Does more than one disc for a game bother you?

• 100 results
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

It only bothers me when use of the discs is nonsensical. That is, some older games have you go from Disc 1 to 3 to 4 to 2 then back to 4 then to 1 because different areas are on different discs. Build the game chronologically and I'm fine with it. Otherwise it's just bad design.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By mazik765
@AndrewB said:
" Only in certain cases. Tales of Symphonia was a game with one unobtrusive switch, and that was fine. Mass Effect 2 was a wily one that popped up at random even when you had the game installed (I know, it's for security purposes...). It was so random that for awhile I was convinced that installing the game made it so that you didn't have to switch discs. A lot of older PC games which used as many as 6 CDs at least had workarounds so that you didn't have to switch discs (and I'm not talking about only NoCD cracks). On the console, it's a bit different. "
The ME2 disk switch was easily predictable. As soon as you ended the linear part at the beginning and set out into the galaxy, 1st disk switch for all the non-story exploration and missions. Then right before the suicide mission (again, linear) 1 more disk switch. 

I don't care about disk switches. It worries me though that if people are going to bitch about having to get up after a 10+ hour gaming marathon what hope to Move and Kinect have?
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Demyx

Having never had to actually deal with that. I can't say either way. It seems like it wouldn't bother me, but I don't have any experience with having to switch.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By trophyhunter
@InfamousBIG said:
" Snake, you need to change to DISK TWO.  Oh wait, this is a blu-ray.  Glad I have a PS3. "

tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By tsolless

It depends on how it's implemented. If you change each disk once and that's caused by the main storyline, I'm alright with it. If it is where some locations are on one disk and other location are on the other, and there is a reason to backtrack between these locations? Ugh, no thanks.

jaymorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By jaymorgoth

I am in the camp of how it is implemented.  If it makes the game more frustrating then no thanks, Mass Effect 2 is the best example of a recent game that did this because you would arbitrarily be switchinghing disks and you didn't know why.  On the other hand Lost Odyssey (4 disks btw) was fine because i only had to switch disks at certain points of the game just like old school RPG's.  It doesn't break a game or make it unplayable for me, but honestly i feel like at this point we are far enough in the future that either A. you should only have to switch disks at certain points ala Lost Odyssey.  or B allow me to install all the disks to my system and then use the first disk as the check and i don't have to switch disks at all.  Again not a game breaker and i will switch a disk if i have to, but it is frustrating to constantly be switching a disk when we are in an age of development where that has become archaic. 

Avatar image for arcane_workshop
Arcane_Workshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Arcane_Workshop

It really doesn't bother me at all... the only game I have that is multiple disc's is Mass Effect 2. When ME:2 tells you to change discs, it's only that one time and you'll never need to swap again until you do another playthrough. 

Having said that though, I'm not saying I don't think that should be improved/streamlined in future consoles. I do envy the PS3's capability of never needing to swap discs. Just that it really isn't a big deal for now.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By jasta

Nope not in the slightest.

o_l_l_i_e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By o_l_l_i_e

Nope, liked the feeling of accomplishment during Final Fantasy VII and VIII - it was like an achievement before gamerscore existed

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By apoptosis61

more discs = more badass

gime 10 disc game plx

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#61  Edited By Astras

Lol, I still have some of my old computers setup from time to time... uhmmm I know this is a more modern era but  try remembering back the eighties/early ninties and floppy disks. I still have memories of loading exile on my acorn electron with a cassette recorder (Still got it) and my brother turned the power off from the fuse box just after it had loaded LOL. That hurt!

Changing a cd... yea should be a thing of the past ... I mean how bad really is it??? Ur going to lose your horizontal position for about 10 seconds?? Jeez!! Sounds like whiney lazy kids to me... in the words of Eric Cartman "MUUUUMMMM TOILET"

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By foggel
@DanielJW said:

" I quite like multi disk games. Feels old school.  "

I remember a game with 8 diskettes I think it was. Good times. 

