Anyone else feel like they're a year behind?

AgentZigzag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AgentZigzag

SO MANY GOOD GAMES.

Does anyone else ever feel like there are so many that by the time you get around to playing them everyone else has moved on.   While I play my fair share of games I also have a job (argh) and a wife (yay) and so don't have as much as I'd like and find that I miss half the games that come out and discover them so late that everyone else has moved on (sniff).

Most recently (that is yesterday) I finally picked up Burnout Paradise and its wicked. Only problem is that now I want to talk about it but - oh yeah - it came out almost 2 years ago and unsurprisingly most people are on to the next big thing.

My big "time suckers" this year have been:
BATMAN 
DEMON'S SOULS
COMPANY OF HEROES
WIPEOUT HD
THE ORANGE BOX
MEDIEVAL TOTAL WAR 2
SINS OF A SOLAR EMPIRE

Only 2 of them came out this year for gawd sakes!!!

I just wonder if I'll play Assassins Creed 2 before Assassins Creed 3 arrives. At this rate Fallout 4 will be in stores before I've found the time to take the wrapping off the GOTY Fallout 3.

Shouldn't complain of course - imagine the alternative... I could own a Wii and have nothing to play :D

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm with you, man. I'm far behind as well. There's just too many good games this gen, and not enough time to play them all. Also, dude... get to work on Fallout 3. Seriously, it's one of the greatest and most addicting games I've ever played. I've totally fallen in love with it.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gargantuan

It's much cheaper to be a year behind.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

Nope.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I am too far behind. This year I moved out and became a student and so have had pretty much no money to buy video games with since September. The 2 purchases I have made since I've been here are Halo 3: ODST and Brutal Legend but I still feel like I've missed so many of this years great games. Assassin's Creed 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Borderlands and Dragon Age: Origins are the 4 games I wish I could have played most this year but I haven't been able to so much as demo them. Hopefully I'll get at least one of these games as a Christmas present but I still have a lot of catching up to do.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Synthballs
@Gargantuan said:
" It's much cheaper to be a year behind. "
This.
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By beargirl1

Yup. hell, I still haven't played MGS 3 and 4 (I need to beat 2 first, but my copy doesn't like to work) 

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By raidingkvatch

I'm not that far behind but I know what you mean best of 2009 top ten list was every game I've bought that came out this year, for me it's less an issue of time and more that it's far cheaper to wait a year or two for a price drop so only games I know I'll really enjoy get bought new.

AgentZigzag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AgentZigzag
@Synthballs said:
" @Gargantuan said:
This. "
+1

Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box = £9.99

Although saying that I did pay £65 to import the special edition of Demon's Souls.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous
@Gargantuan said:
This.

I don't think I've bought a game within 6 months of its release date in the last two years.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne

I could own a Wii and have nothing to play :D

I played 30 Wii games this year and spent about four times as many hours on the Wii than I did on my 360.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Oh yes. More than a year behind sometimes. Being a poor, unemployed ex-schoolie and Australian contributes to it.

This year I bought and played through Bioshock, Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise, Portal, Half Life 2, Fallout 3, Chrono Trigger DS. Currently trying to play through the original Assassin's Creed and finishing off Trouble in Paradise.

There were a few situations where I could have bought a new title this year but picked up something older instead just because I wanted to make sure it was worth my money before wasting everything I had on a game I wouldn't play. The only games I bought this year which were released this year have been a couple of XBLA releases and Pokemon Platinum. My "GB Best of 2009" list is really just consisted of the releases of this year that I'd like to play the most, whether that be next year or a couple more years down the track.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

I haven't played Uncharted 2 yet. I have every reason in the world to, but I'm just too lazy to go pick it up... I'll probably go rememdy the situation sometime before the end of the year, though.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By JonathanMoore

I am two decades behind.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By c1337us
@Synthballs said:
" @Gargantuan said:
This. "
I know what he means. Unfortunately for impulsive spenders like me it doesn't necessarily mean cheaper, I have bought Call of Jaurez, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Wet, Prototype and Star Ocean just to name a couple off the top of my head of about 15-20 games or more  I haven't even played at all yet. Not to mention the ones I have at least managed to turn on then barely touch. I have booked nearly a months holiday at the start of next year, a fair bit of which I am sure will be used to catch up on a few.
ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

