Deadly Premonition > Heavy Rain?

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Did anyone read this article from Jim Sterling? 

This was pretty damn funny in the article:
 The game is billed as an interactive movie, and what that means is that it essentially plays itself while you make some choices now and then. We've already had that game. It was called Dragon's Lair and that was published in 1983. The story was just cobbled together from M Night Shyamalan movies and then covered in David Cage's spunk. The gameplay is basically Guitar Hero without the music, and ideas lifted from Quantic Dream's last game, Indigo Prophecy. Hardly a breathtaking new vision for what games could be.

Pretty descriptive fucking format.   I kind of agree with that Dragon's Lair rehash.  That's what Heavy Rain reminds me of.  I laughed quite a bit while reading this article. Almost pissed my pants.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By Icemael

inb4 raging people who don't realize that the article isn't serious.

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Novyx

You know what's great about Jim Sterling? The comments that accompany every one of his articles from people who don't even bother to read what he says. Fact is, while he makes himself very abrasive, if you read what he's actually saying, he's often rather insightful and much more honest than people generally let themselves be, like the whole deal with 'art' games and the hilarious reaction that proved exactly what he was saying afterwards. Also, props to him for admitting he was wrong about AVP, despite him going on (on twitter) about how no matter what, it would be awesome to him.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By trophyhunter

I stopped at Jim Sterling
the man that is payed to be a troll

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Castro
@Novyx said:
" You know what's great about Jim Sterling? The comments that accompany every one of his articles from people who don't even bother to read what he says. Fact is, while he makes himself very abrasive, if you read what he's actually saying, he's often rather insightful and much more honest than people generally let themselves be, like the whole deal with 'art' games and the hilarious reaction that proved exactly what he was saying afterwards. Also, props to him for admitting he was wrong about AVP, despite him going on (on twitter) about how no matter what, it would be awesome to him. "
Absolutely. I don't know what's funnier: his articles or the comments from people that think that he's serious.
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By frankxiv

is deadly premonition that game that was showed as rainy woods, which was essentially twin peaks: the game?

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

It's pretty funny watching 13 year olds refute his sarcastic claims.  

RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RoujinX

I liked Dragon's Lair.
pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By pbhawks45

I don't care if he wasn't serious. The only reason he gets any attention is because he posts controversial work, not that he's a talented writer. He's a hack.

JohnRehill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By JohnRehill
@pbhawks45 said:
" I don't care if he wasn't serious. The only reason he gets any attention is because he posts controversial work, not that he's a talented writer. He's a hack. "
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By Cube
@pbhawks45 said:
" I don't care if he wasn't serious. The only reason he gets any attention is because he posts controversial work, not that he's a talented writer. He's a hack. "
Avatar image for deactivated-5d99c8cd85096
deactivated-5d99c8cd85096

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jim Sterling is a genius.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By neoepoch
@pbhawks45 said:
This, this a thousand times this. Jim Sterling's only real body of work is to stir up trouble and laugh at his own terrible jokes.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iam3green
@pbhawks45 said:
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By sjschmidt93

How does a game get a 10 from Destructoid and a 2 from IGN? 

Which one is right? 

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Ace829
@pbhawks45 said:

Care to elaborate?
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I thought he had a pretty good way with words.  Witty.  Read the article if you haven't.  Heavy Rain didn't make him
cry but Deadly Premo made him cry..with laughter.  hah!

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By pbhawks45
@Ace829 said:

" @pbhawks45 said:

Care to elaborate? "
Why do you think Giant Bomb is so big? Granted, Ryan has written some contraversial reviews, but he's respected. Like the the other staff members here, they're damn good at what they do. Sterling uses a crutch. The only thing he does is take the opposite stance of a hot-button gaming topic, and then proceeds say why you're wrong for believing otherwise, and in a dickish way. He says he's being sarcastic, but that's bullshit. He lives for the angry comments people post in his articles, rather then trying to be a good writer.

Oh yeah, he's reviewed games without completing them, and failed to say so in the reviews. That's professionalism right there.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Jeust
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" How does a game get a 10 from Destructoid and a 2 from IGN?  Which one is right?  "
Someone said the truth is generally found in the middle - 6.  But depends greatly of what you want in a game. 
Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ace829
@pbhawks45: Hm... I don't get that "dickish" vibe from him at all, to be honest. Yes he has had controversial opinions, but he backs them up. Alot of the angry comments are, unfortunately, from people who don't bother to read his articles. The Assassin's Creed 2 review? I bet you a good chunk of those angry commenters just skipped straight to the score. "OMGZ A 4.5!? BIAS!" It's unfortunate that you can't enjoy his writing style because despite the massive heaps of sarcasm he throws at you it is all very entertaining.
hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By hinderk
@pbhawks45: I've been searching through his reviews, and most almost all of them are around the metacritic score. The only one that I've seen that vastly different than anyone else was his Assassins Creed 2 review.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By JJOR64

[About Jim Sterling: Jim Sterling is Destructoid's reviews editor and writes a wide variety of articles, including editorials such as this. He does not consider himself a journalist. His work can be humorous or serious but its up to you to decide which articles are which. The opinions expressed -- be they satirical or sincere -- are entirely his own and don't reflect the opinions of Destructoid's staff as a whole. He might annoy you sometimes, but his aim is never genuine offense. Try and take him for what he is -- one guy having fun on the Internet and talking about videogames.]

