Capcom Trademarks "Mega Man Universe".

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Icemael
Capcom just trademarked "Mega Man Universe". As far as I know, there aren't any hints or information on what it might be.

At first, I figured it'd be the next Battle Network-style RPGs for the 3Ds. The Game Boy Advance had Mega Man Battle Network and the DS had Mega Man Star Force, so Mega Man Universe being the next in that line of games sounded totally plausible.

Then, I read that Seth Killian had said this: 

"It's good. I don't want to say nobody has seen it coming. Somebody may have seen it coming. But it excited me and when I heard about the project, I was like, 'Holy crap. That's rad.' I actually haven't seen anything that's going on with the project right now but the idea was exciting. " 

And let's be honest here, nobody -- especially not Seth -- would go "Holy crap. That's rad." for the Star Force games' successor. So I'm thinking either a massive compilation of all the games -- Mega Man, Mega Man X, Mega Man Zero, Mega Man Battle Network; all of them -- or some kind of really cool crossover. Or maybe a big-budget 3D shooter/platformer with shiny graphics, action-packed combat, and a fleshed-out story?

Do you guys have any theories?
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Icemael

Looks like the General Discussion glitch has struck once again. Could a mod please move this to the Mega Man franchise board?

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Romination

Mega Man MMO. You heard it here first.

Either that, or Mega Man is going to go see the Princess when the star bits are falling from the sky, but then Dr. Wily kidnaps her to create his own universe and Mega Man must go through space platforming levels to rescue her.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Icemael
@Romination said:
" Mega Man MMO. You heard it here first.    Either that, or Mega Man is going to go see the Princess when the star bits are falling from the sky, but then Dr. Wily kidnaps her to create his own universe and Mega Man must go through space platforming levels to rescue her. "
And when you've completed all the levels, including the optional ones, you get to play through the game as Proto Man.
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Romination
@Icemael: No, you play through as Roll. She has a special broom attack, it changes the entire game.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

I'm not sure it's even a game. Maybe they're just trademarking the name because so they can refer to the Mega Man universe as the Mega Man universe.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Icemael
@LordAndrew said:
" I'm not sure it's even a game. Maybe they're just trademarking the name because so they can refer to the Mega Man universe as the Mega Man universe. "
It's definitely a game. They don't need to trademark "Mega Man Universe" to call the Mega Man universe the Mega Man universe, and even if they did, that's not something Capcom's community manager would get excited for.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LordAndrew
@Icemael: They don't need to, but you better believe Capcom wants to protect their intellectual properties. "Mega Man Universe" does seem like the sort of thing a game company would want to protect with a trademark.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Icemael
@LordAndrew: They already have "Mega Man" protected, so no one would get away with calling a product "Mega Man Universe". The only reason I can see why they'd trademark this, is that they're making a game. And if you read what the trademark is for, it's for... a game.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LordAndrew
@Icemael: It doesn't necessarily mean it's for a game. It's trademarked for games, but it doesn't say it will be the name of a game.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Icemael
@LordAndrew: Seth Killian is saying it's an exciting project. It's a fucking game. There's an abysmally small chance it'll be a movie or a comic book, but otherwise, it's a game.
ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By ThePaleKing

A cart racer. 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LordAndrew

And Seth Killian may be right. But he never said that project was Mega Man Universe. That was your conclusion.

As much as I'd love to continue this, I suspect that neither of us know a whole lot about trademarks. So let's just stop before we make fools out of ourselves.