Do games sometimes make you feel motion sick?

• 86 results
Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Naoiko

Poll Do games sometimes make you feel motion sick? (226 votes)

Yes, it's always been that way though. 22%
No 64%
Yes, but it started recently as I age. 15%

With many games using motion blurs these days, I wonder just how common it is for people to get symptoms of motion sickness from playing/watching games. Any one else out there get sick watching or playing certain games? I know as I've aged I find myself more often feeling icky playing certain games. A great example of that would be FF Type 0 for PS4. I can't even watch that game being played let alone play it for long before I start to get woozy.

• 
GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Nah, not at all. Been playing FFT0 for a few hours now, as an example, and no problem.

I could see motion blur making it worse but I don't think that's the root cause of motion blur at all. For ages Hideo Kojima said he couldn't play his own games because of motion sickness, and this applied to MGS and MGS2. No motion blur there.

I always assumed first person games caused the most motion sickness but I dunno really.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By redyoshi

Yeah, but only certain games. Tomb Raider (the recent one) completely wrecked me to the point where I stopped playing it completely after two hours and have never gone back to it. It's more common for me in first person games, but I played 100+ hours of Skyrim with no issues and then years later got a bit queasy when first starting Far Cry 4 and also Dying Light. It's really annoying trying to figure out what games will affect me before spending my money on them.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metroid Prime for some reason. That is it.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I used to play a ton of first person shooters in high school, but as I get into my mid/upper twenties, that sort of game tends to make me feel all urpy in the tum-tums.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Elite: Dangerous (No oculus) can give me pretty bad motion sickness. Nothing else does.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The first time I have ever experienced motion sickness with a video game was this weekend. I was playing Lego Batman 3 with my son. I was climbing a round building which was on a round planet and I started to feel sick. The camera on the round planets are terrible to begin with, add another round surface to the mix and the controls become tedious.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Generally, no. Although, there have been some games with extreme movement which have gotten me.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By AlexW00d

Yeah games with terrible FOV roughs me up something special. Borderlands especially was truly terrible in that regard.

E: Or well, I guess it's not technically motion sickness, it's more they mess they head up.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Jeust

The only two games that consistently made me feel motion sickness were Wolfeinstein 3D and Duke Nukem 3D. I believe it was because of both the blocky backgrounds and lack of variety.

Valhallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Experienced this for the first time in my life last week when playing FOTONICA.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Metroid Prime for some reason. That is it.

Oh man. That's terrible. If I ever get motion sickness from playing Metroid Prime, I'll have to quit gaming altogether.

Outside of that one time where I got my wisdom teeth pulled and was taking pain pills and trying to play Doom (on a source port, so no frame cap, and always run on, so the screen bob and speed were ridiculous), I have never experienced motion sickness while trying to play a game.

I have a feeling that part of Type O's problem is the fact that the camera looks so zoomed and, dare I say it, the field of view is super tiny but it's still made for a wide screen. I did watch some of the Quick Look. It was certainly unpleasant to watch but it didn't make me sick. The motion blur certainly doesn't help that game at all. There should always be an option to turn off motion blur, especially when it's as liberally applied as it is in Type O, because more and more people seem to be popping up who say "hey, that shit make me sick".

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CaLe

I've never felt motion sick in life, let alone had the feeling induced by games.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No, but the motion in Valient Hearts on My PS4 and 60hz TV hurts my eyes.doesn't look smooth at all.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No but the first thing I do when I start a new game is to immediately disable all motion blur, chromatic aberration or whatever graphic bullshit that is filling the screen.

Avatar image for physicalscience
physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First person games on the PC with a mouse and keyboard for some reason wreck my shit.

D4RKSH33P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it is a killer headache that started developing in my early twenties while playing in first person. I first noticed it in Fallout 3.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

Yeah games with terrible FOV roughs me up something special. Borderlands especially was truly terrible in that regard.

E: Or well, I guess it's not technically motion sickness, it's more they mess they head up.

Trying to play Borderlands 1 was a nightmare. I played a lot more of Borderlands 2, not because it was a better game, but because I could set the FOV to reasonable.

I don't get sick from narrow 60 FOVs that most console games have. I do however feel like my eyes are being strained. I have to look away every couple of minutes and I bet 10 year old me who would not have done so would try to push past that weird sensation in my head and would have thrown up all over myself.

I don't get motion sick though. I played through Descent 1/2 when I was a kid with no problems. I can ride Epcot's Mission Space orange level all day long.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, that shit sounds ridiculous. Maybe because I don't play on huge screens often, but yeah that has never happened to me.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Two games have ever made me feel motion sick. The first was Stranger's Wrath back on the original Xbox; for whatever reason, that game made me feel absolutely terrible. The modern version doesn't have this effect on me whatsoever. The second is Type-0 HD. Everyone complains about the motion blur, but my problem is the camera speed. Locking on to a target and dodging around while trying to move the camera is a nauseous nightmare.

I'm actually surprised more games don't do this to me. Ever since I was a kid, reading in any type of moving vehicle has made me feel super terrible. No idea why one thing affects me and not the other.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Yup, although I can't say it's an age thing, buuuut I can't really remember if I got sick or not when I was younger, so maybe I'm somewhere between yes and no...

Recent examples: Final Fantasy Type-0 HD--just watching the QL was enough to make me queasy. Another: Bloodborne. Something about that weird frame-doubling shit nauseates me. I can only play for about an hour or two at a time before I have to turn the game off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say that largely no. Only time I have ever noticed a slight bother is some games that are running at 60fps or higher. Not all, but depends on the camera movements and such at games running at a higher frame rate.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@physicalscience: try lowering the sensitivity on your mouse. I find 1800 dpi works best for me. Its not as responsive, but the screen moves so smoothly in comparison.

