Button mapping enabled games for the disabled

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Edited By eroticfishcake

I generally don't do petitions since most of them are either a little silly or just rather pointless given how most corporations generally just don't care what their customers say so "lol internet petitions" comments aside, here's the gist of it (courtesy of Tom Senior from PCGamer.com) 

Source

A disabled gamer has explained that he’s unable to play Dead Space 2 thanks to a lack of button mapping features in the game. Gareth Garratt has cerebral palsy, and uses his head to control a mouse or controller when playing games. The inability to map any movement controls to his mouse means that he can’t play Dead Space 2. A petition has been launched asking EA to add key mapping functionality to the game. It’s already received more than 22,000 signatures.

Gareth posted about his situation when looking for a solution on the Overclockers forums, and has had hundreds of responses. “i can’t use my hands, so i game using my chin. for disabled people like myself need fully customisable controls in all games, it can’t be that hard to do surely?? If they can have the fire assigned to a mouse button, surely they could of assigned walk forward to a mouse button… so now I can’t play this game and i wasted £25.”

Gareth also posted a video demonstrating the way he uses the mouse to play Fallout: New Vegas, and has highlighted a petition started by disabled gamer and comedian, Chuck Bittner, also known as AskACapper. The petition asks developers for full button customisation in all games. Button customisation would help many disabled gamers, and it’s a feature that, like dedicated servers and mod support, gives us all more control over the way we want to play our games. The petition already has more than 22,000 signatures. You can sign it here.

Here's the video mentioned in the article.

As I said before, I don't think internet petitions are worthwhile but given the circumstances of this I think we should at least try to make a good change, not just for Gareth but for disabled gamers everywhere. I'm a totally able-bodied person myself but even I would really appreciate button mapping in any game regardless of the platform it's on. 

So what are your thoughts on this? 

UPDATE: Visceral Games are aware of this situation and are already working on a patch (cheers to Slaker117 for the update.) As well as button mapping, the patch will also fix some bugs. Looks like Gareth caught wind of this and naturally he's pretty happy. So kudos to Visceral Games for doing this. That aside, the petition is still valid considering how it wants to cover ALL games so sign away folks.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By eroticfishcake

I generally don't do petitions since most of them are either a little silly or just rather pointless given how most corporations generally just don't care what their customers say so "lol internet petitions" comments aside, here's the gist of it (courtesy of Tom Senior from PCGamer.com) 

Source

A disabled gamer has explained that he’s unable to play Dead Space 2 thanks to a lack of button mapping features in the game. Gareth Garratt has cerebral palsy, and uses his head to control a mouse or controller when playing games. The inability to map any movement controls to his mouse means that he can’t play Dead Space 2. A petition has been launched asking EA to add key mapping functionality to the game. It’s already received more than 22,000 signatures.

Gareth posted about his situation when looking for a solution on the Overclockers forums, and has had hundreds of responses. “i can’t use my hands, so i game using my chin. for disabled people like myself need fully customisable controls in all games, it can’t be that hard to do surely?? If they can have the fire assigned to a mouse button, surely they could of assigned walk forward to a mouse button… so now I can’t play this game and i wasted £25.”

Gareth also posted a video demonstrating the way he uses the mouse to play Fallout: New Vegas, and has highlighted a petition started by disabled gamer and comedian, Chuck Bittner, also known as AskACapper. The petition asks developers for full button customisation in all games. Button customisation would help many disabled gamers, and it’s a feature that, like dedicated servers and mod support, gives us all more control over the way we want to play our games. The petition already has more than 22,000 signatures. You can sign it here.

Here's the video mentioned in the article.

As I said before, I don't think internet petitions are worthwhile but given the circumstances of this I think we should at least try to make a good change, not just for Gareth but for disabled gamers everywhere. I'm a totally able-bodied person myself but even I would really appreciate button mapping in any game regardless of the platform it's on. 

So what are your thoughts on this? 

UPDATE: Visceral Games are aware of this situation and are already working on a patch (cheers to Slaker117 for the update.) As well as button mapping, the patch will also fix some bugs. Looks like Gareth caught wind of this and naturally he's pretty happy. So kudos to Visceral Games for doing this. That aside, the petition is still valid considering how it wants to cover ALL games so sign away folks.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dalai

I can approve of this petition. 

