• 160 results
Somnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Somnus

Demons souls and/or Dark Souls. They are japanese rpgs, but probably not in the way you mean.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By mosespippy

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Captain_Felafel said:

Persona 4: Golden, mother scratchers! I don't care that it's technically from the last generation, it came out during this one, so shut up.

The original was from the last gen and the remake is from the next gen. Nothing about that game is from the current gen.

Dark Souls is the best RPG from Japan this generation but I don't think that's what the OP meant by JRPG. I haven't played any games this generation that stand out as great in the old JRPG style. I've seen some of Neir and Xenoblade Chronicles but not enough to make a judgement either way.

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By fuzzypumpkin

Lost Odyssey is definitely at the top of my list and I'm hopeful, but also damn near positive that Ni No Kuni will be amazing. That one might surpass Lost Odyssey. Valkyria Chronicles is probably my favorite RPG of this generation, but it's not a JRPG sooooo......yea.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#54  Edited By Soap

I'm looking forward to Ni No Kuni also, but for me so far it's got to be Lost Odyssey by a long way. Such a great game.

Ebany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Ebany

Tales of Vesperia, hands down!

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By The_Ruiner

Mario and Luigi 3...

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By kindgineer

I'm going to take the heat and predict the future for saying that Ni No Kuni will be the best JRPG this generation. The team behind it will (hopefully) bring the magic of the movies to the table. I'm buying a PS3 solely for that damn game - so it better.

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#58  Edited By Chemin

Probably Final Fantasy XIII. That game was superb. I'm right, everyone else is wrong. Take that. Lost Odyssey was neat, so was Eternal Sonata and Valkyria Chronicles. Although VC is more strategy than RPG.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Example1013

FF7

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By oldenglishc

@BamurDeadd said:

So this generation has fallen flat on the JRPG front, save for a few gems and the DS library. What's your favorite JRPG that came out? Xbox, PS3, PC or otherwise?

Has to be Lost Odyssey for me! Great story telling and character development and a battlesystem that just invokes nostalgia in all the right places!

This could not be further from the truth, there have been a ton of great JRPGs this generation. I played so many good ones that it's impossible to pick a favorite.

I will throw a dishonorable mention to HD Square games and any abomination that Compile Hearts shit out.

SniperXan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By SniperXan

@Canteu: Final Fantasy XIII is the source of much heated debate for myself and friends and I certainly understand the other side of the fence. But for me as a fan of the entire rest of the series I just felt that the 20+ hour tutorial then the world opening to a grind-fest just turned me right off. It remains the only Final Fantasy game in the series I have yet to complete. Even if the story is good (and it totally is) and the combat interesting (and it totally is) for me it becomes unplayable at a point and OMG THAT WHINY KID AAGAGGHGAHJKDSAHS!!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Animasta

Resonance of Fate stands out on the consoles... (I love love love Nier but I don't really count it as a JRPG) edit: also FFXIII-2, I totes forgot but that one too!

I'd probably say strange journey or devil survivor 2 on the handhelds.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By morningstar

@Prismatic said:

Radiant Historia on the DS was my favourite.

Xenoblade was amazing too and is the best I played on home consoles.

These are both excellent games.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Final Fantasy XIII-2. Nier was the first one to come to mind, but it's not really an RPG.

NinjaBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By NinjaBerd

@Slay3r1583 said:

Unpopular opinion but I loved Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2. I'm really looking forward to Victory.

I'm not counting counting Persona 4: Golden because that is mostly a remake of a last generation game.

Like you said it may be unpopular, but I loved HN Mk2 a whole lot. The game mechanics were solid, and the story was unexpectedly fun.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By neurotic

@NinjaBerd said:

@Slay3r1583 said:

Unpopular opinion but I loved Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2. I'm really looking forward to Victory.

I'm not counting counting Persona 4: Golden because that is mostly a remake of a last generation game.

Like you said it may be unpopular, but I loved HN Mk2 a whole lot. The game mechanics were solid, and the story was unexpectedly fun.

Did either of you play the first game? Or rather, do you have to to play the second? I'm considering trying one but am still on the fence.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67  Edited By rentfn
NinjaBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By NinjaBerd

I skipped the first HN, mostly because I heard the battle mechanics were broken and boring. But as far as story context goes you do not need to have played HN to understand what's going on in Mk2.

I dont really even think HN is canon to Mk2, but regardless they give you a good understanding of what is going on in Mk2.

