Are you planning to buy a next generation console?

• 125 results
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Edited By Jeust

Poll Are you planning to buy a next generation console? (532 votes)

Yes 57%
No 15%
Maybe 25%
I want to see the results! 4%

Personally I'm thinking against it. I can't see gaming get any cheeper or even equally expensive, and with the load of unethical strategies employed by both the publishers and developers to earn bigger profits, and the desire to broaden the audience of the games developed, I'm not feeling it.

What about you?

• 
DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#101  Edited By DarthOrange

@turboman said:

PS4 day one.

I also already have a Wii U..................

Same.

Also Sony has Jonathan Blow saying all sorts of nice things about the PS4; they are obviously doing something right.

Loading Video...

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

maybe when a notable fighting game ends up on one. if we wind up in some fantastical future where all fighting games get PC ports then no.

FrankieSpankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By FrankieSpankie

No -- Sticking to PC gaming, this will actually be the first generation since NES that I don't own a console. Can't believe it took me this long to fully commit to PC.

chobobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If people are put off by the PS4 and Xbox One, will they switch to a Wii U/PC combo?

thornbush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will probably get a PS4 if there are any games that i REALLY want to play, but until then i will stick to PC.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

Already have a Wii U and will most likely be getting a PS4 this holiday season.

Nivash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Nivash

I just executed a major PC upgrade so I'm a bit on the fence on this one. If I do get one, it will likely be no earlier than next summer. In that case it's either the PS4 or the One: PS4 for exclusives, the One if Microsoft actually manages to work out all of those media options (and no, I don't consider the Wii U either next generation or an option)

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The answers are kinda of limited to that question...

Am i planing to buy one right at launch? Nope

Does that mean that i will buy never one? Nope.. probably gonna buy one like a year or two after release and it looks like it's gonna be a PS4. But down the line (and with each price reduction) it's pretty likely that most people around here gonna end up with one of them or even both at some point down line.

At least if these systems manage to deliver some interesting exclusives and end up having a similar long life-cycle like the current-gen did.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#109  Edited By penguindust

Maybe. Probably. Eventually.

I have a pretty good PC that runs just about everything at max. I'm not sure I really need a new console right now. I know from past experience, the really good games don't come out until a year or so after launch. But, I am open to the possibility. If Sony or Microsoft show me something I can't get on the PC and it's something I really want, then yes. For example, if Persona 5 was only a next-gen game, then I'd buy a new console when that game came out. Knowing just what I know right now as far as games go, I can afford to wait until sometime next year.

Besides, I kind of want an Ipad and the latest version should be coming out before the new consoles.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hopefully MS and Sony continue to not care if their non-first party exclusive games go to PC. Gonna try to hold out for as long as possible.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#111  Edited By zoozilla

I'll definitely pick up either the One or PS4, but not at launch. I could probably even wait until halfway through the generation - I think I'm going to pick up a PS3 (after the PS4 launches, hopefully there'll be a price cut) and catch up on all the exclusives I missed.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Yes, assuming Microsoft doesn't fuck up E3, it'll be an Xbox One.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So far it's not looking like I will. I've started research to build my own PC, there are a bunch of PC games that aren't available for console that I really want to get, and I quite like Steam (Magicka, Medieval: Chivalry, plenty of RTS games like Sins of a Solar Empire, etc.). Also as others have said: multiplatform games will probably be coming to PC more often now. As I've become older my taste in games has become more and more focused so there are less and less exclusives that I actually care about.

A couple of months ago I never even thought I'd be considering this, but I might actually get a Wii U for Nintendo's exclusives (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros. etc.). The only other games that didn't exist for PC before that I cared about were the Souls games, and now Dark Souls exists for PC. This probably means the next installments will come out for PC too. Also modding is something I'd like to get into. It also looks like my 360 will still be useful for a while: Dark Souls II and GTAV. The only exclusives I might be missing out on are Halo, however, I've really started to lose interest in them.

Although who knows I might get one or two of them in a year or two after a price drop or a "slim" version is released. Who knows.

Summary: NO! MAYBE IN A FEW YEARS!

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. I've always been more of a console gamer, so I want to see the next gen. I'll more than likely get a PS4 day one.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Chop

My interest in gaming has severely waned over the past two years. I haven't played my consoles in at least six months and I built a new gaming PC that I barely fucking use for gaming. I think I'm done for a bit =\

Nals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Sony can actually showcase some strong games, I'll go PC/Ps4, otherwise no, I'll stick to PC.

Last gen, I got all but 1% of games on my PC, and of that 99% of games that got ported, less then a % was broken to the point I had to fiddle with the .ini/wait for a patch. Since both the Ps4/One are x64, ports will cease to exist, as everything is being made "for PCs", so that will stop being a problem entirely.

Plug and play is now more accurate to PCs then consoles, Cheapness is more accurate to PC then consoles, and I have not only the far more varied/large pool of PC exclusives, but through emulation, the entire past library of games. As a guy who likes to game on the cheap, but loves owning/having older games to go back to, PC is a godsend that I can't imagine dropping.