I just approve in button mapping in general, not just because it benefits the disabled.

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Waffles13

Not to sound awful, but I don't think that this really warrants a petition or a patch. Yes, it sucks for a few disabled individuals, but there's a reason games have predefined control layouts. Sure, PC games should let you go nuts with customization, but expecting devs to program mouse movement controls into an action game is a little absurd.

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Interfect

I already signed this... like a long time ago or something. I'm bummed it hasn't done anything since then.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Tireyo

My thoughts are absent from my own mind. I don't know how I do it!!

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By tourgen

Yeah that's pretty terrible.  It's trivial to add customization to game controls.  Really once the team has done it once it takes almost no effort to add it to the next game.  But they don't.  Because every dev hour is $$ and they don't really care about the tiny minority that wants or needs them.

Maybe he could work out a system with custom HID drivers for the mouse and keyboard?  I haven't heard of anything out there but I really haven't looked either.  It would solve the problem in all games.  Might even be able to sell it.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By infininja
@Waffles13 said:
" Not to sound awful, but I don't think that this really warrants a petition or a patch. Yes, it sucks for a few disabled individuals, but there's a reason games have predefined control layouts. "
 What reason is that? I think it's ridiculous when games don't have customizable controls, regardless of platform.

@Waffles13 said:
" expecting devs to program mouse movement controls into an action game is a little absurd. "
All he wants to do is map forward (commonly the W key) onto right click or one of the other buttons he has on top of his mouse. This is nothing more than allowing simple key bindings. They wouldn't have to develop a whole new control scheme.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zeforgotten

Signed this a long time ago but It still makes me smile a little when I see it.  
Then it makes me sad when I realize that nothing has been done so far

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By crusader8463

I just don't understand how it's not a feature in all games by default. It drives me nuts when I play games where I just want to remap one or two buttons and can't! Although this is mostly just a problem with console games and bad PC ports, but it's still annoying never the less.  

The instance of this that sticks out in my mind the most is with Killzone 2. I recently played it for the first time, and it took me until about half way through the game before I felt even remotely comfortable with the controls. Even by the end of the game I just felt like I was starting to get my head around them, but then the game was over and it was too late. Though to be fair, I'm a PC guy and as a general rule of thumb hate playing all shooters on a controller, but I never had this much of a problem when I played MW and Halo for the first time.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Slaker117
CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CaptainObvious
@RiotBananas said:
" Why is he sitting inside playing games when he should be out making the most of what time he has by seeing the world? "
Ask yourself the same question.
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By monkeyking1969

It should be standard that you can remap all of your controls.  There are a lot of people with movement injuries in the world and spending a bit fo time to makes games just a 'tiny bit easier' to control would be well worth it for ALL gamers.  This isn't a question of can't be done, it being too hard, or too expensive...this is just a case of developers not thinking about it.

1nfinitum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By 1nfinitum
@RiotBananas: Just because he has Cerebral Palsy doesn't mean he's not a human being without personal preferences and opinions.  Why don't you spend your life traveling?  Probably because you don't have the money or you don't want to.  He's just another gamer who enjoys him some vidja gaems; seeing the world is probably something he doesn't care to do, just like most gamers.
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#16  Edited By Grumbel

Here is the thing: I think such a petition is valuable, but it really should be directed at the creators of the OS, not just the game makers. A lot of input mappings issues could be solved trivially in the OS itself, but instead of providing solid remapping support for input devices from the ground up, Windows depends on third party mouse and joystick drivers to add that functionality  in, which I consider rather stupid, since its such an easy thing to fix and hardware specific drivers are always a mess (sometimes buggy, often not supported by newer OS versions, etc.).

Now of course there are some input issues neither the OS nor driver can fix, you can't play say the mouse-driven Mass Effect with a gamepad and get the same experience as you would get on the console, the UI is just to different for that and that is an area that the game makers have to fix, but simply remapping is really trivial to do at the OS level.

