• 96 results
falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

So whats your play style like when it comes to games? For me I'm a hardcore type of gamer. I like to play badass games and invest my time playing them.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Akeldama

I don't use the same branding as marketing assholes when referring to myself. I am a gamer.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By falserelic

@Akeldama said:

I don't use the same branding as marketing assholes when referring to myself. I am a gamer.

But we all are gamers. At this point its all about what type of gamer.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By zeforgotten
@Akeldama said:

Same here, nothing "harcore" or "casual" about it. Just a regular gamer like back when people used to game for fun and not to act like a massive cunt online because they think they're winning money.
BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BradBrains

I buy like a hardcore gamer play like a casual gamer. I joke with my roommate "I dont play games I just buy them"

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By falserelic

@ZeForgotten said:

@Akeldama said:

Same here, nothing "harcore" or "casual" about it. Just a regular gamer like back when people used to game for fun and not to act like a massive cunt online because they think they're winning money.

Well I'm not an asshole type of gamer. Maybe back in the day I might talk shit online for fun. But I don't do that anymore.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Akeldama

@falserelic said:

@Akeldama said:

The type that plays games and doesn't buy in to the bullshit of marketers. How's that?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By falserelic

@Akeldama said:

@falserelic said:

@Akeldama said:

The type that plays games and doesn't buy in to the bullshit of marketers. How's that?

You got me with that one.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zeforgotten
@falserelic said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Akeldama said:

Well I'm not an asshole type of gamer. Maybe back in the day I might talk shit online for fun. But I don't do that anymore.

I'm thinking more about the people who go crazy when someone, that they don't know, doesn't listen to them in online games. 
Like the LoL community (or other games in that genre) people go apeshit and start all their "I know what I'm doing, listen to me. I'm higher level than you, man!" bullshit. 
If they're that good why don't they go Pro? oh that's right, they're not even half that good 

But that is a story for another time,  
Just a game who plays a fuckload of different type of games, that is all, just to have fun :D
falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By falserelic

@ZeForgotten said:

@falserelic said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Akeldama said:

I'm thinking more about the people who go crazy when someone, that they don't know, doesn't listen to them in online games.
Like the LoL community (or other games in that genre) people go apeshit and start all their "I know what I'm doing, listen to me. I'm higher level than you, man!" bullshit.
If they're that good why don't they go Pro? oh that's right, they're not even half that good But that is a story for another time, Just a game who plays a fuckload of different type of games, that is all, just to have fun :D

Yeah the prick types of gamers. I never understood that either about some people. The people who take games way to seriously. I actually known a psn friend like that once. I'm glad I don't talk to him no more that guy was crazy.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@falserelic said:

So whats your play style like when it comes to games? For me I'm a hardcore type of gamer. I like to play badass games and invest my time playing them.

When you say you play ''badass'' games does that mean games that have lots of killing, violence, swearing and sex? because if so -

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By falserelic

@NekuSakuraba: You damn right!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Justin258

If you want to peg me into a marketing term, then yes I would be a hardcore gamer. I have a fair number of "hardcore" games, the kind that only people who are really into gaming have, and I've got a decent though not necessarily encyclopedic knowledge of current and past video games.

None of this means that I had any problems playing Peggle when I had an iPod Touch.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BradBrains

I more took hardcore and causal gamers as your investment in video games, how much you play etc. has for what kinda of games? ya I don't buy into that. I play fun ones.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By falserelic

@Darkstalker said:

I more took hardcore and causal gamers as your investment in video games, how much you play etc. has for what kinda of games? ya I don't buy into that. I play fun ones.

We all play games for fun. But we all have are own preferences.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CaLe

I don't play any games with lots of colour because they aren't hardcore enough for me. If I'm not living on the edge I'm not living at all. BALLS OF STEEL.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By falserelic

@CaLe said:

I don't play any games with lots of colour because they aren't hardcore enough for me. If I'm not living on the edge I'm not living at all. BALLS OF STEEL.

HAIL TO THE KING BABY!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blabla labels bla bla, easy enough question people.

