Did Halo Combat Evolved age well?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Chacon
Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

Of course, a whole bunch of the stuff that game did are now standard in almost every FPS so it has lost a bit of its appeal, but I still think it's a great time whenever I bust it out.
Phaazon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Phaazon

for what it's worth the few rare times i can get my friends to system link this game it has never lost its fun factor

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Systech

Depends if you liked it the first time around or not.

Chacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chacon
@Phaazon said:
"for what it's worth the few rare times i can get my friends to system link this game it has never lost its fun factor "

But what do you think of its single-player and story?
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Marz

Halo is probably the first game i ever did any type of Lan type of stuff, where me and my friends would all hook up our xboxes together and play them on different tv's.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By AndrewB

The first Halo game still plays better than 2 and is up there with 3, in my opinion.  Certainly has the best balanced gameplay, best music, and best story of the lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b079cb81b70c
deactivated-5b079cb81b70c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No game ever ages well.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By natetodamax

I clicked A.

Chacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Chacon
@natetodamax said:

"I clicked A. "

I clicked A too. 

Chacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chacon

Halo sux compared to Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warfare 2. 

Fanboys just can't seem to deal with that but its a fact of life! 

Option A is slowly getting the most votes, good to see that theres smart gamers in this forum.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By toowalrus

HAS Halo: Combat Evolved AGED well?

Chacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chacon
@TooWalrus said:
"HAS Halo: Combat Evolved AGED well? "

No!
Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Yes. I played through a bit of the game's multiplayer ages ago, only got around to buying it second hand recently and I'd still say it's really good, even today. There's a few technical things I can look at now in terms of controls and visuals that are noticeable now but in terms of the big picture, I'm still enjoying it a lot.

In terms of single player, the storyline isn't something I'd look at when thinking about whether a game has aged well or not. Stories, unless commenting on a specific contemporary event, are timeless. In Halo all you need to know is that you're fighting some aliens, and you're the last hope for humanity's survival. Something like that really. That's all there needs to be. Otherwise yes, the gameplay of the single player holds up well.

Chacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chacon

I can't believe option B. is getting the most votes!
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By demontium
@Chacon: No. 

It is far from classic. 

It never re-invented any major aspect of the FPS genre. 

It just re-used them.
Chacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Chacon
@demontium said:
" @Chacon: No.  It is far from classic.  It never re-invented any major aspect of the FPS genre.  It just re-used them. "

Exactly! 

Halo is second-rate, whoever disagrees is stupid!
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Diamond
@Chacon: 
You remind me of that dude that used to keep making new accounts here on Giant Bomb just to create threads dissing Halo and getting banned over and over.  You haven't been here for months.  What happened, not able to pay for power for a while?
Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I'd say so, I played the entire trilogy in 2007. The repetitive indoor levels aren't great, but otherwise it's still pretty fun.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xyzygy

Why the hell are there so many polls and threads lately regarding the reception of Halo? I don't get why this series is getting so much hate (Non-360 fanboys hating on Reach?) - the games have gotten amazing reviews, and if you don't like the series then that's great too. FPS's aren't for everyone. In the series short life it has sold over 30 million copies, and that statistic could be higher now. 

P.S.: There is nothing better than a system link party with Halo 1. Some of the greatest multiplayer moments of my life. 

So yes.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By vaiz

So... Trolling.

What's that like?

Also, voting B just to spite OP, even though my actual opinion is yes, it is outdated, but it's also still fun and still a classic.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By FluxWaveZ

You're poll responses are biased.  You could have just but "no" and "yes" but you felt the need to add nouns such as "classic" and "outdated" to sway people in certain directions.  Stupid.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
@Chacon said:

" Halo sux compared to Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warfare 2.  Fanboys just can't seem to deal with that but its a fact of life!  Option A is slowly getting the most votes, good to see that theres smart gamers in this forum. "

You're a moron.  Stop posting on Giantbomb, and go back under the bridge you crawled out of.  @xyzygy said:

" Why the hell are there so many polls and threads lately regarding the reception of Halo? I don't get why this series is getting so much hate (Non-360 fanboys hating on Reach?) - the games have gotten amazing reviews, and if you don't like the series then that's great too. FPS's aren't for everyone. In the series short life it has sold over 30 million copies, and that statistic could be higher now.  P.S.: There is nothing better than a system link party with Halo 1. Some of the greatest multiplayer moments of my life.  So yes. "

Some dumbass figured there would be little mod intervention with it being Christmas and all.  Now is a superb time to troll.  

On a side note, I just watched Inglorious Basterds, and it was awesome. 
crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By crystalskull2

Halo:CE has aged well,but surprisingly Halo 2 looks like shit to me even by 2004 standard.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Daryl

Yup, especially on PC.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By penguindust

A game can not age well and still be considered a classic.  The two are not diametrically opposed. 

Chacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Chacon

Pfft, Halo fanboys are the worst!
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I would say no, however not even half life aged well either. Maybe if I used a controller and played it way before, then it might of made a difference.

Chacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Chacon

Bungie Dogs/Halo fanboys hijacked the polls!
Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chacon said:

"Halo sux compared to Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warfare 2.  Fanboys just can't seem to deal with that but its a fact of life!  Option A is slowly getting the most votes, good to see that theres smart gamers in this forum. "

What does this comment make you? You think a broken game with awfull matchmaking, awfull maps, glitches and overpowered weapons is better than a game that has none of these things? You really are very clever (sarcasm). 

On another note. I only played it when I got a 360 so never saw it in its prime so I can't say whether it aged well or not
crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By crusnchill

I remember playing it when it first came out on the xbox around my friend's. I updated my PC's hardware for some other game and noticed it later came out for the PC. I bought it and I loved it. 
The machanic's were awesome and I loved the graphic's. 

I've since played Crysis at maximum spec's and I've also since retryed Halo 1 on my PC and found myself hating the whole experience.  
Maybe I'm a gaming snob or something. Maybe games have moved on a lot since the original Halo.  
Maybe it's just something as simple as the original game's now shoddy graphic's. 

I don't know why I hate it now, it just dosn't even feel fun to play this game anymore... :-/

PlasticCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PlasticCow
@Chacon said:
"Halo sux compared to Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warfare 2.  Fanboys just can't seem to deal with that but its a fact of life!  Option A is slowly getting the most votes, good to see that theres smart gamers in this forum. "

What the fuck kinda comparison is that ? You are comparing a rather old game with stuff that just came out.  That's like comparing Golden Eye to Halo CE. For what it's worth tho, I broke out Halo 1 yesterday and  still really enjoyed playing it. I suppose that makes me a *gasp* fanboy. LOGIC !!!!!
nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By nick69

Halo CE is fun, and I can still enjoy playing it today, so yeah I guess it did age well. Whether or not it's a classic I can not say.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By vaiz
@Chacon said:
" Pfft, Halo fanboys are the worst! "
I know, right? You know what's worse, though? Trolls who intentionally make several dumb ass polls strictly for the sake of riling people up and being an asshole. Man, I can't stand people like that, can you?

Man, seriously, take your shit and drag your sorry ass back to Gamespot or whatever sad little corner of the internet you came from.
Chacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Chacon

Halo fanboys are worst than Final Fantasy fanboys!
erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By erinfizz

Well, at least folks quit responding.