Speaking of which: Does anybody have a complete list of homebrew software out there that attacks the issues? Joy2Key, XPadder, GlovePie, etc.?

PS: I have written such a (not yet as generic as it should be) input remapper for Linux, in case anybody needs one.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RE_Player1
@RiotBananas said:
" @1nfinitum said:
" @RiotBananas: Just because he has Cerebral Palsy doesn't mean he's not a human being without personal preferences and opinions.  Why don't you spend your life traveling?  Probably because you don't have the money or you don't want to.  He's just another gamer who enjoys him some vidja gaems; seeing the world is probably something he doesn't care to do, just like most gamers. "
Even as a gamer, if I had Cerebral Palsy and my fucking brain was failing me, I'd want to go and see everything before I died. You have plenty of money too what with the benefits and shit. "
Are you joking? Please for the love of god tell me this is some sick joke? Did it ever cross your mind that he likes playing video games? Just because you saw a video of him playing a video game dos not mean that is all he does in life and even if the majority of his free time is spent playing video games why should you condemn him for it? If you were diagnosed with an illness I'm sure you would want people telling you how to live your life. How is seeing everything living life? That may be your goal in life, which is 100% fine because IT'S YOUR LIFE,  but his maybe to have fun from time to time and he gets that out of video games. 
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RE_Player1
@RiotBananas: I welcome different opinions but you are just basically telling this person that his life is meaningless unless he goes out and travels the world... Hey instead of fucking wasting your time on GB and traveling why don't you really live your life and become a teacher and you know actually help society by educating our youth. See how stupid that sounds? Just because living my life means becoming a teacher doesn't mean I should condemn your choices in life because they are different than mine especially when those choices affect no one but yourself, like this young man's choice to have gaming as a hobby. 
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RE_Player1
@RiotBananas said:
" Why is he sitting inside playing games when he should be out making the most of what time he has by seeing the world? "
Yes you didn't type his life is meaningless but with this comment your basically saying why the fuck isn't he outside of the house going around Europe? When your at "death's door" and you want to travel you can go right on ahead, I hope you do as your obviously show a great interest in traveling. Just because you think video games are a waste of time doesn't mean he does. Don't tell people what to do in life especially if they are in a situation you can't even imagine, if you do your just being a douche. 
Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Juno500
@RiotBananas said:
" @RE_Player92:  I didn't say his life was meaningless anywhere. I merely said if I was at deaths door I wouldn't be playing games. I already think I'm wasting my time playing games, so playing them when I have a life threatening illness is just even more of a waste. In my opinion. I'd do as much stuff as possible, assisted sky diving, all that cliché stuff. Not complaining about Dead Space 2 controls. "
....what makes you think he is at death's door?
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I'm not disabled, and hopefully I never will be, but I often wish that more games offered button mapping, because there's really no excuse not to in this day and age. 

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1nfinitum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By 1nfinitum
@RiotBananas:  You may not realize it but what you've already said has an arrogant air to it that trivializes this mans life unless he were to do something with it that YOU see fit.  He may be perfectly content with his life and how he is spending his time, but just because you aren't doesn't mean he's doing it wrong.  The last thing you want to do is tell a man who's dying how he should live his life; you think it will make him feel any better?
Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Juno500

Seriously guys, I don't see anywhere in the story where it says this guy is dying. Cerebral palsy isn't necessarily a fatal disorder.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RE_Player1
@Juno500: Yeah I know, I guess RiotBananas assumes he's dying. People can live long lives with cerebral palsy. 
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By eroticfishcake

Just an update. Visceral Games are already hard at work at a patch so kudos to them. Cheers to Slaker117 for the heads up. Also, Gareth is aware of this in case anyone was wondering. 

Either way, the petition is still valid considering it covers all games rather then DS2 specifically. In other words, sign it if you want to.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#30  Edited By wefwefasdf
@RE_Player92 said:

" @Juno500: Yeah I know, I guess RiotBananas assumes he's dying. People can live long lives with cerebral palsy.  "

Arguing with Bananas is a waste of time. I've seen how he acts in other threads...