I prefer the real games, not casual facebook or movie cash ins, I check game news before the real news so hardcore it is.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By TruthTellah

I'm both, like I'd guess most gamers to be. I have a life to lead and family; so, I don't get to play to hardcore levels. But I do play things considered "hardcore" games. I also plays games that might be considered more casual. I don't play too often, but just enough to keep up with what's going on in gaming. It's fun when I have the chance.

Honestly, so many people have different definitions of what defines hardcore and casual, it's really hard to say. If "hardcore" is playing multiplayer shooters all day, then no, but if it means sometimes playing quality titles that take some skill, then absolutely. If playing some simple games and fun mobile puzzle games is "casual", then sure, I'm that, too. It just depends on whatever fits in my life at the time. The biggest point is simply that I want to play and have games in my life. I'm a gamer.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By falserelic

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Blabla labels bla bla, easy enough question people. I prefer the real games, not casual facebook or movie cash ins, I check game news before the real news so hardcore it is.

I know right? its like some of these people are taking the question abit personal.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I play Angry Birds and I play Day Z

@falserelic said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Blabla labels bla bla, easy enough question people. I prefer the real games, not casual facebook or movie cash ins, I check game news before the real news so hardcore it is.

I know right? its like some of these people are taking the question abit personal.

No I just hate the term casual and hardcore, there is nothing "hardcore" about sitting in a dark room playing video games for the majority of your existence.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By TwoLines

I don't really like the term "gamer." I'm not really a movier, neither am I a musicer. So why should I be classified as a gamer?

Anyway, yeah. I play the "hardcore" games.

But most of us, if not ALL of us play these games. This is a video game forum. If you're posting on a video game forum, you're probably a... Sigh, a "hardcore gamer."

God, that does sound like some PR crap, doesn't it? Hardcore gamer... Man, I see a kid with a baseball hat turned sideways holding a ps2 pad when I say that.

Games are games. Does anyone listen to hardcore music? Or watch hardcore movies? Sounds like a concept invented by a teenager.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bell_End

man i'm so hardcore its crazy.

i only play games that buy me cred on internet forums. whenever i see a thread or news story about a casual game i have to post loads of comments about how crappy they are and about how much i hate them and that makes me hardcore.

only joking

i HATE all this casual and hardcore BULLSHIT. i play game i find fun whether its Angry Birds or ArmA2 if its fun i'l play it.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Tsoglani

I play whatever game i feel like playing at any given time. That said, I barely play anything aimed at the "casual market" like Wii Sports, etc, but that is just more a reflection on what I find to be entertaining and stimulating. I am also not big into COD, but enjoy a good FPS like Half Life 2 and Crysis.

And the older I have got, the less time I have to play hours and hours so my hours have definitely dropped to "casual" hours. in the end, I don't even really see the benefit of being labelled into one of two categories, at the risk of sounding like an old fart, back in the days gaming was just gaming; for fun and entertainment no matter what games you played. My belief is that "hardcore" and "casual" is only applied to hours that you game.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CaLe

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

No I just hate the term casual and hardcore, there is nothing "hardcore" about sitting in a dark room playing video games for the majority of your existence.

Then I'm sorry but we just have completely different interpretations of the word hardcore, because if doing that isn't hardcore then I don't know what is. Living on the edge, all the way to the end baby.

Oh and GUYS, I'm sorry to break it to you, but if you are a member of Giant Bomb (and especially if you are a premium member) you are the hardest of the hardcore. High five BrOsepHs ** YEAH.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TruthTellah

@TwoLines said:

I don't really like the term "gamer." I'm not really a movier, neither am I a musicer. So why should I be classified as a gamer?

Anyway, yeah. I play the "hardcore" games.

But most of us, if not ALL of us play these games. This is a video game forum. If you're posting on a video game forum, you're probably a... Sigh, a "hardcore gamer."

God, that does sound like some PR crap, doesn't it? Hardcore gamer... Man, I see a kid with a baseball hat turned sideways holding a ps2 pad when I say that.

Games are games. Does anyone listen to hardcore music? Or watch hardcore movies? Sounds like a concept invented by a teenager.

