Do you think Dance Central will be the best selling game of 2011?

• 52 results
Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By maskedarcstrike

I know the game comes out here in October but after picking up word of mouth for a few months this game has huge potential on a mass scale. If anyone has watched trade show vids nearly all women love it and lets be honest, men will buy things if women like them.  That has been going on for thousands of years.

Dance Central has no controller unlike the Wii which even if it doesn't register 100% accurate, to most of the people playing it, they will notice no difference.  I just can't help thinking that Dance Central will even outsell Rock Band 3 or possibly even Call of Duty games at least for the first year DC is out.

I just think Harmonix has gotten their second gold mine.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

No way in hell

martindn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By martindn

God i hope not. More top selling rhythm games, thats all we need.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mylifeforAiur

No way. It's clearly going to be Duke Nukem ;)

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By spazmaster666

No matter how good the game turns out to be the cost to actually play the game  is too high for it to sell as well as other games ($150 for Kinect then another $50 for the actual game). Realistically, how many people are willing to spend $200 just to play Dance Central?

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By alwaysbeclothing
@mylifeforAiur: You joke, but I'm sure the nostalgia and WHAT DNF IS COMING OUT? factor will probably bump it up.

Dance Central will be the Kinect flagship, but it still runs on the $150 kinect.  That price point alone is going to prevent it from outselling RB3, much less CoD.
Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By manhattan_project

No 

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By BraveToaster

Hahahahaha.......... No.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By RobotHamster

Nope, because that would require buying kinect.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#10  Edited By alistercat

Not a chance. Not even Rockband is the best selling, and this is a much harder and more niche sell.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, because you need to buy a $200 motion sensor to be able to play it.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By JJWeatherman

Umm no. Most of it's sales will come at the Kinect's launch which will not be in 2011.

jimmy5150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By jimmy5150

I would agree with you if dance central didn't require a $150 peripheral.  I do think that Dance central will definitely be the best-selling kinect game of 2011

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Daveyo520

Not even close

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By maskedarcstrike

I know I'm speaking to the wrong crowd but let's take a look at most 20's-30's casual gamers.  Most of them bought the Wii for sports which costs $250 at the time for their girlfriends, whatever.  

This is a game buddies will see a hot chick dancing at a friends house to and will say (you know what I need to pick up this game).  First Person Shooters don't have that same appeal.  

You don't think for alot of people who don't own a console, and even the people who already own a 360 will spend $210 before tax for a game that has tons of appeal to people who don't normally play games?  I'm sorry but tons of people have spent over $500 on crap they thought was "cool" before but never really used.

Dance Central is by far the most accessible game in recent history to the mainstream that plays well, you dance to the moves played on screen and THATS IT.  Plus the bottom line is its actually fun.  Plus it's really sexy when hot women play it.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong I can accept that, but I will bet Dance Central will sell at least 5 million copies before November 2011.

(Edit:  IMO Dance Central has the "peer pressure" tagline attached to it) meaning most of your friends who don't normally play games or maybe play Halo or Call of Duty only will buy this for their friends and Wii  for parties or their girlfriends and it will make you want to buy it)

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gunslingerNZ
@Enigma777 said:

" No way in hell "

This. 
Seriously what would ever tempt you to believe that it could be? The fact that it has a $150 buy in should be indication enough... 

@maskedarcstrike said:
" If I'm wrong, I'm wrong I can accept that, but I will bet Dance Central will sell at least 5 million copies before November 2011. "
I would bet the farm that your prediction is at least 3 million too high.
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By shiftymagician

Nope...because I always bet on Duke.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By maskedarcstrike
@gunslingerNZ:   You're obviously missing the point of the sex appeal of the game and sex sells.  I mean this game appeals far more to females than males.

I guess I'm probably wrong that men have never bought things just cause their girlfriend or wife thought they were cool or whatever.

(But hey whoever's wrong on total units sold buys the other person 2 large pizza's, deal?)
SimbaDoozle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By SimbaDoozle

Definitely not, if people have any sense they won't buy it. They have to stop making these stupid dance games, they are played for a whole 5 minutes and never touched again.
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By maskedarcstrike
@SimbaDoozle:   But how is it stupid if it actually works and people enjoy it, if someone enjoys it and you say its stupid to them your just a hater.  Especially if its a person who doesn't normally play games.
SimbaDoozle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By SimbaDoozle
@maskedarcstrike:
I'm not a hater, but I get annoyed by developers who create these games when they know people will play them for 30 mins, get bored of it and never go back to it again. They get stale so fast, there is never anything knew added to them to keep people playing it.
Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Portis

Stranger things have happened, but I would be absolutely shocked if Dance Central sold 5 million copies in a year, let alone prove to be the best selling game of 2011. I just cannot fathom how that would ever happen. Especially given that you need to buy Kinect to play it, which costs a whopping 150 dollars.

Again though, anything is possible.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EVO
@maskedarcstrike said:
" I know I'm speaking to the wrong crowd but let's take a look at most 20's-30's casual gamers.  Most of them bought the Wii for sports which costs $250 at the time for their girlfriends, whatever.

This is a game buddies will see a hot chick dancing at a friends house to and will say (you know what I need to pick up this game).  First Person Shooters don't have that same appeal.    

You don't think for alot of people who don't own a console, and even the people who already own a 360 will spend $210 before tax for a game that has tons of appeal to people who don't normally play games?  

I'm sorry but tons of people have spent over $500 on crap they thought was "cool" before but never really used. Dance Central is by far the most accessible game in recent history to the mainstream that plays well, you dance to the moves played on screen and THATS IT.  Plus the bottom line is its actually fun.  Plus it's really sexy when hot women play it.  

