Confessions of a Pokemaniac

LinksOcarina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Edited By LinksOcarina

Today on Serebii.net I was browsing through they’re in-depth pokedex and I suddenly realized something, something that has not crossed my mind in years. Pokemon is pretty damn old now. Maybe not as ancient as most game franchises are, like Tetris, Pac-Man, Mario or Zelda, but it now has over ten years on their belts notched ever since the game graced the game boy back in 1997. And with the Pokemon remakes of Gold and Silver to be gracing the U.S in April,the franchise will finally reach over sixteen games in the normal series of the Pokemon RPG games, surpassing Final Fantasy and even Legend of Zelda.

For a franchise that has sold over 175 million units in a little over ten years, that is impressive in it’s own right. And let’s be serious for a second, almost everyone growing up in the late 1990’s played pokemon on the handheld, watched that still awful tv show on the WB, bought, traded and played the collectible card game (with two shiny rare Charizards that I once got $200 for one of them.) Hell, pokemanics who won’t be afraid to admit it can still name the exact statistics and strategies that you need to take down Mewtwo without the use of the Masterball.

But I digress. Over ten years old, Pokemon is still going strong on the handheld, and in Nintendo’s fold of cash in games. The series has spawned one of the cultural phenomenons of the past few years, and is still a benchmark for pop culture today. Where as phenomenons like Pogs and My Little Ponies have faded into pure obscurity, Pokemon is going strong after eleven years.

Why is that? Why is it that some random game that is offensively Japanese, is totally kid friendly, has more cute creatures than a pet shop and really has remained unchanged since the first game came out, still the number one seller on the handhelds? Also, why is it that a lot of the elder fans of the game shun their roots from it?

The first question is easy, and it has to do with appeal and gameplay design. The Pokemon’s appeal as a kid friendly title is part of it, but it is also the appeal of catching and collecting creatures to do battle with. That core game concept keeps players going back for more, to find rare and exclusive creatures to fill out a collection, and collecting the Pokemon is just one half of the rubrics cube. The second part, the gameplay design, and keeps those players hooked (even if they won’t admit it.) The game has very deep and well thought out strategic elements that have evolved over time to create one of the better strategy battle games on the market.

The limit of four attacks a Pokemon is pretty much put down into a science by most poke maniacs. They know what to use on whom with what attack, and who has the broadest chance of hitting an opponent. The games statistics are also highly detailed. Depending on the type of one’s Pokemon, the type of attack, attack strength, and if the attack is a physical or special attack, will calculate the damage you can do to an opponent. Likewise, defense and speed is categorized in the same fashion, all of which is coupled with a base statistic score that can range between 60-120, not to mention the augmenting effects of stat boosters and reducers.

Any given pokemaniac can sit down, calculate what is needed, and win a battle accordingly, which is why the game has such a broad appeal with a lot of age groups.  Hell, kids who have grown up with the game, on average, still play it today, because of the deep strategy elements in the game. Some of the biggest tournaments worldwide are in Pokemon, granted the rules are different somewhat depending on what tourney your participating in, but the competitive battle scene is really deep and engrossing.

And that is just the game itself. The card game has a great appeal as well, like Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh, and continues to pump out four sets a year with constant updates to the gameplay mechanics. Pokemon’s influence is not just in pop culture, but also in other venues all over the world. The Thanksgiving Day parade, the infamous ANA Boeing 747 with Pokemon inked on the sides, hell, a new protein was named after Pikachu by scientists early in 2008.The influence is totally widespread.

But still, there are those who have played the games, were engrossed into the statistical nature of the battle system, even religiously watched the anime every day through recordings and video releases, yet have shunned it as a phase, like it was something to grow out of. And I bet some people took it even further and did extreme things, like go see the Pokemon Live! Show or write Pokemon fan fiction where Ash and Misty are rocking the casaba. (Incidentally, I have a fanfiction on Serebii.net if you want to read it, it’s an original story so don’t worry too much about it.)  Yes, with every great fad there is a lot of excess, but when the fad is still going strong after all these years, perhaps it is time to embrace it once more. You can't just grow out of a game series you like. You can move on to better (or sometimes worse) games, but you will never stop loving a game from your past that you played, even with all of the flaws it may have or the image it presents to you.

