Anybody else find most Quick Looks boring these days?

• 125 results
Opus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Opus

My favorite quick looks involve the more obscure or under-hyped games, like the roller coaster simulator. If it doesn't fall into that category the quick look tends to play out as "you've probably played this game before at some point, here's how it looks different."

Not to be down on Halo 4, which is undoubtably a great game, but it's quick look fell into that second category. Watched the first twenty minutes and saw all that I needed.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By AngelN7

Uhh what!? did you see any of the QL's with Vinny on them last week? all of them were great!

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By JCTango

i'll be honest - i don't usually watch a quick look from beginning to end :/. I skim through most of it these days.... unless it's really funny.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By deathbyyeti

Yes

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By geirr

No.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By DystopiaX

Major releases are boring, yeah, and they used to be exciting. But the ones they don't take seriously or are niche are still pretty good.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By deskp

I agree, more informative less fun. Not that forces joking would be great either.

They also seem to always run out of time..

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By Grimluck343

Vinny could quick look a brick wall and I'd watch it.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#60  Edited By hawkinson76

Sure, but that's because the games are boring. The fifth Assassin's Creed, the sixth Halo, its nothing to get excited about, and there isn't much to riff on. There have been plenty of quicklooks that sold me an on games I'd never heard of, like Metro 2033 and Enslaved, but I haven't bought a single new release game this year (not even Mass Effect 3). To be fair, I'm still playing through games from the last couple of years, but I have gotten pumped up for at least a couple of new releases every year, but not this year.

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By vonFlampanker

Funny or serious, I find 'em a lot more helpful when it comes to game buying decisions than reviews. I'm liking the fact that we seem to be getting so many lately.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#62  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Did you not see that Sleeping Dogs DLC quick look? That may be one of the single best QLs ever.

So I guess my answer is "no"

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By iceman228433

Some of them are amazing like the sleeping dogs quick look for the Halloween dlc.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#64  Edited By Hizang

Some quick looks are great some are not, if you look back at past quick looks, some are not that fun to watch either.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Flappy

Nope. I may not watch all of them, but the ones that I watch are all pretty good. After all, the entire point of the video is to give the viewer a better idea of what they're getting themselves into should they decide to buy the game. There's a lot of GB flavor sprinkled in the mix, but as long as the video accomplishes the original goal, it is all gravy.

Side Note: Flight Club is awesome.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By iceman228433

Oh I just want to add this any quick look with Vinny is amazing.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By LiquidPrince

Patrick tends to be so technical in his quick looks, he sounds like he's analyzing everything and comparing everything to everything. He was super funny in Hotline Miami, but aside from that he over explains things too much which tends to make things a little slow. Vinny is still the funniest because he always sound like he is really enjoying everything he does.

leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By leejunfan83

video games

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ThePaleKing

Waaaah they weren't hyper excited about my favorite game, these quick looks are getting SO BORING!!!

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Etnos said:

Farm Simulator QL was the best thing internet has gave me last couple of months.

Also FS Aerofly.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#71  Edited By Castiel

Yeah I feel exactly the same. I also turn most quick looks off a 3rd of the way through.

I'm not going to be popular for this but I even felt that the last Farm Simulator QL and even the flight club were a bit boring. They had their moments but they were few and far between and compared with the first Farm QL or the other FC videos, they weren't even half as funny.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#72  Edited By obcdexter

The last couple of weeks had gems like Farm Simulator, Aerofly, Sleeping Dogs ... so, no, I guess I still like them quite a lot. Although I do tend to skip a lot more of them recently.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Sayishere

Yeah I agree, not to sound like a broken record, but has to be said. Whenever Vinny is in a quick look, it's just good, the classic vinny jeff combo makes for comedy gold. Shame that Vinny is hardy in quick looks.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By SharkEthic

Yep, it's been quite a while since I've watched one all the way through (with the exception of the Sleeping Dogs DLC).

What's with Ryans obsession with looking through the menus all of a sudden? I don't wanna watch that.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#75  Edited By daiphyer

I do agree. Jeff's getting way too negative about every game (Even games that he likes), Patrick likes explaining the history and every little mechanic, Ryan gets lost while explaining, or just roams the menus back and forth.. It's just not the same. Thank God for Vinny, though. He makes every QL he is in very entertaining.

And you can't say that quick looks for AAA games have always been this way. Go back and watch the QL for Uncharted 2, or NSMB Wii, they were great. Now, you look at Dishonored, and NSMB 2, and it's ehhhhh.

I think there are several factors for why this is happening. And I think the biggest one is that they've stopped doing video reviews, so quick looks for "important" games are now sort of a replacement.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Deusx

No.

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By The_Patriarch

I simply think a lot of people have watched a LOT of quick looks over the past few years that some fatigue may be setting in. I dont think the funny to serious quick look ratio is that altered from two or three years ago, but thats totally just my own gut feeling. I do skip more quick looks than I used to, or go back and watch them a lot later, but for me I think Ive just watched so many hours of quick looks at this point, that its a totally natural decline which has little to do with the actual quality of most quick looks.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Christoffer

I don't need every Quick Looks to be funny. Believe it or not, sometimes I come here to learn about games and not just for the jokes that'll go straight to the endless GB meme pile. Sometimes I find the lack of information and a good discussion to be boring, it's just a matter of perspective.

