Ballmer's All Apologies Over Natal Thing

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
I hate this picture, but it's the only Ballmer shot we have on the site right now.
I hate this picture, but it's the only Ballmer shot we have on the site right now.

After E3's "all rumors are true" leak-fest, it's hard not to jump on the bandwagon and get all crazy every time something about anything gets said anywhere. In this specific case, the something was "new Xbox 360 hardware next year" and the anywhere was The Executive's Club of Chicago, which is one of those weird organizations that make me think of the beginning of Trading Places whenever they're mentioned.

This, of course, all dovetailed quite nicely into the previous rumor reporting that Project Natal being would be more of a full-on new console instead of just some kind of add-on for the existing unit. So everyone jumped on board the train and we went WOO WOO for a few hours, while Microsoft started issuing denials and such.

To further that along, IGN managed to get a quote out of Steve Ballmer himself, where he straight up apologizes:

"I confused the issue with my poorly chosen words. There is no news in my comments. Things are as reported after E3. Sorry."

To some, this will close the case of the mysterious new Xbox. To others, it'll be merely another denial. Because they obviously wouldn't confirm such a thing right now... they've got a whole holiday season ahead of them, where they most certainly want to sell their existing consoles. OK, now I'm starting to get all conspiracy theory about this stuff. I don't think it's nearly that compilcated.

Why? Because a whole new piece of console hardware probably doesn't make much sense for 2010. Taking Microsoft's fancy new camera device and packing it in with the Xbox 360 and pushing it as some kind of fun-for-the-whole family Wii-like thing, however, sounds about right.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

After E3's "all rumors are true" leak-fest, it's hard not to jump on the bandwagon and get all crazy every time something about anything gets said anywhere. In this specific case, the something was "new Xbox 360 hardware next year" and the anywhere was The Executive's Club of Chicago, which is one of those weird organizations that make me think of the beginning of Trading Places whenever they're mentioned.

This, of course, all dovetailed quite nicely into the previous rumor reporting that Project Natal being would be more of a full-on new console instead of just some kind of add-on for the existing unit. So everyone jumped on board the train and we went WOO WOO for a few hours, while Microsoft started issuing denials and such.

To further that along, IGN managed to get a quote out of Steve Ballmer himself, where he straight up apologizes:

"I confused the issue with my poorly chosen words. There is no news in my comments. Things are as reported after E3. Sorry."

To some, this will close the case of the mysterious new Xbox. To others, it'll be merely another denial. Because they obviously wouldn't confirm such a thing right now... they've got a whole holiday season ahead of them, where they most certainly want to sell their existing consoles. OK, now I'm starting to get all conspiracy theory about this stuff. I don't think it's nearly that compilcated.

Why? Because a whole new piece of console hardware probably doesn't make much sense for 2010. Taking Microsoft's fancy new camera device and packing it in with the Xbox 360 and pushing it as some kind of fun-for-the-whole family Wii-like thing, however, sounds about right.

Tirrandir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Tirrandir

I don't know who actually believes there's a new console coming in 2010, but I want whatever they're drinking.  Nobody is going to release a new console anytime soon.  Certainly not in a year. 

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie

I hope this is true cause i still need a goshdarn PS3.

6n00bkilla9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By carlthenimrod
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#6  Edited By citizenkane

It just make way too much sense not to release a new console next holiday season and instead have it release in 2011.  That way, you let your franchises get in one more installment into the Xbox 360 before working on the next Xbox console. 

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By aaox

Thank Gordon, I was worried I'd have had to buy a new Xbox to be able to whack Mil- I mean, show Milo a picture of a fish.

jediautobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By jediautobot
Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#9  Edited By Lazyaza

That vid was epic. Ballmer is such a nutter. XD

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cc23574

Steve 'Ballin' Ballmer is epic.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Absurd
ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#12  Edited By ahoodedfigure

So, my Ballmer opinion hasn't really changed, then.  Dude's enthusiastic about EVERYTHING.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mordukai

LOL. funny how his apology can be related to just about anything that ever came out of that clown's mouth.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By FlipperDesert

I am still way, way not ready for a new console, especially one with just Natal as a controller, so this is good news.

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Reverseface

Ballmer should be fired for this, or beheaded not sure which one.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By End_Boss

DEVELOPERS.

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By McQuinn

In the war economy, I think a console later than soon is better for everyone.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By RHCPfan24
MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#20  Edited By MeatSim

I hope they stick to a 10 year console cycle.