Black Dahlia. (Atleast I think it was that game..)
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By FacelessVixen

I like my discs.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#64  Edited By ajamafalous
@PenguinDust said:
" No but it can limit the player under certain circumstances.  In Mass Effect 2, this meant that once you made the transition to the 2nd disc, you couldn't go back to any of the places you visited during the first part of the game.  For better or for worse, all those zones no longer existed in the universe because of the 2 disc requirement.  Obviously, the same thing was true on the PC version, but the game was designed with being on a console primarily. "
There was no disk swapping on the PC version.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By Jadeskye

Not even a little. In fact Lost Odyssey is one of my favourite games.

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Manatassi
@InfamousBIG said:
" Snake, you need to change to DISK TWO.  Oh wait, this is a blu-ray.  Glad I have a PS3. "
Oh the irony of using MGS4 as an example of the PS3 not having disc changes being better than other consoles. 

I would rather have had the game on multiple discs than sit though the lengthly repeated installs for each chapter. Changing a disc is far faster than waiting for a game to install itself multiple times. on the other hand it did give time for making dinner or writing a small novel while waiting to... "play" the game. 

I dont think its really needed at this point to have changing discs as forza 3 illustrated with the option to install the second disc's content straight onto the HDD. More games should make this an option. simply make the second disc none playable without putting the first disc in to boot from for people without hard drives...  actually dont bother. you dont have a hard drive at this point why bother having the console in the first place. thats like not having the internet and owning a ps3 or 360, just dumb.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By zeforgotten

I find it weird to see it these days. 
Mass Effect 2 on the PC never told me to pop in Disc 2 though on the 360. It's like Disc 1, then Disc 1, and then Disc 1 again.  
I don't care how Old School it is, by now it's fucking dumb

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68  Edited By dbz1995

I guess one thing would be with having to switch discs is that you know approximately where you are in the game-so if you finish disc 1 of 2, you know you should be around halfway. I like that when it is a long game-shows that I have someways to go-but it can work pretty badly if the game isn't as long as you think it would be due to its discs.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#69  Edited By Symphony

Only game I found it bothersome was Star Ocean 4, as it had you swapping back and forth and the second disc didn't really feel like it had enough content on it to require that much swapping.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#70  Edited By flaminghobo

Not at all.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

Does paying for a mediocre unreliable Microsoft product bother you?

green = no. 
blue = yes.  
white = bittorrent.

/thread.

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

Im not really bothered. Unless its ones of those games where halfway through something it says *insert disc 2* then theres 10 minutes of loading then you piut disc 1 back and nothing has changed, then I guess its irritating. All in good fun when its a good game, its the only excercise some people get ;P
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#73  Edited By penguindust
@metalhead87:   Did you ever go back and try to find the place where you picked up "The Professor"?  That whole section of the Omega station is closed off once you switch discs.  Two guards now block you from re-entering. 

@ajamafalous:     I know, I meant that the game was built a specific way with the console in mind and then those same limitations were applied to the PC version even though they didn't need to be for parity's sake.   
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Binman88

I play games on the PC, so no :P

I haven't bought a game with more than one disc on my PS3, but it would probably bother me.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#75  Edited By Jazz

They have games that come on more than one disc? 
Thats like....100gbs or something.  More than the pc version of Force Unleashed and MGS4 together. 
woah. 
That's insane. 
Next you'll be telling me that Monkey Island came on more than one floppy. 
MADNESS

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ryanwho

For any other product, getting two of something for the price of one is considered a good thing.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By BraveToaster

No

ScottishGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ScottishGamer

Nope. It did when I only had a 20GB Xbox 360, because after saving the second disc for Forza 3, along with disc one, I only had enough space for a few demos!  :( 

Kiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Kiro

Yeah, it's annoying to swap discs, but i can look past it if the game is good.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#80  Edited By Faint

i didnt mind it at all in the final fantasy ps1 days. i felt like i was getting value for money even and it just meant that when i had to change disks in the game id know approximately how far in to the game i was

krisgebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By krisgebis
@InfamousBIG: 
But then you have to sit and wait 5-7min for it to install a different chapter to the HDD. Hardly a substitute worth braggin about. Actually makes them look stupid for using that joke (they are taking longer then a disc swap would do).
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

If someone "hates" this, he needs to look at him/herself and GTFO.