I signed the petition forever ago. Still hoping they start implementing it more.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RE_Player1
@eroticfishcake: Also it looks like Gareth will be interviewed by PC Gamer magazine for a feature story. 
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By eroticfishcake
@RE_Player92: That'll be interesting to read. Not surprised either given the fact that Gareth and PCGamer are situated in the UK.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RE_Player1
@RiotBananas said:

" Again, I'm not telling him how to live his life you morons. I'm just saying that's not how I'd do things if I was in his condition. Christ, just because I didn't say "I signed, he's such an inspiration" don't tell me I'm insinuating things I'm not. "

Really cause your first post sounded like you were confused to why he plays game and isn't living his life?  

@RiotBananas said: 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CL60
@RiotBananas said:
" @RE_Player92 said:
" @RiotBananas said:

" Again, I'm not telling him how to live his life you morons. I'm just saying that's not how I'd do things if I was in his condition. Christ, just because I didn't say "I signed, he's such an inspiration" don't tell me I'm insinuating things I'm not. "

Really cause your first post sounded like you were confused to why he plays game and isn't living his life?  

@RiotBananas said: 

"
But that's MY view? and I stated my OWN opinion, which is perfectly acceptable no matter what you think it means. So get off your high horse and shut the fuck up. "
You clearly stated that he shouldn't be playing games. You're in the wrong on this one.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CL60
@RiotBananas said:

" @CL60 said: 

You clearly stated that he shouldn't be playing games. You're in the wrong on this one. "

BUT THAT'S MY VIEW! JUST BECAUSE I THINK HE SHOULD BE DOING MORE AWESOME THINGS THAN COMPLAINING ABOUT A FUCKING GAME HE CAN'T PLAY DOESN'T MEAN I'M WRONG.  An opinion cannot be wrong.  Sometimes I wonder why I bother. I should just stick to saying "Duder" and "<>" and "Batman derp"    Urgh.     "
Yes an opinion can be wrong. You thinking telling a disabled person that he shouldn't be playing games and he should be going outside is the right thing to do is the wrong "opinion". It's just insulting to him, and rude.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Slaker117
@RiotBananas said:
" @CL60 said: 

You clearly stated that he shouldn't be playing games. You're in the wrong on this one. "

BUT THAT'S MY VIEW! JUST BECAUSE I THINK HE SHOULD BE DOING MORE AWESOME THINGS THAN COMPLAINING ABOUT A FUCKING GAME HE CAN'T PLAY DOESN'T MEAN I'M WRONG.  An opinion cannot be wrong.  Sometimes I wonder why I bother. I should just stick to saying "Duder" and "<>" and "Batman derp"    Urgh.     "
The problem is that you came off as a judgmental dick with the way you said it.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Slaker117
@RiotBananas:  Just try not to sound like a dick in the future.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mordukai
@RiotBananas said:

" I give up, I'm going on Killing Floor. I don't care what you think about what I said anymore, consider this a rage quit.  "

You should have expected it when you shared your opinion with everyone. SOmetimes some opinions need to be kept to one self. Not saying you are wrong or calling you names but I think you learned the hard way that some issues people feel pretty strong about and sometimes they need to be kept save for people you feel close to.  While I don't share your views has I have seen a close friend whither to cancer I understand where your view point comes from. The last week he was alive all he wanted to do was to play Bushido Blade one more time. I had to move his fingers for him because he was so weak. That's what he wanted and that's what he got. 
LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By LackingSaint

Bah ha ha at RiotBananas saying this guy should be doing more "awesome things" than playing video games, while he is on a video-game website. Yeah bro cause if it aint a physical act it can't be AWESOME, right!

In all seriousness, I give a hearty respect to Gareth; i've always felt the inconsistency of certain options in games has just ruined the market for certain disabilities (I mean I almost never see movies with no subtitle option so why games without customizable controls), and the fact this guy is standing up to show us really speaks to me.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By iam3green

welt i signed it. i think they should have let this done a long time ago. i enjoy sometimes changing the buttons for the game.

1nfinitum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By 1nfinitum
@RiotBananas: 
*Steps off his pure bred*
You sir, are a CHILD!