_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By _Phara0h_
@Meatsim said:
" I hope they stick to a 10 year console cycle. "

Yeah and no incremental upgrades please. They can support the 360 for 12 years so long they make the new one backward compatible games wise and Natal too of course (if proven). But I won't expect a new one any time soon......

Did I say NO incremental upgrades, this is not a 200$ (new) Ipod that you can upgrade. I know their is probably no reason to panic as the rumors are probably falls, but it worry's me because the idea most have come from somewhere........
tychoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By tychoon
@6n00bkilla9 said:
" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE "
Once the video ended I said "what the fuck" out loud...
I'm all in for 10 year cycle, but a new console will probably be launched before 2015. PS3 and Xbox 360 will have new big games coming long after that will happen though.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23  Edited By natetodamax
Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24  Edited By Hector
KinjiroSSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By KinjiroSSD

I'd be that excited too if i was as rich as ballin' ballmer

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kohe321

Huh oh well

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Brendan
@KinjiroSSD said:
"I'd be that excited too if i was as rich as ballin' ballmer"

That's an awesome nickname.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Azteck

DEVELOPERS!

(I know, it's been said before, I just needed something to say)

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@McQuinn said:
" In the war economy, I think a console later than soon is better for everyone. "
Oh you mean the economic downturn.
Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Aaron_G

Who ever believed him in the first place? No signs point to a new Xbox anytime soon. 

freakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By freakin

Further proof the gaming press are brain dead.

He was talking about a Jasper esque change to the internals, it was obvious that's what he was talking about, but so many people were busy speculating whether the idiots at 1up figured something out that logic went out the window.

musdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By musdy

I can't trust a guy that sweats like he does.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zitosilva

I don't know. Though I never really thought it to be a entire new console, I thought it would be some form of upgrade. Maybe new 360's would come with a Natal in it, while it would also be sold to those that already have a 360. It makes sense to me anyway.

CrescendOtaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 32

#34  Edited By CrescendOtaku

That Balmer pic screams "WHazaaaaap!"

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By McQuinn
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @McQuinn said:
" In the war economy, I think a console later than soon is better for everyone. "
Oh you mean the economic downturn. "
Yeah, it's harsh in these tough economic conditions.
88Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By 88Fingers

Ugh! That picture of Ballmer is making me ill....

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#37  Edited By strangeling

*shrugs*

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
@Jeff said:
"

If you look closely at that picture you can see J Allard's assprint on his tongue.
seram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By seram

A new xbox 360 with built in Wii-defense stuff? Nope. Maybe a bundle though.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freakin said:
" Further proof the gaming press are brain dead.He was talking about a Jasper esque change to the internals, it was obvious that's what he was talking about, but so many people were busy speculating whether the idiots at 1up figured something out that logic went out the window. "
The huge hunger for news with these blogs just seems to make debate and speculation out of nothing.  Twitter hasn't helped.
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cheapoz

It's a new console coming in 2010 for SURE.

It's not going to replace your 360, it's just a newer, shiner, easier to market, box. Just like Natal's not gonna replace your controller, it's just a new controller.
downloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By downloaded

There's no way Natal is going to be a new console...  I don't see how anything we saw at E3 indicated anything other than the fact that it was designed to COMPLIMENT existing 360 hardware.  While I admit that Milo is pretty impressive, I'm really not all that interested in it.  It looks like a suped up version of the Wii.  I get the feeling it will be great for kids under 12 and their families, I don't think it's going to get more mature gamers to drop their controllers.  It also looks like it would be pretty uncomfortable, too; would you really prefer to hold your arms out for hours at a time while playing a racer as opposed to using a controller, or even a wheel?

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will be whatever comes after Jasper in their console models bundled with Natal.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Faint
@Pie: then go buy one. i think you'll find that (in australia at least) they've pretty muched halfed from their launch price.
Elemental_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Elemental_89

"But you wouldnt know that, cos your a big Barry White lookin motherf*****"

Ahhh Trading Places, glorious. Remember when Eddie was funny?

Sestren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By Sestren

I think we're all missing the important topic here: the atrocious name of this "project." Natal? Listen, I understand that it's supposed to be an Indian word or something, but if you have to tell us how to pronounce it correctly, wouldn't it just be better to keep it simple-- especially if the mispronunciation evokes reproductive biology rather than happy fun video game awesomeness?

This also opens the door to more horrible Gamespot headline puns. And trust me, they don't need any help with pun material. How about "Natal motion sensor's LED's blink as it enters the world"? If the project was cancelled: "Microsoft aborts Natal project." Do you see!? Will the next version of this be called Project neo-Natal? Do the puns never end?!

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Media_Master

yeah...