Content Ideas for Giant Bomb

• 123 results
Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

The new hires read the youtube comments of every video they are in until the become utterly broken, hollow human beings.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

@splodge said:

Personally, I want Vinny to play phantasmagoria 2.

Vinny and Alex doing a ER of Phantasmagoria 2 would be great.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would love the staff to get out more. Maybe like a game related field trip. "Let's Go To Blank" video series. I don't know. Maybe it sounds dumb, but it would be cool to get out to actual studios and talk to the people making these games we love. It might come off as a bit unethical though.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#54  Edited By pyromagnestir

Here's my idea for 2 new shows:

1. Call up Brad Muir on skype every morning and let him give a daily pep talk.
  2. Sit Drew down in front of a camera and just have him stare into it for an hour, so that I can gaze into his dreamy eyes...
splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hwy_61 said:

I would love the staff to get out more. Maybe like a game related field trip. "Let's Go To Blank" video series. I don't know. Maybe it sounds dumb, but it would be cool to get out to actual studios and talk to the people making these games we love. It might come off as a bit unethical though.

Prob not a good idea considering Jeff cant make a phone call to a harmonix livestream without being accused of losing his integrity.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see more game retrospectives when a new installment of a franchise is released. Like they did with Mortal Kombat when MK9 came out, that was awesome.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge said:

@hwy_61 said:

Prob not a good idea considering Jeff cant make a phone call to a harmonix livestream without being accused of losing his integrity.

yep. I wouldn't be one of those people.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Just read something on jeffs tumblr that makes me hope they do this. They retool upf into a 3-4 hour show, an hour or so for each office. And it isn't split up into different streams, it would be one flowing stream and they set it up where they can freely switch between the 3 office feeds at whim.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read something on jeffs tumblr that makes me hope they do this. They retool upf into a 3-4 hour show, an hour or so for each office. And it isn't split up into different streams, it would be one flowing stream and they set it up where they can freely switch between the 3 office feeds at whim.

So that actually sounds pretty awesome, and totally do-able. I would be all for that level of shenaniganary.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#60 fisk0  Moderator

@splodge said:

@narujoe93 said:

So that actually sounds pretty awesome, and totally do-able. I would be all for that level of shenaniganary.

Yeah, they did show off that remote Tricaster console once, and Vinny have also controlled it with an iPad if I recall correctly. All three offices should get separate tricaster controls and battle over the control of the stream!

ftrevelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ftrevelin

@white said:

Endurance Run. Either with Vinny/Alex, or with the 2 new guys coming on, just to get to know them better. You know, as a rite of passage.

Yeah, I second that, not an endurance run, everyday streams are too much, but a weekly, 90min stream of the 2 new people playing some bad game, to get to know them better and I think it will also help take the edge of the more aggressive duders out here.

jman240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 3, I'd love that.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It may be a bit old but I always thought it would be an awesome idea if 4 of them played Diablo 3 hardcore and see how far they got. When someone died they would not play but still commentate. It would not have be a daily show but weekly.

They all seemed to like that game too.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@h00ner said:

My visits to the Giantbomb have decreased greatly in the last few years. One of the main reasons has been the reliance on spoiler-filled "quicklook" videos as a cheap excuse for video reviews. I'd really like to see Jeff return to reviewing games--*video* reviews. With the departure of Adam Sessler from game journalism, there is a real need for serious and mature reviews from an older and more experienced game journalist. I cannot bare to watch the fratboys or the parade of girls in tank tops on other sites. It might be a good for the Giantbomb to realize that its audience is now older and more mature.

The video reviews were just them reading their reviews out loud with some lightly spoilery footage playing in the background. I don't understand why you would want two extremely similar pieces of content that serve the exact same purpose when they could be covering other, more interesting games with that time.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By superfriend

Okay, here´s an idea. One staff member plays one match of an online game they´re comfortable with.

Meanwhile, two other staff members (who have no idea what is going on in the game, ideally) provide running commentary. Some sort of spin on the QL formula. I would watch that show!

Edit: The ones providing the commentary can´t be in the same room as the guy/gal playing.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@fisk0 said:

@splodge said:

@narujoe93 said:

Yeah, they did show off that remote Tricaster console once, and Vinny have also controlled it with an iPad if I recall correctly. All three offices should get separate tricaster controls and battle over the control of the stream!

Sounds cool but the west coast is usually late by half an hour and Patrick's chicago shows have been about an hour late so far. Setting three of them up sounds like hell

robsamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Duelling Persona 5 Endurance Runs.

Seriously though, part of the problem with Alex and Patrick is that despite both of them putting out regular and quality content, they have always felt segregated from the rest of the team, with almost zero visible interactions.

It sounds like with the possible UPF plan they want to try and fix that, which will be nice.