I find that motion sickness is usually connected to an illness, too little food in my belly, or eye strain from watching too many screens.

robsamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only first person stuff, and only some games. I'm not sure what causes it in particular, but with the recent Unreal quick look I had it real bad when Jeff was walking around the tutorial, but when running it was fine.

thecannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never felt motion sick by one.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

TimeSpiltters 2 on the PS2 was the first time I ever felt really motion sick.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I've never experienced motion sickness from a game.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

Not really, never had a problem with Descent, which I remember many getting issues with.

I got a massive headache watching the FFT0 quick look and when I tried playing Half-life 2 with red/cyan 3D glasses a few years ago. I also occasionally had issues with Wolfenstein 3D.

Something both Wolfenstein 3D and HL2 have in common is that the camera isn't placed properly in relation to the axis of rotation, which I think make them worse than many other games. In HL2 the camera is centered exactly on the axis, making it look really weird when you turn around in 3D, and in Wolfenstein 3D it's actually placed behind the player, which lets you look around corners you actually on the other side of.

Minecraft was totally fine in stereoscopic 3D though.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Usually not, but there was something about the first Battlefield: Bad Company that gave me a massive headache the first time I played it. Still not sure what it was, but some combination of the head-bob, motion blur and frame rate broke my mind. Never happened after that first time, but I was convinced I was going to have to return it.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only time it has happened was watching that Ziggurat QL, and that's a game which I own and have played with no ill effects.

Might be a false alarm as I think I'm coming down with a cold but I had to quit the video half way through as I felt like I was gonna throw up. I'm fine now...

Cky4890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cant play first person games for more than hour or so before I start to cold sweat and feel sick. I blamed my shitty glasses since they're all scratched up and make me focus a lot more on the tv than I probably should, but I noe think it's age or something,I'm not even 30 yet wtf.

dkessler175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot to set my TV to game mode when I first bought it. Everything felt super floaty and made my eyes hurt. I thought I was getting "too old" or whatever too. So relieved to find out that wasn't the case

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Ziggurat QL got me feeling slightly disoriented. That game is fast as hell and has a crap load of motion blur effects. Also, the notorious water boat sequence from Half-Life 2 gave me some issues as well. Those are the only two instances that come to mind, though.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Doom, Wolfenstien, Marathon and all those type of 2D sprite shooters give me motion sickness. I managed to train myself to not feel sick a while back(Doom co-op with mods is real fun), but then I stopped. I tried to play Doom recently and made it about 45 minutes until I started to feel sick.

I briefly had this with the motion blur on the LEGO LoTR game but I didn't get it until I played it on a big screen TV, where previously I played on my laptop.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Nope. When thrown around in real life, sure, but not in games, luckily.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Assassin's Creed III was the first (and hopefully last) game that did. The stormy night boat battle really screwed me up for a whole day and it sucked. I was worried the same would happen with Black Flag but luckily, it did not.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've never gotten sick from a game. I get carsick, however. The periphery of my eyes has to see outside the car, and I'm sure as hell not holding a handheld up to my face to play games.

bjacks27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a bit older of a gamer (35) but it drives me nuts that a huge portion of games are first person. I can get super super sick just from looking at the game and I have lousy reflexes when I can't see my character.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Dyad is the only game I've played that made me sick.

Couple videos on this site. Idk of if it's the games or the videos but the Talos principle was bad and ff type-0 was I think starting to but didn't wait to find out

Genxalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First time it's ever happened to me was when I was playing Final Fantasy Type-0, can't play it for more than 2 hours. Guess that means I'll never finish it

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pierre42

Does for my girlfriend, she can't play Fallout or Oblivion in first person mode because of it. Same with other first person perspective games like Dishonoured.

Hell in Oblivion she said it even bothered her when she made her character 100% invisible it had the same effect.

Avatar image for physicalscience
physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monetarydread: I'll give that a shot! I have been pretty upset about not being able to play Morrowind on my pc so this has me excited.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Certain first person games give me motion sickness. I only really got into video games over the last 5 or so years, so its hard to tell if this is something that would always happen or only a recent thing. Gone Home caused it if I played for too long. Jazz Punk did it to me within 5 minutes. There was nothing I could do to play that game, which was a bummer.

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DJMoo

In general they don't. However, if I'm watching someone else play a FPS, sometimes it can especially if they're looking around really quickly.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never get motion sick, FF type 0 is the only exception. Actually, it's less nausea and more like a headache and eye strain.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By cornbredx

There's a few games over the past couple of years I can't look at because they make me feel sick for some reason. Usually space games or whatever. Games in spaceships. It's actually made me afraid every time I see a quick look for one. The game could be really interesting, and really pretty, but I can't stand looking at them because it makes me feel sick.

Edit: Oh, and excessive motion blur. I hate it. That also makes me queasy to look at. I hate motion blur unless it's mostly unnoticeable (which it should be anyway, but I am assuming at this point it's an aesthetic choice to use too much).

It's not the same, but I also don't like how some modern games feel to look at when they play at 60 frames. Not all games, but some. I don't know what it is. I don't like it. I'm actually kind of glad most games still don't tend to play at 60.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Half-Life 1+2 and Portal. Don't have this problem with other Valve games and their mods, however.

prna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only when game has very narrow FOV and I'm playing on my PC. Borderlands 1, FEAR 3 and The Darkness 2 come to mind.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only game that ever made me feel sick was The Beatles: Rockband. specifically the tracks where it went into the weird trippy sequences.

Poonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never noticed it much before but, I was playing Madden and during an instant replay when the ball moves it gets all motion blur. Makes me go cross-eyed and drives me nuts.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yes, first- and third-person games give me motion sickness. Some ginger alleviates that.