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong I can accept that, but I will bet Dance Central will sell at least 5 million copies before November 2011.  

(Edit:  IMO Dance Central has the "peer pressure" tagline attached to it) meaning most of your friends who don't normally play games or maybe play Halo or Call of Duty only will buy this for their friends and Wii  for parties or their girlfriends and it will make you want to buy it) "
I have underlined everything that is pure speculation. Turns out it would've been easier to just underline everything that's not speculation.
234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 234r2we232

People here conveniently forget that many, many casual go-ers have bought DS' for Brain Training games, and Wii's for their niche apps. The only big thing I can see going against it is the dance thing isn't exactly fresh anymore.

I like Harmonix. I really hope they do well with this and Rock Band 3 :).

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#25  Edited By gingertastic_10

No.

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Mono_Listo

I doubt it. We will have to figure out some weird formula involving the current 360 install base, how many will actually buy a Kinnect, and how many of those will want this game - throw in the significant other factor in their somewhere. I'm pretty sure Nintendo will publish several games that have/will sell more.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By huntad

Nope, there is no way.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gunslingerNZ
@maskedarcstrike: Of course this is a girlfriend game but I just think that markets mostly been tapped with the Wii. I really don't think the casual market has the enthusiasm Sony & Microsoft are expecting for their products. I genuinely expect both to bomb pretty hard. 

Like others have said this game would be a big seller if you didn't have to drop down $150 for a peripheral to play it. Also a lot of the word of mouth enthusiasm you hear is partially because there really isn't anything else to get excited about from the motion control lineup.
laussica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By laussica

i doubt it the 150 price tag for just the kinect is a huge turn off

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#30  Edited By EpicSteve
@borodin said:
" @EpicSteve: Well in fairness the OP said 2011.  But No. "

No fucking way. Especially considering the masses won't be buying Kinect immediately, if at all. The best selling game will probably be Reach or Black Ops. Right now, Mom and average Joe don't even know what Kinect is. You won't educate them on what the peripherals are and the game in question by the end of the year. 
borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By borodin
@EpicSteve: Well in fairness the OP said 2011. 

But No.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#32  Edited By EpicSteve
@borodin said:
" @EpicSteve: Well in fairness the OP said 2011.  But No. "
2011 will most likely be all about 3DS, however. This is the year the market needs to be educated on Microsoft's offerings.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ProfessorEss

I think it'll do well, but I would assume that price and exclusivity will severely hinder its chances.

We'll have to wait an see what happens with the 3DS and potential big Nintendo titles but right now I'm assuming Gear of War 3?

drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By drace

I really think there's no way that there will be 5 million Kinects in homes within a year, much less, for Dance central to be the best selling game of 2011. Right now, neither Kinect or Dance Central have that kind of cultural cache or word of mouth going for it. A few random stats - In the first year the 360 sold roughly six million units and (according to wikipedia) as of March 2010 Modern Warfare 2 sold about 10 million units in the US. I'm sure they will make their huge morning talk show push soon but Microsoft hasn't really proven that Kinect works yet.

How many people bought the Wii for Wii Sports? A whole lot. How many of them only played it for a few weeks? A bet a whole lot. Yeah, there were a lot of people that bought Wiis for one game but it cost about half as much. I wonder how many people have learned their lesson with the Wii? Also, you may be underestimating how many people are self conscious and will refuse to dance even in front of their friends. I think they should introduce a new bundle: Kinect, Dance Central and a large bottle of hard liquor. :-P

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By Jambones
@ShiftyMagician said:
" Nope...because I always bet on Duke. "
Man, you must have lost a lot of money already then. jk jk.
Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Raymayne
@AlwaysBeClothing: No CoD games have been announced for 2011 yet. 

OT....no.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Branthog

On one hand, I want to say "no". After all, the majority of gamers are middle aged heterosexual males. The least likely audience to give a fuck about dancing. On the other hand, it will appeal to the masses and sell like mad, just like the Wii and Wii Fit. 

Personally, I hate it and think it's shit and I won't have any of it. HOWEVER, when i've watched people (especially non-gamers) play it, they seem so excited and happy that I kind of hope it finds a solid audience of new gamers. I'm for anything that makes people happy and lets them enjoy themselves, so what the fuck, right?

Wally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Wally

I don't see people coming home from work/school and dancing in front of their TV. 

In order for this game to do well.....Kinect needs to do really well, which i don't see happening. (I hope) People are smart enough to see that $150 for a camera is not worth it.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By trophyhunter

No, people are weary of buying a $210 game.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Aetos

Pretty sure thats not gonna happen.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41  Edited By Demyx

I seriously doubt it. Its far too expensive for it to be anything close to a best selling game. However, I hope it does well for itself and kinect. Kinect is an interesting idea, and I hope it will evolve into something amazing.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42  Edited By recroulette

Pokemon Black or White.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By benpack

Here's why it's not going to sell that well.

Hypothetical situation:
"Hey honey, look at this, it's a video game where you can dance and it gives you points and stuff."
"Oh, is it on the Wii?"
"No, it's on the Xbox"
"Oh, well don't we already have Just Dance? Isn't it just like that?" (which has sold over 2m copies) 
"I guess."

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By onarum

I sure hope not....

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jasta

Lets hope not.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#46  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Wouldn't that selling well imply that Kinect would also have to sell well? 

That, and dancing games are stupid. 

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#47  Edited By citizenkane

No and it won't even be close.

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points