Do you actually WANT to buy these new consoles?!

• 114 results
Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What I mean to say is do you want to buy new consoles? I'm perfectly happy with the PS3, I don't want the bother of having to buy a new console.

This may be the first time I'm simply not excited about new consoles. No game seems that much better, in graphics or anything else, and whilst I know that launch games mean nothing in terms of graphical calibre, previous console interations drummed up more excitement in me.

I simply don't care.

Am I alone?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By Seppli

Yes. I'm eager for an upgrade since years. I overall perfer gaming on consoles, but I had to switch the bulk of my gaming to PC in early 2011. I'm looking forward to finally doing times-appropriate gaming on consoles again.

In comparison to current gen consoles, multiplatform games are just running so much better on PC, whilst the console versions get increasingly grungy looking and run more and more like dried-up shit. The disparity between BF3 on consoles and PC marked the end of multiplatform gaming on consoles for me. Glad to make my return to consoles soon.

You certainly are not alone though, but at least as far as I'm concerned, you are dead-wrong not to be excited. These are exciting times. Just you wait and see.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

Yes. I'm eager for an upgrade since years. I overall perfer gaming on consoles, but I had to switch the bulk of my gaming to PC in early 2011. Multiplatform games are just running so much better on PC, whilst the console versions got increasingly grungy looking and running more and more like dried-up shit. I'm looking forward to finally doing times-appropriate gaming on consoles again.

You certainly are not alone though, but at least as far as I'm concerned, you are dead-wrong to be not excited.

Totally agree.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By oraknabo

I'm not really excited for any specific games, but I'm kind of hyped about the PS4 in general--especially if the whole Gaikai thing works and you can play a ton of PSX and PS2 games on it. I still probably won't buy one for 6 months to a year after it comes out though.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Aviar

Considering how old the current gen consoles are and what I can do on my PC, yes, it is definitely time for a console refresh. My biggest problem is that there really isn't much I can't do on my PC over what I can do on a console. I find myself gaming more and more on my PC then in the past, especially since most triple A titles are being ported to the PC now more than ever. Heck, most of the next gen games were probably designed on higher end PC's while Sony and MS figured out what their actual architectures would be for their respective consoles.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am interested in new consoles, but not so much in beta testing hardware that history shows it going to have issues and be improved within a year or two. I'll be happy just playing a back log of discounted PS3 games and buying the inevitable 1TB version of the PS4 in a year or two.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You don't have to buy new consoles just because new consoles are coming out. Buying into the hype and spending 400-500 dollars when there is nothing you want to play on it isn't worth it.

Not excited by the games, so not excited for the consoles. Interested in seeing what happens with them, though, that could be really interesting.

SolidStateSR71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doubt you're a lone but I can't wait... It's more that...the current gen consoles are putting a cap on creativity... People can only go so far with current gen consoles.. and now they're being limited by hardware limitations.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Yes for like two years now I really wanted new consoles because it's either that or spend $400 on a new videocard and unlike the videocard a new console will last me more than 2 years.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Amikron

It is pretty much the exact feeling I had "last gen" for me. "Oh that is cool new consoles are coming out" *goes back to playing PC games*

It took me about 3 years after launch before I got a 360, and I only just last year picked up a PS3, purely for the exclusives. The consoles lost me long ago and they aren't doing much of anything to win me back. Hell if I didn't have a child I'd probably skip this "generation" outright and stick to my PC fully.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My launch ps3 has been on the ropes for the last year or so and having gone mostly down the pc route during that time has shown me just how weak the current gen systems are.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By laserbolts

Not really that excited. Watchdogs looks cool but besides that I see no reason for me to invest in one of the new consoles. Will wait for the games then consider it.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ever since i moved to pc last year, im never going back. i just cant. i have a 360 covered in dust, a wii that is only still around because of netflix but i do have a ps3 for blurays and i might play the occasional game on it. i dont ever want to buy a console again.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. We've been rubbing against the wall of what these consoles are capable of for a while now. And, at least on the 360, the interface is just getting slower, uglier, and more bloated every year. Time for a fresh start.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I'm tired of the unoriginal ideas getting shoveled to market. Look at Gears of War Judgement and God of War Ascention. No body wanted those games. If new consoles means new ideas then yes, I will support new consoles. Also, having used the Vita some, it has become painfully obvious how slowly the PS3 does things like the friends list, trophies, and messaging. You need new hardware built with optimizing the services in mind.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I have too many current gen games still left to play, so I have no reason to get new consoles yet. Maybe next year.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one thing that excites me is that I will have a new controller for my PC. Hopefully one with a decent D-Pad. I'm tempted to go to the Microsoft Store on launch day and wait in line... while everyone else is getting the XBox One, I'll just grab a controller.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By kaos_cracker