I'm a year behind and that's fine with me. MGS4, LittleBigPlanet, Gears of War 2, and I JUST bought BF: Bad Comapny.
Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gargantuan
@c1337us said:
" @Synthballs said:
" @Gargantuan said:
This. "
I know what he means. Unfortunately for impulsive spenders like me it doesn't necessarily mean cheaper, I have bought Call of Jaurez, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Wet, Prototype and Star Ocean just to name a couple off the top of my head of about 15-20 games or more  I haven't even played at all yet. Not to mention the ones I have at least managed to turn on then barely touch. I have booked nearly a months holiday at the start of next year, a fair bit of which I am sure will be used to catch up on a few. "
Hmm, that's true. I buy a lot of unnecessary games because they're very cheap. I got a lot of games that I've barely touched.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By penguindust

I'm currently all over the map!  Going against my normal rules, I am playing several games at once right now (well, you know what I mean).  Over the last 10 days I delved into Infamous, Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 2 for the 2009 releases and Bioshock, Fallout 3 and Titan Quest for the 2008 or earlier titles.  I used to have to be at the head of the pack with new games.  Playing them the first week they came out, but not so anymore.  I can enjoy a game many years after it's been lost it's hotness.  If only I could keep from buying them when they're new, too.  Well, in some cases I am doing that, but there are many others on my shelf that are largely untouched since purchase.  Some games, I've played through a good chunk, then shoved aside for something newer.  I do tend to come back in time however.  I only finished Halo 3 this past September.   Took me two years to get to the end. 

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#19  Edited By skrutop

I rarely get games when they come out, so I find myself way behind.  I just don't like paying full price for most games.  I've found that prices drop a lot faster these days too, so why would I spend $60 on a game like Assassin's Creed 2 when I can get it for $30-40 a few months later?

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By armaan8014
@AgentZigzag said:
" SO MANY GOOD GAMES.   Does anyone else ever feel like there are so many that by the time you get around to playing them everyone else has moved on.   While I play my fair share of games I also have a job (argh) and a wife (yay) and so don't have as much as I'd like and find that I miss half the games that come out and discover them so late that everyone else has moved on (sniff).   Most recently (that is yesterday) I finally picked up Burnout Paradise and its wicked. Only problem is that now I want to talk about it but - oh yeah - it came out almost 2 years ago and unsurprisingly most people are on to the next big thing.  My big "time suckers" this year have been: BATMAN  DEMON'S SOULS COMPANY OF HEROES WIPEOUT HD THE ORANGE BOX MEDIEVAL TOTAL WAR 2 SINS OF A SOLAR EMPIRE  Only 2 of them came out this year for gawd sakes!!! I just wonder if I'll play Assassins Creed 2 before Assassins Creed 3 arrives. At this rate Fallout 4 will be in stores before I've found the time to take the wrapping off the GOTY Fallout 3.  Shouldn't complain of course - imagine the alternative... I could own a Wii and have nothing to play :D "
Ive gotta concentrate on my studies for the next few months, and so i have n't bought any of the new games that came out after october. So, im playing TES iv: Oblivion.. So im with you!
moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By moelarrycurly
@skrutop said:
" I rarely get games when they come out, so I find myself way behind.  I just don't like paying full price for most games.  I've found that prices drop a lot faster these days too, so why would I spend $60 on a game like Assassin's Creed 2 when I can get it for $30-40 a few months later? "
I find myself thinking the same thing sometimes.  However, let me give you another example: I bought Batman for $60 back in August, and having beaten it 4 months ago as opposed to now was worth the extra $20 in my book.  I usually find myself waiting though.  Hell, I might get Dead Space next year!
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By dbz1995

If you don't go into the past, youll miss out on a fair few great games.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By Tordah
@Gargantuan said:
Even more so if you're three years behind... *cough*
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By toowalrus

Well, I'm getting a netbook for Christmas, and I just bought battle chests of Warcraft III, Diablo II, and Starcraft. So what does that make me?

russdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By russdog

I'll just say I put more hours into Star Ocean:The Last Hope than anything else this year, although MW2 is quickly catching up.  I haven't played Borderlands, Dragon Age, Batman:Arkham Asylum, or Torchlight...all games I desperately want to play.

