Brad Shoemaker says the day of AAA launch titles is over. Why?

• 66 results
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#51  Edited By Little_Socrates
@528seven said:
@ghost_protocol said:

I cannot imagine the Wii 2  launching without a blowout title.

Really?Nintendo hasn't cared about system-selling launch games since the N64 (and considering how the N64 launched with literally 2 games, maybe that's a good thing)Personally I can't imagine Cafe launching with anything bigger than Mario Kart.
And Twilight Princess CERTAINLY wasn't an attempt at all! Neither was Wii Sports. Or PS3's Resistance, or 360's Call of Duty 2 console port (excellent fucking game, for some reason the press seems to forget it launched with the system.)

I guarantee consoles will continue to launch with Triple A titles. Handhelds might not, but consoles? Absolutely.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By ryanwho

The idea was getting the hardware out is more important than waiting for a perfect lauch game to coincide with it. Apparently you don't need a launch game anymore, that was just something people assumed for a while. But consoles do just fine without one.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Shadow

Because no one wants to put that much time, energy, and most importantly, money on an amazing game for a system which it's very possible no one will buy.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ryanwho
@iAmJohn said:
@Scarlet_Rogue said:
@ghost_protocol said:
Really? Cause the Gamecube launched without one.
Uh... Melee?
Also the Luigi game, so Nintendo was still flirting with the idea that some kind of big product needs to come out day one, back then. But that was their last failed console, it shouldn't be surprising that they don't follow that model anymore considering it where they were after that.
Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue
@ryanwho: I actually really wanted the Luigi game to be an awesome blowout title, but then I played it. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't something to write home about, unless your writing "um....it was ok..."

and just to add on what @MysteriousBob said, Melee was not a launch title.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56  Edited By Dalai
@Little_Socrates said:
@528seven said:
@ghost_protocol said:

Really?Nintendo hasn't cared about system-selling launch games since the N64 (and considering how the N64 launched with literally 2 games, maybe that's a good thing)Personally I can't imagine Cafe launching with anything bigger than Mario Kart.
And Twilight Princess CERTAINLY wasn't an attempt at all! Neither was Wii Sports. Or PS3's Resistance, or 360's Call of Duty 2 console port (excellent fucking game, for some reason the press seems to forget it launched with the system.)

I guarantee consoles will continue to launch with Triple A titles. Handhelds might not, but consoles? Absolutely.
I agree. Nintendo even made sure they didn't make the same mistake they did with the Gamecube and launch with Luigi's Mansion... a decent game, but nothing great. They moved Twilight Princess to the Wii solely to sell the system. However in the case of Wii Sports, it's not really of AAA quality as we gamers tend to classify those types of games, but it definitely counts as a system seller. And the same with the PS3 and 360. You gotta have at least one great title to start just to show off the console and have a reason to buy one.
Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@Little_Socrates said:
@528seven said:
@ghost_protocol said:

And Twilight Princess CERTAINLY wasn't an attempt at all! Neither was Wii Sports
They were putting out Twilight Princess anyway. It wasn't created to be a launch game. Wii Sports was one step up from a tech demo, and as such probably cost them very little money or time to produce. Doesn't apply to the question.
AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By AnimalFather

eh didnt that happen like 3 generations ago.
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#59  Edited By recroulette

Luigi's Mansion wasn't bad, but it wasn't top tier.

Wii had Wii Sports, while arguably the best use of the system's controls, wasn't AAA by any means. 

boylie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#60  Edited By boylie

Too much money, too small an install base to recoup costs. 

Theeeee end.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By MikkaQ

Because it hasn't happened much, if at all after the Xbox launched with Halo.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By penguindust

I'm not entirely convinced since we haven't had a new console released in sometime.  I believe there still needs to be a "system seller" for a new console or word of mouth doesn't spread urging other potential customers to take the plunge and upgrade.  If that's not a "AAA" title then I don't know what it is.  Playstation 3 launched with Resistance: Fall of Man, the Xbox 360's big hit for Call of Duty 2, and the Wii had it's pack-in game, Wii Sports.  Okay, the last example might not be a "AAA" game, but it served its purpose of exciting customers with its new control system.  The new Nintendo platform seems to be more traditional than the Wii, so it will need something to attract the common man as well as the experienced gamer.   Will it be a Mario, Metroid or Zelda game?  I don't know, but they will need something more than the hardware itself.  Traditional game systems advertise themselves best by exhibiting brilliant graphics and explosive action.  Improved graphics are the easiest thing to illustrate to the average man-on-the-street.  Now, day-and-date launch "AAA" games might be unnecessary, but something inside a three month period that compels someone to buy the expensive system must be available and it must be widely known. 

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By Sooty

Resistance wasn't AAA at all though, a pretty average series by all means and it brought nothing new.

Didn't even have vibration back then.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By captain_clayman

because people will buy it anyways.  plus handheld games take longer to make these days.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#65  Edited By sarahsdad

I think it also depends just how badly the console manufacturer wants/needs people to move from one gen to the next.

With the 3DS, you figure Nintendo doesn't feel like they needed to have a huge game at launch. maybe if the PSP had been/is/was more competition, they would have felt different.
I expect the same thing happened with the launch of the 360; MS felt like they really needed something special to sell people on the 360 over the original Xbox, and get them away from the PS2.
I'm not sure if numbers bear it out, but it feels like the 360 is roughly where the PS2 was at the end of the last generation:
-They've got an essentially unreachable lead in the install base.
- (I assume) MS is making money on each console they sell.

If they were to launch a new console in the next 12 months, then yeah, I don't expect they would feel a need to have some big title right at launch.
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#66  Edited By monkeyking1969

I think you can turn it around and say, games are different.  There used to be the Triple-A games, B-Level games and then the drek-ish junk that was most games.  There were not much fine divisions of quality in the 8-bit and 16-bit era.  Therefore, what we think of as a Triple-A title is now more thoughtfully analyzed and considered. A Triple-A title is not the best game of any given year anymore, what is AAA must now actually be very good as judged against some of the best games ever in the last five or six years.  Today games are better, there are more games, and thus a Triple -A games is one that is really head and shoulders above the last three or four years of games not just the last six months of games.

The second thing at works is even the first party studios need time to get acquainted with the hardware so their best work; i.e. the truly Triple-A titles are those where the hardware is just starting to be understood and the tricks to get more out of the machine are known.

The bar is higher, the standards more refined, and the need to code 'to the metal' even more rigorous.