumbersome. It's not like i'm sitting around my room all the time anyway. I guess for younger people having a desktop in your room is ideal, but not for me.
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By warxsnake

Asus

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By pekoe212
@ATrevelan said:
" Since I'm moving to Central Asia in a little under three months, I just plopped down a grand on an ASUS gaming laptop. It's a full 800 dollars cheaper than the bigass model that Tested did a video review on last June AND it's more powerful.

As someone who primarily games on PC, I'm a desktop fanboy all the way, but I can't lug a tower, monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc to the other side of the world with me. With the laptop, all I need is a plug converter and the machine itself. Done. In my situation it was a no brainer.
"
This is why I had a gaming laptop in college. When I was moving frequently, often every six months, and spending summer and winter vacations with family, it was so convenient to take my laptop with me and still be able to play my games. I moved to Italy for a while and it was damn nice to be able to play Oblivion there. My shoulder was in constant pain lugging the laptop through airports, and I nearly took out a few people with the carrying case, but it was perfect for my lifestyle at the time. Now I have a gaming desktop and a netbook.
mosdef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By mosdef

Is alineware the only stock gaming laptop out there?  Just wondering if there are any alternatives that involve me having to mod anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c86670f38adc
deactivated-5c86670f38adc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bomb said:
"    its like buying a H2 HUMMER  "
So, it's a laptop designed to cash in on the name and look of a brand?
sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By sarge1445
@blueaniman93 said:
" people keep telling me the m11x is a good laptopi'm thinking about it because I want a laptop that can run games but I do not know if it suitable for college life since I am going to college in the fall "
I got an m11x for college if you look around for coupons you can get one for 950-1200 and there great machines 7 hours of batteyr life with the intel card 3 without it light weight. My issue the screen is a tad small
sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By sarge1445
@dagas said:
" Gaming laptop is an oxymoron. I look for portability in a laptop. Why buy a massive 17" 7lb laptop? At that point you might as well get a desktop computer. Why pay at least twice as much for a laptop compared to a desktop and  which you can't upgrade when it's too big and heavy to be very portable anyway. Personally I wouldn't buy anything bigger than a 13" laptop. "
the 1000 dollar m11x says hi
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#79  Edited By melcene
@blueaniman93 said:
" people keep telling me the m11x is a good laptopi'm thinking about it because I want a laptop that can run games but I do not know if it suitable for college life since I am going to college in the fall "
I just bought a laptop for school today myself.  Only paid $399 on Newegg.  The specs are great - the only thing I would change for it to be a good gaming laptop is the vid card.  Look elsewhere than Alienware.  And don't forget you'll probably want MS Office.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By KaosAngel
@melcene said:
"And don't forget you'll probably want MS Office. "
...or just use Google Docs.
mehojevich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By mehojevich

first the hummer h2 is a chevy silverado reskinned ....and alienware really??? my macbook pro is the shit for games....but i only play valve games on pc lol

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alienware is fine if you have a lot of money to burn, you really are going to pay a lot extra for a name.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bomb said:
"its so nice, heavy, matte black, its like buying a H2 HUMMER and buying anything else is like buying that shitty toyota wannabe hummer that looks like an oversized toy car "
Thanks for the laughs.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Karl_Boss

A lot of people fell for this troll post.

Avatar image for rectum_abominae
rectum_abominae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By rectum_abominae
@Bomb: You're the worst consumer ever.