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CharlieTuna
@Gamer_152 said:
"

I am too far behind. This year I moved out and became a student and so have had pretty much no money to buy video games with since September. The 2 purchases I have made since I've been here are Halo 3: ODST and Brutal Legend but I still feel like I've missed so many of this years great games. Assassin's Creed 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Borderlands and Dragon Age: Origins are the 4 games I wish I could have played most this year but I haven't been able to so much as demo them. Hopefully I'll get at least one of these games as a Christmas present but I still have a lot of catching up to do.

"
Poor guy, you got the worst two games you could have hoped for and missed out on the good ones.
GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GeekDown

I'm almost always a year behind. Mostly because I can't justify buying a game for 60 bucks.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#28  Edited By skrutop

There is an exception, though, and that's any game that I know I'll be spending at least 40-50 hours playing.  I buy a fair number of RPGs, and I don't hesitate to get them right when they're released for full price.

FrenZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FrenZi

I feel the same way sometimes. I could be enjoying some great game and then look at my shelf with all the unfinished games in it and then feel like I have some how failed them. When did it come to this worrying about not playing all the games we want to play instead of enjoying the games that we are playing?

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By crusnchill
@AgentZigzag:
I have two solution's available for you. 

1. Approach gaming at your own pace, and play them when you feel like it, not when something's the next new big thing. 

2. Get fired from your job, divorce your wife and get rid of all friend's and family. 
Then get yourself on benefit's and become a waster that all you do is play games. lol. 

I mean, I sometimes get frustrated at not being able to play as many games as I'd like. But on the other hand, I realise that if I really wanted to play them all, then I'd have to free up all of my time and get rid of all potential avenues for money to be spent on. (Friend's, family, luxorious food, general food and drink, alcohol, my girlfriend and general happiness outside of gaming.) 

I couldn't give any of that up. And I hate the idea of living off benefits that've accumulated up from taxes that were taken from somebody who makes an honest living. 
Gaming is good, and it makes me happy. But it's not the only thing there is to life. :-)
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MKHavoc

I'm the same way.  I only just finished Arkham Asylum this week and won't have Forza 3 until Christmas.  All the positive reviews for Assassin's Creed 2 have me interested even though I wasn't a big fan of the first game.  It seems like my issues with the game have been addressed.  After that I still have to get my hands on Borderlands and Left 4 Dead 2.  That's all the games I can think of now, but I'm sure there's more.  Once I get some money I should be able to catch up soon enough.

fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fallen_elite
@Gargantuan said:

That's not always true. I paid $18 for Dragon Age and $20 for Tekken 6, both new. I almost never pre-order games except for those two or three per year that I want to play right away that I already know are going to be amazing.
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By bacongames

I'm actually glad to be a year behind because this is the most recent I've been in a long time.  The reason being that this is the first year that I can purchase games from the internet (retailers are too expensive) and doing so from Amazon and Steam gets me a huge discount.  Being a year late means I can get 6 or 7 games for around $100.  I mean I got Cryostasis, Burnout: Paradise, World in Conflict, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, Grand Theft Auto IV, Killing Floor, and Fallout 3: GOTY edition for what a little over $100?

Gamers on a budget benefit from being a year late.  Next year I hope to get Borderlands, Dragon Age, Batman: Arkham Asylum, maybe Bioshock 2, and maybe Mass Effect 2.

Also any game that has DLC will likely do a special package when all the DLC is released in a year or so which is why I was able to get Fallout 3 with all the DLC for $40.  The same should be true for Borderlands and Dragon Age so I'm excited to be a year off.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By luce

I just got started on Dead Space so..yeah

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm always behind. I've bought a couple of new games, but most of the games I buy tend to be two or three years old.