Also, I cannot wait for HN Victory!

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Canteu

@SniperXan: I've finished all of them.

They all have whiny kids.

SniperXan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By SniperXan

@Canteu: You are not wrong there lol

It's awesome you enjoyed it, but for me personally it marked the single lowest point in JRPGs this generation. (Perhaps the fact I have not played many of them this generation has a part in that but still...)

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Petiew
@Slay3r1583: Maybe you're right. Strangely enough though the concept, characters, humour, etc are things I thought would appeal to me and caused me to buy the game. I'll give it a bit more time since apart from Gapian Field being almost an exact clone of Virtua Forest the game isn't offending my senses.
FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By FLYmeatwad

Since I also wouldn't count P4:G, as much as I would like to, I would say Radiant Historia on handhelds and Xenoblade on consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm hoping it will be Ni No Kuni for me. Gotta try that demo later.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Slay3r1583

Skip HDN 1 and just play Mk2 if you are really interested. Mk2 is basically a complete reboot.

@Neurotic said:

Did either of you play the first game? Or rather, do you have to to play the second? I'm considering trying one but am still on the fence.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By notdavid

Seeing a weird amount of love for Lost Odyssey here. Guess I never really heard a lot about that game.

It's actually kind of weird. I chose to get a PS3 over a 360 back when MGS4 came out, partly for Metal Gear, but mostly for the flood of JRPGs that I was positive would never come to the XBox. At the very least, Final Fantasy XIII was sure to be a PS3 exclusive, right?

Thinking about it now makes me feel a little bit offended. Who would've thought that the 360 would have more and better JRPGs?

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By neurotic

@NinjaBerd: @Slay3r1583: Ah, good to know. Thanks, that's probably saved me some money.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#77  Edited By Nux

@ImmortalSaiyan: I get why it gets a lot of hate but I really like it. While the battle system was kinda bad the story was really good and a lot of the side stuff was pretty good as well. When I was playing it I got really hooked.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#78  Edited By mesoian

It's still Lost Odyssey. It's the only RPG this gen I can think of that treats the player like an adult in terms of narrative.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Animasta

@Mesoian said:

It's still Lost Odyssey. It's the only RPG this gen I can think of that treats the player like an adult in terms of narrative.

what does that even mean?

bogusdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By bogusdd

Xenoblade for me

Before that I hadn't put 100+ hours into a game since FFX (Monster Arena Nemesis, need I say more)

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TWEWY or Lost Odyssey

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By mesoian

@Animasta said:

@Mesoian said:

Its story doesn't cut corners in order to appeal to the lowest common denominator. It tells the important bits well enough that you can accurately infer certain elements, and spends its time and effort focusing on emotional connections between the cast.

Compare it with Xenoblade that spends about 40% of it's story repeating the same thing over and over and over just in case you didn't get it the last 10 times, then oops! it's it wasn't important after all. Xenoblade has some of the most outrageous cases of "anime bullshit" weaved into the narrative that I've ever seen in a game period, forget about in RPG's.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Animasta

@Mesoian said:

@Animasta said:

@Mesoian said:

It's story doesn't cut corners in order to appeal to the lowest common denominator. It tells the important bits well enough that you can accurately infer certain elements, and spends it's time and effort focusing on emotional connections between the cast.

Compare it with Xenoblade that spends about 40% of it's story repeating the same thing over and over and over just in case you didn't get it the last 10 times, then oops! it's it wasn't important after all. Xenoblade has some of the most outrageous cases of "anime bullshit" weaved into the narrative that I've ever seen in a game period, forget about in RPG's.

well I quit after being saddled with two of the most annoying children characters I've ever seen (also lol at the lowest common denominator remark, always love when people do that)

and really, the only really good parts were the memories, the main story was boring and the characters were lame.

I mean resonance of fate doesn't tell you anything either really, it makes you infer things from NPC dialogue and side quests for the most part.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#84  Edited By FakeKisser

I have to admit that my favorite genre of games has always been Western RPGs...

However, there are many JRPGs that I want to play, and this thread is very helpful!

I bought The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles, but I haven't started them yet. I will be playing Ni no Kuni right when it comes out, though!

