[Android App] Giant Bomb Video Buddy

soup_menu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@mach_go_go_go: Some recent videos haven't had their HD version posted yet. Normally, not having an HD link indicates that you don't have a premium membership, which is why the app is showing that error. The good news is that, as soon as the HD versions get posted, those videos will become available for download. The bad news is that I'm not sure when that will happen. Sorry for the inconvenience.

greks224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am having the same problem for these two videos.

Hey, I'm a premium subscriber, but the app isn't letting m download certain videos (Shenmue ER: Episode 6, GB Playmate: Deus Ex).

Notification: "Premium Subscription required. Please log in if your a Premium Member"

Burd_Dev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#303  Edited By Burd_Dev

I was pretty thrilled to find an easy way to play GB content on my TV, but it seems that streaming videos to my Chromecast doesn't produce any sound. I've tried a few different videos and other apps to troubleshoot. Both iOS and Android versions produce no sound when streamed, but work fine locally. Is this a known issue? If it's of any use, it's a Chromecast 2.

Edit: As best I can tell, my Pihole setup was interfering with streaming videos via the app as well as watching them on the site proper. I'll try and isolate the issue and report back.

Row

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304  Edited By Row

The frame rate for streaming HD Quick looks like forza and hitman has dropped to being really low and out of sync with sound. UPF is OK. I can't seem to watch videos in lower quality either - it just shows me the video voiced over by Jeff that there is a problem. It seems to coincide with when I renewed membership but atm I'm forced to use a YouTube app for some videos.

Update: Wonder if its videos with a higher frame rate that I'm struggling to handle now. The Virginia ql from the east crew is fine.

blackadder88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Found the bug when I try to download the latest video it keeps saying premium scripts and required when I have one

alecgdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soup_menu: Hey, in case you missed this part of my post earlier, I was hoping to get an answer to the question:

Any plans on open sourcing GBVB and allowing others to contribute?

soup_menu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alecgdouglas: No, I'm afraid there are not currently any plans along those lines.

MrChozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#308  Edited By MrChozo

Kind of a dumb question, and sorry if it's already been answered, but when streaming, how do I save a video's progress with 100% certainty it will resume from that location? Also, does this function work better if the videos have been downloaded?

I know that it is likely just pressing the 'Back' button, but would like to know if it requires pausing the video first, or if hitting the 'Home' button does the same thing. So far, I seem to have mixed results with this function. I'm on Android, and have access to decent-to-great Wi-Fi 90% of the time, so I prefer to stream my videos.

Progress saving is one of the things that irks me about the website's player, and most of my reasoning for using this (so-far) very excellent app. Any additional information about the video player on the site would also be beneficial to me. Maybe I just have to click another link in order to save the progress in my cookies or be aware when I'm playing it on a different device or something. Maybe video progress could be baked into duders' accounts (if it's not already) in such a way that it would be saved across devices...

EDIT: Never mind, I just started downloading the videos ahead of time, and my progress seems to save better that way. The app is, understandably, more responsive overall.

greks224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrchozo: I've been using the app for years, and I find that pressing back versus having the app quit out works almost all of the time. I usually download vs. stream, however.

@soup_menu "Mobile" quality downloads have not been working recently. Did Giant Bomb change something, perhaps? It appears that the video app links to "600" bitrate whereas the mobile quality for newer videos has "700" for the mobile URLs. Here is an example video: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/the-jeff-gerstmann-home-game-total-carnage-cyberna/2300-11663/

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@greks224: There was a note recently in the app. It seems a change in the API means he can no longer simulate Mobile quality (The API doesn't surface actual Mobile quality as the site has it)

greks224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311  Edited By greks224

@driadon: Thanks! I must not have seen that piece of news pop up.

Bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Would be great if there was a Leanback Android TV/Fire TV APK for this...

Swizzler121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would there ever be a chance at getting a queue feature for this? I like putting their longform videos on in the background while I do housework and stuff and I hate having to stop doing stuff to dig through my phone and find the next episode after one ends. If I could queue up a days worth of housework videos in one go i'd be completely set!

TheFreaking21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi everybody!!

I've downloaded this app hoping I could stream GB videos from my cellphone to the TV (like I do with youtube videos) but I can't. I know that it's not what this app was built for but I wanted to ask if you could help me do this (I have an Xperia M4 Aqua and a Bravia KDL-32w655a).

I can duplicate my screen via Mirrorcast but the phone must be with the screen on (otherwise the stream ends), and it heats too much, so I prefer not doing it that way.

Thanks in advance!!

greks224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefreaking21: I know this doesn't help for your current TV situation, but the app does have Chromecast support.

azezpz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone else been having issues with chromecast in the app for the last week or so? The app keeps crashing whenever I attempt to connect to my chromecast.

capt_ventris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@azezpz1: I've just noticed the same problem today

rpfrpf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I'm getting an instant crash trying to cast any videos. Nothing (force closing the app, restarting the tablet) seems to help. I'm on Galaxy S2 Tab with a recent-ish update to Android 7.0.

CrazyCraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

I'm getting the same problem now. Pressing the cast button and "Unfortunately, Giant Bomb Video Buddy has stopped".

MrChozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I just bought a new Galaxy S8+ (Android 7.0), and this just started happening to me too. Does anyone know if the dev still works on it?

@rpfrpf said:

Yes, I'm getting an instant crash trying to cast any videos. Nothing (force closing the app, restarting the tablet) seems to help. I'm on Galaxy S2 Tab with a recent-ish update to Android 7.0.

Sehet_Xaui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Throwing in I am having the same crash on trying to cast to chromecast. Pixel XL

ey3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am also getting instant crashes when trying to cast to my Chromecast (LG G5).

Freakysheek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I emailed the dev about the crash issue and he told me to get bubblepnp and long press on play in video buddy app and have it connect bubblrpnp to the Chromecast that way. It works, it's not the best but it works. He said the app is on the back burner for now.

Skunkboy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Is anyone else unable to download e3 nite 2 Xavier woods? It's saying I'm not a premium member, but I am and I can still download other premium vids. And none of the other e3 vids are done that, I was able to download them.

harveydanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just chiming in, I'm having the instant crash issue as well. Have been for what seems like a couple of months at this point.

hexxagon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I noticed the Chromecast Crash issue today for the first time, it is a real bummer. Luckily, the KODI plugin still works fine (it didn't for a time which is why I switched to phone+chromecast).

limasol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting random periods of the app not believing I'm premium despite my subscription being automatically updating. Last week a couple of days worth of stuff I can't download because of it. Even now newer videos don't complain. What can I do?

sophiaB868

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have seen the thread and it's not updated since years. So here is the latest version of videobuddy(https://apkkernal.com/videobuddy-mod-apk/).