Well, you have to consider that gaming is -still- rather young. It is getting to a point of wider acknowledgement and acceptance, but "gamer" still means something. People who liked early film also talked like that. Back then, you'd say you were a fan of film. Nowadays, if you said you liked movies, people would go, "Oh? um, okay. And?" because most people like movies. It's just about what kind of movies now. For gaming, though, it isn't there yet. Playing games still isn't to that point; so, "gamer" still holds some weight. Give it another ten to twenty years, then the term won't be meaningful; instead of "Are you into games?", the question will be "What kinds of games are you into?"

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By Dagbiker

I think Keven Butler Said it best.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@falserelic said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I'm sure there's other hobbies were such words are bad examples of what is actually happening.
If people ask you if you are a big game fan, will you argue you hate the term big or little gamer? 
What people seem to be doing in these type of threads is flaunt their dicks at titles or what their understanding of a word is.

The question should be: Do you like stuff like Assassin's Creed, Mount and Blade, Call of Duty, Zelda etc?
Or do you prefer simpler games like perhaps movie tie ins, Angry Birds or such.

Then, ofcourse, we could start argueing if Assassin's Creed / Call of Duty is casual.
Mount and Blade will be considered indie and Zelda is probably called old and outdated formula.

Point is, we can rape this question ten times over and make it very hard on ourselves, since we all have different definitions or tastes when it comes to games, titles and how many hours one should/can spend, but we can also just say: Yes I'm a hardcore gamer or yes I'm a casual gamer.

Must be me.
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@CaLe said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Then I'm sorry but we just have completely different interpretations of the word hardcore, because if doing that isn't hardcore then I don't know what is. Living on the edge, all the way to the end baby.

Oh and GUYS, I'm sorry to break it to you, but if you are a member of Giant Bomb (and especially if you are a premium member) you are the hardest of the hardcore. High five BrOsepHs ** YEAH.

No hardcore to me would be like Diago from SF4 and all the people at the top level of their chosen games. I like playing games and enjoy the premium content on this site, hardcore is just a terrible term brought up by Nintendo to try to pretend that their games are worth a damn to mature gamers.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@falserelic said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Then why ask this question on a "games" site? I don't think anyone is coming here for Zynga Poker tips!

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CaLe

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@CaLe said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

No hardcore to me would be like Diago from SF4 and all the people at the top level of their chosen games. I like playing games and enjoy the premium content on this site, hardcore is just a terrible term brought up by Nintendo to try to pretend that their games are worth a damn to mature gamers.

This is hardcore

Nintendo didn't do it man, Cliff Blezinski and his massive biceps brought hardcore to the masses so all of us brO's can drink the sweet nectar. I for one bow to the genius that is the CliffMeister.

God among brO's
God among brO's
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By JasonR86

I can't fucking stand these two terms and the ideas they represent. I'm a dude who plays video games. End of story.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Jeust

I play "hardcore" games, not necessarily mature, but I play them casually, so in the end I think of myself more like a casual, light, gamer.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TruthTellah

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@falserelic said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I'm sure there's other hobbies were such words are bad examples of what is actually happening. If people ask you if you are a big game fan, will you argue you hate the term big or little gamer? What people seem to be doing in these type of threads is flaunt their dicks at titles or what their understanding of a word is. The question should be: Do you like stuff like Assassin's Creed, Mount and Blade, Call of Duty, Zelda etc? Or do you prefer simpler games like perhaps movie tie ins, Angry Birds or such. Then, ofcourse, we could start argueing if Assassin's Creed / Call of Duty is casual. Mount and Blade will be considered indie and Zelda is probably called old and outdated formula. Point is, we can rape this question ten times over and make it very hard on ourselves, since we all have different definitions or tastes when it comes to games, titles and how many hours one should/can spend, but we can also just say: Yes I'm a hardcore gamer or yes I'm a casual gamer. Must be me.