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By mwng
mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By mesoian

@Animasta said:

@Mesoian said:

@Animasta said:

@Mesoian said:

It's story doesn't cut corners in order to appeal to the lowest common denominator. It tells the important bits well enough that you can accurately infer certain elements, and spends it's time and effort focusing on emotional connections between the cast.

well I quit after being saddled with two of the most annoying children characters I've ever seen (also lol at the lowest common denominator remark, always love when people do that)

and really, the only really good parts were the memories, the main story was boring and the characters were lame.

I mean resonance of fate doesn't tell you anything either really, it makes you infer things from NPC dialogue and side quests for the most part.

Well if you quit after you got the kids, you quit like, 3 hours into the game...so you never got very far into the core narrative.

To be fair, I never played Resonance of Fate due to how terrible it's demo was (Ni No Kuni has the same problem, but I'm still pretty jazzed for that game).

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Animasta

@Mesoian said:

@Animasta said:

@Mesoian said:

@Animasta said:

@Mesoian said:

Well if you quit after you got the kids, you quit like, 3 hours into the game...so you never got very far into the core narrative.

To be fair, I never played Resonance of Fate due to how terrible it's demo was (Ni No Kuni has the same problem, but I'm still pretty jazzed for that game).

uh, I'm pretty sure the kids are in disc 2? I played that game for like 10-15 hours or something.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Word is still out on Ni No Kuni but I was really digging both Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Graces F artstyle. Probaby the Jrpg I put the most time in the last 5 years was Dragon Quest IX on DS.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By mesoian

@Animasta: ::eyebrow raise:: You get the kids after the 2nd mission. It's like...3 or 4 hours in.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Animasta

@Mesoian said:

@Animasta: ::eyebrow raise:: You get the kids after the 2nd mission. It's like...3 or 4 hours in.

it was on disc 2, i know this, so if you're saying that disc 1 was only 2 hours or something...

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By mesoian

@Animasta: You switch back and forth between disc 1 and 2 a couple times that game. Did you end up doing a bunch of secondary missions in between getting Janson and getting on Ming's boat?

Bubislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Bubislegend
@IBurningStar: I also loved XIII-2 can't really explain why.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Animasta

@Mesoian said:

@Animasta: You switch back and forth between disc 1 and 2 a couple times that game.

well I quit after I made it to some village or something.

REGARDLESS, I hated pretty much all of the characters and didn't find any of the early story machinations interesting, and I know I played for about 10-15 hours.

Also LO has some of the slowest battling this side of FFIX.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By mesoian

@Animasta said:

@Mesoian said:

@Animasta: You switch back and forth between disc 1 and 2 a couple times that game.

REGARDLESS, I hated pretty much all of the characters and didn't find any of the early story machinations interesting, and I know I played for about 10-15 hours.

I won't disagree with you there, most combat systems that revolve around the job system are pretty slow.

You should keep going with LO, it gets pretty interesting once the amnesia trope is cast off.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Ryuku_Ryosake

I'm in the Radient Historia camp with The World Ends With You as a close second. On I consoles I only played FFXIII and Disgaea 3 and 4. I really liked FFXIII so it wins on the console. But Disgaea 4 gets a special mention for Desco, the best character of the generation.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Animasta

@Mesoian said:

@Animasta said:

@Mesoian said:

I won't disagree with you there, most combat systems that revolve around the job system are pretty slow.

You should keep going with LO, it gets pretty interesting once the amnesia trope is cast off.

well I'm pretty sure one of my discs is cracked so I don't think that's going to happen (at least that's what the gamestop guy said when I tried to trade it in)

xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#97  Edited By xshinobi

Resonance of Fate. I can't believe Sega released that on the day as FFXIII. Even tho RoF is a far better game than FFXIII, Sega pretty much sent it out to die.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#98  Edited By Scrawnto

I'm going to go with Persona 4, because fuck it. It came out after Lost Odyssey anyway!

And people saying Vita is a next generation platform: What? It's on the market. That makes it current. It's even contemporary with Nintendo's handheld. You can't have devices out from all the major players and still call them next generation.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Animasta

@Scrawnto said:

I'm going to go with Persona 4, because fuck it. It came out after Lost Odyssey anyway!

And people saying Vita is a next generation platform: What? It's on the market. That makes it current. It's even contemporary with Nintendo's handheld. You can't have devices out from all the major players and still call them next generation.

but then the DS and PSP don't count

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#100  Edited By jaycrockett

I think I only played 2 JRPG's this generation, Infinite Undiscovery and FF13. Liked 13, didn't like Infinite Undiscovery.

Does Crimson Shroud count? Cause that game is awesome.