I got a console preordered. Pretty certain that the multi console games that come out this year will run way better on them, especially Battlefield 4, and since I don't have a good PC, I am happy with paying for a new console.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yes. I want better graphics, more shit, I want games to start pushing themselves again like it felt like they were during the late 00s. I want new shit.

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have such a large backlog that I'm not really interested in the consoles quite yet. However, I also don't plan on buying any titles that are available on both this gen and next gen on current gen - I'll play them when I eventually buy a PS4. Right now, that's just Watch Dogs. I expect I'll buy a PS4 mid next year, unless I get a bonus at work or something.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cutyoface

I really want to buy a new console but the problem for me is the cost. I can't just buy a 400 dollar console.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chiablo said:

The one thing that excites me is that I will have a new controller for my PC. Hopefully one with a decent D-Pad. I'm tempted to go to the Microsoft Store on launch day and wait in line... while everyone else is getting the XBox One, I'll just grab a controller.

Gotta agree with you there, 360 pad is a great control method for a lot of games on PC. I hope they do a wired version of the new pad, my 360 pad is a bit beat up.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By Justin258

What a lot of people seem to miss is that new consoles bring things that can really improve gameplay. We get faster processors and GPU's and more RAM which all allow for things like bigger areas, less loading times, clearer and higher resolutions, smoother framerates, more advanced AI, more capabilities, and just more room to work with for devs all around. The most immediate difference that people actually see are the graphics and detail, but frankly those things aren't going to take the same leaps that they used to. More subtle things are getting improved this time and I really want to see what devs do with them. Can someone finally beat the AI that FEAR had or are we going to have another generation of shooters where the enemy stands still or runs straight at you?

Speaking of shooters, I did read in Game Informer that Killzone Shadow Fall is going to have some new gadgets and they're planning on having large, open-ended levels with varied objectives. That's the impression I remember getting, anyway, and it reminded me a lot of the original Crysis. If that turns out to be so, then I know what game I'll be getting. Good shooters might be back! Hooray, we can get rid of this wanna-be CoD horseshit! And Wolfenstein looks cool, too! I doubt I'll get my wish proper, though.

Plus, this new generation seems to be embracing smaller and indie titles and the industry at least looks like it's ready to accept different tiers of budget in game development (so every game isn't aiming to be the next CoD). The new generation also seems to be aiming for more ease of use for developers and users.

So, am I excited? Yeah, kinda. I'm not getting one at launch, I'll pay attention from the sidelines, but I do want to see what sort of leaps that new consoles will bring. Keep in mind, people, that they won't be the same kinds of leaps that we've seen before. So all those pretty, new, shiny graphics are going to be better, but not as much better as you're expecting.

hacksword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, you're not alone. I have no interest in the new consoles either. I'm happy with PC gaming.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#26  Edited By ADAMWD

Of course, always interesting and exciting when new tech is released, especially something as big as new consoles.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It has been too long I bought a XB360 about two months after launch, I bought a PS3 at launch...so it has been TOO LONG for me. I not only want a new system I will push over elderly people, like Jeffrey Michael Gerstmann, to get one.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By stonyman65

I have a PC so I don't really care much about the new consoles but I am interested in new games. If having next-gen consoles helps improve gaming and raise the bar for game development then I'm all for it.

And of course all the crazy shit that comes with new console launches, new franchises, and sequels to current games.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By fattony12000
No Caption Provided

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Jeust

Nay. I'm not interested for now. I still have a reasonable backlog, to last for years, and most of the next generation seems to be built around multiplayer and co-op which doesn't interest me much. That plus the 400€, cools my enthusiasm down.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Aquablak

YES, I want to buy a new console. I'm tired of watered down multiplayer experiences, in particular, and I am itching to play Battlefield on PS4 with 64 players.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PC (which has been my platform of choice for the last 5ish years) was only slightly above average when I built it, and it is quickly being outpaced by the newest games, so I'm mostly excited to get a PS4 because it will be significantly cheaper than making meaningful upgrades to my PC, and will still allow me to play the new stuff as it comes out.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games look and run like ass on the 360 and PS3 now. They've been maxed out. I want to buy new consoles now but I'd also like to be able to time jump to holiday 2014 when actual next-gen games start coming out.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No, you're not alone. I have no interest in the new consoles either. I'm happy with PC gaming.

