Anybody installed Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala)

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

Did anyone do it?

Any problems?

If anyone is going to do it by upgrading from 9.04 or 9, and has changed menu.lst, please make a backup of menu.lst, and when prompted to overwrite it say yes, as it can lead to various annoying time-consuming bugs, that you'll eventually understand that it's because it's using the wrong kernel. After it, just make the same changes on the new menu.lst as you had before, and everything it pretty and neat.

Linux... why? just why???

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

That menu.lst thing has been an issue ever since they implemented the automated updates. The options that they give you to choose from about how to handle the menu.lst file don't really accurately tell you what they do. Luckily, I've only had to go through that headache once, and I've since then learned which option to select during the upgrade process.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jeust
@Chaser324: 

Yup! me too... i learnt it now.

But it's really careless to ask it without giving any reason to why they wanted to fiddle with it, and let the user deal with the consequences.
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
@Jeust: I can see how those options might be relevant to some users that need to have exact control over which version of the kernel they're running, but the phrasing of the different options doesn't accurately represent what they do.
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Synthballs

I've got it installed, actually, it's all I have installed since my XP decided to shit itself repeatedly.

I can't tell a huge difference between 9.04 and 9.10. But then again, I was only running 9.04 for a week before the latest came out.

That and I'm a total newb to linux.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jeust
@Synthballs:  

i too have it. It doesn't seem all two diferent. 

It seems a bit more heavy, but also with less buggy, as some i was having seem that have been corrected. 

Good luck with it. :)
Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Fbomb

I've done it. But I've gone back to Windows now. I got tired of always looking for ways to make certain things work. I like Linux, but it can be a bit high-maintenance sometimes.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Synthballs

Some very pretty visual features though. 

Which don't require that powerful a graphics card either. Which I'm quite thankful for since the Laptop i'm using is better as a paper weight some days.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jeust
@Fbomb said:

" I've done it. But I've gone back to Windows now. I got tired of always looking for ways to make certain things work. I like Linux, but it can be a bit high-maintenance sometimes. "

It's true. Linux is more enthusiasts and for people that have to use it.   

Even if you want to do something cool you probably have to lose some hours to make it work. 

For a regular user it's better windows or mac os. 

@Synthballs:  

I agree, and ubuntu is especially made to have low requirements. 

The only grip is that some programs and almost all high profile games are difficult to run on Linux.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Branthog

I have to be honest, I though I substituted many years of Debian with Ubuntu in the last few years, I have substituted even Ubuntu by returning to Slackware in the past year. I'm a little behind on Ubuntu (and even Debian) world right now, though I hear some really cool stuff is moving forward in Ubuntu roadmaps down the line. Major releases every six months? Why, that just ain't natural...! :P

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeust
@Branthog:  

Yeap, there are exciting inovations in Ubuntu. 

Most major releases aren't all that major, just a bit of reforming the system. Though there are some changes.
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Synthballs
@Jeust: Doesn't mean much to me anyway, not really a PC gamer anyhow (I make exceptions for PopCap games. They're like crack.). Although, trying to learn Flash on a OS that can't run it natively can be a bit of a hassle.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jeust
@Synthballs:  

Yep, but you have adobe flash on windows. 

But on other hand it has better support on many languages, including c and java.