Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

Edited By DrRandle

Character Unlocked: Someone You Should Have Had 8 Hours Ago

by Randy Marr

Unlockable reward or waste of time?
Because my boyfriend and I are creatures of a random nature, we picked Street Fighter IV off the shelf for the first time since April and had ourselves a few matches. Aside from the fact that the game's mechanics continue to be impenetrable, I began to question why half the game's roster was locked away. "Why can't we just play as the characters out of the gate?" I thought. "What are the upsides to them being secret characters?" I still can't find an answer for that question.

The first thing anyone does in a game like this is try to unlock all the characters as fast as possible. I did it for Smash Bros. Brawl on the night I got it... when really my friends and me just wanted to hang out and play some regular Smash Bros., not go through the story mode. I appreciate that there wasn't a need to spend 20 combined hours playing to unlock a character like there was in Melee, but the fact remains: Why aren't these characters unlocked from the beginning?

Sure it's fun to unlock little goodies or extra costumes or what not, that's fine. Progressive stage unlocking in a Mario game or finding secret weapons in Fable II, that sort of stuff. But in a fighting game, or in Mario Kart, what's the point? If you have a secret character who is clearly overpowered, than why even have his game-breaking self in there? And if said character is just as balanced, what is the point of locking him away? Why should somebody have to play the games as characters they don't like to get to the character they want? What's the reward?

In New Super Mario Bros. Wii, for Multiplayer, all of the stages are unlocked so you have free reign to play what you want. Don't forget that you can play through Story Mode with multiple players, and the stages aren't unlocked there, this is just for the specific coin battle mode. To me this seems like the right idea if you just want to goof around with some Mario games with friends if you're focusing on the single player for yourself.

So what about you, dear readers? Are there any games you wish had all playable characters or levels unlocked from the beginning? Or do you get a thrill from having to rush through the game as fast as possible to get all that big content? What games do you think would be better this way, but also what games do you think are made better by having hidden characters or stages? Love to hear the feedback.

Also feel free to follow me on Examiner.com. and if you're really bored, follow my hilarious ramblings on Facebook!
DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DrRandle

Character Unlocked: Someone You Should Have Had 8 Hours Ago

by Randy Marr

Because my boyfriend and I are creatures of a random nature, we picked Street Fighter IV off the shelf for the first time since April and had ourselves a few matches. Aside from the fact that the game's mechanics continue to be impenetrable, I began to question why half the game's roster was locked away. "Why can't we just play as the characters out of the gate?" I thought. "What are the upsides to them being secret characters?" I still can't find an answer for that question.

The first thing anyone does in a game like this is try to unlock all the characters as fast as possible. I did it for Smash Bros. Brawl on the night I got it... when really my friends and me just wanted to hang out and play some regular Smash Bros., not go through the story mode. I appreciate that there wasn't a need to spend 20 combined hours playing to unlock a character like there was in Melee, but the fact remains: Why aren't these characters unlocked from the beginning?

Sure it's fun to unlock little goodies or extra costumes or what not, that's fine. Progressive stage unlocking in a Mario game or finding secret weapons in Fable II, that sort of stuff. But in a fighting game, or in Mario Kart, what's the point? If you have a secret character who is clearly overpowered, than why even have his game-breaking self in there? And if said character is just as balanced, what is the point of locking him away? Why should somebody have to play the games as characters they don't like to get to the character they want? What's the reward?

In New Super Mario Bros. Wii, for Multiplayer, all of the stages are unlocked so you have free reign to play what you want. Don't forget that you can play through Story Mode with multiple players, and the stages aren't unlocked there, this is just for the specific coin battle mode. To me this seems like the right idea if you just want to goof around with some Mario games with friends if you're focusing on the single player for yourself.

So what about you, dear readers? Are there any games you wish had all playable characters or levels unlocked from the beginning? Or do you get a thrill from having to rush through the game as fast as possible to get all that big content? What games do you think would be better this way, but also what games do you think are made better by having hidden characters or stages? Love to hear the feedback.