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#80  Edited By Tennmuerti

Some are informative.

Some are funny.

Rarely if ever are they both.

I like both types for different reasons.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Nope.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#82  Edited By Otacon

I do find that I'll get bored if I've just put on a quick look for a game I don't find interesting but I think that's fine. There are two types of quick look nowadays, the, 'I've been playing this game a while so will talk you through it' quick look and the, 'hey this looks pretty neat/crazy/awful lets check it out' quick look. I think the guys do a decent mix of the two right now, and though some informative quick looks can be a bit drawn out and dull (especially if there's a lot o hanging around on title screens or menus) it's not a persistent problem.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Ravenlight

The latter half of the WWE'13 QL is pretty much the best thing.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#84  Edited By Winternet
SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By SargeGulp

What makes them great is often spontaneity, which isn't something you can script. Which is why what makes them great when they're great, makes them terrible when they're terrible.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#86  Edited By monkeyking1969

As a boss, I always tell my people, "Bring me solutions, not problems." That same concept of discourse should be de rigueur for this website when talking about what we like or what we see could be improved. The typical "does anyone else feel...." posts around here are trite. Either learn how to give useful criticism or bring alternatives, because the endless whining is pointless.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#87  Edited By ProfessorEss

@MonkeyKing1969 said:

As a boss, I always tell my people, "Bring me solutions, not problems." That same concept of discourse should be de rigueur for this website when talking about what we like or what we see could be improved. The typical "does anyone else feel...." posts around here are trite. Either learn how to give useful criticism or bring alternatives, because the endless whining is pointless.

I have one part of a solution. I still generally enjoy the quick looks but one thing that I think is hurting this site's entertainment value as a whole is the regular complaining about this console generation and how it's gone on too long.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with them (I've been playing much less lately as a result) and I understand it is hard to manufacture enthusiasm but considering that this is their job perhaps they could try a little harder to roll with it until the next one starts.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#88  Edited By Yanngc33

I think this may be due to the games more than to the crew. Most games these days are sort of uninspired while big blockbuster releases are such a non quantity that any sort of coverage is boring.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By dichemstys

Nope. Still great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Loafsmooch

Yup. I crave more Vinny and Drew in videos!

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By prestonhedges

On the whole? Yeah. Patrick and Ryan just talk about mechanics and this game's effect as a whole on the gaming industry and blah blah blah blah blah "I think I'm right in saying that maybe this mechanic is a mechanic that, on this level or that level, interacts in a meticulous way with how the world operates" while Brad just plays a game badly and talks about the game like he's never played it before in his life (even though he's actively playing it right in front of you) while whoever he's with just sighs in the background.

Those combinations are just eh.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#93  Edited By breadfan

I do. I hardly watch Quick Looks anymore.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By AlexW00d

I wouldn't know, the videos seem to freeze and crash my browser before I can get 10 minutes into them.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#95  Edited By DoctorWelch

Have you even been watching the recent Quick Looks? They're some of the best they've ever done.

I've found myself laughing out loud at more Quick Looks than ever recently. Lately they've been awesome, but there was a little while there (like a year) where most of the QL were just not entertaining because they guys just weren't crackin jokes and having fun with it.

DirtyEagles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By DirtyEagles

@BillyMethers: Yes!

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#97  Edited By BoatDrinks

I used to watch every quick look they put out, now not so much. Brad/ Patrick quicklooks I pretty much instantly skip, and most of the ones where Patrick is driving the QL. Not to say I hate Patrick, but hes really only entertaining when hes in a group of 3 or more and/ or just commentating. Brad is similar to Patrick in being too mechanical while driving a QL I really only buy a few games a year so I'm not really coming to GB for hardcore game analysis. Jeff/ Ryan usually provide interesting commentary and are always good at bouncing off each other. Anything with Vinny and Dave is golden.

Avatar image for irish_giant_bomber
Irish_Giant_Bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate these threads. Cancer.

Always just ends up with people putting staff members down.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#99  Edited By penguindust

Did you see the one with all the rocket ships? That QL had tears streaming down my face. Okay, that was back in August, but still...these days I guess their a bit more informative than comedic but they're still entertaining. I love Patrick's writing but in the QL's he tends to jabber-jabber on about stuff and deconstructs games to the point where I tune out to whatever he's going on about. I don't want to silence him, I would just prefer if he didn't feel he needed to be saying something every moment. I guess that's asking a lot in a video where all we get from the crew is their audio. I'm not sure if Ryan is a surly as he used to be. I have no complaints about Jeff or Vinny. Brad's pretty much the same as he's always been.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Dylabaloo

Yes, can honestly say I haven't watched a full quicklook in months. Used to eagerly anticipate and watch every single one.