I might also do what I did this gen, put on blinders towards the Ps4, then in 1-2 years just splurge on a Black Friday deal, putting down $500 to grab it plus all it's major exclusives. That's what I did with the Ps3, and I didn't regret it at all. Only have around 50-60 Ps3 games, but they are all the Sony Ps3 exclusive library, rather then multiplatform stuff ( that I play in full 1080p, 60fps ).

Outside of Sony exclusives, I just can't justify consoles. I have more then enough manshooty games to care about Halo/Gears, especially since I can find games with better multiplayer on the PC. I'd want Fable 2, but not enough to buy a console for it. And other then that, I'm missing out on Shadow Complex I guess, but I can wait for a 360 emulator to play that. And on the other side of the coin, I never owned a Nintendo console growing up, so I've never played a Mario/Metroid/Zelda game, nor do I care to because I don't have that nostalgia bump.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Absolutely. I've moved to the PC out of necessity but that's not how I like to play games. I'm looking forward to having a dedicated piece of hardware for games, not to mention the exclusives (PS4 being my console of choice) that are coming.

I want a box that plays games that I never have to optimise or mess around with in order to make games work. It will be nice to get back to that.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously, there will be console exclusives, but I'm primarily a PC guy and with the architecture of both machines being closer to that of a PC than previous generations of hardware, if there is a PC version, that's what I want.

That being said, I'm also a bit of a Playstation fanboy and Sony's first party stuff will probably push me over the edge of getting a next gen system. That and the probable slew of fighting games that won't be on PC.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeust said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@jeust said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

I'll buy a new console if there are exclusive games I want to play. That's really the whole story for me.

No matter the hindrances to play it?

Hindrances? For example? Having a persistent internet connection wouldn't be an issue for me. I wouldn't be interested in playing any motion-control heavy games. I already don't partake in the used market. If I can buy a PS4, pop in a copy of Second Son and play, that's really all I'm looking for.

Yeah, and what about DLCs and season passes? The whole side-business generated around a game, to demand a few more coppers.

If it's DLC I want, I'll buy it. I don't understand why people get so upset about this stuff.

What if the game is designed around DLC? Like say Asura's Wrath, Mass Effect 3 or Blazblue 2? Games where if you avoid the DLC an important part of the game is locked to you.

If it's an important part of the game, why wouldn't I want it? I'm not concerned with how the payment works or the structure of it. I just want to play games.

What if locking important content by a pay wall becomes norm? It becomes kind of an hindrance to the pleasure of playing games.

It's a few clicks to buy the DLC. At the very worst it's a minor hindrance. It's annoying for my wallet, I guess. But not nearly enough to get in the way of games I want to play.

ok.. but what if that is just one of those monetary decisions which piles upon other anoying ones, like the regulation of the second hand market, the necessity of connecting to the internet, additional nickel and dimming...

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#120  Edited By yoshimitz707

@jeust said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@jeust said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@jeust said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

I'll buy a new console if there are exclusive games I want to play. That's really the whole story for me.

Hindrances? For example? Having a persistent internet connection wouldn't be an issue for me. I wouldn't be interested in playing any motion-control heavy games. I already don't partake in the used market. If I can buy a PS4, pop in a copy of Second Son and play, that's really all I'm looking for.

Yeah, and what about DLCs and season passes? The whole side-business generated around a game, to demand a few more coppers.

If it's DLC I want, I'll buy it. I don't understand why people get so upset about this stuff.

What if the game is designed around DLC? Like say Asura's Wrath, Mass Effect 3 or Blazblue 2? Games where if you avoid the DLC an important part of the game is locked to you.

If it's an important part of the game, why wouldn't I want it? I'm not concerned with how the payment works or the structure of it. I just want to play games.

What if locking important content by a pay wall becomes norm? It becomes kind of an hindrance to the pleasure of playing games.

It's a few clicks to buy the DLC. At the very worst it's a minor hindrance. It's annoying for my wallet, I guess. But not nearly enough to get in the way of games I want to play.

ok.. but what if that is just one of those monetary decisions which piles upon other anoying ones, like the regulation of the second hand market, the necessity of connecting to the internet, additional nickel and dimming...

I don't buy used games because I want to support the developers, I am always connected to the internet, and if a game has poorly done micro-transactions it's usually not the kind of game I want to play.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want to move on to something fresh and new, 360 and PS3 just gives me a tired feeling especially when the games start looking the same.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

Of coarse . I'm planning on buying a Wii U and PS4 this year , and the Xbox sometime later maybe ...

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeust said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@jeust said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@jeust said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

@jeust said:

@toowalrus said:

I don't buy used games because I want to support the developers, I am always connected to the internet, and if a game has poorly done micro-transactions it's usually not the kind of game I want to play.

That's my point. It becomes an assle in itself, an hindrance, to the enjoyment of the game.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

Yes but certainly not on day one. Going to wait at least a month after BOTH are out for any issues to be ironed out and so I can judge which console suits me.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Probably getting PS4 day one.

MeganeAgain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe. I will likely wait a year or two before making my decision.