• 67 results
#1 Posted by Video_Game_King (35985 posts) -

By this, I mean when two games share the exact same acronym. The most recent and annoying example that comes to mind is SMB. Is it Super Mario Bros. or Super Meat Boy? The context never makes this clear. Same goes for the Phantasy Star series. Don't tell me you've never gotten pissed over a supposed announcement of the PS4, only to find out that somebody's talking about the best Phantasy Star game.

#2 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4592 posts) -

That is initialism, not acronym. Acronyms actually spell a word, like F.E.A.R. 

#3 Posted by Brendan (7686 posts) -

NFL:  National Football League 

NFL:  National Forensics Laboratory 

I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO CONFUSED
#4 Posted by KarlPilkington (2683 posts) -

GOW 
God of War 
Gears of War

#5 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

incorrect wording aside, yes. Except for the specific example that you used. Because I'm pretty sure that was 100% intentional.

However, this is what really bugs me:

CS: Typically refers to Counterstrike OR Creative Suite OR some HTML thing that I don't quite get (in the form of CSS or "Counter-Strike Source)

#6 Posted by Skytylz (4029 posts) -

Super Meat Boy and Super Mario Bros. is the worst.  It really pisses me off when people call Super Meat Boy SMB.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (35985 posts) -
@KingWilly said:
" That is initialism, not acronym. Acronyms actually spell a word, like F.E.A.R.  "
Why do I feel like you're thinking of an acrostic, even though that's not at all what it is?
#8 Posted by mikeeegeee (1550 posts) -

Yeah, like when people talk about Dead Rising and say "omg lets go play some DR" and I get my hopes up thinking that we're gonna play Dead to Rights?!! Gahhhhhhllllllllll.

#9 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11471 posts) -

Gears of War and God of War are probably the most egregious offenders for me, though Super Meat Boy and Super Mario Bros are also pretty bad.

#10 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -

I remember when PSP came out for the PSP

#11 Posted by Spoonman671 (4555 posts) -
I think it's all bullshit.  It's not that fucking hard to write out the name of a damn video game.  If you abbreviate the name without having previously referenced  the full title in the same post and/or thread then you are a douchebag who should be shunned by society.

@Video_Game_King said:
"The most recent and annoying example that comes to mind is SMB. Is it Super Mario Bros. or Super Meat Boy? "
It's Super Mario Bros., or the person who wrote it is a tool.

@Chabbs0 said:
" GOW God of War Gears of War "
No, one is GOW and the other is Gears.  I thought we sorted this out like a year ago.
#12 Edited by StarvingGamer (7987 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: No he's right, acronyms are read or spoken as a single word such as PETA and FUBAR.  When you simply pronounce each letter, like FBI and MSNBC, it's an intialism.

Also no it's never bothered me, although I did find the WWF thing from however-many-years-ago to be pretty entertaining.
#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (35985 posts) -
@StarvingGamer: 

What if it's both, like any Internet thing ever?
#14 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Or how about this one: every time I read DP I get slightly confused. That can't just be me (and no I do NOT have a dirty mind thank you, our culture has simply become way over-sexualized)

#15 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

Not really. What I really hate is when people use overlapping acronyms without specifying which game they're referring to.

#16 Posted by StarvingGamer (7987 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: Actually to be more clear, all acronyms are initialisms while not all initialisms are acronyms.  In the case of LOL, it is an initialism that is occasionally used by some as an acronym.
#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (35985 posts) -
@StarvingGamer: 

You sound exactly like everybody's geometry teacher :P.
#18 Posted by Brendan (7686 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:
"Or how about this one: every time I read DP I get slightly confused. That can't just be me (and no I do NOT have a dirty mind thank you, our culture has simply become way over-sexualized) "

Me and the bros are going to have a marathon DP session later, you wanna join?  B.Y.O. Four Loko.
#19 Posted by StarvingGamer (7987 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: Well I am studying to become a math teacher so I guess that means I'm on the right track?  Lol
#20 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:
" Or how about this one: every time I read DP I get slightly confused. That can't just be me (and no I do NOT have a dirty mind thank you, our culture has simply become way over-sexualized) "
Whenever I see DP I think Pokemon Diamond and Pearl.
#21 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

#22 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Yeah fuck that shit

#23 Posted by Dalai (6995 posts) -

Like when people think I'm referencing Star Wars: The Force Unleashed when I'm actually telling them to shut the fuck up?

#24 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -
@Dalai said:
" Like when people think I'm referencing Star Wars: The Force Unleashed when I'm actually telling them to shut the fuck up? "
And he looked upon the post and he said "this is an hillarious post my children. Learn from it's wisdom." and they did and it was fucking hillarious.
#25 Posted by Video_Game_King (35985 posts) -
@Dalai said:
" Like when people think I'm referencing Star Wars: The Force Unleashed when I'm actually telling them to shut the fuck up? "
Wouldn't that be SW:TFU?