I think a cool idea would be to have them play multiplayer games with streams broadcasting from both offices. Of course, that's a little too close to TNT, which Jeff has stated multiple times is never coming back.

Can't wait for the changes, whatever they are!

behardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More Bay Area talk.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Basically stealing this idea from Mock the Week, but I think it'd be funny if you show a video game cutscene, mute it, and then have the staff improvise the dialogue for the characters in the scene. Must also provide sound effects. Would have been perfect for a Jeff/Vinny combo...

Yohosie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to see them dump more cakes into toilets

BluntTheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm all for the ideas of more scripted content and also more competitive content between the guys.

The Game of the Year videos are some of the funniest things on the site, though it would be a lot more work for them so that's one down side as more work on one thing could mean a hit other content across the board.

On Game Center Cx they have a thing where the host goes to arcades around Japan, that could be fun except in America so arcades aren't really a thing anymore, so that segment could either be really bad or really great depending.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I'd like to see them pick one game to play from start to finish each month. To reduce the workload between offices they could also alternate the office each month, that way each office would only be responsible for four games in a full year while 12 full games would be played. Sometimes they could be new, conversation-piece games (how neat would it have been to watch the guys play through Bioshock Infinite or Saints Row III last year?) and other times they could reach back into their nostalgia or just pick something weird from the community.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Short little scripted sketches akin to what they do on thier GOTY videos but maybe a little more games focused. Not sure what other purpose they will serve other than being entertaining and voicing some of thier thoughts on certain subjects in a comedic way. I geuss what in saying is what Xplay did. I loved that stuff.

I always had this idea for Giant Bomb videos and it seems right up Jeff's ally and they did a little bit of it in the old days like that too human video and I always wish they kept doing it. Really funny, brilliant talented people at giantbomb id like to see them work with something a little more scripted but obviously a little improvy too. Think that would be great.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#74  Edited By ajamafalous

@ajamafalous said:

@hunter5024 said:

Vinny should turn heel.

Would be easy to book him that way. He could just come out straight-faced and cynical and never try to break games.

"You people here in New York are no better than those jabronies down in Frisco. At least they could tell the difference between a ham radio and a numbers station!"

Unfortunately CBS is probably more concerned with the reaction their younger fans would have to that.

Hogan did it; Vinny can do it. The whole VinnyNation, never-get-mad-or-cynical-about-anything gimmick got old nine years ago. Sometimes he'll tease it and you think it's finally the time he'll break, but then nope, VINNYSMILESLOL, and next week we're right back to happy-go-lucky Vinny. As a fan, we're in desperate need of some change. I don't care how much their merch sales suffer, I just want the site to stop being so boring.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@yummylee said:

Basically stealing this idea from Mock the Week, but I think it'd be funny if you show a video game cutscene, mute it, and then have the staff improvise the dialogue for the characters in the scene. Must also provide sound effects. Would have been perfect for a Jeff/Vinny combo...

I feel like this would work better as a series of YouTube videos, where you dub Quick Look dialogue or whatever over a specific cutscene.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Random PC game, I mean it's the funniest fucking content ever. Only rivaled by the endurance runs. Also I wish Dave would come back someday, but he jives best with Vinny and he's on the other end of the country so.. yeah.. Am a little bummed out, good thing I can watch the archives again and again.

andmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h said:

Every FMV game ever played through to completion:

FMVindurance Run

This... I'd sub forever just for this. :)

DocWattson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By DocWattson

Some venue that pits East coast/Chicago vs West Coast. Maybe a game where you have 1 hour to see who can make it the farthest through? Resident Evil 1 for example. Each video is posted seperatly. Doesn't have to be 5h same thing everytime. Maybe a venue that let's the community vote on a winner. More fake WWE intros perhaps?

Sponsor an e-sport team. Real e-sports can be expensive, don't do that. Fund a rag tag team that's scrappy and practices out of their mom's basement. Follow them with video features. Giant Bomb would really get behind them and many good stories and footage would come out of it.

Challenge random people to arcade games. Not one in your office, ones still in Pizza joints and Deli's. Show up, throw down some quarters, and game on. As a born and raised NYer I known there are still some places with arcade machines around here if you look hard enough.

Get reactions from the people when notable news happens. Not on YouTube though, hit the pavement. The east coast branch will be in manhattan. Just go downstairs and roll. I am sure you can find gamers, and I am sure non gamers will give great footage also. Someone like Vinny would be great on his feet with the people.

emofratparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@meteora3255: For sure. And they have to keep win-loss records so that everyone can make fun of Brad when he goes oh-fer.

@death_burnout: Game Informer used to do Replay Roulette and they still kinda do something like that. Maybe GB can adopt the format in some way.

@ajamafalous: If you say "jabroni" three times in the mirror, Dave Lang appears.