There's more stuff to complain about then just the amount of discs the game is on.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Azteck

I don't really mind. Hadn't experienced it before I played Mass Effect 2 but it wasn't much of a hassle. I sit maybe two meters from my xbox so it's just a matter of standing up and walking two steps forward. It only bothered me when I put the disc in, wanted to go to another region and had to get up just after sitting down. But in the end, it's not something I complain about 
Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

No.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#85  Edited By Jost1

Having played Wing Commander 4 and The Pandora Directive back in the day, I'd have to say yes, I'm fine with disc swaps. Or at least I were?

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By tomance

I really don't care.  If I get a better game out if it, that's fine.  I have the new 360 so my HDD is big.  I'm sure there will be some option like Forza to install the other discs and just leave the one in.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#87  Edited By EpicSteve

No, I never understood why it matters.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By c1337us

No issues here.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By gunslingerNZ
@LiquidPrince: Or you could play it on Steam and have no discs at all :). Answering the question though yes it does annoy me, I've only ever had to do it for PC game installs and PS1 games but I found it was a real inconvenience and broke my gaming flow.
glock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By glock

i like it unless it's legend of dragoon with 4 effing disks 

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By fuzzyponken

ONE disc bothers me. I hate dealing with fucking discs. Steam has spoiled me to the point where I view disc based media as about as ancient as floppies. Everything should be digital and stored on hard drives by now. Bring on the future. 

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#92  Edited By MetalBaofu
@PenguinDust said:
" @metalhead87:   Did you ever go back and try to find the place where you picked up "The Professor"?  That whole section of the Omega station is closed off once you switch discs.  Two guards now block you from re-entering.
I'm pretty sure those kind of areas close off as soon as you finish them...not because you switched disc.  All of the story levels are closed off after you finish 'em from what I remember.   I'm working on another play through right now, so I'll have to try and remember to check it out.
The_Painted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By The_Painted

It doesn't really matter to me if a game has more than one disc, I don't mind having to move a few feet to switch them. That being said, I buy a lot of my games for the PS3 so I haven't really had to deal with it since I played the first Metal Gear Solid a while back.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#94  Edited By WickedCobra03
Meh.  It is not bad at all for RPG's and such that when you switch discs, you really don't have to go back.   But yeah, games like Gran Turismo kind of annoyed me with Arcade on one disc and Simulation on another.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By LiquidPrince
@gunslingerNZ said:
" @LiquidPrince: Or you could play it on Steam and have no discs at all :). Answering the question though yes it does annoy me, I've only ever had to do it for PC game installs and PS1 games but I found it was a real inconvenience and broke my gaming flow. "
Nah, I like physically owning my things, and that will never change.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By iam3green

no, it doesn't bother me that much.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Gabriel

When I found out Syphon Filter 2 came on TWO disks I was pretty stoked. 

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Gabriel
@Krisgebis said:
" @InfamousBIG:  But then you have to sit and wait 5-7min for it to install a different chapter to the HDD. Hardly a substitute worth braggin about. Actually makes them look stupid for using that joke (they are taking longer then a disc swap would do). "
Yo you get to watch Snake Smoke for 7 minutes quite complaining. 
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#99  Edited By AgentJ

If its a one time switch, or if they have like the multiplayer on one disc and the singleplayer on the other, than it definitely isn't a problem. Mass Effect 2 kind of bugged me though because I had to do it at least 2-3 different times.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By ViciousReiven

I don't mind really mind, but I think developers should allow you to do the multiple install to make it seamless as an option, I know one game did do that, don't see why others don't.