I am a pokemaniac and I’m not ashamed of it, and everyone else who loves the games from their youth should not be either. You may have moved on from the cuteness of Pokemon, but the core gameplay, the strategic merits that can be learned to help with cognitive thinking, still exist in the cartridges memory banks. You would be doing yourself a favor to play the adventures again, even if it’s just for nostalgia’s sake. I can guarantee, the inner pokemaniac in you won’t complain about it.

LinksOcarina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LinksOcarina

Today on Serebii.net I was browsing through they’re in-depth pokedex and I suddenly realized something, something that has not crossed my mind in years. Pokemon is pretty damn old now. Maybe not as ancient as most game franchises are, like Tetris, Pac-Man, Mario or Zelda, but it now has over ten years on their belts notched ever since the game graced the game boy back in 1997. And with the Pokemon remakes of Gold and Silver to be gracing the U.S in April,the franchise will finally reach over sixteen games in the normal series of the Pokemon RPG games, surpassing Final Fantasy and even Legend of Zelda.

For a franchise that has sold over 175 million units in a little over ten years, that is impressive in it’s own right. And let’s be serious for a second, almost everyone growing up in the late 1990’s played pokemon on the handheld, watched that still awful tv show on the WB, bought, traded and played the collectible card game (with two shiny rare Charizards that I once got $200 for one of them.) Hell, pokemanics who won’t be afraid to admit it can still name the exact statistics and strategies that you need to take down Mewtwo without the use of the Masterball.

But I digress. Over ten years old, Pokemon is still going strong on the handheld, and in Nintendo’s fold of cash in games. The series has spawned one of the cultural phenomenons of the past few years, and is still a benchmark for pop culture today. Where as phenomenons like Pogs and My Little Ponies have faded into pure obscurity, Pokemon is going strong after eleven years.

Why is that? Why is it that some random game that is offensively Japanese, is totally kid friendly, has more cute creatures than a pet shop and really has remained unchanged since the first game came out, still the number one seller on the handhelds? Also, why is it that a lot of the elder fans of the game shun their roots from it?

The first question is easy, and it has to do with appeal and gameplay design. The Pokemon’s appeal as a kid friendly title is part of it, but it is also the appeal of catching and collecting creatures to do battle with. That core game concept keeps players going back for more, to find rare and exclusive creatures to fill out a collection, and collecting the Pokemon is just one half of the rubrics cube. The second part, the gameplay design, and keeps those players hooked (even if they won’t admit it.) The game has very deep and well thought out strategic elements that have evolved over time to create one of the better strategy battle games on the market.

The limit of four attacks a Pokemon is pretty much put down into a science by most poke maniacs. They know what to use on whom with what attack, and who has the broadest chance of hitting an opponent. The games statistics are also highly detailed. Depending on the type of one’s Pokemon, the type of attack, attack strength, and if the attack is a physical or special attack, will calculate the damage you can do to an opponent. Likewise, defense and speed is categorized in the same fashion, all of which is coupled with a base statistic score that can range between 60-120, not to mention the augmenting effects of stat boosters and reducers.

Any given pokemaniac can sit down, calculate what is needed, and win a battle accordingly, which is why the game has such a broad appeal with a lot of age groups.  Hell, kids who have grown up with the game, on average, still play it today, because of the deep strategy elements in the game. Some of the biggest tournaments worldwide are in Pokemon, granted the rules are different somewhat depending on what tourney your participating in, but the competitive battle scene is really deep and engrossing.

And that is just the game itself. The card game has a great appeal as well, like Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh, and continues to pump out four sets a year with constant updates to the gameplay mechanics. Pokemon’s influence is not just in pop culture, but also in other venues all over the world. The Thanksgiving Day parade, the infamous ANA Boeing 747 with Pokemon inked on the sides, hell, a new protein was named after Pikachu by scientists early in 2008.The influence is totally widespread.