Pretty much this. I might buy a PS4 if they announce some games I actually care about.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Yes, I actually want to buy these new consoles.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

both on preorder

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the first time since the megadrive i am not so bothered about getting a new console, thinking i might just put some money into a new GPU and see how things are further down the road. But if sony comes out before it releases and says hey guess what the last guardian has a release date, and every game journo has played it and are raving about it,then shit its time to get in the car an do a smash-n-grab. plus side its one sexy mistress.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll be nice to play a console game that doesn't feel horribly crippled by hardware.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Verendus

Hell yeah, I don't ever want to play Battlefield 12v12 again.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm tired of the unoriginal ideas getting shoveled to market. Look at Gears of War Judgement and God of War Ascention. No body wanted those games. If new consoles means new ideas then yes, I will support new consoles.

I have a PC so I don't really care much about the new consoles but I am interested in new games. If having next-gen consoles helps improve gaming and raise the bar for game development then I'm all for it.

And of course all the crazy shit that comes with new console launches, new franchises, and sequels to current games.

You guys are in luck. Developers have been saying for years that the only reason they haven't had new ideas and have been issuing filler installments and sequels to your favorite franchises is because this generation has gone on too long. Their great ideas were constrained by a lack of power. Now, with the unbridled power of the Wii U, PS4, and Xbox One, they can finally unleash all those fresh ideas and new franchises on a stale market.

You can look forward to these incredible new experiences (that were impossible and unheard of in this generation) in the following games:

• NBA 2K14
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts
  • Skylanders Swap Force
  • Need for Speed: Rivals
  • Battlefield 4
  • Madden 25
  • FIFA 14
  • NBA LIVE 14
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall
  • Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag
  • Just Dance 2014
  • LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
  • Dead Rising 3
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • Killer Instinct
  • Peggle 2
  • Zoo Tycoon
  • Zumba Fitness: World Party

Truly, we are in a new age of video games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What makes you guys think new consoles are going to bring about new creative game design?

Anyway, I agree with OP. I prob won't buy a next gen console until late 2014, when Naughty Dog and Rockstar will begin to get their games on the system. Until then, I'll have GTA V to tide me over.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By Ben_H

Nope, not at all. I will begrudgingly get one of them one day, but I do not want drop $400 minimum while I am in the middle of school. The only game they have announced that I actually want to play is Forza 5. These days I play mostly indie PC games and Starcraft. I have little interest in big blockbuster games.

I'll stick with my PC/3DS combo for the time being.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Do I want new consoles? Yes.

Do I want to buy either of them right away? No.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never understood getting excited for consoles. I'll get excited for games, sure, but not consoles. So I'll buy one when there's a bunch of games I want out. Just like every console. And I've never seen a launch that had near enough good games to justify a purchase.

Also complicated by the fact that I have a good gaming PC, so not only does there have to be a bunch of good games before purchase but a bunch of good games that don't make it to PC. This may take awhile, especially since I don't personally care about shooters.

Then again, I've never understood hardware hype in general.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By mosespippy

@wrighteous86: That's a pretty great list of games I didn't even look twice at. Of course the same old stuff is going to keep getting made, but there are new ideas on the horizon with:

• The Crew
  • The Division
  • Titanfall
  • Destiny
  • #Driveclub
  • The Witness
  • Transistor
  • Hohokum
  • The Order 1886
  • Watch_Dogs

Yes, a lot of this stuff could exist on the current technology and some of it does. It's just that Publishers are more willing to take risks in these early stages as the consumers of these products are also taking a risk on new technology and they want to spend money on new things. If they wanted the same old game then they'd play it on the same old console.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im excited for the new consoles but I dont want to buy one. Thankfully a lot of the "exclusive" games (at least the ones i care for) will be coming to PC. I would rather spend the £350 on upgrading my computer now that gtx670s are coming down to a pretty nice level

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mano521

absolutely. Ive always preferred console gaming. Mostly due to the controllers. Having a console that can keep up with modern games and look pretty sounds pretty good to me