Also feel free to follow me on Examiner.com. and if you're really bored, follow my hilarious ramblings on Facebook!
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

For fighting games with such a strong online community yeah i spose its fair to have all characters unlocked, although they could characters locked away just for some players to prove their skill from the get go. You go up against someone playing as Akuma who is unlockable by completing the arcade mode on hard or whatever (i havent played SF4, just going as an example) will show the other player that who there up against is obviously someone of decent skill.
DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DrRandle
@Abyssfull: or you could just get your ass kicked by them. Somebody could be awesome and not play as Akuma, so then what's the point of Akuma being a trophy of awesomeness if only you know you unlocked him?
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Yummylee
@DrRandle:
I dunno, just going by how Akuma's a popular character and there are people who would play as him, or any unlockable character, just to show off their acheivment.
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Stang
@Abyssfull: What the hell? Unlocking Akuma means you have skill? No, it means you can mash lariat with gief. There is no skill involved with respect to unlocking any of the characters.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yummylee
@Stang:
I say again....I haven't played SF4 O.o....I was just using that asa possible reason to why fighting games might have unlockable characters...
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Stang
@Abyssfull: I know, I'm just explaining the truth about it. In my opinion, locked characters are added to extend playtime for those of us that do not play online...which is lame. For people like me who spend all their time fighting peeps online, it is just an annoyance. Thank God Capcom got it right and will have everybody unlocked from the get go in SSFIV.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Necessary for non-fighting games for features that are not essential to the overall experience.  Not good for fighting games when it comes to features that are essential for the overall experience.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unlocking characters is hella dumb, why would you pay for a games that has some great rosterm and have to unlock it all. Unlocking should be costumes, additional backstory, concept art...

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Stang
@addictedtopinescent said:
" Unlocking characters is hella dumb, why would you pay for a games that has some great rosterm and have to unlock it all. Unlocking should be costumes, additional backstory, concept art... "
Completely agree.
TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 29

#11  Edited By TobyD81
@Stang: Indeed. Unlocking characters in SF4 was such joke that it hardly seems necessary. I kinda think it's silly as well to have locked cars and tracks in a racing game like Forza 3; if you're a skilled racer, why be forced to slog through the lower levels if you'd rather jump into the big stuff sooner? I think developers would be smart to look past old unlocking structures that only appeal to the most hardcore players.
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Stang
@TobyD81: Yeah. If a developer is fixated on unlocking stuff, stick to achievements. I should not have to beat the game with everybody to unlock Seth, instead just give me a stupid achievement if I feel inclined to beat the game with all the characters. That way the hardcore peeps can spend hours trying to achieve their gamer points, and people like me can just play the damn game.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By iam3green

yes i think that games should still have unlockables. i think that achievements and trophies should also be with the unlocked things. resident evil 5 is a great example. i beat the game a couple of times to unlock more things. there are those collectible things that they added. i wish more games had unlockables.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By penguindust

I don't want to have to unlock characters or settings anymore but I am not opposed to including unlockable costumes or special looking weapons.  Personally, I really like the idea of accumulating in-game cash or experience which can then be spent on special items that make your character unique.  All items are available from the start for purchase, you just need to earn enough credit to buy what you want the most.

MVP1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MVP1101

I like unlocking characters (in fighting games)  most of the time but SF4 was just bullshit.  I like it when you just have to beat the game with everyone.  It helps me into the groove of the game before i go online. 

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By MKHavoc

As games get more popular it's become more difficult for developers to find a balance between rewarding the good players while still making the game accessible for newcomers.  That being said I feel that there are certain games where all of the content should be available from the moment you turn it on.  The examples you gave were good, but I would also include rhythm games.  A lot of the people playing these gamed aren't good enough to unlock the majority of the songs.  This leaves them frustrated and they'll probably makes them want to give up.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DrRandle
@PenguinDust: Yeah, I'm totally on board with your train of thought.

I appreciate the comments guys and I'm not just saying because people agree with me (It's so rare that happens, I can't help but enjoy it just a little.)

And yes, havoc, Rhythm Games... Completely forgot about those, yeah that's annoying too...
headcase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By headcase

If I made a game there would be unlockables but also a big button in the options menu to immediately unlock everything except the very toughest unlockables. T hen if you want to do it yourself, go nuts, but if you just want (almost) everything right away, you can take the option.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By eroticfishcake

It would really depend on the reward in comparison with the challenge I guess. Games like RPG's and FPS's need unlockables and achievements in order to make the player feel more powerful and have a sense of achievement and progress. I'm not so sure what to think about games like Street Fighter or Mario Kart though. Unlockables in Mario Kart feel more like aesthetics then gameplay achievements to me. Although they don't make me feel any better at playing it, it's a real nice change to play with something a little different then normal.

I would say more but I'll just be echoing the sentiments of others in here.