The issue is that these terms really do, as you suggested, mean different things to different people. So, as I said in my response, I would say I'm both, as I play all kinds of games, and sometimes I play them casually or in a more "hardcore" way. Though, considering how it has been used over the years, I'm really not sure what "hardcore" even means anymore. You see so many people complain that a developer is catering to the "casual", and then they tout how they are "hardcore". That's the real "flaunting their dicks" aspect of it all. And then you have advertising and publishers constantly trying to define what "hardcore" means like it's just a marketing label.

It may be obvious to you what "hardcore" and "casual" mean when it comes to being a gamer, but it isn't that simple for many other people. You don't have to insult or mock us just because we don't immediately fit with what you're saying. I'm not critical of the question because I want to show some kind of knowledge of titles or deeper understanding of words; I'm just genuinely sharing how I feel on a topic of terms that have more often than not been defined by the loudest among us or the marketing departments of the big publishers.

I don't immediately "get" what these terms mean, and my answer could have a completely different meaning depending on the original poster's personal definition of these terms. That's why I'm clarifying, and that's why I think others are, as well. We aren't out to get him or show superiority on something like this; we're expressing ourselves honestly on something that isn't immediately cut and dry with everyone. It's nice that you think it's clear as crystal, but I am here to tell you that it simply is not so black and white to every gamer.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#35  Edited By jacksukeru

I am pretty casual I guess. I don't keep up with videogame subculture or post on niche videogame forums.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bell_End

i just played song pop on my iphone... does that make me casual scum

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@RockmanBionics said:

I am pretty casual I guess. I don't keep up with videogame subculture or post on niche videogame forums.

But our extensive market demographic research shows. That you do like to visit these sites and have more than 3000 posts on video game forums. We will put you in the "hardcore" category as you probably don't have a life and only play video games. For people with more than 250 facebook friends, jobs and a sex life we will put them in the "casual" market because obviously you can only be one or the other.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CaLe

@Bell_End said:

It makes you a girl.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TruthTellah:  I'm not mocking anybody, I'm just amazed at how quick these topics always degrade into discussions on the meaning of the word.
I know its a muddy subject, personal tastes interfere quickly in these type of things.

My point being this is a question that can be branched out way too much and that its not going to help that we all have our own definition of the words.
As far as the topic is concerned however, I'm quite sure there's more than enough braincells (not an insult, really) in people's head for themselves to decide if they're casual or not.

To me, hardcore and casual are crystal clear (most of the time), but to others I can imagine it being a very shaky line.
I'm not angry or whatever at the comments however, by all means I want people to use their freedom of speech, I just hope that the original question is not lost in the disucssion that comes from it.

It might be a bit futile, because if you ask a question like this people will go into it a bit more with their own vision, but again I just hope the discussion goes anywhere then.
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NTM

Actually there are more levels than just casual and hardcore. I personally don't like the terms either, but really, there's more to it. It goes like this, from Wikipedia (though minimally edited by me):

Casual gamer: A casual gamer is a player whose time or interest in playing games is limited. Casual gamers tend to play games designed for ease of game play and don't spend much time playing more involved games. The genres that casual gamers play vary, and they might not own a specific video game console to play their games. Casual gaming demographics vary greatly from those of traditional video games, as the typical casual gamer is older and more predominantly female. One casual gamer subset is the "fitness gamer", which plays motion-based exercise games.

The term casual gamer can also be used to distinguish between play styles of level-based character advance in nonlinear games with respect to the amount of dedicated hours of play. MMORPGs may require many hours of grinding to develop a character to maximum level and reach the endgame. Other games like Eve Online and The Lord of the Rings Online try to balance leveling so that casual gamers can play along with those dedicating more hours to the game.

Mid-core gamer: A core or mid-core gamer is a player with a wide range of interests and enthusiast toward creative and diverse games, but without the amount of time spent and sense of competition of a hardcore gamer. The mid-core gamer enjoys complex games but won't buy every novel release, doesn't have time for long games, and is a target consumer that needs features not found in games for the other types. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata stated that they designed the Wii U to cater to a core gamer who is between the casual and hard-core categories.