But still, there are those who have played the games, were engrossed into the statistical nature of the battle system, even religiously watched the anime every day through recordings and video releases, yet have shunned it as a phase, like it was something to grow out of. And I bet some people took it even further and did extreme things, like go see the Pokemon Live! Show or write Pokemon fan fiction where Ash and Misty are rocking the casaba. (Incidentally, I have a fanfiction on Serebii.net if you want to read it, it’s an original story so don’t worry too much about it.)  Yes, with every great fad there is a lot of excess, but when the fad is still going strong after all these years, perhaps it is time to embrace it once more. You can't just grow out of a game series you like. You can move on to better (or sometimes worse) games, but you will never stop loving a game from your past that you played, even with all of the flaws it may have or the image it presents to you.

I am a pokemaniac and I’m not ashamed of it, and everyone else who loves the games from their youth should not be either. You may have moved on from the cuteness of Pokemon, but the core gameplay, the strategic merits that can be learned to help with cognitive thinking, still exist in the cartridges memory banks. You would be doing yourself a favor to play the adventures again, even if it’s just for nostalgia’s sake. I can guarantee, the inner pokemaniac in you won’t complain about it.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By iam3green

while yes i use to watch the anime, collect cards, played a few of the games. it was good until they started to release more pokemon. it was good with 150 then they changed to like 200 or something like that. then i kind of grew out of pokemon things. everyonce in a while when it's on cartoon network i'm like wtf is that pokemon. it was a good time.

MrMuise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrMuise
Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Druminator

I spent my whole 8th grade year getting all 151 Pokemon on Blue. Then I found Missing No. and maxed out almost all of them to lvl.99 and then cloned the bad ass ones. Little kids on my bus were freaking out when I kept bringing out lvl.99 Charizards. 

That was it for me. Haven't played Pokemon since.

Avatar image for xcompanionxcubex
xCompanionxCubex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xCompanionxCubex

I still play pokemon and i don't care if people have bad things to say! I've had pretty much all of the main-line games and a majority of the side-line games and still enjoy them! I'm nicknamed pokenerd as i know a fair amount about it and if people don't know something they'll ask me but that's probably because i've been playing it for years! I will never get bored of pokemon, though the cards never really appealed to me. I used to love the anime but eventually got bored but it doesn't stop me having my cuddly pikachu i got about 10 years ago!

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By damnboyadvance

I have friends that are still playing Pokemon on the GBA. Yeah, the franchise is pretty strong. Perhaps a little too strong. But it's still pretty good. I'm not a Pokemaniac, but I do like the franchise.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By breadfan

I remember going to Toys R Us when Pokemon first came out and trading Pokemon with my friends in school the next day, a lot of good times growing up with Pokemon.   

I still play Pokemon Pearl sometimes, but nothing beats the classic Red and Blue games.

Avatar image for xcompanionxcubex
xCompanionxCubex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xCompanionxCubex

My favourite will always be generation two - Crystal. Was soooo happy when i heard they were remaking it

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

I used to play pokemon all the time as a kid, and I sitll kinda play them from time to time. Can't believe it's been that long, that's incredible. I was a fan from the start. 

The games themselves are fun though, just the franchise is boring.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By halberdierv2

i used to enjoy it, but i feel the story now is too static and kiddy. i want one with a decent story, then ill play it like I did when I was a kid.
gameplay, however, is classic.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

When I was a kid, I had not so dry dreams about Misty.  My first love was swimming with Misty and more than likely why it wasn't so dry.

Keep in mind I was around 12 at the time.  >.>

EDIT:  Wrong picture!  >.<  Just google Misty...god damn I hope no one saw that.  -.-

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Jeust
@LinksOcarina: If only i could find a gold one...
LinksOcarina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LinksOcarina

Gold one what?

There are many gold ones out there ;).

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By azteris

I started out playing Red & Blue and still play today. I even play on Shoddy to pass time often. 

Pokemon was a huge part of my childhood.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Seedofpower

Man I haven't touched a pokemon game since 2001 and I haven't looked back. Thank god.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By MikkaQ

Goddamn this article... 

Now I whipped out my DS and started playing the new diamond one... for no reason. And it's pretty addictive as ever.