Best Soundtrack of the Generation - Finals

• 130 results
Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Best Soundtrack of the Generation - Finals (498 votes)

Bastion 31%
Hotline Miami 47%
Mass Effect 12%
Mass Effect 2 10%

The winner after 3 PM EST on Dec 5th will be crowned as the Giant Bomb community's best soundtrack of the generation.

• 
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By Brendan

Super Mario Galaxy, Nier, Journey, and Xenoblade are all soundtracks I think should be in this instead so I have zero investment.

abara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

the correct answer is FEZ

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#53  Edited By Yummylee

lol

Though I really like the soundtrack to the original Mass Effect, so I was pretty comfortable in giving that one my vote. Not going to win it seems, but eh. Least it's beating out Mass Effect 2.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#54  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Maybe I'm just bitter that Bastion is losing, but I just went and listened to like a half an hour of the Hotline Miami soundtrack and I'm really not digging it. It seems kind of like a perfect storm of "I was alive during the 80s and hell yeah electronic music" which explains why its so popular with video game fans. Just ehh... Bastion and Nier are both way better.

Even though I really like the Hotline Miami soundtrack, I agree that both Bastion and especially Neir are better. It's just a forum game though, so I'm not too taken aback by the results.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What.The.Fuck

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@hunter5024 said:

Maybe I'm just bitter that Bastion is losing, but I just went and listened to like a half an hour of the Hotline Miami soundtrack and I'm really not digging it. It seems kind of like a perfect storm of "I was alive during the 80s and hell yeah electronic music" which explains why its so popular with video game fans. Just ehh... Bastion and Nier are both way better.

Even though I really like the Hotline Miami soundtrack, I agree that both Bastion and especially Neir are better. It's just a forum game though, so I'm not too taken aback by the results.

Yeah me neither. Just kind of a shame.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This were the finals? Really. Hotline Miami is going to take it. I am fine with that, though I would have prefered Bastion or FEZ. But ME?

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congratulations, Hotline Miami. At least you're not Mass Effect 2.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Mass Effect 1 has a sublime soundtrack that's very synth heavy and really different from all the orchestral stuff you hear in most games this generation. ME2, not so much.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Giant bomb users really like Mass Effect. The ME2 soundtrack was really good, but it feels like maybe both games being on there is more to due with people's love of the game as a whole more than it's soundtrack.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I was halfway expecting to see the options be Mass Effect, ME2, ME3, and Hotline Miami.

I don't even remember what the soundtrack was like for the Mass Effect games. Totally forgettable.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mb said:

I was halfway expecting to see the options be Mass Effect, ME2, ME3, and Hotline Miami.

I don't even remember what the soundtrack was like for the Mass Effect games. Totally forgettable.

I'm honestly surprised Dark Souls didn't somehow make an appearance.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By BisonHero

Mass Effect 1 has like 3-5 phenomenal tracks, and then a bunch of merely pretty good background synth tracks. It's kind of appalling that Super Meat Boy didn't make it. I mean, 2 indie games + 2 big budget games is a good mix, I guess, but Mass Effect 2's music is pretty fucking standard heroic fare, and even Mass Effect 1 I'm really only onboard with because of Vigil and the Galaxy Map song.

I'm beginning to think nobody on those forums played any games other than the Mass Effect trilogy.

Tblockkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disappointing list. Where is Nier :(

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disappointing list. Where is Nier :(

In our hearts.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Yikes. Hotline Miami is the obvious winner among these choices, but that's not much competition. Journey, Fez, and Super Meat Boy could give it a run for its money, and I'd probably pick Journey. Super Mario Galaxy, Nier, Xenoblade, and Bastion a solid tier 2 list.

But the Mass Effects? Really? There's like one memorable song per game and then some nice ambient music to explore the galaxy by. I've listened to every other soundtrack I mentioned dozens of times.

Turkalurch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go Hotline Miami!

Sorry other duders your favorites weren't on there.

I still listen to this sound track every so often. Even got my wife into it even though she barely plays video games.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#69  Edited By recroulette

Wow, you all must really have loved those 2 songs made specifically for Hotline Miami.

Edit: Just to be clear, I voted for Hotline Miami.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is fantastic.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#71  Edited By falconer

Lolwat. TWO Mass Effect games before any Halo game? Yeah, okay...

PS - Voting for Bastion because I prefer acoustic guitars over techno.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Berserker976

I can't in good conscience vote in a soundtrack of the generation poll that has TWO Mass Effect games on it.

Dew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Dew

Okay so this is the first I've seen of this voting tournament thing, but where the fuck is FEZ?

EDIT: Just saw it lost out in the semis... Shame on you people.

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#75  Edited By csl316

@bisonhero said:

Mass Effect 1 has like 3-5 phenomenal tracks, and then a bunch of merely pretty good background synth tracks. It's kind of appalling that Super Meat Boy didn't make it. I mean, 2 indie games + 2 big budget games is a good mix, I guess, but Mass Effect 2's music is pretty fucking standard heroic fare, and even Mass Effect 1 I'm really only onboard with because of Vigil and the Galaxy Map song.

I'm beginning to think nobody on those forums played any games other than the Mass Effect trilogy.

Super Meat Boy, for all its great aspects, really does feature some of the best music around. It's kind of silly how often I'll just put on Betus Blues for no reason.

And I liked the Mass Effect music, although within the context of the game. The galaxy map is the only one I'll turn on outside of the game (and maybe the end theme).