Hardcore gamer: Hardcore gamers prefer to take significant time and practice on games, and tend to play more involved games that require larger amounts of time to complete or master. Hardcore gamers may take part in video game culture such as competitions, events and conventions. Competitions are another defining characteristic of hardcore gamers, who often compete in organized tournaments, leagues, or ranked play integrated into the game proper, an example of this is Major League Gaming, an Electronic sports organization that often holds events for hardcore First-person shooter games such as Quake. There are many subtypes of hardcore gamers based on the style of game, game play preference, hardware platform, and other preferences.

Pro-gamer: Professional gamers play video games for money. Whether a professional gamer is a subtype of the hardcore gamer largely depends on the degree to which a professional gamer is financially dependent upon the income derived from gaming. So far as a professional gamer is financially dependent upon gaming, the time spent playing is no longer "leisure" time. In countries of Asia, particularly South Korea and Japan, professional gamers are sponsored by large companies and can earn more than $100,000USD a year, in addition to the following that some obtain. In the United States, Major League Gaming has contracted Electronic Sports Gamers with $250,000USD yearly deals.

Also, many programmers are earning significant amounts of money testing these games for the various companies who are more than happy to pay for this service. Once the tester is done reviewing the game they usually get to keep the game. Allowing the testers to keep the game is no small thing as most new video games for consoles like Xbox 360 are priced at $59.99.

---

Anyways, that's as far as I need to go with that, there are more, but those are less relevant, even the pro-gamer one is somewhat irrelevant, but I still added it. Anyways, the thing to come away with is that you're missing the mid-core gamer choice.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By falserelic

@NTM: Wow I didn't know about the other terms.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bell_End

@CaLe said:

@Bell_End said:

It makes you a girl.

so be it

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By GunstarRed

I'm like The Core, all Hilary Swank and Aaron Eckhart drilling to the centre of the earth... the core-est. CORECORE!

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CaLe

@falserelic said:

@NTM: Wow I didn't know about the other terms.

Did you know about pro-gamers? You can make a living if you are good enough at a certain game. Have you ever thought about doing that?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By EuanDewar

IM MIDCORE

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Arker101

I'd consider myself an enthusiast, sure. I use to be really into competitive multiplayer, but it's just worn off on me. I still play games like Halo, COD, and Gears, but right now I'm more concerned with meaningful singleplayer and cooperative experiences.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By NTM

I think I'm in the middle of mid-core and hardcore. I think if someone said I was a casual gamer, they'd be selling me short. I don't play games competitively at all, I rarely play multiplayer. I love games though, and have a lot of them. It's a bit mixed.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TruthTellah

@TaliciaDragonsong: Again, it's really just the mistaken assumption that most people think like you, and if they don't, then they must lack brain cells, as it were. Though, it's a pretty common sentiment, especially in political and gaming circles. In this case, you may feel something is crystal-clear, but it's clearly not the case. As you said, when people mention terms like this, discussions like this pop up near immediately. That shouldn't be a critical point of other gamers but of the words themselves. They're generally rather ineffective in representing a consistent concept in the larger gaming community.

So, I think you actually had it right when you said:

"The question should be: Do you like stuff like Assassin's Creed, Mount and Blade, Call of Duty, Zelda etc?

Or do you prefer simpler games like perhaps movie tie ins, Angry Birds or such."

That's much better. Give people examples to draw a clearer idea of your real question.

Though, I'd say the best question along these lines is just "What genres of games do you prefer/like?" People almost universally understand "genres", and that can spur discussion on similar and differing interests. Games often cross over in genres, and people can discuss that without the thought of all the marketing and forum nonsense regarding who fits into what monickers.

I'm a gamer who likes all kinds of games. So, let's just talk about the kinds of games and specific examples we like, and everyone can share their own preferences. That's the best discussion to be had with this kind of topic. :)

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#49  Edited By Draugen

What defining characteristics would you attribute to each?

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mandude

If you were to ask me if I liked games, or if I really liked games, I would say I really, really like games.

The stuff often called casual games, I don't really consider games. Playing Angry Birds makes you a gamer in the same way watching cat videoson Youtube makes you a movie buff.