Taken from that same article.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@pbhawks45 said:
" @Ace829 said:

" @pbhawks45 said:

Care to elaborate? "
Why do you think Giant Bomb is so big? Granted, Ryan has written some contraversial reviews, but he's respected. Like the the other staff members here, they're damn good at what they do. Sterling uses a crutch. The only thing he does is take the opposite stance of a hot-button gaming topic, and then proceeds say why you're wrong for believing otherwise, and in a dickish way. He says he's being sarcastic, but that's bullshit. He lives for the angry comments people post in his articles, rather then trying to be a good writer.  Oh yeah, he's reviewed games without completing them, and failed to say so in the reviews. That's professionalism right there. "
Fuck.  GB could use a hired gun like Sterling.  They can have him be the Devil's Advocate in some of the reviews. Especially on games that GB avoids reviewing such as Demon's Souls or Star Trek Online, among others.  Don't want to do the Review?  Get Sterling to do it. hahaha...
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By armaan8014

Isn't it being developed by an Indian company UTV or something?

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By hinderk
@armaan8014:  It was developed by Ignition Entertainment. Their wiki page says that they were founded in England.

Edit: Ignore what I just said. Ignition Entertainment was the publisher and utv is the developer. Not sure if their Indian though.

Edit 2: Ignore this entire post.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FunExplosions

That was incredibly hilarious, actually. The only problem I had with it was that there wasn't enough hilarious Deadly Premonition footage. That, and I sometimes started to take him too seriously. Never heard of this guy before, I only own a PS3 and this computer, and I thought that was awesome. There you have it, people.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By armaan8014

Game was developed for PS2, but it was ported to 360.
Said so on some site...

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By armaan8014
@hinderk said:

" @armaan8014:  It was developed by Ignition Entertainment. Their wiki page says that they were founded in England. "

It says this on some wasted gamers forums

"For those who don't know Ignition Entertainment was Acquired by our very own UTV Entertainment .....U.T.V shud stick to film making business...lol"

http://www.forums.wastedgamer.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5523&start=0

suckage justified I guess?
FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FCKSNAP
@hinderk said:
" @armaan8014:  Ignition Entertainment was the publisher and utv is the developer. Not sure if their Indian though. "
Access is the developer, says so on their own site

I think I'll hold out for the inevitable terrible PS3 port, since it comes out next month for PS3 in Japan. :D
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Jeust
@armaan8014 said:

" @hinderk said:

" @armaan8014:  It was developed by Ignition Entertainment. Their wiki page says that they were founded in England. "

It says this on some wasted gamers forums

"For those who don't know Ignition Entertainment was Acquired by our very own UTV Entertainment .....U.T.V shud stick to film making business...lol"   http://www.forums.wastedgamer.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5523&start=0  suckage justified I guess? "
It wasn't developed by Ignition, but by  Marvelous Entertainment Inc., based on Tokyo. Though it is Ignition who released it on the US.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By Pinworm45
@pbhawks45 said:
He angers a lot of people and produces a lot of humor for those who enjoy that type of thing. 

I fail to see how that makes him a hack. Seeing as he does EXACTLY what he wants to do.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#33  Edited By natetodamax

Does not compute.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#34  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Ugh. Everything he writes has a sneering, dickish tone that annoys the hell out of me. Sure, it's satire, but it's not good satire. Being contrary for the sake of being contrary does not make good journalism.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ace829
@ArbitraryWater said:

" Ugh. Everything he writes has a sneering, dickish tone that annoys the hell out of me. Sure, it's satire, but it's not good satire. Being contrary for the sake of being contrary does not make good journalism. "

[About Jim Sterling: Jim Sterling is Destructoid's reviews editor and writes a wide variety of articles, including editorials such as this. He does not consider himself a journalist. His work can be humorous or serious but its up to you to decide which articles are which. The opinions expressed -- be they satirical or sincere -- are entirely his own and don't reflect the opinions of Destructoid's staff as a whole. He might annoy you sometimes, but his aim is never genuine offense. Try and take him for what he is -- one guy having fun on the Internet and talking about videogames.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#36  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@Ace829: He may not consider himself one, but he is one by association with his profession. He gets paid to write about games. That makes him a game journalist.