@dudeglove: Right?! For all we know, it could be MAGIC and WIZARDS in the control room.

@otogi: I think this works better in theory than practice, primarily because they already don't have time for the games that they need to play. I'd love to see this but just not sure they'd have the resources to do that, even with the new hires.

emofratparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite content is all old PC games. Random PC Game, Quick Look Throwback, that sort.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Jeff Gerstmann's Anime podcast.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

So it's like an endurance run right? But once they get a game over screen no matter how soon or late, they have to quit the game, never to touch it again.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

They should make a feature where Jeff plays games that he dislikes until, Clockwork Orange style, he is brainwashed into liking them.

CheerUpYuko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new hires read the youtube comments of every video they are in until the become utterly broken, hollow human beings.

That sounds good!

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

So it's like an endurance run right? But once they get a game over screen no matter how soon or late, they have to quit the game, never to touch it again.

You know... that's actually awesome sounding. I'd say the feature should be called One Life Left, but that's already taken.

emofratparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot who said it earlier, but I think it would be cool to see stuff that's already in Giant Bomb's backyard. A visit to Double Fine? Hell to the yes, please.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Okay, here´s an idea. One staff member plays one match of an online game they´re comfortable with.

Meanwhile, two other staff members (who have no idea what is going on in the game, ideally) provide running commentary. Some sort of spin on the QL formula. I would watch that show!

Edit: The ones providing the commentary can´t be in the same room as the guy/gal playing.

I enjoyed this when they used to add commentary to Brad's Starcraft 2 matches. Good times.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are some features I'd like to see brought back: Random PC Game, Load Our Last Save, TNT...

As for new content, perhaps some short-form podcasts/videos(experiment with both I guess to determine the most popular format) where they discuss a specific game? Ranging anywhere from twenty to thirty minutes long, full of spoilers. Most games don't get much discussion except during Game of the Year Deliberations, and even then its a small number of games.

Dumbest name I can think of for it?

Laser Sight: Where we zero in on a game and fire off our thoughts on it. (Read this in a stupid voice)

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want @brad to do some random PC games of his favorites. Play some damn TIE Fighter already! He needs to get off this DOTA habit and play some real games.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Everyone should Mixlr on their way home. EVERYONE

emofratparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

I'd like to see more Encyclopedia Bombasticas. Both from individuals but also group ones. I'm sure there are a good amount of worthwhile games recording for posterity sake. Especially some older PC games that maybe aren't as well known to some current video game players.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

uh....I live in Chicago...Scoops and TehBuLL? Just throwing it out there. We could eat different food around Chicago. Nothing to do with video games, but since when does that matter? We need to hit Hot Doug's before it closes though...RIP.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emofratparty thanks for showing me those. Would like to see what the GB crew would attempt with something like that.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#97  Edited By monkeyking1969

Here's my idea for 2 new shows:

1. Call up Brad Muir on skype every morning and let him give a daily pep talk.
  2. Sit Drew down in front of a camera and just have him stare into it for an hour, so that I can gaze into his dreamy eyes...
No Caption Provided

How about sitting Jeff, Brad, and Drew against a green screen. They just stare into the camera without talking for 40 minutes.

The community could have a bit of fun with that....

mechahendrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to see Jeff or someone go through the career mode on one of the PS2 SmackDown games. I once had a tag team between Ultimo Dragon and the Undertaker. It was awesome.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny/Alex Endurance Run. Not daily, but weekly or maybe twice a week. It also doesn't have to be a long game. The best runs are games where neither of them know what's happening (like the Persona 4 one) or when one is teaching another, and trolling, like Dark Souls. To be honest, just anything that has Vinny and Alex together so they don't just become a QL factory. They're both super funny, so I want to see them be funny rather than just pump out quick looks.

The guys in Cali should use what's at their disposal: a larger crew and a studio. Anything that gets all the guys together playing games and joking. The show should have structure, so I like the idea of something the community can follow along with The idea of a month long tournament where each week they play different games chosen by one of the guys would be cool. And then at the end of the month the winner wins... some bullshit, I don't know.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd like to see Vinny and Alex play through a game together, but not in a daily Endurance Run feature-- I've always preferred the Dark Souls/Breaking Brad format of once or twice a week doing an run of the game. A daily feature like that is impossible for me to keep up with and the guys have mentioned before what a strain on resources it is.

I'd also like to see a return of Encyclopedia Bombastica and some form of a community multiplayer show. Actually it doesn't even need to be a show-- it'd just be cool to have an organized day/time to play a multiplayer game with some of the staff and community.

For new content I would absolutely love to see more video along the lines of Building the Bastion-- more in-depth conversations with people who develop and release game would be excellent. More goofy scripted stuff would be amazing too.

But honestly, I'd just love to be surprised by new content that I never knew I wanted, or thought I'd like.