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#76  Edited By crithon

it's pretty obvious

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#77  Edited By ESREVER

None of these deserve "Soundtrack of the Generation"

Bastion has some good songs, but its not worthy of that title. Hotline Miami is so ridiculously overrated to me in terms of gameplay and music. I can't even remember a song from the ME series. Bastion is the closest out of all these, but definitely would not be my pick, or in my top5 for soundtrack of the gen.

I'm sorry Nier, you were robbed of the one title that should have been rightfully yours.

I'm disappointed in you GB community. Now have this video of Kaine yelling. Replace Weiss with Giantbomb in your head please

Loading Video...

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All these "____ of the generation" finals are so disappointing lol

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@brendan said:

Super Mario Galaxy, Nier, Journey, and Xenoblade are all soundtracks I think should be in this instead so I have zero investment.

Pauper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm happy for Hotline Miamis soundtrack even if it's not created for the game it fits the game beautifully. Perhaps the game was created to fit the music. I wish Lords of Shadow was on here but understand orchestral scores aren't very agreeable with forum duders. Also Gone Homes' GH:OST is nifty.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Well I was going to brute force Hotline Miami the whole way just cuz, but you went and made it too easy.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#82  Edited By KaneRobot

Holy crap, Mass Effect made it. I was going to stick with Hotline Miami all the way through, but that's just because I thought there would be no way in hell Mass Effect would make it to the end. ME won't win, but voting for that without hesitation.

LOL at the "WELL, THAT'S THE GIANT BOMB COMMUNITY FOR YA" "this poll is worthless because (Shitty Game X) I like isn't in it" and "wah, my favorite game isn't here so I'm not voting" people. It's just a user-created poll, if it bothers you that much write a blog post or make your own list. It's just as valid.

If anything, you kiddies with your panties twisted over Mass Effect being in the poll should be glad that 1 & 2 are both in there, it pretty much guarantees neither one will win since people with an affinity for both games will be split.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

LOL at the "WELL, THAT'S THE GIANT BOMB COMMUNITY FOR YA" "this poll is worthless because (Shitty Game X) I like isn't in it" and "wah, my favorite game isn't here so I'm not voting" people. It's just a user-created poll, if it bothers you that much write a blog post or make your own list. It's just as valid.

If anything, you kiddies with your panties twisted over Mass Effect being in the poll should be glad that 1 & 2 are both in there, it pretty much guarantees neither one will win since people with an affinity for both games will be split.

Nice way to take the low road.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I've been considering making a parody thread of all this bullshit for some time, but I think that moment's passed.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flappy said:

Mass Effect

Mass Effect 2

What?

No kidding. How anyone can vote for those games when freaking BASTION is listed there is beyond me.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By TheHT

@video_game_king: It would also have to walk a fine line between funny and so salty it's sad.

VeggiesBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for Hotline Miami. But it was really between that, or Bastion for me. Though, as others have said. WHAT???

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Know what? I'd accept the first Mass Effect's place on this list. Maybe people haven't played it recently, but it's way heavier on the dark synth than either of its sequels and benefits because of it. Mass Effect 2? Not as much.

But I still think (X Game that others have previously mentioned) should've probably ended up on here too. So... Hotline Miami.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#89  Edited By Nekroskop

@video_game_king said:

@clonedzero said:

I've been considering making a parody thread of all this bullshit for some time, but I think that moment's passed.

The fact that Mass Effect !-->2<--! won over Dark Souls as Game of the Generation blew my mind. A dull, mundane space shooter with waifus won over the second installment of a series that perfected what the previous one fell short off and pretty much breathed new life into ,the back then dead, interest in hardcore games.(which had mostly been missing since the middle of this generation)

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Hotline Miami I guess. It probably adds the most to the game experience of the choices.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what is with all the Mass effect? I swear sometimes I think I am in a Bioware fan forum. And then it is not even the good game Bioware made this generation.... Or is this Mass Effect thing some kind of inside joke I do not understand?

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By JohnTunoku

The only Mass Effect soundtrack I actually liked was 3... Man... this list.... I just... What is wrong with everyone?

Bastion? I guess?

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like both Bastion and Hotline Miami soundtracks......I guess I'll go with Bastion though in this list.

I would've gone with Super Mario Galaxy though. That soundtrack was just incredible. This song in particular just puts a big stupid smile on my face every time I listen to it.

Loading Video...

mrmanga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is Ocarina of time not on this list?

jasbir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmanga said:

How is Ocarina of time not on this list?

It's linked to a past generation.

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#98  Edited By MjHealy

Why is Mass Effect 2 on this list? No matter, Hotline Miami wins this list AND EVERY SOUNDTRACK POLL EVER.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the Hotline Miami soundtrack is made up of songs by recorded artists and not made JUST for the game. I had to go with Mass Effect.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#100 gamer_152  Moderator

I was tempted by Mass Effect 2 on this one, but went with Hotline Miami. Some of Mass Effect 2's best moments like the ending or the reveal of the new Normandy owe a lot to the fantastic music that went with them, and the echoey futuristic synths of the game helped create quite a bit of the atmopshere, but a lot of the soundtrack was fairly low-key and not that notable. Hotline Miami however was just amazing tracks top-to-bottom. They're really well-made, insanely catchy, and help add to the 80s feel and deliberate surreal disjointedness of the game.