@Dalai said:
" Then shut way the fuck up. "
You shut way the fuck up.
#26 Posted by Dalai (6995 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: Shit... wow that's fucked up.
#27 Posted by Video_Game_King (35985 posts) -
@Dalai: 

I see you refuse to shut way the fuck up. Fine, then. So be it. We must do battle! En garde!
#28 Posted by smudo (150 posts) -

A few years ago I'd see forum titles/twitter posts along the lines of  "OH MAN DID YOU SEE THAT TF2 TRAILER?" and I'd freak out and rush to Steam, assuming a new Meet The ____ video was out.

The look of dismay on my face when I realized they meant Transformers 2 must have been delightful.

#29 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

" @Dalai: 

I see you refuse to shut way the fuck up. Fine, then. So be it. We must do battle! En garde! "

I think that people who played SNES RPGs have their own freaking language or something. The strangest things come up. Yesterday my friend randomly said "It's a little tight, but the price was right." What the fuck did that mean in context? Christ.

EDIT: Wow, that was incredibly tangential wasn't it? Sorry :)
#30 Posted by Video_Game_King (35985 posts) -
@nintendoeats: 

I'm guessing he was referring to Wal-Mart whores.
#31 Posted by EVO (3863 posts) -
@Chabbs0 said:
God of War.

It came out first, it get's the acronymn. Just like Super Mario Bros. gets SMB. It's only fair.
#32 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

FBS - Football Bowl Subdivision 

FBS - Fasting Blood Sugar 

I was wondering why they were talking about blood sugar during the Ducks game.  :P

#33 Posted by masternater27 (915 posts) -
@Brendan said:
" @nintendoeats said:
"Or how about this one: every time I read DP I get slightly confused. That can't just be me (and no I do NOT have a dirty mind thank you, our culture has simply become way over-sexualized) "
Me and the bros are going to have a marathon DP session later, you wanna join?  B.Y.O. Four Loko. "  
BOOM! This topic is over
#34 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@JJWeatherman:  I think you're referring to the Federal Broadcasting Service.
#35 Posted by Hailinel (23868 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
"Don't tell me you've never gotten pissed over a supposed announcement of the PS4, only to find out that somebody's talking about the best Phantasy Star game. "
I'd rather discuss Phantasy Star IV over the PlayStation 4, and I never even played the Phantasy Star series.
#36 Posted by brehonia (51 posts) -

MW2 will always be MechWarrior 2 to me.

#37 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -
@Claude said:
"
"
Wow.
#38 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -
@Chabbs0 said:
GOW is always God of War for me.

But for most everyone else it's Gears of War. 

So anytime I just say GOW confusion ensues. Learned to not do that anymore, and ask what game they are talking about if they say it first.
#39 Posted by 1337W422102 (1005 posts) -

MW2 is and will always be MechWarrior 2 to me.  Filthy freebirth toads!

#40 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

A friend of mine was playing both Supreme Commander 2 and Starcraft 2 at around the same time. 

And no it doesn't bother me.

#41 Posted by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

I know I sure do. 

#42 Posted by Dogma (943 posts) -

Don't forget that before Super Meat Boy we had Super Monkey Ball. That was on of the first ones that confused me a couple of years ago. 
We have in other words up to three different meanings for SMB so far.

#43 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Can't say it has been a big problem, no.
You find out pretty quick what they're referring to

#44 Posted by GioSpy (99 posts) -
@smudo:  That must have been painful.
#45 Posted by Korne (625 posts) -

AC is a bad one... My friends and I know it as Armored Core, but lately, people use it for Assassins Creed.  
Oh, and GOW is God of War. For Gears of War, you either just call it Gears or GeOW

#46 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

Fucking Gears of War and God of War. Kratos had it first dammit!!!

#47 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

I just hate when people randomly use them with no context, so you have to figure out what fucking game they're talking about. "Yeah, ZOE was a really cool game, but I preferred ACE:R."

#48 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

It annoys me, but I don't hate it. 

What I do hate is people saying "GPS System" or "SNES System" ..  
or "SC2" and "WC3" ..  
Starcraft Craft 2 and Warcraft Craft 3?  
Wanna play some Minecraft Craft? 

#49 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

All I know is that whenever someone says DOTA it makes me cringe at how stupid acronyms can get.

#50 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" By this, I mean when two games share the exact same acronym. The most recent and annoying example that comes to mind is SMB. Is it Super Mario Bros. or Super Meat Boy? The context never makes this clear. Same goes for the Phantasy Star series. Don't tell me you've never gotten pissed over a supposed announcement of the PS4, only to find out that somebody's talking about the best Phantasy Star game. "
SMB stands for super monkey ball....