DirectX 11 Announced.

Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Locke

Microsoft is calling DirectX 11 a "Big step forward for gaming, adding features onto existing DirectX 10" 

• Full support (including all DX11 hardware features) on Windows Vista as well as future versions of Windows.
  • Compatibility with DirectX 10 and 10.1 hardware, as well as support for new DirectX 11 hardware.
  • New compute shader technology that lays the groundwork for the GPU to be used for more than just 3D graphics, so that developers can take advantage of the graphics card as a parallel processor
  • Multi-threaded resource handling that will allow games to better take advantage of multi-core machines
  • Support for tessellation, which blurs the line between super high quality pre-rendered scenes and scenes rendered in real-time, allowing game developers to refine models to be smoother and more attractive when seen up close

They also announced that Games for windows live will be free from now on for all users.

I don't know about you guys but I'm still using DirectX 9 for most games. In fact, the majority of games out now and coming out soon don't even have directX 10 support. I'm still waiting for Xbox Live to be free Microsoft. Still waiting.
banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By banksrob

direct x 9 is what my 7600gt supports so unless i upgrade massivly..

Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Locke
banksrob said:
"direct x 9 is what my 7600gt supports so unless i upgrade massivly..
"
8 series cards are incredibly cheap now. Especially the 8800 gt. You can pick one up now under $ 130. 
outlaw4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By outlaw4020

Yeah i got a DX 10 card with the 8800gts, and barley any games take advantage of DX10.  the new DX11 cards will bee about $500.  Its more marketing to amke you think you need to buy the new shit when more then 80% of new games wont even use it, id say wait a year or two then ill looking into buying a dx11 card.

Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Locke
outlaw4020 said:
"Yeah i got a DX 10 card with the 8800gts, and barley any games take advantage of DX10.  the new DX11 cards will bee about $500.  Its more marketing to amke you think you need to buy the new shit when more then 80% of new games wont even use it, id say wait a year or two then ill looking into buying a dx11 card.
"
I'm thinking they'll probably introduce it along with Windows 7. The good news is it won't just be WIndows 7 exclusive like DirectX 10 was to Vista.
tmontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By tmontana1004

Man, I really need to build a PC.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By DARKIDO07

Direct X11? DX10 just came out, and they already have DX11 announced? O_o. I'm so glad I didn't get into computer gaming.

Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Schizoid

I still don't care about DirectX. When they start showing off some good looking games and I'll be happy.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By WickedCobra03
banksrob said:
"direct x 9 is what my 7600gt supports so unless i upgrade massivly..
"
Well I guess in about a year or 1.5 years I am going to have to put together a new rig.  I am still running a single 7800GTX and really, its fine right now, just bought Company of Heroes and its runs fine with most everything turned up.
supercubedude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By supercubedude

I'm not going to wait for cards that can do DX11, I'm upgrading this year, once the GTX 280 gets its die shrunk.

Foil_Charizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Foil_Charizard

Wow, 11 is coming out already? That's pretty fast, I guess GFW being free is sweet to, too bad Steam is exponentially better and has always been free.

Garfield360UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Garfield360UK

I agree with you there, I am supprised DX11 has been introduced so fast when DX10 has not taken off as well as it could have. I think the issue is Vista has not been well recieved after Service Pack 1 unlike XP. I will probably go to Vista but as of now its still not really worth it considering there are very very few games that are actually DX10 only :(

Eisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Eisen
Locke said:
"They also announced that Games for windows live will be free from now on for all users."
  Definitely good step forward for that program.  I never understood how Microsoft believed they could get away with charging PC gamers for this service.  If they through in the ability to register and download games that I already own for no extra charge, then I might consider it viable to actually use.

I do feel that DX11 is being rushed out a bit too quick if they are wanting it to be released soon; however, it will probably still be a good couple of years before games are made that take advantage of it.  Very few games are even taking advantage of DX10, but the ones that do run noticeably better than the DX9 version.
Djrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Djrocks

Wow direct x10 hardly had anytime to even grow and here comes 11. I'm still using 9.0c and I'm not getting Vista just to use directx11 for a long time.

Xero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Xero

i think i will hold out on buying a new dx10 card then

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By banksrob

i cant afford a new pc being a student, but when i get money i am going to buy the best one out.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Colonel_Cool

Nice to know that it supports dx10 hardware, it would really be a dick move on Microsoft's part to urge us to buy new hardware again. But seriously, do we really need new graphics API's every year? Right now there isn't anything in dx10 that can't be done in dx9. Not even id's new Tech 5 engine will have any compelling features for dx10 or 11.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Systech

They barely even got into DirectX10.

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By albaker

DX10 is barely even supported that much and DX10.1 is just out, and I don't see many games using that too, except for Assasins Creed, but then you'll need an ATI card to use that.

It's all marketing to get in cash, fucking microsoft.

Open GL is much better IMO 

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By RVonE

Even though DX10 is hardly used yet, I'm excited to see the capabilities of DX11 in action.

DreamsVisions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DreamsVisions

cool.

Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Locke
DreamsVisions said:
"cool."
Heh.
Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jax

Didn't DX 10 JUST COME OUT?

And the big thing was Crysis. Now there's another HUGE step forward!!!

I love PR and Marketing. These kind of claims only have us computer nerds spending our cash on pointless upgrades.

Jecrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By Jecrell

Hey guys, remember when DirectX 10.1 was the next big thing? Nevermind, DirectX 11 just came out 5 minutes later. I wonder what games will be supporting that.

lux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lux

Just in time to buy my new PC.

Txheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Txheat

Wait wait, I am getting a new computer soon. but really this is crazy! I don't even know what kinda card to get beuase i don't even know if it will work in the future! Well looks like we get good looks to fast for my wallet.

SmokeyDaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SmokeyDaBear

DX10 didn't live up to the hype, I doubt this one will do much too.

11samype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By 11samype

Seems way too soon for DX11.  Microsoft needs to slow down and wait for DX10 to catch on first.

nat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nat

I didn't even notice a dif when playing Crysis on 10 then going back to 9..

SmokeyDaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SmokeyDaBear
nat said:
"I didn't even notice a dif when playing Crysis on 10 then going back to 9..
"
What!? You didn't get a huge performance boost and all of that stuff?